Laurie5272: Info needed on the healing process

Laurie5272

I have been off of Paxil completely for 3 months now after 13 years. Where do I get more info on the healing process. I am depressed, moody, impatient, tearful and having difficulty working due to the stress in my job. Will normal ever come back? I am so tempted to go back on drugs but after having 4 month terrible months of withdrawal I hate to go backwards. Any words of advice or sites for more info.... I had no idea that after 2 months of being drug free that I would still struggle so much emotionally 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Laurie5272: Info needed on the healing process
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Laurie5272, and welcome aboard,

I'll give you some links to information that we have, that might help your understanding a bit of what may be going on now.

How did you come off of your Paxil?

We also need you to create a signature for us:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

This is the portion that you will now see below other members post, unless viewing from a phone device.  However, you can still create a signature from a phone device.  This helps us to see, at a glance, your present situation.

Yes, normal will come back.  The healing process can be variable depending on a lot of different factors.

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.

Brain Remodelling

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.  

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

I know that's a ton of stuff to look at.  Take a look at some of the links, and often the most pertinent information is contained in the first post.  I hope I haven't overwhelmed you.  I don't personally, know of any other sites, that just talk about healing post A/D's.

I'll include this essay as well: 

Are We There Yet? ;How long is withdrawal going to take?

^ you'll find an index in the first post to different sections that address healing from A/D's

On the main page of this forum you'll also see a Success Stories section, as well as a Symptom and Self Care section that you might be interested in.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.  As well as communicate with other members and moderators.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, Laurie5272 said:

Will normal ever come back? I am so tempted to go back on drugs but after having 4 month terrible months of withdrawal I hate to go backwards.

Hi again L5272,

You might even find a new normal at some point that works for you too.  Do take a look at the reinstatement link above and see what you think.

You'll find we suggest reinstatement's that are no where near the doses that you had once been prescribed.  

Did symptoms just worsen now......4 months out?  Or has the stress just worsened......I know holidays can bring on stress for many, and perhaps your work stress also increases during the holidays?  I suspect you are having plenty of W/D(withdrawal) symptoms as well, after 13 years on the Paxil.

I'm also posting to bump on up your thread a bit too.  It seems to have stayed in the que(line up) of postings from last Wednesday.  I think it had something to do with the order of me approving your post, and then when I entered my reply as well.  So this should bump you back up to today, Sunday, 25th of November.

:wub:

Best,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing