yanky192: reinstatement advice needed

yanky192

Hello, I am 55 and was  on 20mg Citalopram for 12 years and began to think this is not working for me its holding me back , I knew this medication was hindering me but I continued to take it silly me

so 125 days ago I stopped taking it cold turkey after a few days my mind got clear and my sex drive came back I was happy to feel normal again last time I felt that good was before the meds then bang withdrawals so I called the NHS24 and they said go back on my meds as it was that so I was shocked that this could happen as I had no idea about taper at that time

so I went on 10mg for 1 month then 5mg for 5 day then stopped I know it was bad to do but I had no clue about tapering or withdrawal, all through the time taking the 10mg and 5mg I was in withdrawal , 

what I am left with is the central nervous system symptoms distant from life my head like there is acid running through it short term memory and insomnia is bad ,blurred vision hot dry feeling when I breathe brain needs cold oil etc tinnitus sinus twitches , I would like to add after stopping the meds I have not been anxious or depressed at all I have nothing to worry about as I know its another part of the brain that is a mess sorry for this being long winded I have little education my work has been with my hands ,

anyway sorry once again, I do not know to ride this storm out or reinstate to a small dose,  my thinking is I did a mad thing abruptly stopping and my brain was shocked do I need to reinstate for my brain to calm down then taper, 

I know you might not have the answer and I am not holding anyone to account but you all here is professionals compared to my doctor

this past few days I have had a window and a happy tickle in my belly along with my head feeling part of life but today its back to wave , I could ride it out but say next year I might say to myself I should have reinstated what if !! any questions no problem I have learned to open up with physical mental and sexual abuse in the past so any advice is welcomed

regards Colin.

Edited by ChessieCat
added space

I was on Diazepam 5mg for 13 years 2005 to 2018

i was on citalopram 20mg  for 8 years 2010 to 2018

i stopped cold turkey diazepam  09/07/18

i stopped cold turkey citalopram 09 /07/18

reinstated  citalopram 19/07/18 after finding out about withdrawal

Hello,

I am 55 and was  on 20mg Citalopram for 12 years and began to think this is not working for me its holding me back , I knew this medication was hindering me but I continued to take it

silly me so 125 days ago I stopped taking it cold turkey after a few days my mind got clear and my sex drive came back I was happy to feel normal again last time I felt that good was before the meds then bang withdrawals so I called the NHS24 and they said go back on my meds as it was that so I was shocked that this could happen as I had no idea about taper at that time

so I went on 10mg for 1 month then 5mg for 5 day then stopped I know it was bad to do but I had no clue about tapering or withdrawal, all through the time taking the 10mg and 5mg I was in withdrawal , 

what I am left with is the central nervous system symptoms distant from life my head like there is acid running through it short term memory and insomnia is bad ,blurred vision hot dry feeling when I breathe brain needs cold oil etc tinnitus sinus twitches ,

I would like to add after stopping the meds I have not been anxious or depressed at all I have nothing to worry about as I know its another part of the brain that is a mess sorry for this being long winded I have little education my work has been with my hands , anyway sorry once again,

I do not know to ride this storm out or reinstate to a small dose,  my thinking is I did a mad thing abruptly stopping and my brain was shocked do I need to reinstate for my brain to calm down then taper, 

I know you might not have the answer and I am not holding anyone to account but you all here is professionals compared to my doctor this past few days I have had a window and a happy tickle in my belly along with my head feeling part of life but today its back to wave , I could ride it out but say next year I might say to myself I should have reinstated what if !! any questions no problem I have learned to open up with physical mental and sexual abuse in the past so any advice is welcomed

regards Colin.

Edited by ChessieCat
space

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, yanky192.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please includes the dates of your cold turkey four months ago and when you went to 10mg, 5mg and to zero again.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  You will have to decide whether to ride out the storm or try reinstatement.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Reinstatement isn’t a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone, but it’s the best tactic available.   We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a very small amount.  Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Please let us know whether you want to reinstate and we will suggest a dosage.  Please do not reinstate without checking with us first for our suggestion.

The following link tells you how to make small doses.  At the end of the link is information about having your doctor in the UK prescribe a liquid.

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Then, once you have stabilized, which can take several months, you can begin a slow 10% every four weeks taper.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The only supplements that we recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to yanky192: advice needed
  • Moderator Emeritus

Two topics have been merged into one.  The second post was responded to by Gridley.

