SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Winterflower: Lexapro visual disturbances, eye floaters, tremor, insomnia

Winterflower

Hi everyone!

24 yr old here (my birthday is in 7 days though!) had a really horrible reaction with Escitalopram after only 2 1/2 weeks on 10mg around mid-September and i've been struggling with the symptoms since. My body and nervous system is hypersensitive to medication, like even a typical mosquito bite will cause my arm to balloon up. Unsure if it was neurotoxicity or what exactly went wrong but i basically had to cold turkey immediately, the ssri was prescribed for panic attacks and it's giving me a whole ton of anxiety-inducing symptoms that persist like: onset of multiple drifting floaters in my visual field that i've *never* experienced in my life before which are super distracting when having conversations, or looking at bright white surfaces like a phone or computer screen, these seem to have calmed down slightly after 6 weeks off but remain, and i'm worried they're permanent. About 2-3 times per week if i'm overly stressed or fatigued i'll wake up with a blotchy red spot in my field of view that disappears after a few seconds which is absolutely terrifying, this has improved from seeing it daily on the 1st week of withdrawal - i've searched the net and it seems like i'm the only person that has this symptom :( when driving or looking into far distances there appears to be a mirage haze or heat-wave vision.. the closest thing I can describe it to would be gas shimmering in the air, (in the middle of spring?) and when i'm having a realllyyyy bad day the the walls look like they're shaking until I look away. This is totally a nightmare and taking Lexapro was the worst decision of my young life, before the antidepressant I had never hallucinated, never taken psychedelics, and now I don't even want my friends to see me like this. I can't remain asleep for more than 3 hours without waking up and i'm scared daily but trying to remain hopeful!! I also get hypnic jerks and trembling/shaking while drifting off to sleep but it's rare enough to be manageable, i've found approx~ 100mg of magnesium and two capsules of fish oil in the morning and night really helps. Thanks so much for reading :3 just need some reassurance that all of this will pass!

No prior history

2018 -

July - 3 x 5 mg tablets of Diazepam halved into 2.5mg at a time as needed

August - 5 x 5 mg tablets of Diazepam halved into 2.5mg at a time as needed

September - 17 x 10mg doses of Escitalopram before ct

October - 10 x Roxithromycin antibiotic for a 3 week flu

November - fish oil, magnesium, flax-seed oil, Coq10 supplements

• ChessieCat changed the title to Winterflower: Lexapro visual disturbances, eye floaters, tremor, insomnia
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Winterflower and welcome aboard,

Thank you for taking the time to do your signature.  That's very helpful.

17 days of Escitalopram.

How would you rate the panic attacks that you sought help for........as compared to now........or did the escitalopram offer any relief to the symptoms it was prescribed for?  Here I'll simplify that.  Any relief from the panic attacks with the escitalopram?  How is your present anxiety/panic compared to where it was when you sought treatment?

It does sound, indeed, like you are pretty sensitive to medication.  When did you come completely off the escitalopram?  I estimating about 6 weeks now?

I just did a outside search on visual and eye disturbances and this thread came up......so here's the link to it:  From awalkerphoenix

It's from another member's introduction.....yet, you may find it helpful.

And then here is the main topic on Vision symtpoms: floaters, snow.....

It looks like the Roxithromycin antibiotic is one derived from Erythromycin(more commonly used in the U.S.).  I used a little google action and then Drugs.com

You can search both single drugs and/or plug in drugs to check interactions there.

How has your recovery from the flu, or flu symptoms gone so far?

We usually recommend a 10% reduction of your medication.  In your case, it's possible you had an adverse reaction, or sensitivity to escitalopram, and needed to go more quickly off.  I'll include some links here, however, for your further education.

The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.

This is usually done with just a small amount of your previous medication and seems to be the only medically known treatment for the symptoms of withdrawal.

Are you off the Diazepam completely now as well?

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. Where you had just over 2 weeks of taking escitalopram and no prior medication usage.......I think your symptoms may resolve fairly quickly.......at least I hope so.  Of course you do still need to find non-drug coping to help with the original panic attacks.  I would certainly implore you to let your doctor(s) know of your experience with escitalopram before using any other medications.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.   Read through these links, at least the first couple of posts in them, to see if what you have started makes sense so far. 

