SadDad88

• Administrator

Now that I think of it, my joints swelled up when I took Buspar. These drugs do stuff like that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Possible to get slammed with sereve withdrawal a month out from discontinuation of Lexapro? I took it for only two weeks at a low dosage but had almost every severe adverse reaction to it. 

-Lexapro 10mg March of 2017 for about 7 days. Insane panic  upon first dose.

-Clonazepam 1mg daily to counter the insane panic from Lexapro. March of 2017

-Reduced Clonazepam from 1mg to .75mg over 5 months. December 2017-April 2018

-Buspar October 2017 to August 2018. Discontinued due to rare side effects. Extreme withdrawals

-Switch to Valium in June 2018 from Clonazepam.  15mg daily. 

-Current meds, 15mg Valium daily. Pretty sure I hit tolerance.

-Tried low dosage Lexapro again mid October 2018. .5mg daily for one week, then 1mg daily for the second. Made it almost two weeks before madness ensued. 

Hi.

Im not a mod but i have learnt alot. I hqve also read the advice you have been given. 

Yes - it is common to have a delayed withdrawal. Everyone is different. It took about 8 weeks for withdrawal to hit me. They say that this is every last drop of the drug leaving every place in your body.  (Mod Note - Please see:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take)

Lexapro is a very powerful drug. It is the most potent of the SSRIs and is also highly selective in the brain on receptors.

Alot of people here complain of Lexapro withdrawal. 

What you are experiencing appears to be very common. Your aymptoms are very normal. 

You have also been given advice around the benzo use. You may want to look at some advice on what you can do with that? Is the benzo causing you issues? Or is it a mix of both?. 

I can tell you 1st hand this process is the worst ever. It is very frightening and causes alot of panic. However you have 2 options... 1)Do your homework, try to get a plan for your drugs and learn to accept and ride the waves. Also read positive success stories and learn tips to cope. Or 2) fight it, panic, not accept it, continue to take benzos without a plan and give your brain and body more stress. 

Option 1 is the only known way forward. 

We all know its a nightmare and it hurts so bad. 

BUT it gets better. There proof it gets better. Im better than i was 6 month ago. But i accept im this for a while. 

I have too........ 

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Moderator Emeritus

Leo has given good advice and made some excellent points.

Withdrawal symptoms can definitely be delayed.  As Alto said, symptoms and healing from an adverse reaction are very similar to withdrawal symptoms.

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms

Here is some information on withdrawal:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These two links are helpful in understanding what's going on in your brain:

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

So my pdoc had me do a genetic test. Hopefully this reveals how I metabolize Lexapro. 

At any rate, I do think ssris are poison to me.

Currently added hydroxyzine to my med mix. I've had it before two years ago. Worked great for a bit. I need something to curb this extreme anxiety that is bordering on panic. Otherwise I wont be able to work and everything falls apart for my family and obviously myself.

I've never felt worse in my life then after taking this med twice! How can I be so stupid to try it again? Good Lord forgive me for my stupidity.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

-Buspar October 2017 to August 2018. Discontinued due to rare side effects. Extreme withdrawals

-Tried low dosage Lexapro again mid October 2018. .5mg daily for one week, then 1mg daily for the second. Made it almost two weeks before madness ensued. 

• Administrator

The genetic tests may suggest which drugs and drug combinations to avoid in the future, but they're useless to explain withdrawal syndrome or whatever symptoms you're having now.

How are you feeling?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

The genetic tests may suggest which drugs and drug combinations to avoid in the future, but they're useless to explain withdrawal syndrome or whatever symptoms you're having now.

How are you feeling?

I agree with you! I'm curious to see what the results will be.

I'm very angry honestly. I met with another psychiatrist who told me that ssris don't change brain chemistry and that there was no way what I'm experiencing what due to Lexapro. I wanted to beat her down so bad because she was lying right to my face. This is the second time that I've experienced horrible reaction and witjdrawal due to this med. I'm feeling incredibly hoodwinked and dumb for actually trying it again thinking the docs were right.

I have hair trigger anxiety in any situation. Base line is just anxiety. I don't see how people can go through this. It's been two years for me. A lot of the days better than others but during the Lexapro aftermath it's been the worst.

Thanks for lending an ear Alto.

The hydroxyzine helps take the edge off but I still feel it 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

• Administrator

It's very, very hard to find a good psychiatrist.

So today I had a really good window. So far it's lasted 8 hours and hasn't stopped yet. I have felt great. What a sensation to feel normal. 

I hope this is a good sign. I know it may go away via windows and waves but I'm hoping for the best. I have a family to support and need to be as stable as possible.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:47 PM, Altostrata said:

It's very, very hard to find a good psychiatrist.

I had a two almost three day window where I felt 95 percent myself or 100 percent a few times. Tonight I was hit by confusion, memory loss, shaking. It's subsiding but lasted 3 hours. 

I'm excited! I hope this keeps up. Is this a good sign of healing? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes it is a good sign.  Just be careful not to overdo things when you are feeling good.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Good to hear. What is your current drug schedule, with dosages?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Good to hear. What is your current drug schedule, with dosages?

15mg Valium daily split up in 3 doses every 8 hours. 50 ish mg of hydroxyzine. 25mg at 8pm and 12.5mg in the am with Valium and the other 12.5 at 2pm.

Hydroxyzine stoped having it's sedation effect. Not sure if it's even helping my anxiety anymore.

Had another good day with some minor hiccups.

If this keeps up, I'm going to eventually taper Valium very slowly in a couple of months. I'm very familiar with benzos unfortunately. Tapered from 20mg to 15mg over 5 months with tolerable withdrawal symptom ls.

Thanks Alto

• Administrator

You're welcome. When you want to start tapering, please start a topic in the benzo forum.

You might want to step down on the hydroxyzine and go off it over a week or so.

Iive recently experienced a sensation that feels like sudden drops. For instance, like if you were in an elevator and it dropped a half a foot and stopped. I also feel like jerking motions back and forth. All of this accompanying a vibrating feeling. Kinda like im in an earthquake. My hands quiver and it feels like my cns is in overdrive 

Normal anxiety or withdrawal symptom?  First time for me.

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, SadDad88 said:

So I tried doing a little research on what this antihistamine actually does receptor wise. I found some articles saying it acts on serotonin. Has anyone else come across this? It has sedating effects and helps anxiety. I'm currently taking it and I feel it does nothing. When I try to stop, my anxiety sky rockets. So I suppose it does do something for me, or has a withdrawal affect even though everything says it doesn't.

Thoughts on this med? I tried it last year when I had horrible insomnia from Lexapro the first time around. It worked wonders but stopped working after a couple of months. I found it hard to discontinue and had to taper it over some weeks to months. 

I've merged the new topic you created with the existing topic on this subject.  Before starting a new topic please check to see what already exists.  Use either the site search or google and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

antihistamines-for-withdrawal-insomnia-diphenhydramine-doxylamine-hydroxyzine

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

I've merged the new topic you created with the existing topic on this subject.  Before starting a new topic please check to see what already exists.  Use either the site search or google and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Thanks

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

I can't find my question anywhere though on the board. The part where perhaps it acts on serotonin.

• Moderator Emeritus
20 minutes ago, SadDad88 said:

So I tried doing a little research on what this antihistamine actually does receptor wise. I found some articles saying it acts on serotonin. Has anyone else come across this? It has sedating effects and helps anxiety. I'm currently taking it and I feel it does nothing. When I try to stop, my anxiety sky rockets. So I suppose it does do something for me, or has a withdrawal affect even though everything says it doesn't.

Thoughts on this med? I tried it last year when I had horrible insomnia from Lexapro the first time around. It worked wonders but stopped working after a couple of months. I found it hard to discontinue and had to taper it over some weeks to months. 

Looks to me that it causes trouble eventually like all drugs if that helps. 

Cheers

Leo

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• 5 weeks later...

Can taking magnesium supplements cause depression by chance?

I started taking glycinate, 150mg per day. It makes me fatigued sometimes and tited but absolutely kills my anxiety, which I love. But I've noticed I get depression. I never had an issue with depression before.

• Moderator Emeritus

Some members find that they have issues when taking magnesium

• 5 weeks later...

I'm currently about 3 months off a horrible reaction to Lexapro that I took briefly for almost two weeks. Sometimes I become incredibly sleepy and other days I don't sleep that well and I'm wired. Is this normal? 

Today was a but scary. I had a solid 6 hours of sleep, woke up and felt fine. Left for work for a two hour drive, 15 minutes into it I became incredibly drowsy the entire time. That was followed by a day of stomach cramps, headaches and malaise. 

So is it normal to become increasingly sleepy sometimes? Of so, what's the cause?

BTW, things are slowly getting better! I still have crappy days unfortunately but I'm hopeful

• Administrator
On 12/5/2018 at 6:40 PM, SadDad88 said:

15mg Valium daily split up in 3 doses every 8 hours. 50 ish mg of hydroxyzine. 25mg at 8pm and 12.5mg in the am with Valium and the other 12.5 at 2pm.

Hydroxyzine stoped having it's sedation effect. Not sure if it's even helping my anxiety anymore.

Had another good day with some minor hiccups.

If this keeps up, I'm going to eventually taper Valium very slowly in a couple of months. I'm very familiar with benzos unfortunately. Tapered from 20mg to 15mg over 5 months with tolerable withdrawal symptom ls.

Thanks Alto

Are you still taking Valium? What is your current drug schedule, with dosages?

Please re-read The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

27 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Are you still taking Valium? What is your current drug schedule, with dosages?

Please re-read The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I am, been on it for 2 years. Went from 20mg to 15mg over 5 months. I want to taper again since I stopped last April but I don't know when a good time to do so would be since I had a bad reaction to Lexapro. 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What is your current drug schedule, with dosages?

Sleepiness is a common side effect of benzos. In fact, a lot of people take them as sleep drugs.

You may see a correlation between your drug schedule and your symptoms. Please supply your drug schedule as requested.

Please go to drugs.com and read up on the side effects of each of your drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, SadDad88 said:

Has anyone experienced extremely dry eyes. It's totally random and has a sudden onset. I don't have any allergies that I know of and it all started after three Lexapro incident. It goes away quickly as well.

I've moved your post to an existing topic: vision-symptoms-floaters-snow-blurreddimmed-vision-twitching-dry-eyes-and-pain

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Hello, SadDad, how are you doing?

• 2 years later...
On 11/18/2018 at 2:51 AM, WiggleIt said:

Dear SadDad,

Alto is right in saying that your doc did you a great disservice by adding a second medication instead of removing the first offending medication.  You are right to feel betrayed, and any doctor who states that psych meds "can't do this" is just plain wrong.  Alto is also right in identifying that some people have immediate adverse reactions to psych meds, others have delayed adverse reactions, others develop tolerance withdrawal, and yet other people seem to do fine until they try to withdraw off of the psych meds.  It is an absolute, total, and complete gamble for how people will react to these meds.

Sadly, the only cases doctors are familiar with are the people who seem to do well with psych meds, because those are the cases that medical and pharmaceutical literature emphasize.  There is a SMALL, growing movement of doctors who are beginning to accept that psych meds do damage, and there is a SMALL body of medical literature that's beginning to acknowledge what we in the online support groups already know: that psych meds may help some people, but those same psych meds can and do absolutely slaughter the health of a great many people.

As far as your symptoms go, please know that so many people on this site have been where you are.  I can tell you for a fact that I've been where you are, including muscle contractions, spasms, brain zaps, body zaps, and a constant feeling of having the flu.  My body has improved greatly with time.  This living nightmare DOES get better.  Recovery is not linear, like it would be with a broken bone.  Recovery also takes different amounts of time for different people.  But it IS true that things get better.

Log on here as often as you need.  Freak out on this site as often as you need.  Lay around and rest as often as you need.  Do "mindless" things, like watch TV, as often as you need.  Be very gentle with yourself.  That is key.

Four years ago, I was in a wheelchair due to the severe physical damage caused to me by psych meds and psych med withdrawal.  Then, I became able to use a walker.  Eventually, I graduated to a cane.  Four years ago, I was physically unable to feed myself and had to be spoon-fed by my parents.  I had to re-learn how to dress myself.  That's how extensively the meds and withdrawal damaged by body and cognitive abilities.  Doctors were cruel to me, calling me crazy, and telling my parents that they were enabling my delusions.  Finally, we found a GP and a psychiatrist who did not blow me off as crazy, but who took the time to investigate my case and who read the notes from the hospital that clearly stated that the psych meds had done this to my body.  The new GP and psychiatrist believed me, and familiarized themselves with medical literature where other cases like mine had been reported.

Over the past four years, I've hung on to life like a dog with a bone by my bare teeth, and I'm on this site today to tell newcomers like you to HOLD ON BECAUSE YOU WILL GET BETTER.

There is an additional website that helped me greatly, too:

https://beyondmeds.com/2015/03/20/reciprocity-thank-you/

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I am SUPER encouraged by the fact that you said you had a good day on a Friday.  It may seem like a small thing, but having a good day like that is a sign of healing and progress. 

Can you clarify in your signature whether you are still on any meds?  That info will help us all respond to you.  BTW, I'm not one of the admins here, and I don't have as much knowledge as they do.  I'm just a psych med survivor.

Very powerful and poignant account Wigglelt ❤️ x

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.