SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jakebob: paroxetine and mirtazapine withdrawal

Jakebob

Hello Everyone! My name is Tomek, I'm 33 years old and my miserable adventure with antidepressant started 9 years ago in December 2009. My entire history with antidepressants is in my Signature. Suffice to say that I had some experience with withdrawing from many meds especially from SSRI and benzodiazepines.

Xanax withdrawal.

In 2014 after an accident I was very much addicted to Xanax, taking it every day. During that time I had some very unpleasant incident with this med. On one Sunday I started to feel extremely bad. From very early morning to late night I had many unpleasant symptoms like: extreme sweating (all the time I looked like I've just had a shower), muscle pain, muscle stiffness, tachycardia, extremely dry mouth and problems with my eyesight. I completely stopped taking Xanax at that moment. I was in this terrible state for the next five days. The good thing is that after this incident I practically stopped taking benzos for good. During the last 4 years, I've taken them maybe once per year and even that in very small doses. The bad thing is that since then I still have problems with my eyesight, specifically, my eyes have some strange problem with focusing on objects, like my vision becomes shaky when I try to focus my eyes. To this day I'm still not 100% sure what happened to me. Was it benzo withdrawal like my psychiatrist suggested or something else, for example, serotonin syndrome (I was on Clomipramine and Mirtazapine back then). After this incident for the next 6 months, I had a terrible anxiety almost every day.

Anyway, in December 2014 I started taking Paroxetine 30mg (Seroxat) again. Since September 2014 I’m also on Mirtazapine 15mg. From 2015 to 2017 I actually felt pretty well on those meds. Even problems with my eyesight weren't very bothersome, although it never completely healed after the incident with benzos.

Paroxetine withdrawal.

Finally, at the end of 2017, after 3 years I decided to start withdrawing from those meds. My liver tests weren't very good so that's one of the reasons but not only.

My first attempts weren’t really successful as I hesitated between 30mg and 20mg. During January 2018 I went three times between those doses. One of the reasons is that my close friend died during that time. This made me feel very depressed and anxious. I don't know if this was because of changing those doses or because I was very stressed back then but I started to feel physically ill. I was nauseous, weak, I had dizziness and photophobia. After three weeks I started to feel a little better. I decided to tamper the doses very gradually. For two weeks I was reducing from 30mg to 20mg. After that, I stopped reducing and was on 20mg for 2 months. Then again reducing from 20mg to 10mg for 2 weeks. Then 3 months on 10mg and after that reducing to 0mg for 3-4 weeks. I finally stopped taking Paroxetine in August 11th 2018r.

Changing the dose slowly from 30mg to 20mg wasn't that bad. However, going from 20mg to 10mg was a whole different story. I had unpleasant brain zaps and was nauseous. The worse part was actually my mental state. I was constantly irritated, even the smallest things could make me feel angry. Never in my life felt something like that. Fortunately, after 2-3 weeks, I started to feel better. Not as good as before changing the dose but I could make through the day without hitting my desk with fists. So somewhere in the middle of July, I decided to finally go for it and try to reduce my dose to 0mg. During it, my photophobia and afterimages increased. On August 11th, 2018 was the first day since more than 3 years that I finally survived the day without Paroxetine. Since then I'm depressed almost every day, especially in the mornings, a few times I had panic attacks during the night and couldn't sleep. I'm still on Mirtazapine so that helped me with sleeping. Then fun fact though is that without Paro I managed to finally go on vacation after 5 years ;-). In the past, I always felt too lazy to go somewhere.

Mirtazapine withdrawal.

My next plan was to withdraw from Mirtazapine. I started reducing doses from 15 mg to something like 11mg at the end of September. At the end of October, I was on 7.5 mg for almost three weeks. Unfortunately, I started feeling worse, more often had panic attacks and my eyesight went even worse. At the beginning of November, I've returned to 15mg but that didn't help me very much. My eyes still have a problem with focusing and my vision is shaky, I'm experiencing brain zaps although they're not as strong as they were before. At this point, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to withdrawing from Mirtazapine so fast when I've just stopped taking Paroxetine like 3 months ago. On the other hand, I really want to try to get off this med.

I apologize for any mistakes in this text due to my poor English.