This post may contain additional information.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi , I am not having much luck with replies here anyway here goes ,74 days off citalopram and I could not understand how s.s.r.i work but I just seen a video that explains the process in layman's terms as I am not too clever, okay here goes the s.s.r.i stop the reuptake of serotonin so there is more between the pre and post something sorry , so I am going through withdrawal I am only interested in the c.n.s so if I have not ssri stopping the reuptake then have I still got too much serotonin and my reuptake needs to wake up , as my head is burning tinnitus hot dry sand acid in my head the rest of symptoms no problem any explanation would be greatly appreciated and if it is in layman's terms the better for me best regards Colin.

• ChessieCat changed the title to yanky192: reinstatement advice needed
  • Moderator Emeritus

These links explain what is happening in your central nervous system.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi yanky192, 

How are you doing? Please create a signature so everyone can see at a glance what meds you’re taking and how much etc.  Gridley gave you a link. Thank you.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Administrator

Hello, yanky.

How are you feeling now? How are you sleeping? Are you taking any drugs now?

Do you have any citalopram left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hi , Can I first say I am not good with websites and computers and I want to ask 1 question and then look at replies then not go back on sites as I get upset at what has happened to me ,

reinstated  citalopram 19/07/18 after finding out about withdrawal nhs told me to reinstate half dose for 1 month then half again for 5 days  finished 30/08/18 now I know what I should have done I am more clued up now , so I have had many many withdrawal symptoms most have went away what i call outside symptoms IE outside my c.n.s bladder joints sickness diarrhea teeth ,

what I am left with is the C.N.S dizzy cant think clearly distant from the world tingling head tinnitus sensitive to light 

one thing I would like to say is I am not depressed or anxious anxious about the withdrawals yes I believe I was put on the citalopram as i was in tolerant withdrawal although the doctor never picked up on that , sorry if this is too long winded I cant think clearly I will never take diazepam again what my question is I am thinking of reinstating 2 mg 0r 2.5 mg citalopram  as i worry my brain is having a hard time adjusting no way am i depressed not in a million years I know that that meds was holding me back as when I stopped cold turkey man I felt 18 again sex drive clear thinking huge outlook in life then bang withdrawal so I know this is a gamble its either a small dose to help the c.n.s or nothing some of this symptoms could be benzo withdrawal , yes my brain is sensitised I am 55 and just want to make a decision my short time memory is bad but long term is good   I hope this is in the right place my head ringing like mad and my scalp is crawling but nerve endings i think  , thank you for any replies take care regards Colin.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi yanky,

I've moved your new post to your Intro topic.  Each member has 1 intro topic which is the place for them to ask questions about their own situation and to journal their progress.  This keeps your history in one place.

Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

It is best to start with a small amount of the drug than to risk taking too much.  You could start with 1mg citalopram and if needed you could then make a tiny increase.  You might find that 1mg enough.

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the system and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  You will need to be patient and try to stay calm and not to panic.  When we panic we can make bad decisions.  Some members expect to get instant results and think that they should be feeling like their old selves but miss the fact that the withdrawal symptoms have improved a bit from how they felt before reinstatement.

The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  You would stay on a dose until you are stabilized and then taper by small amounts.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Please  Keep Notes on Paper so that you can see how reinstating is affecting your symptoms.  This helps you to be more objective.

Please let us know how things go for you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi , I am thinking of reinstating 1 or 2 MG Citalopram what do you all think , I cold turkey almost 5 months ago , so symptoms now are , a bit dizzy head prickly feeling distant from life can't concentrate feeling down I have nothing to be anxious or depressed about its just the withdrawal  my short time memory has gone I can't think or solve a problem without my head going dizzy , and my tinnitus seems to go up when the wave comes on , as weird as it may sound I am better now than I was on the meds they was holding me back , I would love to be like I was when I was off the meds between weeks 1 and 2 before the withdrawal kicked in , a symptom I have never had and I wanted even though its a bad one is brain zaps my thinking is people getting brain zaps is the neurons sparking and which me not getting them I though my neurons were toasted from my cold turkey any advice would be greatly appreciated  take care.

• Moderator Emeritus

It would be better to start with 1mg citalopram.  These drugs are strong and you have been off for 5 months.  The lower the dose you can reinstate the less you will have to taper off.

Only you can decide whether to reinstate or not.  We can only offer suggestions and information so you can make an informed decision.

