PatJen: Extra pyramidal side effects and sexual dysfunction related to SSRIs and SNRIs

PatJen

Just wondering if anyone else is troubled by the above ? I find little is mentioned re mandibular dystonia (jaw clenching) or bruxism (teeth grinding) associated with the use of SSRI and SNRI drugs...have been taking Effexor 75mg's for 16 years and yet again am trying to taper off it...these symptoms appear to have worsened with the tapering and I find them distressing...and they seem to occur for most of the day and most probably the night when I sleep...(judging by how I feel on waking with jaw pain and neck pain)....I find dentists seem to be more aware of this issue than the medical practitioners prescribing these drugs, sadly....Also my libido went straight out of the window with my Effexor ingestion many many years ago...along with the development of anorgasmia...just as well I have a very patient and understanding husband...Can anyone tell me if these afflictions are permanent once off these drugs for a while or are they permanent ?....any info welcome...interesting to note that those prescribed anti psychotic med's frequently have an exacerbation of their extra pyramidal symptoms when they are taken off these drugs... thanks for listening 🙂 Oh...and may I add the issues many have with hypertension/elevated cholesterol levels/ and cardiac arrhythmias...I am on med's for hypertension and inappropriate sinus tachycardia...each time I have mentioned the possible association with the ingestion of Effexor to cardiologists and physicians...it is apparent they are totally unaware and look at me as if I am from another planet for suggesting the correlation.

• ChessieCat changed the title to PatJen: Extra pyramidal side effects and sexual dysfunction related to SSRIs and SNRIs
  • Administrator

Welcome, PatJen.

We're well aware of these symptoms. Many people, perhaps most, suffer sexual dysfunction from antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs. This is well known by the medical profession and of great distress to many members here.

We have quite a bit of discussion about iatrogenic jaw symptoms, bruxism, and muscle tension in our Symptoms and Self-Care forum, such as

Face, jaw, tongue muscle tension and pain

Tension, pain, twitches, excruciating spasms in muscles and joints

On 11/26/2018 at 1:04 AM, PatJen said:

Oh...and may I add the issues many have with hypertension/elevated cholesterol levels/ and cardiac arrhythmias...I am on med's for hypertension and inappropriate sinus tachycardia...each time I have mentioned the possible association with the ingestion of Effexor to cardiologists and physicians...it is apparent they are totally unaware and look at me as if I am from another planet for suggesting the correlation.

These adverse effects of psychiatric drugs are also well known. There are many reasons why doctors are in denial about them, liability being one. Also, they have a religious belief in the drugs, which was fostered by decades of pharmaceutical company propaganda.

When you go off the drug, you should find some of these symptoms are relieved -- though it may take many months.

How are you tapering Effexor? Are you taking any other drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.