December 2009 - February 2012:  Paroxetine (Seroxat), occasionally Clorazepate || February 2012 - November 2012: Escitalopram || November 2012 - May 2013: Venlafaxine, also benzodiazepines, mostly Xanax || June 2013 - December 2013: only benzodiazepines Xanax, I'm starting to become addicted to it. || December 2013 - March 2014: again Paroxetine, very often Xanax || March 2014 - June 2014Fluoxetine. Changed Paroxetine to Fluoxetine. I was practically addicted to Xanax at this point. || I had an unpleasant accident in June 2014. Abruptly Stopped taking SSRIs but was still addicted to benzos. || August 2014 I started taking Clomipramine and in September 2014 Mirtazapine 10 mg. This was the time I stopped taking benzos for good. The withdrawal was pretty hard for more than half a year.  || October 2014: Stopped Clomipramine and for month tried Sertraline

September 2014 to Present DayMirtazapine 15mg 
December 2014 to August 2018 I was on 30 mg Paroxetine.  Started tapering in January 2018
. Going twice from 30mg to 20mg in a matter of 2-3 days. Didn't work. Started again in February 2018.

Generally every 2 months I was making a big drop by 10mg in a matter of two weeks. I stopped taking it completely in August 11th, 2018.  My Symptoms include depression, anxiety, sleeping problems, apathy, anhedonia, photophobia, afterimages, other vision problems (hard to vocus my eyes), tinnitus, brain fog. The problems with my eyesight are especially annoying and scary.  After four months they have become more severe.

Currently: 15mg mirtazapine (since September 2014), 0 paroxetine

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jakebob: paroxetine and mirtazapine withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Jakebob.  Sorry you're having these symptoms.

First, please put your Mirtazapine taper in your signature.  Also put the rate at which you tapered the Paroxetine.

You were tapering the Mirt too fast, following a too-fast taper of Paroxetine.  We recommend tapering at no more than 10% of current dose every 4 weeks.

You are now in withdrawal.  You will stabilize but it will take some time.  To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Also, some of your symptoms are likely due to the fact that you updosed too high a dose of Mirt.  Since the time you started reducing the Mirt you brain became accustomed to the lower doses and could not handle the updose.  You will recover from this also but again it will take some time.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

You've had three major changes since August. Your brain needs some stability now. I suggest you stop your Mirt taper and hold where you are on it for several months until you stabilize.

At that point you can begin a 10% (or slower) taper of the Mirt.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is the place for you to ask questions and post updates.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hello Gridley! Thank you very much for your answer!

I updated my Signature. I'll be trying to make it more readable over time. I put the rates of tapering Paroxetine and Mirtazapine in it.

I know now about the 10% rule when it comes to tapering. The biggest problem is, however, dividing my tablets. The smallest dose of Mirtazapine that I can find in my country is 15mg. And as far as I know, Mirtazapine is not available here in liquid form. Maybe it would be possible to order it from another country. I'll try to find out, ask my doctor.

I wanted to try to start tapering Mirtazapine again in December this year. I don't want to be taking it any longer. I'm frightened that the longer I'll be taking it the more detrimental it will be to my health and the harder it will be to stop taking it. On the other hand, I understand it may be too fast, as I  stopped taking Paroxetine just 3 months ago.

December 2009 - February 2012:  Paroxetine (Seroxat), occasionally Clorazepate || February 2012 - November 2012: Escitalopram || November 2012 - May 2013: Venlafaxine, also benzodiazepines, mostly Xanax || June 2013 - December 2013: only benzodiazepines Xanax, I'm starting to become addicted to it. || December 2013 - March 2014: again Paroxetine, very often Xanax || March 2014 - June 2014Fluoxetine. Changed Paroxetine to Fluoxetine. I was practically addicted to Xanax at this point. || I had an unpleasant accident in June 2014. Abruptly Stopped taking SSRIs but was still addicted to benzos. || August 2014 I started taking Clomipramine and in September 2014 Mirtazapine 10 mg. This was the time I stopped taking benzos for good. The withdrawal was pretty hard for more than half a year.  || October 2014: Stopped Clomipramine and for month tried Sertraline

December 2014 to August 2018 I was on 30 mg Paroxetine.  Started tapering in January 2018
. Going twice from 30mg to 20mg in a matter of 2-3 days. Didn't work. Started again in February 2018.

