SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

MrMichael: took Paxil/seroxat when I was 22 yrs, now Im 30

MrMichael

Hello,

Im 30 yrs old male, from Serbia. (Took Paxil/seroxat when I was 22 yrs) I took paxil/seroxat for about 3 weeks, and small dosage, ... I had bad side effect, and then after I stoped, I saw my penis started to be softer at top...then gradually became generally softer and my all body is weaker, I lose weight, 5,6 kilos. My muscles are weaker and cant become stronger, Im fatigued all the time. Memory and concentration went terrible off while I was on seroxat, thats why I stopped.

So, that was when I was 22 yrs old. Now I am 30 and I still have not so great sleep, memory, concentration and my errection is not what was like before paxil... I had rock hard erection.. now its little weaker, and my top of penis is softer. So I didnt recover 100%...I feel like, in 1,2 years after stoping this drug, I recover to some degree and then stopped.. and I still am that way... Its just terrible whet they doing to people with this drug.. I cant beleive, but this tought me that there is no trust in people... you have to think on yourself and dont trust anyone... 6 yrs after stoping this drug I have bad sleep, bad memory,   bad concentration, bad erection... Im happy for the fact that  i didnt use longer this drug... But, im hoping to get better.. and maybe recover with time to 100%...

Now after 6 yrs of that drug, I am better, but I am not the same as I was before, that is what haunt me...Maybe after 10 yrs, 15 ... who knows, maybe I recover, maybe not... I still have to live my life... and I live my life, just with regret that I was that stupid to trust doctors to take this drug... I have regret, thats is only one my regret... but again, that shows me that there is no trust in people. Im going to be more devoted to healthy lifestyle, sleep on time, exercise and  healthy food.. thats only thing that I can do... I was searching on internet is there one story that anyone recover 100% after paxil...
???

Edited by ChessieCat
added info from topic title and spacing

• ChessieCat changed the title to MrMichael: Took Paxil/seroxat when I was 22 yrs, now Im 30
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi MrMichael and welcome to SA,

We have a Success Stories are of the website here:  success-stories-recovery-from-withdrawal

This website's owner, Altostrata, has recovered from Paxil use.  This is the link to her story.

Please create a drug signature using the following format:

Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, MrM.

Yes, people do recover, but it can be very slow and frustrating.

Perhaps improving your sleep will help. What is your sleep schedule? What is your sleep pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Altostara did you recover 100% after 9 yrs? Are you the same you before you using medication? 

My sleep is bad... I stay longer then before, I go in bed 3,4,5 hours am, after midnight... Sometime aI have periods when I fall a sleep at 22 hrs, or 10 (2 hours before midnight), sorry for bad english. I dont get refreshing sleep...Before I sleept like log... Now my sleep is very bad... 

I remember when I took Paxil for first time, doctor told me to take full 20mg before sleep.. and then when I woke up in the morning I felt sick ...SO SICk...i returned to sleep, and then when I woke up after 6 hours more sleep, i felf better... I should never take drug after that morning... but doctor trick me and told me that is normal... i shouldnt beleive them... Thats the story...

This drug change personality ...

Im also,  hyper sensitive to alchohol, I get sick from just a little... also when i get cold, my throat pain and similar.. I get depressed and feel down... Im just MORE sensitive... i get fast irritated ...

My muscles are weak...

Altostara, tell me please?

• Administrator

Please do not drink alcohol. This can delay your recovery. Your nervous system is too sensitive.

Fixing your sleep will help you recover. Turn off all lights and stop using the computer by 9 p.m. Computer or phone use keeps you awake.

Make your bedroom very dark with blackout curtains and shades. Go to bed at the same time each night. Get up at the same time each morning. Get some natural light during the day, and at least 1/2 hour of gentle exercise, such as walking.

Do you drink a lot of coffee or tea? Caffeine can keep you awake.

Can you get melatonin supplements in your country? Taking a little melatonin at nightfall can help, see Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpfu

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, MrMichael said:

Im going to be more devoted to healthy lifestyle, sleep on time, exercise and  healthy food.. thats only thing that I can do...

Spend all your energy and time on this ,you are so correct .

Take it from an ex binge drinker[nearly 4 years sober] ,do not touch a drop of alcohol ,alcohol is a stimulant and a depressive substance ,if you cant be without it ,understand and challenge why safely .

Your still young so keep at it .

Take care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year !

I took your advice, i sleep better, exercise and eat well.

But the sitation is still the same.

I notied when I get cold, sick, throat sweel and high body temperature, Im more sensitive and it have greater impact on me. Im feeling so much bad when I get sick? 

Before paxil thay wasnt the case. Am I more sensitive now, whats going on?

Altostrata, will I with time recover 100%? Did you recover?