And welcome again.  Let us know how we might help with your W/D.

This is your introduction page, you have now introduced yourself to the community,  feel free to ask questions regarding your situation here, and provide updates.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
? Diazepam, spacing, spelling

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Aww thankyou manymoredays, i really appreciate all the information and effort you put into that!

Umm so i’m now 7 weeks off Lexapro and honestly i didn’t even find relief from panic attacks while on it, actually made me MORE anxious which i heard is sometimes typical on starting a new med which is why i kept continuing with treatment. however!! even with how scary the visual disturbances are i haven’t had a single panic attack for weeks, i think psychologically i’m thinking more anxiety = medication and there’s an element of fear stopping me from having a full blown attack now. idk if that makes sense?

Floaters are a lot better this week from what i can tell, maybe even 50% healed! they’re all in the same places but more transparent. I’m completely off diazepam and hoping the doses i took weren’t enough to establish a dependence - i’ve seen some threads on floaters from benzodiazepine withdrawal so i’m actually unsure if they’re from lexapro or valium.

Flu is all cleared up with no lasting cough or anything luckily, but it was an awful time with bronchitis 

I was getting a strange ‘headrush’ feeling while drifting off to sleep 2 nights ago like dropping on a roller coaster which is a new symptom, it kept happening and not allowing me to rest but my GP told me these can be caused by sleep deprivation, which makes sense i’m under a lot of stressful, tumultuous nights. Still a little worried about the visual hallucinations tho, do you think it would warrant an MRI scan? I do see hallucinations on that withdrawal symptom list but it seems more severe than what’s appropriate for how much i took, and every doctor looks at me utterly baffled when i bring up the red spot. (And i don’t even talk about the shaking walls lol) 

today i’m having some headaches, some nausea but i’m doing okay. thanks again i’m so so grateful to get support and help 💕🌤🌷

No prior history

2018 -

So I have a pressing question, has anyone ever gone blind from withdrawal/discontinuation of ssri's that we know of? I'm not going to suddenly get surprise symptoms months or years later right? Been reading up on too many horror stories online 😰

No prior history

2018 -

• Moderator Emeritus

Not that I'm aware of.  I just had my eye exam......optometrist.  With me, he told me they were age related changes.  I was interested in maybe doing a retraining something for my now farsightedness......and he negated that idea.  I mean of course I could go for another opinion.....see an opthamologist.  So......I'm thinking on that.  Meanwhile I'll continue with glasses for correction.  And I don't have the floaters, never got that symptom.

Different though.....as I'm a young 60 something to your own 20 something- ness.  B) 

I think if I were you......I'd find out a bit more, about what you would need to do or pay for an MRI.  I don't know if that would be the right test to pin down just where these symptoms originate from(never mind the cause).

You've stated seeing improvement and that's great.......very promising that you'll recover from this.

So.....if I were you......I might hold off for now.  Unless it's an easy test to get, the MRI scan, without a whole lot of expense involved.  You could always consider it later.  I was going to get both a CT and MRI done several years ago........and then never did.  I was going to have my GP interpet them, for me too.........as I was so afraid that there would be evidence of brain damage and injury.  I would have had to pay a fair amount and was still so darn wobbly.......so never did it.  I feel much better now.

I mean I may pursue more on my own vision difficulties now, like I said.

Do you have any escitalopram left?  Take a look at the reinstating link I left for you above.  At just less than 2 months out from your CT basically.......you might benefit from a small reinstatement of the escitalopram.  .5 or 1 mg.  You can also use citalopram,  Altostrata, our founder here.......refers to that as Lexapro's gentler baby cousin.

It might help with some of the symptoms of anxiety.  See what you think.  It's a tough one.......as you have such a limited usage overall of A/D's and benzo........and you are young as well.  Our bodies, minds can be amazing sometimes.   You may heal/recover quickly.

You will need to learn some non-drug coping skills now as well.  For any symptoms that you had prior to trying the escitalopram.  Have you seen our symptoms and self care section on site.  Take a look at some of the topped pinned topics for starters.  And many do CBT type therapy, or other modalities, to help with symptoms commonly referred to as depression and anxiety.

