TedB

TedB: Am I dumb or what?

TedB

Hi, I was on 50mg of sertraline for 4 mths. I'm 53 years old and consider myself pretty intelligent. I allowed a Dr to let me think the medicine would help me be able to cope 

on some UPCOMING things that I shared with her...that my life was pretty overwhelming. I have an 88yr old Mother that lives with me, she had had a recent stroke and just her

years of life coming to a close and needing to deal with that....my last child of 5 was going to be going away to college so I was GONNA be an empty nester.....my daughter that has my grandchildren was GONNA be moving further and I was loving them being 7 miles away. ALLLL of those things were coming in the future - NOTHING had happened and she put me on it as a precaution. Im still soooo mad that I took it.

SOOO...4 mths on, I had nasal congestion the whole time, no sex drive & my sleep was messed up. The 1st mth I felt so beyond WEIRD on it. Very disconnected and kinda floating feeling. I pretty much cold-turkey'd off of the 50mg. I was ok for the 1st 10 days. Then the VERY DAY we moved our son in to his dorm...my life stopped as I knew it. I had crazy dizziness, TOTAL exhaustion feeling, just barely could put 1 foot in front of the other. Slept for days that 1st week or 10 days. My brain just felt weird - I just really dont know how to explain it. I had a few brain zaps but mine came with fast motion of my head sideways or up and down - so i did NOT do that. I could move my eyes sideways or look up...it was awful. In the night i couldnt turn over much because it would send me into vertigo spin.

NOW...all of that mostly has gone - I'm 3 mths into WD! But the dizziness hasnt left. It's not like the beginning where I couldnt walk anywhere straight - I ran into everything. But my head just feels weird. I'll go shopping (never by myself because I don't think I can drive) and I will feel good -- but then the next time I'll feel floaty the whole time...

My question that I asked -- am I dumb... I've had some xanax that when I have to do something important I take 1 and I don't even know if it helps but I'm desperate to feel normal... Is the Xanax starting some of my WD all over again or making me hold on to the dizziness. In 3 mths I've probably take 8 & they are low dose (not sure what mg) -- but am I shooting myself in the foot?? I've also had some numbness around my lip, nose, eye - that's hung on and my tongue is slightly numb and burns some. I think alot of that is anxiety. Anyways - I appreciate anyones thoughts. Im soooo beyond grateful my WD havent been mental - all physical. I just found SA and Im gonna be praying for you all. Took sertraline for 4 mths and i'm beginning my 4th month of this WD junk. Blessings to you all!!

Edited by Altostrata
added line breaks

Altostrata

Welcome, Ted.

It sounds like you had a mild adverse reaction to sertraline from the start, then you had some acute withdrawal symptoms, which indicate your nervous system had adapted to the drug.

Your nervous system is still unwinding from the influence of the drug. Fortunately, it sounds like the worst has passed and you're slowly recovering. This may take some months.

However, your upset nervous system might have become sensitized to drugs and even some supplements and foods. If I were you, I'd stay away from Xanax, quite often it causes more problems, such as rebound anxiety or sleeplessness. Avoid alcohol as well.

For the time being, you might use Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms to manage your very understandable worry about your symptoms.

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

How's your sleep?

TedB

Thank you for your input. I indeed put the Xanax away...it goes to show you we'll do anything to feel "normal". My sleep is so good now! I slept so much in the beginning and then a switch flipped and I had insomnia - which I'm well acquainted with because of my menopause days... But then a switch flipped and my sleep is really good. I mean...5-6hrs is all I get but that's been for YEARS! I take a blood pressure pill and that makes me sleepy, mid morning, so I have the privilege of being able to nap - so i DO!

I've heard if benadryl can help with dizziness - is that wrong? I've taken that kinda like i did the Xanax...trying anything when I just gotta feel normal. But I certainly don't want to do that if it's hurting me. 

This site is awesome - WOW, so much info!