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature as previously requested.  This way we can see your drug history at a glance whenever you post.

Your nervous system has been destabilised from going on and off drug/s.  It will take time.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

And healing isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you for answer. I did complete my signature, dont know is it right?

Can you tell me, I just watch all fo this that you send... its mentioned that it takes several years, 2,3 years.... Its past 7 years since i stoped taking it... and dont notice any waves or windows... its the same all the time... One year after I stopped I felt difference  in a sence that i was better... after that I am at the same spot... Is it possible that im damaged and will stay like this forever?

• Moderator Emeritus

I took paxil for 3 weeks

Please add the year that you took Paxil.  Thank you.

For some people it can take longer.  The brain may still be making some minor adjustments.  However you did state this in your first post.  Perhaps you expected to be the same as you were before taking the drug.  Nobody is the same as they were 6 or 7 years ago.  That is a fact of life.  Maybe the way you are now is how you would have become even without taking the drug.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:26 AM, MrMichael said:

Now after 6 yrs off that drug, I am better, but I am not the same as I was before

Instead of comparing ourselves with how we felt at our best, it is better to compare how we feel now with how we felt at our worst.

But I expect to be like me before in sence of my concentration, memory, muscles and libido, erection..that isnt better... I was better in that way before I took that.. I dont see how you can explain what you are saying? You are saying that, I would be like this regardles if I took drug? How can you say that? YOu are sounding like those doctors that dont have a clue... my state right now is because that hells drug paxil...................

• Moderator Emeritus
49 minutes ago, MrMichael said:

You are saying that, I would be like this regardles if I took drug? How can you say that?

My apologies.  I should have said it a different way.

Instead of:

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Perhaps you expected to be the same as you were before taking the drug.  Nobody is the same as they were 6 or 7 years ago.  That is a fact of life.  Maybe the way you are now is how you would have become even without taking the drug. 

Maybe some of the way you are now is how you would have become even without taking the drug.

It sounds like you are defending that drug...  I cant go in to discussion with you like this...

If Altostrata can answer my question, it would be great?

• Moderator Emeritus
20 minutes ago, MrMichael said:

It sounds like you are defending that drug

I am not, in any way, defending that drug or any psychiatric drug.  I am 61 and I've been on an antidepressant for 25 years.  My emotions have been numbed for a large part of my adult life and my reduced quality of life has greatly affected not only me but my children as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, MrMichael said:

Hi @MrMichael,

Do you feel any better in summer vs winter? 

Do you have a job right now? 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Have you had your hormones checked?

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I took Paxil for 3 weeks and it changed me in negative way. 

Why?

I finally understand why? So I want to share you my research.

After Paxil, and similar acting SSRI you cant really recover 100%, you can get near, but 100% is very hard, maybe if you are that lucky ... 

So SSRI what it does it allow for serotonin to build up in large quantity. Because of that, you have desensitization of serotonin receptors 5 HT. Desecsitization and down regulation of receptors. So you are not that sensitive  to external stimulans, expecially  in sexual way. You need more to get excited and your penis is not that hard as rock like it was before, and your sleep is not good like before, memory, concentration and so on... Serotonin have 7 group and a large number of smal groups within, and that determines our character. So I noticed that I changed, some of my behavior did changed... but that is mostly because I am not that sensitive and exited about life in general... 

Also evryone that uses or did use paxil or ssri have danger of developing diabetes type 2..

Alse we are more sensitive to feel very bad when we get cold, or to certain medication... ALL THIS because our down regulated receptors.

You can search about all on PubMed, there are over 10 000 articles. One have name: Selective desensitization of serotonin (5-HT) receptor...

What is solution.. 

I did read about Inositol or Myo Inositol that can help to balance and UP REGULATE receptors... but Im affraid of trying this... Maybe...

One thing that is for suer is EXERCISE... and FOOD.

So IM MAD because this drug made my to feel like DRUG ADDICT, like DRUG USER.. and I never been drunk in my life EVER... And no 9 years after paxil I feel bad... I think I can never be the same like before, and THAT is, to feel exited about small things... to be happy about small things.. Now because im tired all the time and desensitived I need more and the feeling is not the same...

What do you think?

• Administrator

MrMichael, have you read any of those PubMed articles? In general, they say the neurobiological changes go away off the drug.

Psychiatric drugs undeniably have adverse effects and change the nervous system. But what we see here is that people very gradually recover, in a very frustrating way that can take years.

As you're recovering, you are inevitably growing older. You can't step in the same river twice.

Exercise and healthy food are good for healing, If you've found that helpful, please continue it and stop worrying about a future that you cannot determine.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MrMichael: took Paxil/seroxat when I was 22 yrs, now Im 30