Keep us updated.  Thanks.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Oh wow you are so fortunate you never got floaters! they seem so trivial but it’s probably the worst symptom, read through a few threads where people said they never recovered fully which is worrying. 

And yeah i’d get a CT scan if they didn’t blast you with radiation! I’ll ask my physician about prescribing me some citalopram as an emergency if I get worse (is that Celexa)? He’s been on my side this whole time which is good, prolly feels guilty for somewhat ruining my life 😞

I’ve now pinned down that the majority of visual disturbances happen in the waking-up process, so for 20 minutes every morning it’s BAD but afterwards pretty mild, does this mean anything? I can’t believe anything causing me to trip for almost 8 weeks could be legal.. also being thrown out of sleep in the middle of the night in cold panic with palpitations repeatedly, fun times!!! 

lol sorry sarcasm is my coping tool, having a rough time but atleast it’s my birthday tomorrow 🎂 

No prior history

2018 -

• Moderator Emeritus

It's okay.  I too, have been known to be a bit of a cynic.  Something I work on, as I really am happier when not.

......and I don't think it's trivial at all.  If you do a search on all the medications......so vastly overprescribed, in my opinion.  Many do cause optical problems. 

I think I might visit the opthamologist and get a second opinion.  As, now I've got astigmatism, as well as farsightedness, nearsightedness.......beyond, what I'm sure, might have been just natural age related changes.  It gets expensive too.  The correction and exams. 

Yes, Celexa is one brand name for citalopram, which is the active ingrediant.

Happy birthday!  I'm going to the "prom" tonight.  B)  Oh darn, there's that cynicism of mine again.  It makes me laugh though.  And I like to laugh.

mmt

Okay i’m having a panic attack right now, just crying heaps and feeling like this is going to be permanent, the reality of my situation hit me hard tonight, i’ve been acting tougher than i am and feel so lost honestly. i discussed reinstating with my physician but he thought i was too far out for it (8 weeks) and didn’t want to worsen me which is understandable.. but it’s 24/7 visual disturbances lately and i really can’t keep going like this. i guess this was triggered by my girlfriend leaving the day after my bday

hugs,

winterflower

No prior history

2018 -

• Moderator Emeritus

(((((Winterflower)))))))

Hugs and/or now you be a butterfly?

I'm sorry I missed your post.

And I'm so sorry about the relationship difficulties and changes. 

Strangely or not so strangely when the big stuff, life stuff hits,(and sometimes birthdays just get to me anyway......).......well then it does seem that I, too......can get hit with a variety of symptoms.  Stress to our nervous systems?  Probably.  Or even anxiety generating worsening with your main symptom of concern now,  the visual disturbances.

Wow......as far as your physician's thoughts around reinstating.  That's good.  Cautious.   I'm kind of torn too......as you noted that you were really, really sensitive to the Lexapro anyway.  You can look over the link again on reinstating and especially read through the first post.  There's more about time frames since off medication as related to dosages that you'd reinstate with.   And it might be better, if you did reinstate, to go with the citalopram and then a very low dose......like 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg.  You can work with the tablets and make your own liquid from them. 

.....I'm hoping it's a combination of some W/D and then just the adverse reaction to medication that you had.......and then an illness and antibiotics after that.  I mean it all plays a part I think in your ultimate healing now.

You might consider an eye exam and be sure to mention when your symptoms started.....the relation of them to the medication.  Would that be reassurance?  I don't know but it might help.

And then........Since you've had panic attacks before......you might benefit from finding someone, on the ground so to speak........to help you learn techniques to manage them.  I don't know if you have tried any therapists yet.  Breathing techniques can help sometimes.  Putting your face into really cold water can help shift it too. 

I'll just copy over a nice anxiety package that another moderator used today, that will give you some things to look at when you come back on.(thank you Ccat)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We strongly encourage members to learn use non drug coping techniques to help get through uncomfortable times.  They are also useful for life in general.