Generally every 2 months I was making a big drop by 10mg in a matter of two weeks. I stopped taking it completely in August 11th, 2018.  My Symptoms include depression, anxiety, sleeping problems, apathy, anhedonia, photophobia, afterimages, other vision problems (hard to vocus my eyes), tinnitus, brain fog. The problems with my eyesight are especially annoying and scary.  After four months they have become more severe.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please look at this link and see if any of the methods described for making a smaller dose would work for you.

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you Gridley.

If I won't be able to get Mirtazapine in liquid form somehow then I'll be forced to cut those 15mg tablets and weigh them. Tapering precisely by 10% may be extremely hard with those pills. However, I definitely want to do this slowly.

I'm trying to read topics from the links you’ve provided. Unfortunately reading about some of the things that people had gone through makes me really anxious and I need to take a break sometimes.

At this point, I'm pretty scared what will happen to me in the coming weeks or even months. I mean it's been 3 months since my last dose of Paroxetine, something about 100 days. Some days were great but many, many were tough. From what I understand my WD symptoms can get even worse. I can have those windows when I'm feeling alright and then waves when I can feel terrible. Maybe it's better if I wait a few months and then try to taper Mirtazapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jakebob,

I would definitely wait until you are better before you start the taper of the Mirtzapine.

I know it is difficult, but try not to be afraid, which can be stressful to the central nervous system.  Having a positive attitude really helps you recover.  You might find these links helpful:

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Only read as much as you can comfortably.  Take as much time as you need.  There is no rush.
Here is information about using a digital scale.  Many members of SA, including me, use the Gemini-20 scale to measure doses.  I would guess you don't have Amazon.com in Poland, but the scale is available from Amazon.com in the UK (and of course in the US.).  Do you know someone in the UK who could order it for you and send it to you?  Or perhaps Amazon.com UK ships to Poland.

Please continue to check in and let us know how you're doing.

Gridley

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Yes, fortunately, Amazon sends to Poland so ordering digital scale shouldn't be a problem. I may also try to find some good pill crusher or pill cutter.

I feel like my WD could get worse. 
Last night I practically couldn't sleep. This is the third time during the last four weeks when I had this problem. 

I took 15mg Mirtazapine as always in the late evening. After 40 minutes I went to bed. I managed to sleep for about 20 min then I suddenly started to wake up. Then again in a similar pattern, I fell asleep for 5 minutes and woke up and the same again, and again. At 3 am I couldn't sleep whatsoever. I became extremely irritated and restless. Very similar to how I felt 3 months ago when I was on a very low dose of Paro and after I stopped taking it. At 5 am I just gave up and took 0.25mg Xanax, which finally helped me fall asleep for 5 hours. If this will happen today I'll probably take a larger dose of Mirtazapine, maybe 30mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

It would be a very bad idea to double your Mirtzapine dose from 15mg to 30mg.  That could be very destabilizing to your system.  Stay where you are at 15 and stabilize.  That can take several months.  These drugs are very strong, and your system needs stability.  Remember, you just came off a rapid taper of Paxil, plus a large updose of Mirtzapine.   Your system is working very hard to stabilize.  Don't add more instability.

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Please be very careful with the Xanax.  Benzos can cause dependency in as little as 2 - 4 weeks.

Insomnia is a very common withdrawal symptom.  Three nights of sleep problems in four months is really not bad.  It is very tempting to take a pill to try to fix what another pill caused, but that puts you on the drug merry-go-round, which is what you want to get off.  It is important to learn non-drug methods of coping with withdrawal symptoms, including insomnia.  There are some sleep techniques in the following link:

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Can you get Melatonin in Poland or via Amazon?  It can help with sleep.  Start with a very low dose, .25mg and see if it helps.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Administrator

Welcome, JakeBob.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jakebob said:

On August 11th, 2018 was the first day since more than 3 years that I finally survived the day without Paroxetine

It looks to me like you are suffering post-acute withdrawal from paroxetine. This put your nervous system in a fragile state. Going up and down in mirtazapine has triggered some instability.

5 hours ago, Jakebob said:

I took 15mg Mirtazapine as always in the late evening. After 40 minutes I went to bed. I managed to sleep for about 20 min then I suddenly started to wake up. Then again in a similar pattern, I fell asleep for 5 minutes and woke up and the same again, and again. At 3 am I couldn't sleep whatsoever. I became extremely irritated and restless. Very similar to how I felt 3 months ago when I was on a very low dose of Paro and after I stopped taking it. At 5 am I just gave up and took 0.25mg Xanax, which finally helped me fall asleep for 5 hours. If this will happen today I'll probably take a larger dose of Mirtazapine, maybe 30mg.

Because your nervous system is now hypersensitive, you are getting a paradoxical reaction to mirtazapine. This means that when it takes effect, it's waking you up instead of putting you to sleep.

If this happens one day out of 10, that's not too bad. I would stick with 15mg mirtazapine and let your nervous system settle down.

I would stay at 15mg mirtazapine for 2 weeks and let us know how you're doing. If the paradoxical reaction gets worse, that means you're taking too much mirtazapine, not too little.

More mirtazapine probably will make the paradoxical reaction worse. If I were you, I would not increase from 15mg mirtazapine.

Avoid taking Xanax, it will cause worse problems for you.

When was the last time you increased mirtazapine, to 15mg? What dosage were you taking prior to that?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Gridley and Altostrata.

4 hours ago, Gridley said:

Please be very careful with the Xanax.  Benzos can cause dependency in as little as 2 - 4 weeks.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Avoid taking Xanax, it will cause worse problems for you.

Ohh yes I know it. I had WD from Xanax in 2014-2015 which took 6 months to stabilize. This was actually the reason I was prescribed 30mg Paroxetine. 

I can somehow fight depression and anxiety during the day, it can be tough but I can usually bear it. But suffering insomnia and having panic attacks during the night scares me the most. So I was pretty desperate and took Xanax. I'll be trying some meditation, exercises and listening to music during my sleep. Actually, when I had a panic attack about two weeks ago during the night I started on youtube some relaxing music for sleeping and I think it helped.

4 hours ago, Gridley said:

Can you get Melatonin in Poland or via Amazon?  It can help with sleep.  Start with a very low dose, .25mg and see if it helps.

Yes, I can get Melatonine here. Can I use it when I'm taking Mirtazapine?

When was the last time you increased mirtazapine, to 15mg? What dosage were you taking prior to that?

I increased Mirtazapine from 7.5mg to 15mg 24 days ago. Prior to that, I was for 3 weeks on 7.5mg. And before that 2 weeks on 11.25mg. Before even that, I was constantly on 15 mg.
To be honest I didn't feel very bad at 7.5mg. What's more important I actually didn't have any problems with falling asleep at that dose. 

The first problem with sleeping during the last 2 months started exactly on the night when I increased the dose.
Instead of 7.5mg, I took 15mg. After I went to bed I got a panic attack. After about one hour when I couldn't fall asleep I took another 15mg pill. Yeah. So during that night, I took 30mg. And I still couldn't fall asleep. I probably really screwed it up then.
This was only the one time when I was on 30mg. For the rest of the days, I have been taking 15 mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, Jakebob said:

Yes, I can get Melatonine here. Can I use it when I'm taking Mirtazapine?

I wouldn't introduce it at this point.  I'd suggest you follow Alto's suggestions and get stabilized with the Mirtazapine and determine your best dosage for it without introducing another element into the equation..

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

I slept the last 3 nights without major problems. Still on 15mg Mirtazapine, without changing the dose. I'm drinking some herbal tea in the evening, trying not to eat anything before going to bed.  I've bought Melatonine but haven't taken it yet. Going to see my doctor tomorrow. 

I feel that my mental state after those 3 months without Paroxetine is getting worse. I'm scared that I just give up soon and will try to reinstate Paroxetine. But on the other hand, I just don't want to have anything to do with those medications anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Jakebob said:

I slept the last 3 nights without major problems. Still on 15mg Mirtazapine, without changing the dose. I'm drinking some herbal tea in the evening, trying not to eat anything before going to bed.  I've bought Melatonine but haven't taken it yet. Going to see my doctor tomorrow. 

It's great that you've slept okay the last three nights.  What herbal tea have you been drinking?  I'd hold off on the melatonin if you're sleep is reasonably okay.

I feel that my mental state after those 3 months without Paroxetine is getting worse. I'm scared that I just give up soon and will try to reinstate Paroxetine. But on the other hand, I just don't want to have anything to do with those medications anymore.

You went from 10mg paroxetine to zero without tapering, is that correct?  It's quite possible you have withdrawal from paroxetine.  After three months off, it wouldn't be a good idea to reinstate a full dose of paroxetine or even 10mg - this could potentially cause adverse reactions because your system has done some adaptation since you stopped it.  What symptoms are you having that you think are related to paroxetine withdrawal?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

So, unfortunately, I wasn't able to sleep much this night, like two hours maybe. I was constantly anxious and had even some brain zaps. I think when I have this problem I'm also more than usually anxious the day before it. Especially when I worry that the next day may be stressful.

5 hours ago, Songbird said:

It's great that you've slept okay the last three nights.  What herbal tea have you been drinking?  I'd hold off on the melatonin if you're sleep is reasonably okay.

Here is a list of ingredients. I'm not 100% sure if I'm translating them correctly. It consists of rosehip, hawthorn fruit, lemon balm leaf,  hop cone, fennel, lavender flower.

5 hours ago, Songbird said:

You went from 10mg paroxetine to zero without tapering, is that correct?  It's quite possible you have withdrawal from paroxetine.  After three months off, it wouldn't be a good idea to reinstate a full dose of paroxetine or even 10mg - this could potentially cause adverse reactions because your system has done some adaptation since you stopped it.  What symptoms are you having that you think are related to paroxetine withdrawal?

I was on 10mg paroxetine for about 3 months, then started tapering for about 3 weeks before complete withdrawal. Currently, I'm depressed and anxious during the day. Don't have much motivation to do anything. I worry a lot. My vision problems have intensified (problem with focusing my eyes, photophobia). And of course the worst one, this insomnia. It's not like I'm feeling I do not want to sleep. I'm just too anxious and thinking too much and when I fall asleep I'm waking after a few minutes.

I'm feeling terrible today after that awful night. Constant anxiety, much more severe depression than in the last weeks, lots of intrusive thoughts. Feeling sad and want to cry but somehow I can't.

Still, managed to go and see my doctor. Of course, he is skeptical that this is prolonged withdrawal from paroxetine. Even though I tell him that I have brain zaps and never had such severe sleeping problems in the past.

The doctor suggested that I could take 30mg mirtazapine instead of 15mg during the night with insomnia and not necessarily increasing it to this dose for a longer period, just for sleepless nights.

He also prescribed Ketilept saying that I could take it when I have sleeping problems.

Said that reinstating paroxetine is also a possibility.

But I don't know. I just don't know what to do. 

Maybe I'll try to search for another psychiatrist.

• Administrator

Please stop panicking when you lose a night of sleep. We see people with post-acute withdrawal syndrome who are a lot worse.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, Altostrata said:

If this happens one day out of 10, that's not too bad. I would stick with 15mg mirtazapine and let your nervous system settle down.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:39 PM, Jakebob said:

To be honest I didn't feel very bad at 7.5mg. What's more important I actually didn't have any problems with falling asleep at that dose. 

On 11/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jakebob said:

My next plan was to withdraw from Mirtazapine. I started reducing doses from 15 mg to something like 11mg at the end of September. At the end of October, I was on 7.5 mg for almost three weeks. Unfortunately, I started feeling worse, more often had panic attacks and my eyesight went even worse. At the beginning of November, I've returned to 15mg but that didn't help me very much.

It does sound reducing mirtazapine in September was somewhat destabilizing. This is probably why your sleep is rocky now.

Since you slept well for 3 nights, I am hesitant to suggest any adjustment in mirtazapine now. When you are stabilizing, an occasional sleepless night is not unusual. These should get less and less frequent as time goes on. That would be the right time to reduce mirtazapine.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Jakebob said:

He also prescribed Ketilept saying that I could take it when I have sleeping problems.

Ketilept is quetiapine.  I don't think adding another drug in at this stage is a great idea, it could confuse things even more.

Have you tried any relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation?  These can be helpful for getting to sleep, especially if you do them regularly, as the effect can build up over time.  They're also good for reducing anxiety.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi JakeBob, 

Yes, please don’t add another drug into the mix. I’m on quetiapine, which is what Ketilept is, and I’ve gone through the most horrific withdrawals trying to come off it, and continue to do so. 

It’s a really potent medication and doctors hand it out like lollies these days for insomnia. It is an antipsychotic and it really is a horrible medication to have to taper from. 

Take care and please make wise decisions.

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thank you for all your advice and kind words.

Managed to sleep quite alright last night. Still on 15mg mirtazapine. I'll try to follow your advice and not add anything or change my dose unless I'll have insomnia every night. 

13 hours ago, Songbird said:

Ketilept is quetiapine.  I don't think adding another drug in at this stage is a great idea, it could confuse things even more.

11 hours ago, Carmie said:

Yes, please don’t add another drug into the mix. I’m on quetiapine, which is what Ketilept is, and I’ve gone through the most horrific withdrawals trying to come off it, and continue to do so. 

That's what I was afraid of. Withdrawing from one medicine just to start taking another one is not what I want to do. 

16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please stop panicking when you lose a night of sleep. We see people with post-acute withdrawal syndrome who are a lot worse.

I understand. I'm unfortunately quite hysterical right now, especially since stopping paroxetine. I know that keeping calm is the key right now.

13 hours ago, Songbird said:

Have you tried any relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation?  These can be helpful for getting to sleep, especially if you do them regularly, as the effect can build up over time.  They're also good for reducing anxiety.

Yes. My doctor advised me to try them. I just need to make them my daily habit. Also some breathing exercises. I definitely plan to find out more about meditation, maybe also start some yoga classes. I'm trying to walk every day with my dog for 30-60 minutes. Exercising for at least half an hour with dumbbells.  I avoid drinks with caffeine. 

12 hours ago, Carmie said:

Sending hugs🤗

Thank you, much appreciated. 
Take care.

Another night, and another insomnia. I thought I was pretty relaxed in the evening. When I lay down I was constantly waking up. I took Melatonine. However it's not problem with falling asleep but with constant waking up. I sleep for 2-3 minutes and immediately waking up with a shiver and brain zaps. I wouldn't say it's a full panic attack, it's just this feeling of shaking and something like electric charges that go through my body.

I also have to pee very often during the night.

I'm sorry that I complain here every day. This helps to calm down a little.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Jakebob said:

Another night, and another insomnia. I thought I was pretty relaxed in the evening. When I lay down I was constantly waking up. I took Melatonine. However it's not problem with falling asleep but with constant waking up. I sleep for 2-3 minutes and immediately waking up with a shiver and brain zaps. I wouldn't say it's a full panic attack, it's just this feeling of shaking and something like electric charges that go through my body.

I also have to pee very often during the night.

I'm sorry that I complain here every day. This helps to calm down a little.

This is a very common pattern when people are stabilizing. You will have some rough patches. 

These sleeplessness night should become less and less frequent. Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages, plus your sleep pattern. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Read this 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

and

Thank you Altostrata and ChessieCat.

At 3 am I took another 15mg mirtazapine pill. After that, I slept for about 3 hours. At 6 am I couldn't sleep again because of strong anxiety which from what I understand maybe be a morning cortisol spike.

I don't know what is worse at this point. Taking another mirtazapine pill, taking some benzo, or not taking anything besides my standard dose of mirtazapine and not sleeping at all.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages, plus your sleep pattern. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

I made notes about the last three days and I will keep making them on a daily basis. My memory is rather bad right now. I don't really remember the symptoms from a few days ago so making those notes is a must.

I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can from this fantastic forum. I regret I hadn't found it before I started tapering paroxetine. At least now I'm beginning to understand what is happening to me and see that many people have to go through similar experiences.

In the matter of the last 3 days, I tried to make some changes in my daily lifestyle. 

- I try to go for a walk every day for about 1 hour. Today I walked for 10 kilometers. It helps me to calm down quite a bit.

- I'm introducing into my diet more vegetables and fruits and stopping sweets.

- In the evening I'm doing different relaxing activities like progressive muscle relaxation, breathing exercises, trying guided meditation and some yoga. I think I feel a little better in the evening thanks to this. I will be trying to do these exercises also earlier during my day.

- I'm making notes every day as instructed 

This is my fourth month of WD and definitely the worst. I had more sleepless nights than in the other 3 months, my anxiety is much worse now, everyday I have brain zaps, I have a problem with concentration, it's even hard for me to sit and watch some Netflix or DVD. From what I've read here many people are starting to have severe WD symptoms in their fourth month since stopping the med. It looks very similar in my case.

