wanttosurvive

Ladies, please anyone recovered from PMS/PMDD

wanttosurvive

Hi,

I am over 10 months off drugs. I have seen some improvement in regard to wd. However, 10 days ago 'A BIG WAVE' hit and now I see myself as if I am back to 6 months earlier. I know this is the nature of wd....Praying things will settle again....

But currently my problem is premenstrual issues. Since I quit the drugs every menstrual cycle is a problem but my distress is incresing (nausea, stomach discomfort, extreme fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, depression, cortisol awakenings, joint pain, dizziness, vertigo like feeling, headache, edema all over my hands, feet, face, etc.) although my wd symptoms are improving. 

I mean when I was at 5 months off, wd was horrible but PMS was more managable. But now I am over 10 months off and PMS is draving me crazy. I do not know is this because I am also in a terrible wave?

Please anyone recovered from PMS/ PMDD?

Peachy

@wanttosurvive

I would also love to hear story of women healing from this... I am REALLY struggling every period, like you.

wanttosurvive

Really looking for good news...🙏

xyz
On 11/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, wanttosurvive said:

Really looking for good news...🙏

yes it was really bad for me. i had a wave at 9 months out that caused me to re-instate.

in my case, i am in my early 40's and this is a tender age for a woman.

i had a saliva test done and my level of progesterone dip drastically a week before my periods.  progesterone is a natural calming hormones that also works on the gaba receptors. 

it starts to build back up a couple  of days after the periods end.

the worst was the 2 first years. i had to hold my taper 2 weeks out of the month (it was as if i CT'ed my meds at each pms) and now i can micro taper through it.

hang in there, like everything else, it will pass!

wanttosurvive
1 hour ago, xyz said:

yes it was really bad for me. i had a wave at 9 months out that caused me to re-instate.

in my case, i am in my early 40's and this is a tender age for a woman.

i had a saliva test done and my level of progesterone dip drastically a week before my periods.  progesterone is a natural calming hormones that also works on the gaba receptors. 

it starts to build back up a couple  of days after the periods end.

the worst was the 2 first years. i had to hold my taper 2 weeks out of the month (it was as if i CT'ed my meds at each pms) and now i can micro taper through it.

hang in there, like everything else, it will pass!

Hi Xyz,

Thank you for your reply. How can I express my feelings? I am so desperate, I just needed an answer. Thank you very much....

I think I am in the wave, so-called '10 month wave'. It is soooo overwhelming and plus these menstrual issues, ugh...

Time and patience, nothing to do...

xyz
1 hour ago, wanttosurvive said:

Hi Xyz,

Thank you for your reply. How can I express my feelings? I am so desperate, I just needed an answer. Thank you very much....

I think I am in the wave, so-called '10 month wave'. It is soooo overwhelming and plus these menstrual issues, ugh...

Time and patience, nothing to do...

9-10 months wave is very common. just ride the wave.

the PMS symptoms will lessen with time. try to distract and stay busy. i know it is really hard.

i struggled a lot but in the end even while still tapering i am mentally better now than ever.

distraction and living one day at a time is the key. Time flies when you do that. sending you hugs.

wanttosurvive
32 minutes ago, xyz said:

the PMS symptoms will lessen with time. try to distract and stay busy. i know it is really hard.

i struggled a lot but in the end even while still tapering i am mentally better now than ever.

distraction and living one day at a time is the key. Time flies when you do that. sending you hugs.

Xyz, I am really grateful for your support. Yes, what I am trying to do is just to hold on.

I also send warm hugs from deep in my heart 🧡

Happy healing, 

Peachy
On 11/4/2018 at 2:32 AM, xyz said:

Thats good to hear! Are you healed from WD now? And it took 2 years AFTER you were off to stop having PMS? Or during your taper? 

Can I ask what symptoms you had? Mine are mostly mental/emotional.

Did you make your own liquid for the taper?

Thanks!! 

XX

xyz
11 hours ago, Peachy said:

Thats good to hear! Are you healed from WD now? And it took 2 years AFTER you were off to stop having PMS? Or during your taper? 