Check out Claire Weekes.  She was a doctor who suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

I suggest you check out these links and gather some tools:

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression

CBT Course:  An Introductory Self-Help Course in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

"AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe your doctor knows someone good, that could help you learn techniques to cope from, or he/she could refer you.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now.  You had noted improvement with the visual stuff.  You've had a big old life stressor too.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Do you ever feel like life or the world or the universe is just punishing you for no reason? maybe it’s my stretch of bad luck the past few days/weeks but that’s one of my main thoughts lately - thankyou for the long write-up and trying to calm me down, you should be a therapist mmt! you’re compassionate and all of that anxiety literature was really helpful. I fell asleep listening to some Claire Weekes audio.. definitely not how I thought i’d be spending my 25th haha

i’m freaking out daily but there’s nothing that can be done so just suffering silently like all of us here, and i went and saw an opthalmologist about 4 weeks ago and my eyes were 20/20, i asked the question about blindness because symptoms change and alter over time, and the red spot i was seeing has vanished but been replaced with worsening of the mirage wavey vision  

sorry for the late reply it’s been difficult to do anything but stay in bed watching YouTube videos and read 😂 also googling withdrawal symptoms lead me to a Harvard article stating ssri discontinuation only lasts 1-7 weeks. How is *every* professional worldwide so misinformed? I mean there has to be an ethical reckoning for the psychiatric industry in the future right? so much iatrogenic harm. i’m on week 8 and a lot of you guys are tracking years..

are you fully recovered? 

love, and courage 

winterflower 

edit: oh and i can tell my physician is overwhelmed too bc he’s shunting me off to a naturopath lol 

also, 10mg of escitalopram = 30/40mg of citalopram!! such a high dose for my first ssri no wonder this happened 

No prior history

2018 -

• Moderator Emeritus

I've come to the conclusion that usually there is a reason that most stuff happens.  

Not that I understand it all completely though.  I'm much better at acceptance of all things now.

Thank you.....that package was put together by ChessieCat, another moderator.  So all credit to her for that. 

Yes....I say healed enough and well enough though.  I'm always "in recovery" rather than THERE.  THERE is here and now, after all.

But I'm good......I have to pay attention now too........I have a few sensitivities and can't over do anything like I used to do.......which is fine with me too.

Well......maybe changes are a good sign......with the visual.......that it's recovering.  Do try to do what you can, when you can, with kind and gentle comforting people.  No one heals well on an island I don't imagine.  Well maybe a few do..........  Do your grieving over lost hopes too.  Don't let it affect all your relationships going forward.

Oh my.  Let your naturopath know how very sensitive your CNS is too though. 

Love, peace, health, happiness, healing, and growth,

mmt

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mmt, I can't believe it's only been 10 days since my last post it feels like much much longer but just a quick and broad update: the mirage vision has almost returned to normalcy! now it's just a soft blur instead of an intense and disrupting experience, and waking up my whole vision used to shake but it only trembles now. Floaters are about 70% transparent, praying that they just fade into nothing and dissolve like the last memory of bitter snow on spring's clement awakening.

Yeah, bad angsty poetry is included with my summary today, that one's free 🙄 anyway sorry this one's not long but I promise to return over and over until i'm totally healed just in case this helps anybody else! hope you're well too!!

newly optimistic,
Winterflower

No prior history

2018 -

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

hi Winterflower

how are you doing? just popping by to say hi 

I hope you are doing well!  :)

I have had eye symptoms with my WD/ recovery as well,  they are almost non existent now except for the ones that came with aging, hahaha (I"m over 60, all sorts of eye issues are common as we age, oh joy)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

hi happy! i’m doing okay thankyou for checking in, the first 3 months was genuinely the scariest experience of my life though. floaters are 80% better and i have mild static in my vision when tired, but the constant headache and nightmares are gone, i can sleep for 6-7 hours instead of 3, red spot never happened again, shaking rarely occurs when stressed. things are better!!

No prior history

2018 -

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Winterflower, 

I’m so happy to read that your floaters are getting better. How wonderful you no longer have headaches or nightmares.

Wishing you the best in your continued healing journey from these dreaded meds💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

thankyou so much Carmie! 💙 I really wouldn’t have been able to manage without the information of this website and knowing what was happening to me, i’ll never forget the amazing support! 

❄️🌸 Winterflower 

No prior history

2018 -

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, Winterflower said:

thankyou so much Carmie! 💙 I really wouldn’t have been able to manage without the information of this website and knowing what was happening to me, i’ll never forget the amazing support! 