I've been thinking, maybe it would be worth to reinstate paroxetine. I know I would have to start it with a very small dose, something like 1mg. After increasing it to max let's say 10mg, I would try to stabilize for at least a year and then start to taper again, this time 10% every 4 weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus
Reinstatement works most predictably within three months of the last dose.  You're just outside that but it's still possible reinstatement might work for you.

During the 3+ months you've been of the Paroxetine, your brain has made adjustments to not having the drug, which is why we usually suggest a very small dose, such as what you suggested, 1mg.   Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months you can begin a 10% every 4 weeks taper down to zero.

Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   

These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase only if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Increasing all the way back up to 10mg will be far too much.

Please keep in mind that reinstatement may not eliminate all WD symptoms, i.e., you may not have perfect sleep.  What we are looking for is tolerable symptoms.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Thank you Gridley. 

So it looks like it's a gamble for me. But if I want to try it it's probably better to do it in the next few days than to wait. I think if I decide to do it I may even try with 0.5mg to see if it will trigger any adverse effects.

In January this year when I twice tapered from 30mg to 20mg in a matter of 2-3 days and then instantly reinstated to 30mg I was ill for the next 3 weeks. 

• Moderator Emeritus
41 minutes ago, Jakebob said:

I think if I decide to do it I may even try with 0.5mg to see if it will trigger any adverse effects.

You could even start with 0.25mg if you are concerned.  Think of it as a tester dose.  It is better to start with a small amount and increase if necessary by small amounts.

As Gridley said, your brain has already made some changes since you've been off so going back up to 10mg would most likely be way too much.  The drugs are strong.  At SA we think in terms of "lowest effective dose" not therapeutic dose, which is an *arbitrary term which the pharmaceutical companies use and of course the doctors get their drug info from them.

* based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you ChessieCat.

I've just ordered Gemini-20 scale. If I can cut my pills to get 0.25mg I'll try with that dose. I am meeting with my old psychiatrist next Tuesday, after that, I'll be trying to reinstate paro. Probably.

Another matter is that when my sleeping problems got worse a few days ago I stopped taking all my supplements. It was lutein, omega-3, and magnesium. I was thinking about reinstating them one at a time. But if I will be reinstating paroxetine I think I may hold off with supplements for a few weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

But if I will be reinstating paroxetine I think I may hold off with supplements for a few weeks.

I would hold off on the supplements for now.  One change at a time.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Administrator
On 11/30/2018 at 8:41 AM, Jakebob said:

I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can from this fantastic forum. I regret I hadn't found it before I started tapering paroxetine. At least now I'm beginning to understand what is happening to me and see that many people have to go through similar experiences.

In the matter of the last 3 days, I tried to make some changes in my daily lifestyle. 

- I try to go for a walk every day for about 1 hour. Today I walked for 10 kilometers. It helps me to calm down quite a bit.

- I'm introducing into my diet more vegetables and fruits and stopping sweets.

- In the evening I'm doing different relaxing activities like progressive muscle relaxation, breathing exercises, trying guided meditation and some yoga. I think I feel a little better in the evening thanks to this. I will be trying to do these exercises also earlier during my day.

- I'm making notes every day as instructed 

This is my fourth month of WD and definitely the worst. I had more sleepless nights than in the other 3 months, my anxiety is much worse now, everyday I have brain zaps, I have a problem with concentration, it's even hard for me to sit and watch some Netflix or DVD. From what I've read here many people are starting to have severe WD symptoms in their fourth month since stopping the med. It looks very similar in my case.

I've been thinking, maybe it would be worth to reinstate paroxetine. I know I would have to start it with a very small dose, something like 1mg. After increasing it to max let's say 10mg, I would try to stabilize for at least a year and then start to taper again, this time 10% every 4 weeks. 

Good to hear you've made some changes, such as the walking, and you're feeling better.

If the brain zaps have increased in frequency or intensity, trying a reinstatement of 1mg paroxetine (or less, if it makes you feel safer), makes sense.

3 hours ago, Jakebob said:

Thank you ChessieCat.

I've just ordered Gemini-20 scale. If I can cut my pills to get 0.25mg I'll try with that dose. I am meeting with my old psychiatrist next Tuesday, after that, I'll be trying to reinstate paro. Probably.

