DaisyBell

Tips for tapering Promethazine (Phenergan)

DaisyBell

Does anyone have ideas on a tapering schedule for those that have been using Phenergan more than 6 months. It comes in 10 and 25 mg oral tablets. It has moderate anticholinegic effects and is a mild dopamine antagonist alongside strong H1 histamine action. Given that I assume tapering is important.

ChessieCat

I think Phenergan is available as a liquid.  That might be the easiest way to get doses.

DaisyBell
47 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I think Phenergan is available as a liquid.  That might be the easiest way to get doses.

Thanks ChessieCat. Wondering what time schedule e.g 25 % drop every week ok? Also read that liquid is absorbed more so may be best to stay with tablets. 

Altostrata

@DaisyBell How often are you taking promethazine? It's basically an antihistamine. Are you taking it for sleep?

https://www.drugs.com/monograph/promethazine-hydrochloride.html

Duration

Duration of sedative effects usually about 2–8 hours117 133 a b (depending on the dose and route of administration);a b effects may persist for 12 hours.100 117 133

Half-life

9–16 hours (following IV use) and about 9.8 hours (following IM use).117

If you're only taking it only once a day, it doesn't need much tapering. You might reduced it by 25% every few days.

In the US, it comes in a liquid form.

DaisyBell
31 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

@DaisyBell How often are you taking promethazine? It's basically an antihistamine. Are you taking it for sleep?

https://www.drugs.com/monograph/promethazine-hydrochloride.html

If you're only taking it only once a day, it doesn't need much tapering. You might reduced it by 25% every few days.

In the US, it comes in a liquid form.

Thank you so much. I've taken 25 mg nearly per day for between 6-12 months. I stopped C T a few days ago and then two days later started crying at everything.

DaisyBell

And yes for sleep 😴 

Altostrata

Did your sleep pattern change after you stopped it?

Songbird

Promethazine is a phenothiazine drug,  closely related to other meds used as anti-psychotics, so I would be inclined to be cautious with tapering speed.  You may be able to buy it as a liquid.

DaisyBell

Yes I started to wake at 3am on second day after CT. I also take melatonin 1mg. I need to stop it for longer to see if there's a profound effect on my sleep patterns. 

I can only buy tablets. Which is fine.

Just need to know tapering schedule for safe withdrawal given its properties beyond its histamine action. Searched the internet without finding anything about a tapering schedule. I also searched for a taper schedule for Benadryl (thinking it could be similar) and found nothing. 

Songbird

I would taper by how my body feels, rather than a strict timetable.  Try a reduced dose for a few days, maybe a 25% drop as Alto suggested, and see how it goes.  If you do have symptoms from the drop, you can hold until they ease off.  I've tapered off quite a few things this way.  You can buy Phenergan elixir in New Zealand - if you can't get it in your local pharmacy, it is available from online pharmacies (e.g. Netpharmacy).

DaisyBell

Thank you Alto, Songbird and Chessie cat.  

Songbird

Keep us updated, DaisyBell.