Altostrata

What other drugs are you taking? If more than one, please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

The blood pressure pill may be causing your dizziness. When was the last time you had your blood pressure checked? You might not need the drug any more, or you might do fine with a lower dosage.

TedB

Alto,

I just take a blood pressure medicine and it does keep it good - I ck it and it doesnt go too low. A side effect to the bp medicine is dizziness - could it be that I'm now sensitive to that medicine too and it's my problem? Hmmm....it's a mystery! I know not to stop taking it. 

And I have not known about that Drug Interaction Checker - that's awesome. Thank you!

TedB

LOVELY...yeah, not gonna take those anymore...

TedB

I'm not sure where to go with a question so I thought I'd come back here...where I started. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I had some pretty yucky withdrawals right off. Next week will be 4 very lonnnng months since the withdrawals started. I feel like some things like the dizziness have gotten so much better but just this week I have very mild numbness on my right side. Nothing like, I can't feel my limbs - but as I run my hand over my leg, it feels the weird feeling. No pain or even tingling. My forearm feels cold is really the most annoying. The last 2 days I can't shake being very weepy. I don't know if its the sadness from just life stuff - watching Pres. Bush's funeral - knowing that Christmas is soooo soon and I have all 5 of my kids coming and my AMAZING 4 grandkids - and I just have NO idea how I'll feel while they are here. 1 daughter is coming home from Israel for the holidays. I think the stress of "things coming up and the unknown" - it really effects me. My brain has had moments the last few days that it has felt OFF - that buzzing feeling that was here in the beginning.  My question - is this all normal? Am I gonna be ok? I need reassurance that this is all withdrawals. I ready about acceptance the other day and I can do that, knowing I have a husband that will wait on me hand and foot, I don't have a job and I have faith in a healing God that is my ONLY hope at this point.  I want to be a blessing to people, even on here, I want to tell people that they will get through this...and the last few days...I'm feeling weary. The very last thing I want to do is worry my 5 children that something is wrong with Mom and she'll never be the same again. So if anyone can give me some encouragement - I swear I'll pay it forward 1 day.  I was taking B-12 and I stopped because I was writing down times and I feel like I felt weird after that. Other than that - fish oil, vitamin E and very little magnesium. And then my daily blood pressure medicine. I'm soooo frightened to even take ibuprofen...is it ok to take that if i need it?  I appreciate all you moderators soooo much! What a godsend this forum is... Thank you!!

SkyBlue

TedB, you will be okay again. I know it probably doesn't seem like it! But you absolutely will be okay again.

Wow, my heart goes out to you that you're experiencing this after taking Sertraline for such a short time.

It should be okay to take ibuprofen if needed. Of course, monitor how you feel after taking it, but we don't often hear of problems with ibuprofen. I know wd makes us so scared to take any medicine at all. 

I promise, promise you that you will heal from this. 

TedB

Thank you SkyBlue -- I think I have working against me that I ignorantly just went off of 50mg of Zoloft, COLD TURKEY!! Dear God, if I had it to do over again...I would! 

TedB

I've had a couple of bad days...I think this is what y'all call a wave? Starting mth 4 of wd and thought I was getting better. Today I had 2 brain zaps. Haven't had those since the beginning. I looked at my calendar and I had to take prednisone and amoxcillian for an ear issue - didn't know then what I know now. I've been off of it 10 days but about day 7 of being off the steroid these new wd started (some numbness on my right side) and just an overall weird feeling again in my head. And then today the zaps!! Is this a wave? Did i do it to myself? I'd love some input because I truly thought since I was on the 50 mg Zoloft for 4 mths...that all this would be gone at 4 mths...pretty silly of me I'm now seeing. Not sure if the anxiety is coming from just having new symptoms and was so wishing it was close to ending or if the anxiety is from wd... Still hanging tough...I'm a tough lady that refuses to lay down and let this crap win!! I did spend the evening researching how to reinstate... (i got weak for a sec.) I appreciate this site so much and if theres anyway to give to support the people that take time to help - point me the way!! And if i was RICH I'd take us all on a shopping spree... : )