Another matter is that when my sleeping problems got worse a few days ago I stopped taking all my supplements. It was lutein, omega-3, and magnesium. I was thinking about reinstating them one at a time. But if I will be reinstating paroxetine I think I may hold off with supplements for a few weeks.

I would use a homemade liquid rather than weighing the tablets, it's easier. But the method is up to you.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Magnesium is best taken in small doses throughout the day.

Thank you Altostrata.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

If the brain zaps have increased in frequency or intensity, trying a reinstatement of 1mg paroxetine (or less, if it makes you feel safer), makes sense.

Yes I feel like they've increased both in frequency and intensity. I have also much more tingling sensations  

Generally the last two week seem to be much worse than any other day during those 3 months since stopping paro. Today early evening I had stronger than usual anxiety, maybe even akathisia. I was alone at home so maybe that was the reason. I had to go out, went on a car ride around my city to try to relax, then walked again. I think it helped a bit.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I would use a homemade liquid rather than weighing the tablets, it's easier. But the method is up to you.

I understand. I'll try to read about and see if it will be easier for me. Thank you.

Thank you, everyone, who answered me in this thread. You people are amazing. I'm feeling so miserably, and don't know if I will make it alive to the end of this journey. But thank you.

I have another question. Does anyone know about some kind of online therapy (in English) or coaching where I could talk to someone about my mental state during WD? I mean preferably someone who understands something about WD. I will be looking for therapists in my home city and country, but I'm pessimistic about their knowledge when it comes to WD from AD. And I just need someone to talk to from time to time, someone who at least tries to understand this situation. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/2/2018 at 11:46 PM, Jakebob said:

I have another question. Does anyone know about some kind of online therapy (in English) or coaching where I could talk to someone about my mental state during WD? I mean preferably someone who understands something about WD. I will be looking for therapists in my home city and country, but I'm pessimistic about their knowledge when it comes to WD from AD. And I just need someone to talk to from time to time, someone who at least tries to understand this situation. 

I think traditional talk therapy isn't particularly useful for withdrawal, but thought techniques such as CBT, ACT, mindfulness, and so on, can be very useful coping tools to have in your withdrawal toolkit.  Here are some topics to look through:

Cognitive behavior therapy CBT for anxiety depression and withdrawal-symptoms

Online cognitive behavior therapy lessons

Dr Rob Purssey's tips about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)

Mindfulness and acceptance

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

• Moderator Emeritus

Jakebob, how are you doing?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Hello,

Thank you for your messages Songbird.

I apologize for not writing anything in the last two weeks. I've tried to relax and calm down as much as possible and not worry about my paro withdrawal. The good thing is that during the last two weeks I've managed to sleep every night! I had nights when I was waking more often, also many times had panic attacks in the morning. But nothing so severe as the last time. 

I am usually more anxious and depressed in the mornings. In the afternoon I often feel nauseous and week. Still having problems with my eyesight. 
Making notes every day.

Some things I've done (that I also mentioned in my previous posts):

• walking every day for at least 1 hour but usually more than 2 hours 
  • relaxing breathing exercises, PMR, guided meditation, yoga. I try everything, especially in the evening, before going to bed.
  • stopped taking all my supplements (lutein, magnesium and omega-3). I want to reinstate magnesium because my left eyelid is shaking but I'm scared this may cause sleeping problems,
  • stopped doing some strength exercises with dumbbells. I was afraid they were making me more restless in the evening and were causing my brain zaps to be more severe. Not 100% sure about it though.
  • praying (I wasn't even religious in the last few years)
  • using window blinds to make my room as dark as possible in the morning

I am extremely grateful that I've managed to sleep fairly good recently. Still, every evening when I'm going to bed I'm frightened that this may be the night when I won't be able to sleep again. I'm scared that I'm in this window when I'm feeling a little better but any day now it may end and I may start feeling much worse. Every day I'm bombarded with intrusive thoughts. I'm scared how I will hold up without paroxetine, I'm scared that I may die at any moment. I am constantly worried about the safety of the people I love. Thankfully I feel that all those relaxing exercises and meditation really can help in those situations.

I haven't reinstated paroxetine. It's a difficult decision but I haven't done that yet. Still on 15mg mirtazapine. I'm staying clear from benzodiazepines and not introducing any other medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are doing much better.  You're doing a really great job with the non-drug coping techniques.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine