Bobbyss: Withdrawal need help

Bobbyss

Hello .. I have read some posts here I am reaching out because I am going into my 4th month of withdrawal from Zoloft .  I stopped cold turkey and I am now having this throat closing anxiety after all this time . I also have this itching and rash that don’t go away . My dr and another one I just went too can’t seem to give me an answer . I’m 50 years old male vid been physically strong my whole life . I am still pushing in the gym as much as I can to stay strong . This thing has finally Broke me and nobody seems to understand what I’m dealing with and I can’t seem to figure out  what’s wrong with my Brain either .  I came off lexapro 8 years ago it took 16 weeks  for the itching to stop iwas only on it for maybe 5 months . I ran This one for a few years . If I knew all this would go away I would go back on I don’t know what else to do .. I have this Brain buzz in my head it’s a weird feeling . Like ghis pressure if heightened anxiety .. if anyone can help me please chime in god bless all of you if you’re struggling. 

Zoloft around 3 years 100mg .. I can’t remember the start date but it was discontinued in July of 2018

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bobbyss: Withdrawal need help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Bobbyss.  I'm sorry you're having these symptoms. 

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Your symptoms are a result of your cold turkey of Zoloft.  At SA, we recommend tapering 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some people have to taper more slowly.

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing (which are typical) here is some information on withdrawal.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

The only known way to reduce withdrawal symptoms is a very small reinstatement of the drug, in your case Zoloft.  The other alternative is to wait it out and wait for your system to return to homeostasis .  Unfortunately, there is no way to predict how long this will take.  

Reinstatement isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone, but it’s the best tactic available.   We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Do NOT reinstate the previous dosage you were taking.  Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic 

After you have completed your drug signature, we can make a suggestion about the amount to reinstate.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the reply . What I’m trying to figure out is why did this anxiety that I’ve never had before come on after the 4th month .. I’m also trying to figure out what’s with all this non stop itching I’m having the doctors can’t seem to give me an answer . The dr gave me some Xanax for the panic attacks I haven’t taken it yet does anyone think it’s a good idea to use this as needed for these attacks ?

Zoloft around 3 years 100mg .. I can’t remember the start date but it was discontinued in July of 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

Withdrawal symptoms are often delayed, and anxiety is certainly one of the most common withdrawal symptoms.  Many people have a "honeymoon" period after stopping drugs, then after a fews months are slammed with symptoms.

Doctors, including psychiatrists, know nothing about antidepressant withdrawal.  They believe what the drug companies tell them--than any withdrawal from antidepressants is mild and brief.  In many, many cases, as you are experiencing now, it is anything but.

I would strongly urge you not to start the Xanax.  You can become physiologically dependent (a nice way to say addicted) with just two weeks' of use.  Xanax in particular has an extremely short half life, meaning its effects don't last for long, and it is very easy to start taking it more and more to achieve relief from symptoms.  We strongly counsel against starting another drug to relieve the effects of withdrawal.  

Please consider what I posted earlier about reinstatement of a very small dosage of Zoloft and let us know your thoughts.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you gridley .. thankyou 

I also wanted to ask you if you know anything about This prolonged itching that happens  and the tinging I get all over my head along with this weird secretion in my mouth . The brain zaps and flu left around 6 weeks ago . Rashes like small pimples that burn that pop up all over .. I have a disposition for eczema which I’ve had that comes and goes but this is different. I think it was a lot worse waking me up during the night . It calmed down but now it’s back .. I had this itching on lexapro withdrawal 9 years ago but it stopped around 16 weeks .  This seems to be a lot longer along with the heightened anxiety that I feel . 

• Moderator Emeritus

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness, itching etc. - Symptoms and self ..

Also Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org skin problems"

There are any number of strange withdrawal symptoms.  This is understandable because the central nervous system, which underlies everything in our bodies, is in disequilibrium during withdrawal.  There really isn't any pattern to it or to how long the symptoms last.  They come and go.  I know it is very frustrating.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi bobbyss,

How are you doing? I hope you are coping well.