Hi All, I have a chest cold its sore and my throat is sore , I need to go to the chemist for something but I am scared the medicine can put me in a wave iis there a cold mixture that's okay in withdrawal or what to avoid I did read something on here months ago but cant find it in the search I will be going to the pharmacy in a couple of hours under normal circumstances I would ask the Pharmacist but the one I go to has not a clue about withdrawal , you know the look  (he is off his rocker) thank you for any help regards Colin.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've added other ones below.   cold-medicine-and-withdrawal

You could try steam inhalation, adding a bit of eucalyptus or menthol to the water with a towel over your head.  Use caution, steam is hot and can easily burn.

I've really had trouble finding much.  I know people have mentioned things but probably in their intro topics.  A couple of these are related to what a person might take for withdrawal, but the member experience might be helpful.

If you usually take a specific cold medicine I suggest that you type it in the site search (top right of screen).  You might need to try a few different names of cold medicines to find other members' experiences.

You could also use Drug Interactions Checker

If you think you have a chest infection it is best to get tested for it, instead of just taking an antibiotic that isn't needed.  See:  cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

drugs-to-avoid-in-withdrawal

painkillers-in-withdrawal-aspirin-ibuprofen-paracetamol-acetaminophen-naproxen-codeine

sudafed-as-an-aid-to-tapering-snris

antihistamines-for-withdrawal-insomnia-diphenhydramine-doxylamine-hydroxyzine

vicks-nasal-stick

first-cold-since-withdrawal

nasal-spray

nasal-rinsing-for-allergies-via-neti-pot-or-squeeze-bottle

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , I have been in w/d for 5 months now and am considering reinstating at a very low dose ie 1 Mg Citalopram the reason for this was to see if my symptoms get a little better I know it is a gamble ,

I had my grandson 4 days ago and I love when I see him but he was screaming with excitement many times and I noticed my head did not like this my tinnitus got loud and my head got sore since then nothing changed head still the same , before then I was like most here windows and waves , I have read on here that the c.n.s is sensitive but after 5 months I understand ,

sorry for going on a bit, 

Question is when we go into withdrawal and our heads are sensitive are we sensitive because we have too much serotonin  

if the answer is yes then that will help me decide to reinstate or not 

I have very little people around me and I am not well educated so making a decision like this is very difficult 

reinstating s.s.r.i for increased serotonin then that's what the medication is designed ,

I am struggling to say what i am thinking sorry, 

I will only reinstate a med that inhibits serotonin if I have too much serotonin  because of the cold turkey  

please do not worry about any good or bad things happen to me regarding this advice it is all on me no others

best regards Colin.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's some information which might help you to understand what is happening:

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

Withdrawal Normal Description

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.  These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

During any taper, there will be times of discomfort.  We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Is it me or is it difficult to get a answer to my question , all I want is the sensitive bit as that's what I have read maybe I am just non educated , I understand about how my brain got used to the drug and now its gone and the brain is trying to readjust like a building block a row of balls i get it,  but as there is nothing stopping the reuptake of serotonin so does that mean I could have too much serotonin .

• Moderator Emeritus

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

i stopped cold turkey citalopram 09 /07/18  DOSE

reinstated  citalopram 19/07/18 after finding out about withdrawal  DATES and DOSES

We need extra information about the dates and doses for your citalopram please. 

Example:

Citalopram:  date, dose; date, dose; date, dose; date, dose.

Q:  Are you currently taking any drug?

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.  They will need the above information.

Hi , I am sure I have already done a signature, I have read a lot on here and seems there is a lot of arguing between moderators and talking down to people , I might get better luck with my question on google . 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you have done a drug signature, but we need more information about the dates and doses you took.

With regards to your question about serotonin, I suggest your read this:

I do not know how all I get is link after link after link with millions of subjects when all I am asking is 1 simple question , after someone or anyone who has been on s.s.r.i for a period of time and stop cold turkey and has showed many symptoms of withdrawal , ie down to the c.n.c sensitised , is the sensitivity to do with too much serotonin or what I am asking is simple when someone stops cold turkey an s.s.r.i and they go into withdrawal is part of that too much serotonin this question does not need a reply with many links to mountains of reading with every topic its a yes or no answer , when a inhibitor is taken out does that lead to a rush of serotonin which gives that person ie dizzy spells short term memory loss dp dr and so forth , I simply ask this question because I C/T Citalopram  20mg and Diazepam 4 mg and after a couple of weeks got many withdrawal symptoms none of which is anxiety or depression , I now know I was in tolerant withdrawal for years with Diazepam and that's why I was put on Citalopram , I thought back then I suffered anxiety but it was Diazepam no problem my mistake and many years lost but that's fine I am trying to work things out but with no one around me its not that easy and never will I go to my doctor again as many people say on here we were never explained the dangers , so its now 6 months off Diazepam and 5 months off Citalopram as I went back on 10 mg Citalopram for 1 month and as I was already in w/d for 1 or both the draugs I had no change so c/t the from the 10 mg Citalopram , now I got tinnitus which is nothing had it for years but its the thinking process that went and very distant from the world  bad insomnia heavy head , like I say until a few days ago it was a case of going through windows and waves , until the noise from my grandson screaming put my head into what I think is a shock as tinnitus went through the roof and the general feeling of the w/d was worse hope this was not long winded I do think this site is very complicated regards Colin.

