SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dandelion: in withdrawal from fluoxetine, want to taper venlafaxine in the future

Dandelion

Hello there,

I'm Dandelion, and I'm here because I guess I did everything wrong in coming off psychiatric drugs. I didn't know better.

I'm female, in my mid 30s and been on psychiatric drugs since I was 20. I've been diagnosed and treated mainly for depression and lately anxiety amidst some other problems I don't want to go into detail at this point. 

I've also had lots of therapy, some more helpful than other. Almost 4 years ago I found a new therapist and for the first time felt really major improvement. It was hard work but I felt I had really changed. So about a year ago I decided it was time to come off psychiatric drugs which never really helped me in the first place. But I was always too scared to go off and of course doctors said taking them was no problem.

I went off lamotrigine first in 09/2017 , cold turkey as I know now, but didn't have any problems. I still think I don't have any withdrawal from that, I don't know why, it's just my gut telling my that one was not the problem (could be wrong of course).

Then in 11/2018 I tapered fluoxetine really fast, a drug which I had taken for over 10 years. I went from 20mg to 10mg in maybe 2 weeks and then straight to 0. I did not have any problems at first ... which I believe now is due to the long half-life of the drug.

I was still (and am again) on quetiapine to help me sleep, I wanted to get rid of that later.

Then came a stressful life phase and I became more and more irritable.

In 02/2018 I had my first panic attack which I had never experienced before. Within weeks I deteriorated in a way I could never have imagined. I was severely depressed, constantly anxious, had recurring panic attacks and thought my life was over. I could not understand what send me into this downward spiral. All I had achieved in therapy was gone and nothing helped. My body was going crazy, my heart was racing all the time and I was shaking, unable to eat or sleep.

Then came my second mistake, the first one being coing cold turkey off drugs:

I turned to my doctor for help. He gave me more drugs and said I was sick because I stopped the fluoxetine and this clearly showed I needed it. I began taking fluoxetine again but it didn't help.

I ended up in the hospital because I was doing so bad. They told me the old myth of the "chemical imbalance" in my brain that needed drugs. They started and stopped several drugs, none of which helped me. When I complained about not getting better the answer was more drugs. 

I left the hospital on 225mg Venlafaxine, 15mg Mirtazapine, 50mg Quetiapine and went back to my doctor. He did not believe me when I said the hospital didn't really help and wanted to add Lamotrigine - again.

At this point I said stop.

No more.

I am not taking any more of this stuff and I am going off these drugs.

I still did not know I was going too fast and so I went ct on the mirtazapine and started tapering the venlafaxine.

Finally, I did some research myself and realized what horrible mistakes I had made. I stopped tapering since I need a break. I am currently on 150mg venlafaxine and 50mg quetiapine and will stay on that dosage at least till the end of the year, probably longer.

I am deeply unhappy that I have to stay on these drugs that much longer but it has been just too much. It has been literally hell for me.

I am so angry with my doctor and doctors in general for giving me false information and not believing me.

I am however very thankful for my therapist who believes and supports me.

For many long months, every day has been agony. Now I believe I am in the waves and windows phase, with waves usually lasting 1-3 weeks and then I have a window of maybe 1-3 days.

Cuttently I am experiecing a major wave which feels just as bad as ever: depression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, extreme tiredness during the day, brain zaps, heart racing, feeling like I have the flu (though I don't), hopelessness, circling thoughts, brain fogginess, depersonalisation. This current wave seems to last longer and feels more intense than the last one, but I've also had two major stressors (life changes). 

What I'm doing to help myself:

- therapy

- mindfulness exercises and meditation

- exercise

- writing

- reading about drug withdrawal

My nutrition and my sleep routine could be better to be honest. 

I'm taking supplements: Omega 3, vitamine D (blood test revealed a deficiency) , iron supplement (same), vitamine b12 (just started not too sure about that one).