Did you reinstate? These symptoms you have are typical WD symptoms. It is evil that these start months after you quit the meds. I know it is hard. Keep your head straight and have patience...a lot of patience and don't focus to much on the symptoms. I know it's hard but that is the best you can do.

Cheers

Jozeff

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold / 08apr 1.38 mg / 15apr 1.36 mg /

32 minutes ago, jozeff said:

Hi bobbyss,

How are you doing? I hope you are coping well.

Did you reinstate? These symptoms you have are typical WD symptoms. It is evil that these start months after you quit the meds. I know it is hard. Keep your head straight and have patience...a lot of patience and don't focus to much on the symptoms. I know it's hard but that is the best you can do.

Cheers

Jozeff

Thank you I appreciate it . I didn’t reinstate only because I don’t know if it’s the answer . If I knew it was I would have to commit for life to this I don’t think it would even help coming off slow . I’m stuck in the middle . I have short windows and waves that come and go . The anxiety I have is bizarre I wish I would just leave . Thanks for the reply .

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Bobbyss said:

The anxiety I have is bizarre I wish I would just leave

Have you tried Magnesium?  I have found that it takes the edge off my anxiety.  There have been several times when I have stopped it and started it again and each time I noticed the difference.

Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil are the only supplements which SA recommends.  Start with a low dose of 1 at a time.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

SA also encourages members to use non drug coping techniques.  It doesn't get rid of withdrawal symptoms but can help us to handle the discomfort.

Acceptance

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

19 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Have you tried Magnesium?  I have found that it takes the edge off my anxiety.  There have been several times when I have stopped it and started it again and each time I noticed the difference.

Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil are the only supplements which SA recommends.  Start with a low dose of 1 at a time.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

SA also encourages members to use non drug coping techniques.  It doesn't get rid of withdrawal symptoms but can help us to handle the discomfort.

Acceptance

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

Thank you.. it’s an anxiety that comes on that I cant explain. I’ve never had anxiety so I’m learning this is part of the withdrawal. I Have a tingling and buzzing feeling that goes on in my head into my mouth as well . It’s like this weird vibration that comes on strong then goes Low then comes on again . Another thing I can’t explain. I don’t know how I got here and I don’t even know what to say at this point I just try to see the Light at the end of the tunnel when this all ends . It’s really hard . I keep moving as much as I can but when it comes on it’s really hard .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bobby, 

Im so sorry you are struggling so much. Stopping the meds abruptly definitely puts one into withdrawals. A lot of people have done this before finding out the proper way to taper. I’m afraid that only time will heal. 

The anxiety you mention may be something some people call chemical anxiety. It’s a really weird feeling, I get it too even though I’m not really an anxious person by nature. All the symptoms you’ve mentioned are withdrawal symptoms, the buzzing, the tingling etc. 

Pretty much our whole bodies are connected to our CNS and we can get the weirdest symptoms in withdrawals. I’ve had earaches and toothaches, I’ve had a burning mouth for months n the list goes on. Every time I get a new symptom it’s usually related to withdrawals.

We will all eventually heal, it just takes time, sometimes a long time, but we will get there in the end. 

I recommend getting yourself some distractions when going through waves. I’m going through massive waves at the moment n have to keep distracting myself. 

Check out the link that ChessieCat sent you too on Claire Weekes, it’s helped a lot of people.

Take care💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

P.s. By the way Bobby, you said that you’re pushing it in the gym. A lot of people going through withdrawals find that overexerting themselves can make the withdrawal symptoms worse. 

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

24 minutes ago, Carmie said:

Hi Bobby, 

Im so sorry you are struggling so much. Stopping the meds abruptly definitely puts one into withdrawals. A lot of people have done this before finding out the proper way to taper. I’m afraid that only time will heal. 

