☼ JackieDecides: off Lexapro / escitalopram, tapering omeprazole

JackieDecides

I survived my first day at my new job!!!  😊

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Well done!

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

8 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

I survived my first day at my new job!!!  😊

kuddos!

see...

was it worth all the stress?

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

are you saying the stress is optional? because it doesn't seem like that....I try NOT to stress as much as possible, I really do. 

I hope to get better at it.

today I am grateful I know my new manager and what the facility looks like and should know at least somebody on my schedule today. maybe more than one. so it will be better than yesterday. 

I got good sleep again last night and I am very grateful for that. honestly think I got at least 7 hours, maybe even 7 1/2? that's great. that should never get old! 

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

19 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

are you saying the stress is optional? because it doesn't seem like that....I try NOT to stress as much as possible, I really do. 

No it is not... Sorry if I made it sound this way. This is something that I usually ask myself after fact and try to remember for the next time.

You will see that once you settle down in your living and working situation,  things will get a lot better.

And you seem to find work easily (to me) so this is re assuring, right?

Glad you were able to sleep. Hope this will be more and more of a trend from now on.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

Day 3 at my new job, the first two went okay but after I got home I sort of fell apart: one day I had potato chips and chocolate covered pretzels for dinner, and last night I had wine. 

So, not ideal behavior.

My goal for today is pretty easy: after work don't have any candy or wine.

And hopefully get in a walk as soon as it cools off.

Today I'm grateful that I'm not back at the jobs I had in Colorado! They were harder than this and lower pay.

10 hours ago, xyz said:

And you seem to find work easily (to me) so this is re assuring, right?

This was true in Colorado Springs but the jobs were minimum wage and I couldn't survive on them.

This job is for real! 😲

there is a big change in the way Medicare pays for therapy in nursing homes coming up October, and there's probably going to be a lot fewer therapy jobs at that point.

So I really need to make this work!!!

• Mentor

Hi Jackie,

i’d just like to say ‘well done’ - you’re coping with so much change at once it would be difficult for anyone to manage, let alone someone suffering from wd!

Rich

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

today I am grateful that I have a big tomato grown at work (by the therapy patients) to eat. it tastes so much better than any from a store. 

I am grateful for how beautiful this neighborhood is: huge healthy trees, some amazing gardens to see, no two houses are the same or even close. 

work is going OK. I'm not so great at home but hopefully that's temporary. work is OK and that's more important right now. 

• Mentor

glad that work is going well!! yay!!

and happy you got a nice fresh tomato, yay!!!

and it won't be long before your new place feels more like home

you're doing wonderful, staying grateful in the face of all this stress and all the changes you've gone thru.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

it was a hard week and I didn't feel good yesterday at all but kept fighting it and making it worse, I guess. I always find a way to blame myself for feeling bad: I wasn't trying hard enough or I was trying too hard. 

today my goal is simple: stop expecting to feel better than I do. accept what I actually feel. we'll see how that goes. 

today I am grateful for this beautiful weather

I am grateful for library books

I a grateful there is a Unitarian Universalist church in a town 30 minutes away that I can go to

my plan for church is to avoid all caffeine, expect to be nervous, don't expect to enjoy it because I don't like being new places and trying to meet new people, and plan on coming home after and doing nothing but reading. it's a plan. 

• Mentor

sounds like a good plan!!

I'm glad you're going to let up on yourself, I think people are much harder on themselves than they um, "should" be or need to be.

I think it could even be counterproductive.

I do the same thing, and you know, not only does it make me feel worse instead of better, it doesn't seem to change things in a positive way, either!!

so, let's all be kinder to ourselves, what do you say?  ;):D

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
21 hours ago, Happy2Heal said:

let's all be kinder to ourselves, what do you say?

god, yes, but it's like that book a smart person recommended to me says - Hardwiring Happiness - we have that negative bias. 

I frequently think "I feel so terrible" and then I remember I am sleeping! I am SO much better because I almost always sleep so much better than I used to. 

it's not back to amount of time I used to sleep: regular was maybe 8.5 hours and now I'm at about 7 or 7.5 most night (bad nights it's less) but who knows if that will change. I do know it's the quality of sleep that matters more than the length of time. 

today I am sluggish but grateful I am able to drink decaf green tea and get going anyway. I do not "need" caffeine.

I am grateful for my job

I am grateful I found a church yesterday that I like very much so far (Unitarian Universalist) 

I am grateful for all the support I have been getting online and on the phone

I am grateful for library books

I am grateful for sleep. 

yesterday was awful for some reason. I had trouble sleeping the night before and so I had real green tea (not decaf) and got a headache later and ate a lot of sugar/crap instead of food and felt depressed. well, glad that day is over. 

I am grateful I don't have to look for a job.

I am grateful I have a place to live.

I am SO grateful for library books. Just finished Eat, Pray, Love and Liz is a woman who had terrible depression but got better. in large part because of taking care of herself: eating healthy, doing yoga, and meditating. I really really need to meditate and I'm going to start...this weekend. I'm going to this weekend for sure. 

maybe even tonight after work for even 5 minutes? well, maybe. but this weekend for sure. 

Hey Jackie,

Sounds like you're doing allright, considering your circumstances. Hope you get settled nicely to the new environment.

I did try some meditation just a minute ago. Maybe 5-10 minutes. It was the first time in I don't remember how long. 

Good day to you,

Matti

2014 June. Citalopram 30mg, Seroquel 25mg. 2016 sept. quit seroquel 25mg fast taper, citalopram 20mg

2017 July citalopram drop to 10mg

2018 March - 2019 July 15th gradual taper to 1.52mg 

2019 July 22nd - 24th 5mg. July 25th 4mg.

2019 November updose Citalopram to 5mg.

2020 May updose Citalopram to 10mg.

Magnesium 200mg nightly.

Fish oil: teaspoon every night.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JackieDecides, 

Thanks for popping over to my neck of the woods.🌲🌲🌲 I’m very happy to hear that you’ve got a job and a place to live. Yay! Having the basics certainly helps us cope with stress. I’m always grateful that we have electricity and running water too. It’s something we can really take for granted, as not everyone has these things.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:25 AM, Matti said:

I did try some meditation just a minute ago.

I did 5 minutes yesterday morning and forgot this morning, will try again.  

I think I might want to find a mantra as it may be easier for me than just only thinking about my breathing and being mindful. 

I need a short, memorable mantra...time to check youtube?

12 hours ago, Carmie said:

I’m always grateful that we have electricity and running water too. It’s something we can really take for granted, as not everyone has these things.

amen!

today I am grateful for the cooler summer we've been having

I'm grateful for the friendly, lovely church I found in the next town

I'm grateful I found a drum circle to join (yesterday was the first time I've done it - FUN!)

I'm grateful for all these great library books

I'm grateful for all the women who have been talking to and texting and emailing with me. I am not alone, if you count phone calls and cyberspace. ❤️

I am still looking for a mantra I like but while I'm looking plan to try "So Hum" - goes with inhale and exhale.

today I am grateful I slept despite having had a cup of real coffee yesterday morning!!

I have read Little Women many times in my life and I always think of the chapter where they are sending letters to each other when the sisters' Mom is with their Dad nursing him. Their housekeeper writes to reassure the parents that she keeps the girls on healthy foods and only lets them have coffee once a week. maybe I could do that - coffee once a week. that's doable. 

Monday didn't turn out to be a good day and neither were yesterday and today. I keep making really bad decisions, "toxic coping" as someone said.

I've decided that I am having Depression - not just feeling depressed but have fallen into A Depression, with a capital D, and that I didn't recognized it because since being off AD I've been so busy with Anxiety (as well as feeling anxious). 

Depression doesn't feel like it did on AD - all flat and muted and something I could just wait out - it's sharp and painful and I keep trying to fight it or run away which doesn't work at all.

I'm not explaining myself very good but it might be the stupor I've fallen into after eating way too much food. I've been craving sugar like crazy on top of over-eating everything else. 

it feels like a major realization, however, and I think I can do better dealing with it now that I know what's going on. I think. 

because I was dealing with both feeling anxious and Anxiety fairly well and when things went to **** this week I didn't know why. now I feel like I do. 

so that's my take. 

I don't feel grateful for anything just right this moment. well, library books. they can usually distract me like nothing else can. 

• Mentor

I look at it this way: we feel what we feel, and there doesn't have to be a reason. 

9 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

I don't feel grateful for anything just right this moment. well, library books. they can usually distract me like nothing else can

feelings are fleeting, temporary things, they come and they go

if you feel like crap, depressed or anxious or whatever, of course you're not going to feel grateful

you don't need to be or feel grateful.

I think of the gratefulness practice as a way to put things into perspective.

we all have feelings, sometimes very strong ones, about our lives and situations and events in our lives, about the people we have to deal with and the people we want in  our lives that aren't there.

it's easy to get into a victim mindset or a self pity mindset and feel like things are awful and will never get better, even though we know that's not true

if we look for the things that are good in our lives, and know that those things are gifts, then we can put things in perspective and that eases the feelings of deprivation or of anger or envy or whatever we may be feeling.

does that make any sense?

you can force yourself to acknowledge that there are things to be grateful for in your life, but if you don't really *feel* grateful for them, this practice doesn't do much to help your mood or change your outlook.

that's my opinion, anyway.

