Fionas7: Medication withdrawals or PTSD?

Fionas7

Hello! I’m really glad I found this site and for all the information. I just wanted to make an introduction and go from here. I have been on many different kinds of psychiatric medication consistently since 2004. Previous to that I did take medication here and there but wasn’t consistent with it until 2004. 

I will list what I am currently on and what dates I started them. 

Adderall ER- started 30 mg twice daily September 2010. That was for treating narcolepsy which is the opposite of the insomnia I have suffered from since I was around 16 years old. I only take 30 mg. every morning for fatigue (to be honest I am mentally and emotionally dependent on it more than anything). 

Gabapentin 100 mg taken at bedtime. Began April 5, 2017. Restless Legs. 

Clonodine .3 mg taken at bedtime. Started December 8, 2016 for sleep. 

Levothyryroxine .150mcg taken morning. Started 22 years ago for hypothyroidism. Dosage has changed throughout the years. (I am 44 years old)

Supplements I take are a multivitamin everyday, 1200 mg fish oil including 360 mg Omega-3, Green Tea dietary supplement (2-3 tablets every morning. 1 tablet contains 200 mg green tea extract )  , over the counter sleep aid generic (1 tablet contains 50 mg diphenhydramine and I take 6 at bedtime). I have taken these for about 7 years. 

Started taking 5-HTP Plus on October 18, 2018. 50 mg twice a day. Out of desperation to try anything to regulate my mood swings. 

I had started Viibryd on August 29, 2017 20 mg. I started decreasing dose on my own to 10 mg started on June 18, 2018. Lowered to 5 mg on July 21. Ending on August 6. I didn’t experience noticeable withdrawals as in brain zaps like I have with other medications in the past. I do understand that I am experiencing withdrawals in other forms but it’s a hard one to pin down and I’ll explain in a moment. 

I started Lamictal in 2010 and have been taking 400 mg a day. On March 1, 2018 I lowered my dose to 300 mg. ,200 mg on the 10th, 100 mg on the 15th and completely off March 31st. I didn’t have major withdrawals like I have experienced in the past with this medication. 

I have to apologize because I only have the internet on my phone and do not own a computer or laptop. 

I just wanted to start here by asking how can anyone tell what is a withdrawal from a medication or the symptoms of the underlying trauma or problems that led to be placed on the medication in the first place? I have just found this website and have so much to explore so forgive me if this is already answered. 

I am having a difficult time with my moods which I can explain later. Unfortunately sleep meds are kicking in and need to go to bed. 

Anyway, thank you!!!

October 20, 2010 started 100 mg Lamictal. Gradually increased to 400 mg. Started decreasing dosage March 1, 2018. Completely off March 31, 2018

August 29, 2017 started Viibryd. Increased to 20 mg. June 18, 2018 lower dosage to 10 mg. July 25, 2018 reduced to 5 mg. August 6, 2018 completed off Viibryd. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Fionas7: Medication withdrawals or PTSD?
  • Administrator

Welcome, Fiona.

What are the most prominent symptoms with which you're concerned?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? What are your symptoms before and after? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fiona and welcome from me too,

This is an example of the notes that we find helpful:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Fiona.

What are the most prominent symptoms with which you're concerned?

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? What are your symptoms before and after? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Thank you for your reply! I will start keeping track just like you suggested. 

The symptoms I’m currently experiencing are mostly the wild mood swings. I also have gone through these phases off and on my whole life even before I started taking medication and also happen while on the medication. It’s always “out of the blue” things. I am on disability and don’t leave my home too often. The crying all of the time is a new thing for me. It’s a free for all for so many different emotions which I’m not used to. I’m usually in a numb state which I actually would prefer right now. I don’t have any attachment to any thoughts or memories but my body is feeling these emotions and acting them out. 

I’ve read and researched so many things and the closest thing that makes sense to me is work done by Peter Levene and such things like the Polyvagal Theory. Basically the (or my) nervous system is in charge all of the time. I have no idea what goes with what. Is this a reaction caused from dissociated trauma or from the medication? I know I have a lot to learn and will start keeping a list of everything that both you and ChesseeCat has recommended. 

I’m absolutely lost and honestly don’t know what to do. I’m reading a lot from this site and there is so much helpful information. Hopefully I can get a sense of what goals I can have. Thank you!

October 20, 2010 started 100 mg Lamictal. Gradually increased to 400 mg. Started decreasing dosage March 1, 2018. Completely off March 31, 2018

August 29, 2017 started Viibryd. Increased to 20 mg. June 18, 2018 lower dosage to 10 mg. July 25, 2018 reduced to 5 mg. August 6, 2018 completed off Viibryd.