SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Walking: introduction

Walking

Hi, everyone,

I just joined today, after lurking for the last week.

I am coming off a 9-month course of 5mg escitalopram tablets. I probably would have stayed on this medication because I felt it was helping me to cope, but blood work showed slight hypothyroidism and slightly high cholesterol (quite shocking as these #s have been great for many years, since I am a vegan health nut for decades). Also, I experienced constant exhaustion/lack of energy while on this medication - overwhelming and intractable, and often depressing. But the blood results are what made me decide to get rid of this from my body and my life (I have always mistrusted pharmaceuticals of any kind, for a variety of reasons.)

I had a conversation today with my therapist about the hysteria and emotional spirals I have been experiencing, and he kept reassuring me I would be back to myself in a month, or three at the most - likening this to a cold or flu that needs to run its course. I get the analogy but the comparison would be laughable if it were not so downright wrongheaded and dismissive. He was so sure of his assessment from his 20+ years in practice, that it felt flip and a bit egotistical. I finally got it out of him that he has not experienced this himself. I have been on the receiving end of my share of iatrogenic neglect and damage over my life, so to me this is inexcusable. The fact that he was combing his bookshelf during our session for info on this (and was surprised he couldn't find any!), after I'd told him I'd done about 15 hours of research, shows me he was talking out of his "hat."

The one good thing about going through this withdrawal is that I seem to have recovered most of my physical energy and stamina as the dosage decreases. Unfortunately I feel old and feeble somehow (inexplicable in the face of my consistent hardcore gym workouts). 

I am very grateful to the admins and everyone here for this web site, and for everything that folks here have shared and made freely available. I have been voraciously reading in an attempt to (a) convince myself I am not going insane and (b) feel less alone.

3/2018: 10mg/day escalitopram; 10/19/18: blood tests revealed mild hypothyroidism & higher than normal cholesterol, so decided to discontinue by tapering off & reduced to 5mg/day; 11/11/18: reduced to approx. 2.5mg/day (inexact since using pill splitter). Resumed long-discontinued Solgar cal/mag/zinc but the exhaustion came back so will try to cut dosage. Taking a plethora of vits/minerals for many years; wondering whether some of what I'm on is causing the exhaustion that came on 3.5 yrs ago w/broken foot & never left. Discontinued 12/2/18. Each step down. Took 3 weeks to stabilize enough for next stage. A month out from discontinuation, I am symptom free except for occasional cognitive fog, and intermittent muscle soreness. 6 weeks out (1/19/19), feeling pretty good, a bit active bowel still and gym stamina back to 80% pre-medication levels.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Walking: Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Walking and welcome to SA,

To get you started and so we can offer suggestions about your own situation, please create a drug signature using the following format.  Please make it nice simple by following these instructions NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

This is your own introductions topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks, ChessieCat!

I created a signature, I hope it's detailed enough.

3/2018: 10mg/day escalitopram; 10/19/18: blood tests revealed mild hypothyroidism & higher than normal cholesterol, so decided to discontinue by tapering off & reduced to 5mg/day; 11/11/18: reduced to approx. 2.5mg/day (inexact since using pill splitter). Resumed long-discontinued Solgar cal/mag/zinc but the exhaustion came back so will try to cut dosage. Taking a plethora of vits/minerals for many years; wondering whether some of what I'm on is causing the exhaustion that came on 3.5 yrs ago w/broken foot & never left. Discontinued 12/2/18. Each step down. Took 3 weeks to stabilize enough for next stage. A month out from discontinuation, I am symptom free except for occasional cognitive fog, and intermittent muscle soreness. 6 weeks out (1/19/19), feeling pretty good, a bit active bowel still and gym stamina back to 80% pre-medication levels.

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

hi Walking, how are you doing?

are you still tapering?

Hope this finds you well!!

:) 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Happy,

Thanks for the shout out! Sorry for the delayed response.

I finished tapering about 6 weeks ago, and am really bouncing back, mind, body, spirit. It's amazing, almost like it never happened.

Things still good on your end?

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Walking!

Congratulations! 

I had to stop over to find out more about my fellow EFT(tapper) user.  Thank you for your comment in that thread.

Can  you tell us a bit more about your tapering technique?

Did you have any previous history of usage of AD's or other psychoactive medications?

Any lingering hypothyroid symptoms?  Or labwork since your arrival here?

The reason I ask is part of the mission of survivingantidepressants.org is the hope to educate the medical establishment, with our case studies.  So I'd thought I would throw out a few more questions for you today.  And it looks like you have been one of our more self study of information members, who hasn't asked for a lot of help or support.  So I also just wanted to say hi and congrats too, of course.

With our documentation of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, we hope to educate the medical establishment about this problem. Case studies are essential; they are evidence understood by doctors, the psychiatric industry, and government regulatory agencies.

Our hope is, eventually, antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs will be prescribed rarely, and only in cases of extremely severe mental illness after less invasive treatments have been tried.

