Nicky: paroxetine weaning

Nicky

Morning all,

have decided to wean myself off paroxetine (Paxil) again.  Tried for the 1st time about 10yrs ago (I think), but never quite got there.

Got a new job & the brain fog was not conducive to keeping the job!  So here I am again 10yrs later and would really like to do it successfully this time.

Have been on 20mg, reduced to 15mg over a 6week period, then down to 10mg since last Monday. 

Have found that from today I need to go back up to 15mg as the brain fog is getting worse, not better.

Decided to find online support & found the Paxil Progress group had been closed down & found this one.

Please let me know which threads are recommended for me.

Many thanks.

Edited by ChessieCat
spacing
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Nicky: paroxetine weaning
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nicky and welcome to SA,

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

As you have found going too quickly brings on withdrawal symptoms.  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist  

We recommended that you Keep Notes on Paper so that you can be objective about your withdrawal symptoms.  You can sometimes see improvements which you can't feel.

Please create a drug signature using the following format.  Please make it nice simple by following these instructions NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

It's going to take a few months for you to stabilise after such a quick reduction in your dose.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  It is important that you remain patient and calm and try not to panic.  The brain likes consistency so we urge members not jump up and down with doses.

Once you stabilise you will then be able to taper following SA's guidelines.  It is better to hold for longer and ensure that you are stable than to try and reduce too soon.  If you are unsure about how stable you are, you can always try a small dose reduction, eg 2.5%.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your own introductions topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management