SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SurvivingInToronto: citalopram withdrawal - psychiatrist seems out of touch

SurvivingInToronto

Hi, I'm new here.

i'll be heading back to see my therapist soon.  I'm concerned that she seems unknowledgeable about withdrawal.  

My taper was from 20 mg citalopram, by 5 mg increments per week.  This is after about 25 years on various antidepressants.  Having a pretty hard crash after about a month of no meds.  Headaches, walking / lurching weirdly, dizziness even while seated, crying.  As soon as I said the word "crying"  I think she wanted to put me back on the meds.

i've been feeling more alert than I have in a long time.  Wanting more energy was the original reason for the attempt to switch from Cipralex to Wellbutrin.  Super difficult withdrawal from the beginning, originally thought Wellbutrin was problem.  We stopped the Wellbutrin several weeks in.  Now realizing it was probably the Cipralex all along.

how do I have faith in my therapist when she failed to alert me to possible withdrawal symptoms, and doesn't seem to think I could be still experiencing withdrawal 5 weeks after getting to 0 mg's?  Thanks for any advice...

1992          - 2014                           - various ADs, various doses, various effects 

August 2014 - 0ctober  7, 2018  - 20 mg Cipralex - tired of feeling tired

October 8 - October 14                - 15 mg Cipralex + 150 mg Wellbutrin - a little shaky 

October 15 -  October 21             - 10 mg Cipralex + 150 mg Wellbutrin - more shaky

October 22 - October 28              -   5 mg Cipralex.  Wellbutrin abandoned - quite shaky

October 29 - November 29          -    Zero. Zip. Nada.  - headachy, nauseous, dizziness 

November 30 - December 8        -   ~1.25 mg Cipralex reinstated  - alt days of: dizzy,

headachy,  nauseous, super irritated, insomnia, hyper

December 9 - March 18                -   ~2.5 mg Cipralex - headchy, nauseous, ‘wired’ feeling,

at beginning, more stable emotionally in March

March 19 - present.                       - switch to liquid 2.3 mg  Cipralex.  early stages yet but

a little anxious & adjusting.  intend .2mg drop / month

• ChessieCat changed the title to SurvivingInToronto: citalopram withdrawal - psychiatrist seems out of touch
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Surviving, welcome to SA.  Please can you clarify if you tapered from citalopram or Cipralex (escitalopram)?  I thought only doctors could prescribe - can therapists prescribe meds in Canada?  Sad to say many doctors and other health professionals seem to be pretty clueless about AD withdrawal.  I'm afraid a taper of 5mg per week is scarcely better than a cold turkey, it isn't surprising you were hit with bad withdrawal symptoms. 

To help us to help you, please can you create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings

It is possible that reinstating a small dose might help to alleviate symptoms to some degree.  When reinstating it's usually best to start with a tiny dose to begin with, to make it easier for your system to adjust and reduce the risk of an adverse reaction.   Before making any decision about reinstating, please read this topic thoroughly, especially the top post: about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thank you Songbird.  I found an interesting article in the New York Times that stated a majority of AD users have difficulty getting off the meds.  Without online information, I would have presumed that something super weird or unusual is going on with me.  My therapist is a doctor and a professor at a local university.  So one would assume she'd be fairly knowledgeable and up to date.  After our recent session, I think she considers me a very (chemically) sensitive person, a rare case.

I have reinstated 1.25 mg of Cipralex as of 5 days ago.  I think I started to feel better except dismayed to feel tonight that I am "floating" when I walk.  By  'floating' I mean that I feel very light headed, uncertain of my step, and as if I am lurching like I've had too much to drink.  Almost comical.  

Should i give it more time, or should I updose to 2.5mg?  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks    :D

1992          - 2014                           - various ADs, various doses, various effects 

October 8 - October 14                - 15 mg Cipralex + 150 mg Wellbutrin - a little shaky 

October 15 -  October 21             - 10 mg Cipralex + 150 mg Wellbutrin - more shaky

October 22 - October 28              -   5 mg Cipralex.  Wellbutrin abandoned - quite shaky

October 29 - November 29          -    Zero. Zip. Nada.  - headachy, nauseous, dizziness 

November 30 - December 8        -   ~1.25 mg Cipralex reinstated  - alt days of: dizzy,

December 9 - March 18                -   ~2.5 mg Cipralex - headchy, nauseous, ‘wired’ feeling,

March 19 - present.                       - switch to liquid 2.3 mg  Cipralex.  early stages yet but

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SurvivinginToronto and welcome from me too,

When I was talking with my doctor & the trainee who was sitting in with him I made that comment that I realise that most people can probably get off their AD without much problem.  Thankfully I was looking at him as he responded.  He was shaking his head and quietly said:  "Not many".

The fact that you have felt improvement since reinstating is a really good sign.  The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  It's generally a good idea to give it 1-2 weeks if you have already seen improvement and are feeling reasonable before you consider updosing.  However, you reduced from 20mg to 5mg during October and then were off during November.  If the withdrawal symptoms you are experiencing now are the same as you did before you stopped taking Cipralex then you might be better to increase sooner.

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  ChessieCat 😺😺😺

thank you you for your advice.  I did in fact, go up to 2.5 mg a week ago and hope to maintain for a few weeks.  Not symptom free but bearable so far. 

I’ve found a compounding pharmacy who can make the liquid for me.  So hopefully I can start the taper next year.  I will look into the non-medication coping techniques as feeling more emotionally needy than when I had 20mg  dose.  Lol 

Thank you for the support I’ve found here; not very many emotionally sensitive / available people in my life right now.  

• Moderator Emeritus

That's all good news.  Please continue to let us know how you are going.

If you are going to change to liquid it is best to do a cross over by taking the 3/4 tablet dose + 1/4 liquid dose for about 3 days (or 1 week if you want to) 1/2 and 1/2 for 3 days and then 1/4 + 3/4 for 3 days.  This is much gentler on your nervous system than swapping straight over.  Remember to keep notes.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 1 month later...

Hi.  sorry for long absence.  have been trying to deal with a variety of symptoms; serious nausea, hyper feeling, neuro emotions (before i even read up on that in the website).  Lol.  I’m a bit of a hypochondriac but this has been way too real.  Not sure how to manage recovery and working full time;  stressed and worried about lots of things; my health, mom being diagnosed with mild dementia, cat having health issues, lack of progress in home repairs.  So lots to deal with, and less emotional resources at my call than usual...

I am lucky to have a handful of good friends, but i’m afraid of using up too much good will.  ...  i’ve had a couple of super emotional days, that were extremely difficult to get through... funny, while on meds i was fatter, more mellow, more relaxed.  Now, i care too much; cleaning more than i have in years, waking up earlier, often stressed.

I appreciate the heads up about transitioning to liquid.  All advice is welcome.  Please tell me it gets easier.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's some information which might help you to understand what is happening:

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

Withdrawal Normal Description

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

• Moderator Emeritus

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through discomfort and tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Thank you ChessieCat for pointing me in the right direction, and i will definitely check out each link.  i appreciate that you took the time to do this.  it’s very kind.

some days understanding the reasons will provide much needed reassurance.  but lately the emotional days have been ganging up on me.  ok, “acknowledge - accept - float” and “simple - slow - steady” and patience with this process...  i guess i just have to accept this will take as long as it takes... i don’t remember feeling this awful before the ADs... 

and still have a fair bit of tapering to do. now at 2.5 mg and planning to start 0.1 mg/ month taper at beginning of March.  we all seem to get impatient to move on to a better moments in our lives... understandably so.

Thanks Chessie.  😺😺😺.  SA has been an invaluable resource

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a frustrating journey.  When we are taking a higher dose it seems like it will never end and we think that at the lower doses it will go quicker, but it doesn't.  We have to remind ourselves that it isn't us that needs the drug it's our brain than needs it.  We can't make it adapt quicker than it is going to.  And it's better to look at how far we have reduced, not how much more we have to go.

I think we also get weary with battle fatigue and get to the point we wish it was over.  And part of us probably is also wondering what it will be like when we are finally off the drug.  Especially when we have been on them for so long.  We've both been on them for about a quarter of a century.  That in itself is a scary thought.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi SurvivingInToronto, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thanks Carmie for reaching out.  I followed Chessiecat’s suggestions for switching from pills to liquids.  So much appreciation for her guidance.  👍

Am having significant nausea which I had attributed to a course of antibiotics but come to think 🤔 of it, is more likely from the Cipralex.  lol .  Any advice is sincerely appreciated!!  thanks again

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SurvivingInToronto, 

How is your nausea now?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi Carmie,

thanks for asking.  right now it’s hard to tell;  i have a cold that might be masking / hiding it. lol

Have you had to deal with nausea in your own experiences?  i had it pretty bad October to January.when my dosage was drastically cut from 20 mg to 0mg (see signature) and later reinstated  to 2.5mg.   Now going 2.5 to 2.3,  and hoping to avoid unnecessary symptoms.  

if it’s alright i will check back in with you in a few days when i feel better.  Thanks Carmie!  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SurvingInToronto, 

Hope you’re coping okay. I haven’t had nausea on the Seroquel as yet, but when I came off another medication ( can’t remember what it was as I’ve been on so many) I had nausea for months. It did eventually go away though.

So you’ve been doing a crossover to the liquid. I did a crossover from water titrating my compounded formula to water titrating my original tablet again. Once I was totally on the original tablet again I gave it another month before I started tapering again. I wanted to make sure my brain was stable enough before tapering again, even though the symptoms weren’t too bad. 

I learnt the hard way in the past when I changed from the tablet to the compounding formula without a crossover and went through three months of waves. 

Have you already made the next drop? It’s best to stabilise before making any other changes. 

Yes, it’s fine to check in with me whenever you like. Just tag me, put an @ in front of my name. A little blue box will come down, just press on that. 

Sending hugs🤗

• 3 months later...

Hi,

i have been slowly tapering down to 1.4 mg of liquid Cipralex now.  Lately i’ve been feeling like I might have ADD/ADHD;  trouble focusing, impatience, inability to relax.  Or might these issues be related to my brain adjusting to less meds in my system?  I would very much like to try medication to see if it helps with my anxiety.  I’m told that is the ultimate test of whether this really is ADD/ADHD.  I’m also a little leery of medications in general now, and not wanting to jeopardize my new job.  Has anyone else experienced similar concerns?....  any advice greatly appreciated.  thanks!