The anxiety you mention may be something some people call chemical anxiety. It’s a really weird feeling, I get it too even though I’m not really an anxious person by nature. All the symptoms you’ve mentioned are withdrawal symptoms, the buzzing, the tingling etc. 

Pretty much our whole bodies are connected to our CNS and we can get the weirdest symptoms in withdrawals. I’ve had earaches and toothaches, I’ve had a burning mouth for months n the list goes on. Every time I get a new symptom it’s usually related to withdrawals.

We will all eventually heal, it just takes time, sometimes a long time, but we will get there in the end. 

I recommend getting yourself some distractions when going through waves. I’m going through massive waves at the moment n have to keep distracting myself. 

Check out the link that ChessieCat sent you too on Claire Weekes, it’s helped a lot of people.

Take care💚

Thankyou for the reply . I’ve had mouth pain myself like lumps on the roof of my mouth and weird gum pain . I don’t feel alone and I wish you and everyone else on here Healing and serenity. When I have a Window I can come up for air but I feel that buzzing and vibration my mind tells me to go back on the meds ..but I know if I do it’s for life I can’t go through this again. If I knew it would fix all this I just might but I can’t make any decisions I’m stuck . The mornings are the worst . I had this With lexapro years ago I was on it for 5 months and it took me 16 weeks to feel better after that but all I had was the itching rashes flu and the brain zaps .. this is different This is 3 years of Zoloft and the rashes and itching is still going on for 5 months . The anxiety and panic came on in my 4th .im trying to stay positive.. feel better and heal 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hello, Bobby.

Are you taking any drugs that might be causing the itching? Did you itch while you were taking Zoloft?

You might want to try reinstating 1mg Zoloft to start, or 1mg Prozac if you had adverse reactions to Zoloft while you were taking it. Both drugs come in liquid form, you'd take 1mg with an oral syringe. You'd stabilize on this for some months, then taper off by tiny amounts later.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

I’m into my 8th month and I’m at the point where I’m imobile .. I can’t leave the house or function .. I was on 100 mg Zoloft for 3 years and ct .. the head pounding and laying in bed for Weeks is less but I cannot function I have read everything there is to read . I am woken up every hour with insomnia  body shakes and convulsions and Bad dreams .. I have hot flashes and itching that wakes me up as well ..I can’t explain any of it will going back on a small dose help all I have is 25 mg pills I don’t have access to all the equipment and scales for the taper method let alone even getting to a doctor.. I didn’t know as the months went on I would get worse the itching and rash burning and pins and needles are all over my sides .. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Bobbyss said:

will going back on a small dose help all I have is 25 mg pills I

Bobbyss,

I am sorry you're going through such a horrible time.

Reinstatement of a small dosage of the original drug can make withdrawal more tolerable.  It doesn't alway work.  I know you are incapacitated, but if you can manage to order a Gemini-20 AWS scale from Amazon, please do. That way you can have accurate consistent doses.   If you can't order a scale, you could cut your 25mg pills into quarters (which would be approx. 6mg each) and reinstate that amount.  Do not reinstate the full 25 mg.  Your brain has made adjustments during the eight months you've been off Zoloft, and 25 mg would likely be too much for your system to handle.  Please read this about reinstatement:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Please let us know how you are doing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

And then what stay on that till I may see some relief?

And I’m also curious what the adverse reactions are I’m not sure what can be worse than this ?

The itching and tingling goes on every 2 hours all night with hot sweat flashes and wakes me up and if it’s not that it’s The Electic rush that’ wakes me up ..I feel my self waking up to that labored breathing gasping for air 

• Moderator Emeritus
47 minutes ago, Bobbyss said:

And then what stay on that till I may see some relief?

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain. It's possible that you may feel some relief within  couple of days.  Or it may take longer.

If you feel worse after a day or two, stop the reinstatement.

If you feel relief, you would stay on that dosage for around three months then begin a slow !0% taper.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

This adrenaline keeps pumping I wonder if it shuts off