❄️🌸 Winterflower 

Hi Winterflower, 

Yes, this site is amazing. I wish I knew about meds and withdrawals many years ago. The doctors put me through such torture. 

We all eventually heal, it’s just a matter of time. It’s such a slow process but we get there in the end. I’ve been reading heaps of stories on here lately about people who are recovering and have recovered. We will get there! You sound like you’re doing really well, so glad to hear it. Keep us updated. 

This journey is like a rollercoaster ride🎢🎢🎢🎢. It’s up, down, up down. The ride will end one day though. Yay!💚

P.S. I love your username, it’s so pretty😍

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Mentor
On 1/10/2019 at 4:44 AM, Winterflower said:

hi happy! i’m doing okay thankyou for checking in, the first 3 months was genuinely the scariest experience of my life though. floaters are 80% better and i have mild static in my vision when tired, but the constant headache and nightmares are gone, i can sleep for 6-7 hours instead of 3, red spot never happened again, shaking rarely occurs when stressed. things are better!!

so happy for you.

:)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 3 weeks later...

@Winterflower: I have messaged u , i have the same issues as u have , floaters are sooo annoying:( you have anxiety now 

Sept 28 : nov 10 amitriptyline 10 mg

no history of drugs in past 

symptoms 

mild grainy vision , visual snow 

tinnitus 

dizziness

floters 

difficult in focusin 

muscle pain

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, wisconsin said:

Hi Winterflower, thank you for your concern. It is terrible isn't it. It's so important to take charge of your health and never give your power away. Have you ever read Confessions of an Rx Pusher?  In there the author explains that they do get sued and they keep a certain amount of money aside for these settlements. It is a real racket.

Gwen Olsen YouTube videos:

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

Manipulating Doctors (10 minutes)

We are trained to misinform (6 minutes)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 8:59 PM, Winterflower said:

Oh wow you are so fortunate you never got floaters! they seem so trivial but it’s probably the worst symptom, read through a few threads where people said they never recovered fully which is worrying. 

And yeah i’d get a CT scan if they didn’t blast you with radiation! I’ll ask my physician about prescribing me some citalopram as an emergency if I get worse (is that Celexa)? He’s been on my side this whole time which is good, prolly feels guilty for somewhat ruining my life 😞

I’ve now pinned down that the majority of visual disturbances happen in the waking-up process, so for 20 minutes every morning it’s BAD but afterwards pretty mild, does this mean anything? I can’t believe anything causing me to trip for almost 8 weeks could be legal.. also being thrown out of sleep in the middle of the night in cold panic with palpitations repeatedly, fun times!!! 

lol sorry sarcasm is my coping tool, having a rough time but atleast it’s my birthday tomorrow 🎂 

Sounds like me bro I’m 24 docs put me on citalopram I developed the eye floaters and grainy vision, body and brain tremors and don’t get me started on the daily panic attacks

Drug History -

Citalopram Feb- March 2019

Fluoxetine March - April 2019

• 3 months later...

Hi guys thanks for all the sweet messages! hope everyone is doing well, just a belated update: the vast majority of my symptoms have calmed down or disappeared now, but I have a concern with the stubborn static/grainy vision that’s my last symptom and still lingering 10 months off escitalopram.

i’ve seen this sometimes referred to as visual snow which is medically listed as being permanent and lifelong.. 😔 

It really bothers me at night when it becomes more prominent in the darkness or with my eyes closed trying to sleep. I only took Lexapro for 2 1/2 weeks and had clear, static-free vision my entire life before that, has anyone on this forum recovered from it?

any opinions, anecdotes, reassurances are so welcome right now

- Winterflower 🌧🌱

No prior history

2018 -

• 9 months later...

Hi @Winterflower,

How are you doing? I only took medication for five days and have static in my vision, also eight months out so in a similar situation to when you last posted. I hope you’re well!

Edit: Your name seemed familiar, just realised that I’ve read and responded to an update you posted on the visual disturbances thread; my brain fog is a little bad right now:).

I’m glad to hear that you’re getting better, such time spent in pain from such a short amount of time on the drug, It’s frustrating. How are your other symptoms, and how are you finding it moving past withdrawal and back to normal?

Icip.

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.