(taken from AboutSurvivingAntidepressants.org)

So glad you are doing well.  And please don't hesitate to ask for help from moderators or other members if you feel like you hit a tough spot.  Fingers crossed that you don't!!!!

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• ChessieCat changed the title to Walking: introduction

Hi. Manymoretodays, thanks for stopping by!

And thanks so much for being such an advocate; there's a bunch of great activism and news at the Let's Talk Withdrawal Podcast, and 'Drop the disorder!'....  Facebook groups.

As to your questions, here goes:

Can  you tell us a bit more about your tapering technique?

I tapered off in several 3-week stepdowns. I could not deal with all the extra time and work and cost of the liquid, so I kept on splitting/cutting the pills by 1/2.  

Did you have any previous history of usage of AD's or other psychoactive medications?

Not Rx - this was my first - although I've used several homeopathic and herbal remedies for years.

Any lingering hypothyroid symptoms?  Or labwork since your arrival here?

Yes, I had full labs done a month ago. The hypothyroidism is reduced, but not gone. And I am NOT going to take that @#&*%_#*%  medication! So in 6 months I will get retested. And cholesterol is back to where it needs to be; I eat a very healthy, balanced vegan diet and work out ALOT, so that of course helps.

I recently heard of an amino acid, L-Carnosine (NOT L-Carnitine!), which I started a few months ago, and that has helped with the tiredness, mostly.

Another note: I have been doing intensive psychotherapy and have hit a really rough patch - midlife-crisis type stuff. So started 200mg SAMe 2x/day to level out. I'm thinking of stopping in a few days when I run out, since I feel better.

Thank you so much for your kind wishes and reminding me to reach out if needed! I really appreciate it.

I wish you - and everyone here - the fastest, simplest healing possible.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Walking,  Sam-e should be tapered just like other neuroactives.  Just use your search engine.  We've got a topic on it.  Survivingantidepressants.org Sam-e.  Good on the rest!  L, P, H, and G,  mmt  Please add your end date of Lexapro to your signature as well.  Use the link Ccat gave you to do that.  Thanks.  Posting from my ancient droid so Idk if you did or did not update your signature.  This is my favorite W/D group.  And I'm partial to it.  May or may not explore your recommends.  Trying for less not more online time at this time. :-)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks for the recommendation about the SAMe. After only a week on, I believe I am OK to stop. I've started and stopped before w/no problems.

Did some extra tapping this morning (and Logosynthesis - another of my energy psych go-tos) to compensate for everything in my life, psyche and body that might be troubling me.

I hear ya about limiting screen time!

Take care, and thanks again!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Walking,

Okay.  Good to know it was only a week long try of SAMe.  I'm going to trust your judgement too here.  So far you have intuited well as far as what you needed to do for yourself.  Good job Walking.

And then your total time on escitalopram was only 9 months too!

The only 2 supplements that we endorse here are omega 3's/fish oil and magnesium.  This is because so many have sensitized or really sensitive nervous systems in WD.

I'm guessing that you have looked around the site a bit on your own too.

Of course you didn't really taper according to our usual protocols but.........listened to your body, and went with it.

It's possible you may hit some WD symptoms up the road , that sometimes happens.  You might do well though, now......to continue with positive thinking and perhaps due to your short history with it, the escitalopram, you'll fare well.  I am rooting for that!  You are faring well!!!!  Yay!

I'm not going to load you up with bunches of links to further information here now.  If you need more assistance later though.......please return and ask or seek.......and you shall find it.  Okay? 

My history with the meds. is so very lengthy and different.  And I'm just pumped that you are doing well now some 3 months out. 

Keep us updated too!  Right here is great......on your introduction page. 

And oh yes......I know what you mean about the midlife crisis thing.  I'm 61 now.......and over 2 years out from my last med/drug and with a pretty extensive history with the system of "mental illness" care as I call it.   And manymany meds/drugs.   Doing okay again, after several months of prolonged or protracted WD syndrome........bouncing back.  AND dealing with a lot of the same.........just acceptance of this whole aging thing.  I'm more likely to be classed with the "geriatric" set now too.........which just freaks me out, as I feel inside like a 40 year old........I did not have the chance to have a midlife crisis then, at 40 or 50......as I WAS SO MEDICATED.  :rolleyes:B)

Okie doke.  Oh, I consider myself an advocate.  If I activate I get too stressed out!!!!  Kind of  a consequence of years of those darn psychotrophics!  Good stress, bad stress......it can stress me.  My autonomic nervous system is a bit off still.   I'm trying really hard to neutralize my system though, with meditation type stuff and gentle exercise, nature, and all the non drug coping that I can now.

Here's our non drug coping section, Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms,  in case you run into some additional enhanced emotional stuff during this early WD period.  There's a whole indexed list of different things to explore and try in the first post there.

Oh.......all my best Walking.  You are doing great it seems, from your reports!  Very encouraging.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Thanks again, Manymoretodays, for all of your support, encouragement, and all the links and info.

I feel really seen/heard/supported, and I appreciate that more than you can imagine!

With sincere gratitude,

Walking