Thank you to anyone who read my post. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Dandelion 

*2004-2017 various psychiatric drugs

*2017/2018: several drug switches by doctors, several cold turkeys and fast tapers, including lamotrigine ct, fluoxetine ct, mirtazapin ct, lorazepam ft, quetiapine dose changes, venlafaxine ft

* Venlafaxine4/2018 225mg, 07/2018 150mg . 09/2018 112,5mg,  after a few days back on 150mg

- long hold -

No slowly tapering since 3/2019

Currently at 87,5mg

* Quetiapine 50mg, been on it for several years (with dose changes)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dandelion: in withdrawal from fluoxetine, want to taper venlafaxine in the future
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Dandelion.  Sorry about the delay in approving your post.   Thank you for doing your drug signature.  Are you taking any supplements?  If so, please add them to your signature.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

After all the changes in drugs and the CT's, you need stability and are wise to stop tapering.  I would extend the hold a good bit longer than the end of the year. Your brain and central nervous system need stability.

We need to know about your symptoms and when they occur.  Please post a daily symptom chart for three days.  It should be a simple list with times and symptoms.  Include when you take your drugs and your sleep pattern. It should look something like this in format:

Monday

5 am  woke up, lots of anxiety

6 am anxiety worse

7 am took 150mg Venlaxafine

8 am anxiety a little better, some nausea

8:30 ate breakfast, cereal with milk

9 am took 50mg Quetiapine

11 am burning in feet, headache

12 McDonald's hamburger for lunch, Coca Cola, no appetite

3 pm anxiety returns

etc.

After you post this we can better assess your situation.

You are in withdrawal from your CT of Lorazepam, Mirtazapine and fluoxetine.  So you understand what you're experiencing, the information in these links will be helpful:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

It's important to try and remain as calm as possible and not to panic.  It's important to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

You might find these helpful:

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This link contains helpful information, including dealing with doctors and insomnia. 

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you so much for replying Gridley. 

I admit it is hard not to panic. I tend to grab anything that might help, sometimes maybe adding more stress to my nervous system. It's hard to accept and be patient.

I added the supplements I am taking to my signature. I will try and do the 3-day daily symptom chart as soon as I can.

I agree that I will probably have to wait longer until I can start to taper again. The thought of "poisoning" myself with this stuff for another couple if years is just awful. But I guess I don't have much of a choice... so I will learn patience...

Dandelion

*2017/2018: several drug switches by doctors, several cold turkeys and fast tapers, including lamotrigine ct, fluoxetine ct, mirtazapin ct, lorazepam ft, quetiapine dose changes, venlafaxine ft

* Venlafaxine4/2018 225mg, 07/2018 150mg . 09/2018 112,5mg,  after a few days back on 150mg

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Dandelion.

Please post your daily drug and symptom notes as Gridley requested. It could be one of your drugs is causing some of your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

The thought of "poisoning" myself with this stuff for another couple if years is just awful. But I guess I don't have much of a choice

Most of the members here feel the same way.  However, the better way of looking at it is that even though you are still on a drug, you are reducing it.  And by reducing it slowly you are allowing your brain to adapt to the changes as you go.

This might help you to be patient:

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Altostrata and ChessieCat, thank you both for replying. I am trying to hold in to the thought that although I feel awful, my brain is actually repairing itself.

I started taking notes today and will post when I have notes for 3 days.

Thank you all for being welcoming and trying to help.

Dandelion

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

Hi there,

so I took notes for 3 days which I posted below. I appreciate you comments/help.

FRIDAY 

8am: Woke up (alarm clock), sad tired and a bit anxious. Took 150mg venlafaxine, 2000mg fish oil, 100mg iron supplement, 5000 I.E. vitamine D witch some orange juice. Hungry, sugared pancakes with fruit for breakfast + coffee

9 am: increased physical symptoms, heart racing, tired

10 am: was able to distract myself

11 am: hungry, low mood, went outside, experienced dizziness and depersonalisation/derealisation

12am: went to work feeling ill (like the flu),  hot flashes,  chicken sandwich and coffee for lunch

1pm-3pm: distracted during work, felt a little better

4pm: way home, intense sweating, low mood, sad

5pm: distracted

6pm: took a bath, body felt better, mood still low

7pm: breakdown, crying, hopelessness, felt slightly better after talking; dinner: sandwiches with salami, tomatoes

8-9pm: watched some tv

10 pm: more physical symptoms present, brain zaps, internal "humming"; took 50mg quetiapin and 2000mg fish oil

11pm-1am: couldn't sleep, read some stuff online, lay awake in bed for 1 h

SATURDAY

10 am woke up, felt numb in the head, sad mood, took 150mg venlafaxine, 2000mg fish oil, 100mg iron supplement, 5000 I.E. vitamine D witch some orange juice. Hungry, sugared pancakes with fruit for breakfast + coffee

11 am: felt irritable, heart racing, low mood

12am physical symptoms a little better

2pm: sad, ruminating thoughts, hungry (skipped lunch though)

3pm: ate 3 muffins and drank some orange juice

5pm: ate another muffin

6pm: cleaned the flat for 1 h ,felt productive and a little better

9pm: dinner indian food an a non-alcoholic beer

10pm: praticed mindfulness exercises, mood a little better afterwards, internal humming still strong

11pm: had black tea with sugar and watched tv, heart racing 

12pm: took 50mg quetiapin and 2000mg fish oil, went to bed, some axiety, took some time to fall asleep

SUNDAY

10 am: got up, experienced physical symptoms (feeling ill, brain zaps), had 2 coffees, yoghurt with fruit and sugar. Took 150mg venlafaxine, 2000mg fish oil, 100mg iron supplement, 5000 I.E. vitamine D witch some orange juice

12 am: still hungry, worry thoughts, experienced depersonalisation/derealisation

1pm: lunch 2 sandwiches with salami

2pm-4pm: long walk outside, felt ok mood-wise but intese dp/dr and dizziness; had coffee and a muffin as snack

5pm: took a bath, ruminating thoughts, heart racing

6pm: distracted with some housework

7pm: lots of worry thoughts, ruminating

8pm: chicken soup for dinner

9pm: watched tv, had a hot chocolate, heart racing/pounding, brain zaps

10:30 pm: took 50mg quetiapin and 2000mg fish oil

11pm: praticed mindfulness exercises

12pm: went to bed with anxiety, took some time to fall asleep

Dandelion

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

I'm having a really bad day today. Had a therapy session which I spent mostly crying unable to describe what is going on in my mind and body. My therapist is empathetic but she can't do anything to help me on days like this. Now I have a headache from all the crying. I feel so exhausted. What gets me most is this tiredness all the time.

If I wasn't so far out with my cold turkey withdrawals, I'd reinstate, but I wouldn't even know which drug to reinstate. I'm 216 days off fluoxetine, 201 days off lorazepam, 176 days off mirtazapine, 51 days since my last dose change of venlafaxine. What a mess.

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dandelion, just thought I'd offer some empathy and encouragement. I can tell that you are making some very proactive and positive choices by working with your therapist, practicing mindfulness, and taking notes of your symptoms. I encourage you to focus on going to bed early for full sleep, which will promote the brain to heal. You can also take this time to learn more about nutrition and provide your body/brain with nourishing fruits and vegetables that will also promote healing. 

I experienced something very similar to the panic attack/downward spiral that you mention, and it was also due to withdrawal. The sense of impending doom, dark suicidal thoughts, and uncontrollable levels of anxiety and stress during that time was so overwhelming. That combination of immense suffering seems unique to this experience of antidepressant withdrawal. The brain is so shocked by the changes in neurochemistry brought on by the reduced dose, and it responds in nightmare-ish ways. No one can truly know what this is like unless they have been through it themselves or witnessed someone close suffering through it. Have heart knowing that you have probably gone through the worst of it. Yes, some waves will feel similar, but nothing will be as unbearable. You have survived and fought for yourself during that initial nightmare which is a huge testament to your inner strength.

What does your support network look like? Do you have family and even trusted friends that you have confided in about this? I find that has been so crucial to me in this journey. 

I am also fairly young as well (in my 20s). I've found comfort in knowing that there is still so much more to come in life. One day we WILL be off our drugs and enjoying life and our abilities to the fullest extent. That day will come. 

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

Hello composter,

thank you for yout empathy and encouragement. As for your suggestions on my sleep and nutrition, I totally agree. I did know it was sort of messed up, but writing/ reading it here makes me realize there is a lot if room for improvement.

I don't know why but sugar seems to help with these spikes of extreme physical symptoms yet overall it's not good for me...

Also I realize I am doing better when I go to bed early and get lots of sleep. I've just always been a night owl and this is something I need to learn.

I do have a small support network which I can talk to about withdrawal, mainly my husband and my therapist. There are some friends where I can be open about my "psych issues", I haven't talked to anyone about withdrawal yet. I'm worried about people not believing me or me annoying them. 

Being alone with it and constantly doubting myself is the hardest part for me. My husband, friends and therapist get that I am in a really bad place and try

to be supportive, but the kind of questions/suggestions they ask/make sometimes show me that they don't really understand. Not because they don't want to, but because it's so difficult and changing all the time. This makes me feel very alone. I feel like I lost connection with other human beings to some degree and I can only hope I get that back one day. I am so disconnected from the world and myself. 

What also gets me is that my suffering is so pointless. It could have been avoided so easily. I know that this is not a thought that is helping me in any way but it is still there. I somehow need to come to terms with it. Maybe find some meaning in it or just learn to take it as it is.

Dandelion

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

Hey,

not to be impatient or anything (I realize this is a very busy forum + everyone's got a life and possibly withdrawal of their own to deal with) but since I was explicitly asked to post this 3-day-symptom-chart...

If anyone has something to add/ideas/comments... I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you all,

Dandelion

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Part of this process of healing is learning to accept what is happening to us.  If you had a broken leg you know you need to treat yourself the right way so that it can heal.  You wouldn't go out for a run etc.  The brain is the same, except that we can't see what is happening which makes it harder to look after ourselves and be patient.  Acceptance

Another member said this:

15 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

What your saying to me is you need to learn techniques to manage your life whilst in WITHDRAWAL! And they will also serve you well once you HEAL. 

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I was explicitly asked to post this 3-day-symptom-chart...

If anyone has something to add/ideas/comments... I'd very much appreciate it.

I have brought this to the mods' attention.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/6/2018 at 6:20 AM, Dandelion said:

Hungry, sugared pancakes with fruit for breakfast + coffee

9 am: increased physical symptoms, heart racing, tired

Hungry, sugared pancakes with fruit for breakfast + coffee

11 am: felt irritable, heart racing, low mood

11pm: had black tea with sugar and watched tv, heart racing 

10 am: got up, experienced physical symptoms (feeling ill, brain zaps), had 2 coffees, yoghurt with fruit and sugar

2pm-4pm: long walk outside, felt ok mood-wise but intese dp/dr and dizziness; had coffee and a muffin as snack

9pm: watched tv, had a hot chocolate, heart racing/pounding, brain zaps

Caffeine and other chemicals in coffee, tea, and hot chocolate can cause or contribute to heart symptoms such as racing heart and palpitations.  You could try cutting these out for a while to see if it makes a difference.  You're eating a lot of sugary foods which could also be contributing.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, Songbird said:

You're eating a lot of sugary foods

You might also be having low blood sugar when the sugar hits wear off.

Just did a search and found this topic rebound-hypoglycemia

and this post:

On 4/15/2014 at 8:15 PM, NoMeaning25 said:

I think this is what i might be dealing with. Every single time i eat something sweet i have a severe reaction - Dizziness, confusion, vertigo, heart palpitations, shakiness

What can i do about this? Do i need to go test myself for diabetes??? Im so dizzy i  can barey type. This is very disturbing.

A question for GiaK. Does the Anti-Histamine diet help for hypoglycaemia?

• Moderator Emeritus

Songbird and ChessieCat are giving great advice regarding diet, Dandelion.

A lot of people report issues with drops in blood sugar during withdrawal. You may find tweaking your diet to help, as others have mentioned. Here is some information on setting up a meal plan:

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) diet

Suggested meal plan - hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) diet

Eating meals and snacks with high protein and low sugar throughout the day can really help with these types of crashes. 

Hello there,

thank you all for replying.

Thank you for bringing the problems with my diet to my attention again. Of course I do know I'm not eating healthy, but avoidance/ looking the other way  is an issue for me. Also I did believe sugar was making me better because I always felt a little better directly after a sugary meal. Now I realize I might be making it worse with these sugar spikes and the following drops. I've always had low blood sugar in general (thank goodness), I even used a gluocse checker for a while. I will look into the topic of reactive hypoglycemia.

So for me it's important to focus on

- acceptance, patience & taking care of myself

- a better diet

- light exercise which I know I benefit from

- giving my stressed out brain a break - by staying on the same dose for a while, avoiding stress, avoiding over-stimulating (I spend way to much time on my phone)

Dandelion

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

• Administrator

Hello, Dandelion.

You might do better with complex carbs, such as whole-grain toast, beans, and potatoes, rather than sugar. Complex carbs don't cause blood sugar spikes. Orange juice is also high in sugar.

Aside from that, did you have a craving for sugar before venlafaxine and quetiapine?

Back to your symptom pattern. When you started venlafaxine in May, did it make you feel better? What happened after you reduced it to 112.5mg? Why did you go back to 150mg?

What happens after you take quetiapine at night? How do you feel after you take it? What is your sleep pattern?

Do you take any other drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Altostata,

thank you for taking the time and replying to me. 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:09 PM, Altostrata said:

Aside from that, did you have a craving for sugar before venlafaxine and quetiapine

I honestly can't remember, I've been taking quetiapine for years now...

Back to your symptom pattern. When you started venlafaxine in May, did it make you feel better? What happened after you reduced it to 112.5mg? Why did you go back to 150mg?

Venlafaxin did not make me feel better. I agreed to take it and keep taking it because I was so desperate and doctors kept telling me it would help. It did nothing for what I believe is the initial fluoxetine withdrawal, maybe even made it worse because the dose was changed constantly. It added some extra problems in the beginning like intense trembling (which is gone now) and sweating (which persists). Apart from that I can't really tell what is withdrawal and what are side effects at this point. When I reduced it to 112,5mg I felt worse, more depressed. I also started reading about the dangers of ADs and about slow tapering. I finally realized that I was going way to fast which is why I went back to 150mg and decided to stay on that dose fo a while.

What happens after you take quetiapine at night? How do you feel after you take it? What is your sleep pattern?

When I take quetiapine it takes about half an hour to an hour for me to get really tired, then I go to bed and sleep. If I miss the right time to go to bed after I take it, the effect will wear off and I have real trouble falling asleep. I started taking it years ago because it was always hard for me to fall asleep, I used to lie in bed awake for hours. The quetiapine actually helped and still helps with that, but in the long run, I want to be drug-free. My natural sleep cycle would be quite different from the one I am forcing myself into. If I could, I'd go to bed somewhere between 1-2am and sleept till 10am. But since I've got university and work, I try to go to bed around 11pm and get up between 7-8am. I don't sleep well and I'm always tired in the morning.

Do you take any other drugs?

I don't take any other drugs apart from the psychiatric drugs and the supplements listed in my signature.

Dandelion

- long hold -

Currently at 87,5mg

• Administrator

ChessieCat is correct, sugar and caffeine may cause some symptoms.

You consume a lot of sugar. When was the last time you had a test for blood sugar level? Quetiapine is notorious for insulin dysregulation and weight gain (as is mirtazapine). Overall, if I were you, I'd minimize sugar consumption.

Please take venlafaxine at the same time each day. Can you take it at 8 a.m. and have breakfast at 10 a.m.? I need more detail about what happens after you take venlafaxine, but the coffee and sugar might be causing the symptoms in the morning, separating venlafaxine from breakfast would bring more clarity.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dandelion, 

Just wanted to let you know I’m on Seroquel as well. Great advice from Gridley to hold a lot longer than the end of the year before you start tapering. We should never taper according to a calendar. We need to be stable for a while before we taper again. When you cold turkey or taper too quickly it can take much longer to stabilise. 

I put on tons of weight with the Seroquel but it fell off when I cut out sugar and garbage. Please cut out the sugar and caffeine from your diet or at least cut it down. I’ve read that people can get diabetes while on Seroquel so we need to do the things that are in our power such as cutting down sugar. 

Take care💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.