Can I ask what symptoms you had? Mine are mostly mental/emotional.

Did you make your own liquid for the taper?

Thanks!! 

XX

please see my signature for my meds history.

i am still micro tapering.

symptoms were both mental and physical.

if you have have Ct'ed a benzo, well my symptoms were similar.

panic attacks, head and body buzzing, hot/cold, insomnia, cortisol surge etc.

now it is back to normal Pms and i can micro taper through it.

i believe that 2 years ago, i was destabilized and the the dip in progesterone each months sent me back into withdrawal. now that my gaba receptor are healing through a slow taper, my periods are not as bad anymore.

Junglechicken

I'm having awful PMS too (7 months from last AD dose) and very irregular periods.

FSH came back as "normal", but am borderline with "the change".

Peachy

Thanks @xyz !

I'm really glad that is resolved for you! 

How long of a time did the bad PMS last for you? I know we are all different. Mine has been bad for 2.5 years now, but worse the last few months...

Thanks!

xyz
1 hour ago, Peachy said:

Thanks @xyz !

I'm really glad that is resolved for you! 

How long of a time did the bad PMS last for you? I know we are all different. Mine has been bad for 2.5 years now, but worse the last few months...

Thanks!

2.5 years

Isabellax
On 10/31/2018 at 11:48 AM, wanttosurvive said:

Hi,

I am over 10 months off drugs. I have seen some improvement in regard to wd. However, 10 days ago 'A BIG WAVE' hit and now I see myself as if I am back to 6 months earlier. I know this is the nature of wd....Praying things will settle again.... 

But currently my problem is premenstrual issues. Since I quit the drugs every menstrual cycle is a problem but my distress is incresing (nausea, stomach discomfort, extreme fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, depression, cortisol awakenings, joint pain, dizziness, vertigo like feeling, headache, edema all over my hands, feet, face, etc.) although my wd symptoms are improving. 

I mean when I was at 5 months off, wd was horrible but PMS was more managable. But now I am over 10 months off and PMS is draving me crazy. I do not know is this because I am also in a terrible wave?

Please anyone recovered from PMS/ PMDD?

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I 'm 13 months off all drugs I was improving steadily in terms of wd symptoms.

2 months now, 4 days before my period starts I feel like a big wave hits me. I feel super stressed, want to cry, feel achy like I have the flu, dizzy and so so so unwell.

I never had any issues with period and PMS before and during taking medication. I 'm desperate now cause I don't know how to handle this new situation. I feel like I 'm going backwards

in terms of improvement.

I want to do some hormonal tests and see if I have any imbalance. If anyone knows what's the best test to check hormones (saliva or blood) and when it should be done

I would be grateful to get some insight.

wanttosurvive

Hi Isabellax,

I have not done any hormonal tests, also I do not plan to. On the other hand, I have lots of other wd symptoms, I do not apply any doctor for them. Here doctors do not have any idea about the severity of wd...

Misc

Hi, 

Have you ever tried inositol? I take 4g daily, it helped me a lot with the awful PMS symptoms. 

Link to SA's topic:  inositol

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to topic

wanttosurvive

Hi Misc,

Thank you for your advice, but I am afraid to use anything. Since I react everything do not use any supplement. But thanks indeed.

ChessieCat
On 11/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, Misc said:

Have you ever tried inositol? I take 4g daily, it helped me a lot with the awful PMS symptoms. 

Link to SA's topic:  inositol

Sheera

Hey Ladies—I’m having the same issues with PMS right now. It’s so terrible.  My sleep and mood is greatly affected and I never know what I’m going to get. Right now I’m SO ANGRY. I want to be alone. I can’t think or follow conversations or get jokes. I am overwhelmed by my schedule (which is silly because I’m on Christmas break). It’s strange too because I am at 2 years off all drugs and I don’t remember it being this terrible in the beginning.  I think it might be because I’m feeling a higher level of WD normal during the other parts of my cycle and so the desperation and despair I feel during PMS is a shock to my system. I let my guard down and then BOOM—an emotional spiral. 

I have to think that this is just another step in the healing process. I am 42 and so I think my hormones are out of whack anyway—this just makes it 1000000 times worse.  

I have noticed improvement in my cycle length. I was averaging 21 days for my cycle—😭—and now it’s 22. Haha doesn’t seem like much but one extra day without symptoms is amazing. 

Just going to try and get through today knowing that it will pass. It always does. 

Sheera

wanttosurvive

Hi Sheera,

When I first started this topic in October 31th, I was so desperate.... crying, shouting... like I was changing into a monster within days. I was SUICIDAL.... I also had lots of physical symptoms. 

Now it has passed 2 months. I do not understand I am also in a premenstureal period now but with little symptoms. The period in November was also tolerable. Maybe this is because I am in a bright window right now. Who knows? But I am sure about that when period comes in a wave it is awful and when it comes in a window it is more tolerable. 

Hugs 🧡🧡🧡

WarriorWomanLV

I'm so happy to read this, wanttosurvive! My PMDD diagnosis is the reason i was handed lexapro in the 1st place. Glad to know it gets better!

Eleda
On 11/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, xyz said:

What is 9-10 months wave? I have very bad pms, it's been the worst ever now, and I'm soon in my 9th month off lexapro. 

wanttosurvive

Hi Eleda,

I definitely believe in these periods when waves rear their ugly face. My acute WD typically lasted 4-6 weeks, then I got the honeymoon period, which exactly ended in the cutoff point of 3. month. Then again exactly at the begining of 5. month I began to experience new, weird symptoms that I was unfamiliar with.  I call this month 'The horrible 5'. Then again I started the experience typical waves and windows and at 10 month I experienced 10 month wave ( which started exactly 21 october, my last dose was 17 december). 

And my 10. month wave was the second worse after 5.

I do not want to frighten anyone but this was the exactly what had happened. 

You can read the topic 'Are We There Yet? How Long is Wd Going to Take' by BRASSMONKEY. He perfectly describes these milestones.

Hugs 🧡

xyz
3 hours ago, Eleda said:

What is 9-10 months wave? I have very bad pms, it's been the worst ever now, and I'm soon in my 9th month off lexapro. 

my 9-10 months waves was worst than acute. i was off klonopin that i tapered very fast.

i didn't know what was happening to me.

since you know it now, just ride through it. i have heard that after this, it gets easier.

i didn't know and re-instated on valium. :(

by the time i will be done with my second taper off benzo, it would have taken me 3 years...

so ride through it.

my periods are almost normal now.

wanttosurvive
4 hours ago, xyz said:

my 9-10 months waves was worst than acute. i was off klonopin that i tapered very fast.

i didn't know what was happening to me.

since you know it now, just ride through it. i have heard that after this, it gets easier.

i didn't know and re-instated on valium. :(

by the time i will be done with my second taper off benzo, it would have taken me 3 years...

so ride through it.

my periods are almost normal now.

Xyz, you give me strenght.

When I have first written about this topic, you said 'Just ride the wave'. This was true. Waves will come again, but eventually it will all pass.

Happy healing 🧡

Eleda

Thank you, I have so much to learn! I just had the worst wave yet, with insane pms symptoms, I didn’t feel like I had any more fight left in me, so I reinstated Lexapro, but it made me really sick, so I had to stop. I’m now really happy it did, because I regret it so much now that I know it was a wave and that it will get better. 

xyz
26 minutes ago, Eleda said:

Thank you, I have so much to learn! I just had the worst wave yet, with insane pms symptoms, I didn’t feel like I had any more fight left in me, so I reinstated Lexapro, but it made me really sick, so I had to stop. I’m now really happy it did, because I regret it so much now that I know it was a wave and that it will get better. 

Eleda,

believe me i had the worst PMS ever!

i was so suicidal that i had to run to my neighbor until my husband came home.

i am glad that you didn't re-instate. the most valuable lesson that i have learned is that "Nothing last, don't fear the feeling". Let it run its course, and it will go away on his own.

keep your mind on practical stuff, keep up with your day in and out task, . don't overthink your symptoms. your symptoms are signs of healing.

your nervous system will regulate itself, and return to normal.

Eleda

I also get suicidal, this time it was extremely bad, that’s why I thought I needed the pills, because they help with pms. I have one week of relief from pms every month, it’s so bad, so I got a bit desperate. But now I know, I’ll try to stay focused on the healing and ride it out. It’s easier when I actually understand what’s happening to me, even though it’s still a living hell. So happy I found this site ❤️

ChessieCat
1 hour ago, Eleda said:

It’s easier when I actually understand what’s happening to me

Yes, the understanding means that we know what is going on and don't get the second fear.  Or fear of the fear.

wanttosurvive
7 hours ago, Eleda said:

I also get suicidal, this time it was extremely bad, that’s why I thought I needed the pills, because they help with pms. I have one week of relief from pms every month, it’s so bad, so I got a bit desperate. But now I know, I’ll try to stay focused on the healing and ride it out. It’s easier when I actually understand what’s happening to me, even though it’s still a living hell. So happy I found this site ❤️

Eleda,

Before WD I had never had PMS, like I had never had other weird symptoms of this unusual disease. I know it does not make sense now but although I had only taken the drugs for couple of months now I am paying the price for months and maybe years of suffering of my life. WD ruined my last 1,5 years. I am still semi-homebound, do not work, still live my parents. Although now I have regained my courage to live alone (I had lived alone for the last 8 years before WD) I can not move since I have financial problems. Now waiting for some time to heal much more in order to start to work again. 

In regard to premenstureal issues it is definitely changing. I do not know how it has happened. But at month 10, I was just like you. Suicidal, frustrated, confused... I do not understand, now again I am waiting my period, but I am better. I think since you are 9 months off drugs, the reason for increased symptoms is the common wave occuring at that time.

Take care🧡

xyz

ladies,

we should get a medal for surviving PMS every month while in withdrawal.

i had PMS before but just the cranky and tired type, when the wave hit me, i lost sleep days at time and was worried over silly things. and then bam one day, it turned into akathisia.

like you Eleda, i only had 1 week of relief in a month. now it is just a couple of days (they are bad cramps and a lot of swearing)

getting back on the med, didn't help me much. slowly tapering them taught me a lot more about acceptance and gave me trust that i would recover.

it is harder when you are off drugs because having symptoms at 9-10 months out doesn't seem to make sense. but for the nervous system that works behind the scene, it does.

the worst wave usually brings the best  window, i bet in 2 or 3 months, you will feel a mile better.

if you are healthy enough, try to exercise. cardio work regulates hormones production and trains your nervous system to be more resilient to stress.

boymom

Hey all. trying to figure this forum stuff out. I have not made my introduction but I will. YES! I have been diagnosed with PMDD in this last year. I am 40. 4 yrs ago I was misdiagnosed as having a brain tumor and it caused me anxiety. duh. they put me on 25mg zoloft and I stayed on it for 3 yrs NC my doc said I would never be able to come off of them. that I was just "wired differently" than. other people. yeah he said that. anyway I weaned myself off super slowly even though doc told me I could have quit cold Turkey from such a low dose. yeah he said that too. 4 months later is when I literally felt like I was losing my mind. it was like postpartum depression with the thoughts. other than when I had ppd I had never experienced anything like this but this way about 100x worse. it was withdrawals and I knew it but my dr argued with me and made me feel crazy so in the name of doing anything for my family I went back on them. he wouldnt hear that these "swings" were happening worse from ovulation to menses and then disappeared for a week or so. I'm weaning from lexapro 10mg now. down from 20mg. didnt have suicidal thoughts until they upped the ssri. not alone 

wanttosurvive
On 12/31/2018 at 10:36 AM, wanttosurvive said:

Eleda,

Before WD I had never had PMS, like I had never had other weird symptoms of this unusual disease. I know it does not make sense now but although I had only taken the drugs for couple of months now I am paying the price for months and maybe years of suffering of my life. WD ruined my last 1,5 years. I am still semi-homebound, do not work, still live my parents. Although now I have regained my courage to live alone (I had lived alone for the last 8 years before WD) I can not move since I have financial problems. Now waiting for some time to heal much more in order to start to work again. 

In regard to premenstureal issues it is definitely changing. I do not know how it has happened. But at month 10, I was just like you. Suicidal, frustrated, confused... I do not understand, now again I am waiting my period, but I am better. I think since you are 9 months off drugs, the reason for increased symptoms is the common wave occuring at that time.

Take care🧡

Ladies Hi,

I am sorry but I have to update my recent situation, since I am now in terrible PMS again.

MY PERIOD IS LATE.

Moreover, 4 days ago a new wave hit. Current symptoms of the wave are as follows:

1. Nausea in the morning, terrible stomach pain in the afternoon and then

2. Increased brain fog

3. Headache,

4. Hot flushes (most probably this is because of PMS)

5. Cortisol awakening (Thanks God, it is much much better when compared with old days)

5. Unbearable morning anxiety

6. Pronounced edema in lips, chin, central face, hands, feet (edema is my WD symptom, but in general it is more pronounded in PMS)

7. Not suicidal but in extreme anger

8. Extreme lack of energy

9. Anhedonia

On the other hand, I got unconditional symptoms that I got everytime (tooth ache, pins and needles like sensation, jaw pain, etc....) this is about the wave. Maybe my period is late because of the wave, I do not know.

My tummy is 4-5 times bigger than the original.... as if I am a pregnant in her 3rd trimester. 

But I have good news, I did not get the following sypmtoms that I had in earlier months in PMS

1. Noise, light, motion sensitivity,

2. Dizziness

3. Muscle pain and joint pain (I got muscle and joint 15 days earlier, passed, I know will come again but I do not have now)

This was the update....But I am really sorry, although things are getting better, I am in torture now,  :(

xyz
On 1/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, wanttosurvive said:

This was the update....But I am really sorry, although things are getting better, I am in torture now,  :(

Hi WTS, sorry to hear that you have a bad one this month.

it was up and down for me for while then it steadied out now.

for the last 2 Pms it was mostly very bad cramp and feeling vulnerable. so a lot of progress.

i still get this "i wish i was gone" but then it passes.

don't worry too much, no days are the same.

keep living your life.

wanttosurvive

Xyz, thank you for your kind support...

My period has just recently started...

But the wave continues in its extreme severity.... Indeed, I  must accept this, since I am only over 1 year off drugs. It is so unfair, but this is a brutal disease. 

On the other hand, in general I can easily say that if the period comes in a wave, it is awful, but if it comes in a window, it is more tolerable. Most probably, lots of the symptoms that I experience just merely linked with the wave...I do not know...

Best wishes...

Junglechicken

I'm also at the "magic 10 months off" Lexapro.

Just had a VERY heavy period which lasted 4-5 days.  It started on the 1st Jan.

Off the back of which I started having very painful cystitis symptoms.

GP said it was normal to be passing g blood in urine 12 days after my period started.

She said an inflamed womb can irritate the bladder, which I think is what is happening here.

We discussed the coil and oestrogen HRT to help reduce peri-menopause symptoms.

wanttosurvive
23 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

I'm also at the "magic 10 months off" Lexapro.

Just had a VERY heavy period which lasted 4-5 days.  It started on the 1st Jan.

Off the back of which I started having very painful cystitis symptoms.

GP said it was normal to be passing g blood in urine 12 days after my period started.

She said an inflamed womb can irritate the bladder, which I think is what is happening here.

We discussed the coil and oestrogen HRT to help reduce peri-menopause symptoms.

Hi Junglechicken,

I do not want to confuse you, but please think twice before starting HRT. Since we are so sensitive, even sensitivite to supplements, foods, exercise, anything that is indeed good for us, before starting any medication, we should carefully think about the outcomes. HRT may completely change your system, balance and your CNS may be quite easily affected. Hormones are closely linked with CNS. 

Take care,