I think of it as a tool, a self help tool, one that I find very soothing, at times. it's not an obligation or a miracle cure for crappy feelings. 

I don't know if I"m making any sense.

I do know that when I feel real gratitude for what I have, it changes something inside me.

and I like that change. 

I pray that you can find ways to soothe those sharp painful feelings, and know that you are not alone in this. I pray that you feel better real soon and have really good things to truly be grateful for.

❤️

On 8/29/2019 at 5:11 AM, Happy2Heal said:

if we look for the things that are good in our lives, and know that those things are gifts, then we can put things in perspective and that eases the feelings of deprivation or of anger or envy or whatever we may be feeling.

yes, you make perfect sense, I don't see why you doubt that. and beautifully put! 😍

and isn't it awesome to be able to write it here? where we can edit? unless real life. 🙄

On 8/29/2019 at 5:11 AM, Happy2Heal said:

I pray that you feel better real soon and have really good things to truly be grateful for.

I do feel better frequently and now is one of those times. I had an awesome day and am actually not only not dreading the weekend: I'm looking forward to it!  this is a first. I think it's a giant relief to know I can probably move out of the basement soon, I'm stoked, and I have a few things to look forward to. and right this moment? I feel more like Pooh than I do like Piglet. 😊

sometimes I feel grateful and I write a list. sometimes I don't "feel" grateful but I do a list as an exercise. it's an intention. I recognize I have things to be grateful for and I list them. 

today I am grateful for my job

for my coworkers, some of them, for my patients of course. 

for Pooh's excellent example

for my new town with it's big hills and it's funky neighborhood and friendly downtown and charming shops and the whole area, including another state right across the river

for my basement cave where it's never too hot 

for my new apartment I can probably move to soon

for library books

for emails and texts and phone calls and forums and facebook and people in real life! ❤️

• Mentor

oh so so very happy that you had a good day and aren't dreading the weekend and have all those awesome things that are good in  your life

you so deserve all this. ❤️❤️❤️

oh, Jackie, i was about to post you a reply about your feeling of getting back into A DEPRESSION, and wanted to tell you to not label your experience, and just flow through it and give it time.

now i see that you are feeling better, and that is awesome.

sometimes i think that when we have been in AD for a while and get off them, the hardest part is to feel again, withdrawal aside.

it is like learning to walk again, all by ourselves without the jeep, through different and varied landscape.

i am 100 per cent sure that once you settle in your job and living situation, all will be swell. there will be less bump.

47 minutes ago, xyz said:

i am 100 per cent sure that once you settle in your job and living situation, all will be swell.

I feel that is true. but feelings are temporary! 😉  I'm learning to accept the ups and downs and I expect they will grow less and less dramatic over time. 

thank you both for your support! 🤗

I'm at work even though it's a holiday. Sluggish, today.

Struggling with deciding when something like drinking a cup of coffee is good (getting back to normal) or bad (toxic coping). 

Might depend on the day: okay one day, not another day. Or, I might be kidding myself.

I do seem to have a "caffeine seeking" brain. 🤔

• Moderator Emeritus

Happy to see you are doing well and settling into your new job :)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

I've been drinking coffee again and I might as well harness the power for good...

Things about my apartment I am grateful for:

all this room. I have a large kitchen, large living room, and two small bedrooms. not much furniture so it's very roomy.

AC - it's not central air but it's 100% better than no AC

pretty much quiet. about all I hear is my upstairs neighbor walking - very creaky floor - and the sound of his rocking chair and his recliner (wonder if he has carpet?) - I know he has a TV but I have never heard it. 

fun neighborhood to walk in

lots of shelves

I'm sure I will think of more. 😁

I want this weekend to work better than last weekend did but I have not yet made any plans like I think I should. the unstructured time is not my friend, necessarily.

there is a real chance this job I relocated for is not going to "work" long term (I mean support me) - because I'm not getting enough hours. waiting until October's big changes to see what happens then, but meanwhile I'm trying not to dwell on it because I've decided there isn't anything to decide/do about it for now. 

meanwhile, it's still hot but the days are much shorter: I must get out my Happy Light. I think I said that last week and then didn't do it. I sort of fell apart last weekend - didn't do most of what I wanted/planned to do. 🤨

already this weekend is better than the last one was! and I have my Happy Light out and ready to use.

today I am grateful for:

all the tools for self help on the internet - free and available to all

local produce

green tea (not local!) 

my mobility - I can walk for miles, even if part of it is uphill! 

time

I want to practice appreciating all the free time a weekend gives me instead of fearing it. today there are many useful things I will do (clean) and a couple fun ones I can do. 

this past weekend could have been better and could have been worse...Saturday was OK and Sunday went downhill after the early morning.

these past weeks I have noticed first a strong craving for sweets, then depression and irritability all coming on gradually. and yesterday I recognized what it is: 

I am having Seasonal Affective Disorder from moving to Oregon, even if it's not the cloudiest part of Oregon it's still a lot less sun than I'm used to. I just got an encouraging email from my cousin saying "you've dealt with this before" but the major way I dealt with it was by moving to Nevada! 

but it does help having a reason behind feeling worse and worse and while it's scary that we barely at the end of summer so it's going to get worse? maybe a lot worse?! I hope knowing what it is means I can fight it.

This morning I am using my Happy Light for much longer and I'm going to make other plans as they occur to me. I guess I'll be googling, and searching on this site? for what else I can do. 

I'll find out in a week or two, but hopefully I can move out of the basement into an apartment on the first floor. I think that might help and at least couldn't hurt. well, change is hard and it's more change....

anyway, I worried that last winter I could have a major depression and I didn't but I was still in Nevada and still had my dog. that was my first winter off SSRIs. I did have anxiety but it didn't really crank up until I decided to relocate. it's really Life things - not having had health insurance, not having family or social support, the constant worry that I am deep in debt and will never get clear, THOSE are the things that mess me up. 

I'd like to think this winter I will be stronger, for all that I went through since then. 

@Altostrata  do you have any advice specific to SAD?  

for sure I am grateful I didn't move further east or to Seattle...but it's pretty scary it's not really even Fall yet, let alone winter. 😳

Edited by JackieDecides
ask for help

I'm remember when I had SAD back in Minnesota - I didn't really notice it until November. scary to be having it so early...

• Mentor

Hi @JackieDecides: as a person who lives in Seattle with a bit of SAD, make sure you get outdoors as much as possible, walk a bit, and use that Happy Light. Sounds like you are aware and taking care of the situation. It’s real but can be mitigated. Maybe string some twinkly lights around to keep that basement apartment cheery 🙂

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

6 hours ago, FarmGirlWorks said:

It’s real but can be mitigated.

thank you, I'm hoping knowing what it is will help me but there are a lot of dark months coming still!

there is a good chance I can move to an apartment up on the first floor in the next building (same complex) on October first. that might help some. 

every body says "walk outside" which I will do as much as I can (job, weather) but I'm wondering how much differece the time of day makes. 

now that the season is changing I don't have time to walk before work so it needs to be after work: late afternoon. if it was in the morning it would be in the dark! 

• Administrator
15 hours ago, FarmGirlWorks said:

Hi @JackieDecides: as a person who lives in Seattle with a bit of SAD, make sure you get outdoors as much as possible, walk a bit, and use that Happy Light. Sounds like you are aware and taking care of the situation. It’s real but can be mitigated. Maybe string some twinkly lights around to keep that basement apartment cheery 🙂

Thanks for these good suggestions, @FarmGirlWorks

Jackie, I don't know much about treating SAD. As far as I know, the light therapy can work well. Maybe there are other light therapy techniques? Is there a mini you can take to work? Is there maybe a peer support group in your area? Is your SAD exacerbated because you're still adjusting to a new place?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Is your SAD exacerbated because you're still adjusting to a new place

I would guess so, yes. relocating twice in - what was it? - 4 months - that is way too much change and the months I was in Colorado were very, very hard. 

things are better here, but I'm tired and depressed.  but I think the light is already helping, I really do. 

• Mentor
9 hours ago, JackieDecides said:

I would guess so, yes. relocating twice in - what was it? - 4 months - that is way too much change and the months I was in Colorado were very, very hard. 

things are better here, but I'm tired and depressed.  but I think the light is already helping, I really do. 

yeh you have really been thru  a lot and it's been going on for some time, it's no wonder you're not feeling super duper wonderful :P

my feeling is that sometimes "depression" is our body telling us we need to rest, and it's a good idea, IMHO to listen to our bodies

unless our body says eat an entire chocolate cake, then maybe we might want to argue with it about that LOL 

Hi jackie,

I have a light at home too that I start to turn on at the end of sept every year and it has really helped.

That and exercise. like a heavy sweat everyday , with a warm bold tea with milk when I feel tired. I put some pop music on sometime too.

Yeah, you went through a lot of changes recently.  Just chill out now. Try to set a healthy daily routine and stick to it no matter how you feel. It will get better. You know that :)