Lucylou44

Lucylou44: 7 months into recovery - drug free

Lucylou44

Ok...in 16 years of cyclic antidepressant use I have never posted a single thing.

I am 43 years old with a long history of numerous antidepressants, I am now 7 months free, struggling, lost and desperate for some encouraging news!

The first 3 months were fine (how lucky am I?!) By 4 months crippling anxiety I have never experienced before in my life. This has passed and is now replaced by good old fashioned ' I'm existing not living', everyday is a momentous effort with no joy, no colour, no light and the weight that it's never going to get any better than this!

I have been told that with my history, my recovery could take a minimum of 2 years.

Does anyone out there relate to my story or can offer me some hope?

SkyBlue

Hi Lucy,

Welcome to SA. 

Your symptoms sound very intense, and my heart goes out to you. The fact that the anxiety is more intense than you've ever experienced points to it definitely being withdrawal, which means that it will heal in time. This site is all about helping people heal, and encourage each other to find the patience to do so. While everyone is different,  a few of the main themes are: be gentle with your system; practicing calming techniques; and trying fish oil and magnesium (starting with small doses at first).

Many people have posted their stories here on this site. You may find some of them encouraging.

If you come across scary stories, please don't internalize them -- everyone's story is different, and what happened to them isn't necessarily what will be happening to/for you.

The encouraging news is that people do heal... The discouraging part is that we don't necessarily know how long it takes. 

Please tell us a little bit about your drug history by creating a signature using these instructions: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Again, welcome. 

WiggleIt
On 11/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Lucylou44 said:

Ok...in 16 years of cyclic antidepressant use I have never posted a single thing.

I am 43 years old with a long history of numerous antidepressants, I am now 7 months free, struggling, lost and desperate for some encouraging news!

The first 3 months were fine (how lucky am I?!) By 4 months crippling anxiety I have never experienced before in my life. This has passed and is now replaced by good old fashioned ' I'm existing not living', everyday is a momentous effort with no joy, no colour, no light and the weight that it's never going to get any better than this!

I have been told that with my history, my recovery could take a minimum of 2 years.

Does anyone out there relate to my story or can offer me some hope?

Dear LucyLou,

When I was in acute, one of the most helpful places I found hope was on the Recovery section of this very site.  I went there and printed recovery stories, highlighted the most hopeful parts, and kept the stack next to my bad and read it everyday.  On the home page of this site, just scroll down to Success Stories: Recovery from Withdrawal, and you will read words of healing!