• Administrator

yanky, please don't worry about fixing your serotonin.

You may be suffering from diazapam withdrawal or citalopram withdrawal, or both. Your idea to try 1mg citalopram is a good one.

The best way to take such a small dose is to use a liquid and oral syringe. Citalopram liquid is available by prescription or you can make your own liquid. This topic explains how Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you very much for your reply that's all i wanted, 

Best regards Collin.

Hi Altostrata,

Yes I have been in withdrawal for 6 months for citalopram and 5 months for diazepam with over 30 symptoms not good but I feel I have dealt with them as best as I could ,

I was willing to wait it out but this past few days have been quite rough but only my head meaning the c.n.s my head feels like it's on fire and ready to burst memory dp, dr, I had similar to this after 2 months into withdrawal so it could just be a mental wave I am not sure 

if this did not happen I would not have consider reinstatement , 

I am 100% better than being on the drugs they robbed me for years of my life 

I think I was in tolerant withdrawal for years with Diazepam and that's why they put me on the citalopram  , 

I do believe this topic of reinstatement is very hard and many ask themselves many what ifs , 

IE will I just stay in withdrawal and hope it gets better

but what if I stay in withdrawal and it cant get better because I c/t/ and my head is very sensitive

if I reinstate will it get better

if I reinstate will I do more harm 

I will look on here to see how I mix the citalopram with the water 

best regards Colin.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Yanky?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 3 months later...

Topic title:  I can't make the decision

Hi All < I was on here last year but I got lost with what the signature is and the way this site is laid out , so I hope this is the right place once more I have very little education so internet and computers are a task  

I have been off Diazepam 4 mg since July 18 and have been off Citalopram 20 mg Aug, I had no clue about these meds and cold turkey, and paid the price , over 30 symptoms I have dealt with this positive good diet no alcohol keeping away from stress and  exercising this past 4 months , 

this might be long winded but a symptom that is still here is memory and thinking decisions , I accepted that this might be a long road , and many times in first 7 months I thought about reinstating but I did not simply because of the fear a small dose might have made things worse , every month I saw improvement as I keep a diary but I was hit with something 5 days ago I don't know if its a wave or what but I am feeling very down and lost I know sugar is a no no and I have not taken any maybe I am answering my question I wanted to treat myself and ate a yorkie bar and a lion bar stupid I know , does a sugar spike cause a problem with the already sensitive brain as in a few days or does it put you into a wave even now writing this I feel I have made a mess of this long winded letter for a small question , I feel I have been put back 4 months even to the stage I am thinking of reinstatement small dose or should I wait it out ,

best regards Colin.

Edited by ChessieCat
added space and topic title

Yanky, why would you think sugar is a no-no for WD?

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Because on benzo buddy's they say no alcohol no caffeine no sugar no msg no produced food , as the central nervous system is already sensitive .

For many people sugar is a stimulant.  We recommend avoiding anything that can stimulate an already stimulated and sensitive body.  Sugar is a tricky one to control because it is highly addictive and it causes a wide variety of responses in the body if there is a lot of it and a different variety of responses if there is not enough.  For the longest time I had trouble with hypoglycemia while I was on paxil and tapering off of it.  We have a good number of members who report that they can't tolerate having any sugar at all, as it will cause a WD crash.

MSG and processed foods are a very individual thing with almost as many reports on either side of them causing problems or not.  So the only way to know is to experiment.

Caffeine is a very well know stimulant that causes a lot of problems with revving up a very sensitive nervous system.  The big problem with caffeine is that it is highly addictive and very hard to withdraw from, causing very sever WD symptoms that take a relatively long time to resolve.

Drinking alcohol is one of the best ways to derail an otherwise successful taper.  We always have a number of reports around the Holidays from members who were doing quite well and had a glass or two of wine who need several months to stabilize before they can restart their tapers.  It is best to avoid all alcohol for several years post "0".

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking