SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mdwstrx: Lexapro / escitalopram taper or not?

mdwstrx

Hi Chessie. How is your taper coming along?

in my case, I awake every morning with the hot flash. It’s not horrible but definitely won’t miss when it goes away. 🙄

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

• Moderator Emeritus

Getting lower and lower now.  It's quite exciting, but I still have a couple of years to go.  Every now and then I get impatient and think about stopping, but as I said to my compounding pharmacist, I've put 3.5 years into it so far so it would be silly to mess it up trying to go faster now.  I'll be reducing to 2.5mg at the end of this week.  That's a massive reduction from 100mg.  Still have to keep telling myself that my brain needs the small amount of drug that it is getting.

I'm really finding being a member here helps with staying patient.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Wow - congratulations on getting so low, @ChessieCat....that is quite an accomplishment!!  Oops - sorry mdwstrx....I just realized this is your thread and not CC's. 

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

@ChessieCat This is great news!! Very happy for you that things are progressing so successfully!  Yes, even though we want off this stuff, patience is key.  

I contemplated a slight reduction this morning but will wait for moderators to give me the thumbs up until I comfortably understand what my wd normal is.

@wantrelief No worries, congrats are always welcome here!  Even if for someone else...lol. 

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

On 6/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, apace41 said:

So, if you were to stabilize as we hope you are, when you do cut, perhaps 2-3 weeks from now, I'd take your most recent slide approach and reduce it by a slight amount to hopefully avoid the recent symptoms you have suffered.

Best,

Andy

This morning, I decided to try a slight reduction from 5.5 to 5.35 mg or 2.7%.

Remaining symptoms seem to be daily hot flushes.  But I'm also 58.

Thoughts from the mods would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Thank you.

I think you have seen enough stabilization that making a small cut like this is not a bad idea.  Keep a close eye on things for the next several days and if you see a big rise in symptoms you can go back to where you were.  I think this will be fine.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

52 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Thank you.

Wishing you nothing but good thoughts on your taper.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

@apace41  Thank Andy, for weighing in and your support.  If this works, not sure where to go from here.  To continue to cut 3 more weeks at 2.5% would be the 10% cut that got me into trouble in May.  I'm thinking of holding here for a week and checking back in for advice.

@Frogie  Hi Frogie!  Thanks you too for your good thoughts. 

I saw you were having a bit of anxiety but that the mods believe it will resolve quickly.  Praying that it does for you.  🙏   

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Thanks for your message. Wave is manageable but yeah still not pleasant but is what it is. Definitely get better though it just takes so long but one step at a time until I reach the top.

Good decision on doing such a small reduction. Best to wait a few weeks afterwards to see how you react then go from there and then to be safe once in a while give yourself a good longer hold to really let things settle before carrying on as the lower doses can be lot harder.

Good luck!

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

On 7/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, mdwstrx said:

@apace41  Thank Andy, for weighing in and your support.  If this works, not sure where to go from here.  To continue to cut 3 more weeks at 2.5% would be the 10% cut that got me into trouble in May.  I'm thinking of holding here for a week and checking back in for advice.

@Frogie  Hi Frogie!  Thanks you too for your good thoughts. 

I saw you were having a bit of anxiety but that the mods believe it will resolve quickly.  Praying that it does for you.  🙏   

I’m feeling much better. I think most of it is situational, moving and all.

I’m glad to see you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Day 3 of 2.7% reduction from 5.5 to 5.35 mg.  

Woke earlier than normal but all in all, had a good night's rest.  Feeling some light wd symptoms today.

Most notably, neuraligia and buzziness with a bit of a waver in mood.  Noticeable but slight so far.  Praying it gets no worse.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• ChessieCat changed the title to mdwstrx: Lexapro / escitalopram taper or not?

Hello.  Seeking mod opinion.

• My last full month of a taper was May.  I reduced as follows:

5/1/2019

3.28%

5/8/2019

2.54%

5/15/2019

2.61%

5/24/2019

1.79% 

• Total monthly reduction was 10.22%
  • On the 3rd cut, I held a few extra days due to sx.  The 4th cut required an 8 week hold after I experienced a mini crash of sorts.
  • July 19th, I resumed a 2.7% reduction - 7 days ago.  If I were resuming a weekly BM slide taper, tomorrow would be my day to reduce.
  • I am nervous about making the next cut.  I have yet to establish a comfortable wd normal so I don't know when to cut next or how much.

I would be grateful for an opinion from the mods or Alto.  

Thank you.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus

The idea of the BM slide is that if you aren't feeling WDnormal when it comes time to reduce again you hold until you do.

Q:  Is it possible that what you are experiencing is related to the nervousness about making another reduction?

If you are unsure but think you might be okay, you could always make a smaller reduction, eg 1%.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 12/3/2018 at 7:34 PM, mdwstrx said:

Thank you Chessie, for your prompt reply. I was feeling like maybe the amount was too low to be effective but I forget it’s withdraw.  You guys do an invaluable job on this site!  I can’t tell you how comforting it is to reach out and ask a question in the throws of this horrible panic and have someone kindly reassure us. God bless you all. 

I will fine tune signature tomorrow. Replying on phone now. 

Hi! Wondering how you’re feeling these days? I’m on 5 mg of lexapro. My story is up in the intros as well.  I was considering updosing from 5 to 6 or so when I was NOT doing well. But I waited and things got so much better. Would love an update. I’m currently waiting to fully stabilize on 5 mg. A lot of docs don’t know what the hell they are talking about and it’s a very sad truth 

~DS~

On Lexapro 20 mg for 6 years. 

*Tapered down from 20 mg to 10 mg starting Dec 10, 2018 and hit 10 mg around March 13. 

- waited over one month on 10 mg -

*Started my taper from 10 mg around April 15. 

*Reached 5 mg on June 14. 

***** currently using Valium daily (sometimes Xanax as emergency) for panic/anxiety

* Valium 5 mg when start of a panic. Sometimes 10 mg. Started as soon as I started the taper.  

* Xanax when I am in the throws before stabilization of a dose- for emergency, major anxiety. 1 mg.  This could range from every day for one week. Or none at all for 2 months. 

* the Valium however is constant

~~ I am currently trying to stabilize on 5 mg lexapro ~~

On 7/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, ChessieCat said:

Getting lower and lower now.  It's quite exciting, but I still have a couple of years to go.  Every now and then I get impatient and think about stopping, but as I said to my compounding pharmacist, I've put 3.5 years into it so far so it would be silly to mess it up trying to go faster now.  I'll be reducing to 2.5mg at the end of this week.  That's a massive reduction from 100mg.  Still have to keep telling myself that my brain needs the small amount of drug that it is getting.

I'm really finding being a member here helps with staying patient.

Wow congrats! Yes I have same feelings as you. That I just want to be OFF!!!! But I remember that when I did that last time coming to 5 mg - I was PANICKING every day.  I’ll never do that again. Slow slow slow for me from now on 

~DS~

*Tapered down from 20 mg to 10 mg starting Dec 10, 2018 and hit 10 mg around March 13. 

***** currently using Valium daily (sometimes Xanax as emergency) for panic/anxiety

* Valium 5 mg when start of a panic. Sometimes 10 mg. Started as soon as I started the taper.  

* Xanax when I am in the throws before stabilization of a dose- for emergency, major anxiety. 1 mg.  This could range from every day for one week. Or none at all for 2 months. 

On 6/18/2019 at 6:10 PM, mdwstrx said:

Checking in after almost a week from last update.  It's been different.

Some days are better than others.  Having some light insomnia.  Biggest problems is a persuasive feeling of being on the edge of my seat, as if I need something to settle my nervous system; distraction helps.  on a 1 to 5 scale it averages a 2.5 to 3.  Also feeling some despair and depression it seems.  Not happy about empty nest and living alone but I have a ton of things to be grateful for other than that.  I'm also considering downsizing so the issues around that loom larger than they should.  I am trying to re-frame.  Also talking with a counselor and reading what self helps I can to lift the mood.  I exercise frequently but haven't been eating the best (not horrible though). 

I am continuing to hold for another week at least to see if this doesn't clear up a bit. 

Hi!!! Congrats on tapering and doing this. Im right there with you. On 5 mg. Though I went way too fast and am currently stabilizing. Question: you are retired? I realize days I have off I feel the symptoms much more. Days I’m at work and busy I’m doing pretty well.  

It makes A big difference   Is there anything you can do job wise.  If you are retired? To take your mind off of it? For me this makes the biggest difference in symptoms 

it is very mental 

~DS~

@ChessieCat Thanks for responding Chessie.   I decided to take your advice and dropped this morning from 5.35 to 5.3 mg which is a .9 percent decrease.  At least it's headed in the right direction.  We shall see how it goes.

@Danalee13 Hi Danalee!  Thanks for popping over and your encouraging words.  I read your intro topic.  It sounds like you were like me, tapering somewhat randomly before arriving at this website.  I made some big drops coming down from 20 mg to 2.5 mg without too much difficulty.  That's when the dr. said I should just stop.  Not knowing any better, I did.  Reinstated 5 days later when wd hit.  Found this website, updosed to stop wd until stabilizing at 6.5 mg.  Have been using the BM slide since but this time around, it's not so easy dropping.  Crawling down until I get a good handle on what I'm doing now.  I've been on this drug for many years buying into the ''you may need it for life like insulin...' spiel the doctors gave. So yes, I agree with your statement below:

9 hours ago, Danalee13 said:

A lot of docs don’t know what the hell they are talking about and it’s a very sad truth 

Thanks too, for the recommendations about working.  Just for the reasons you mention, I've taken on a PT job for 12 hrs a week (I know, not much but retirement spoils one 😉) so we'll see how it goes.  

In reading through your intro posts, I didn't see much from the mods on your use of benzos, but I only really scanned through. They are drugs with hideous side effects if you become dependent from what I've seen on this site.  Please be very very careful and seek the moderator's input on using them.  The absolute best is to learn and implement the non drug techniques recommended here instead of relying on a benzo.  As noted on the site, learning the techniques serves one well during and after wd.  I can attest to that!  💜

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Hi @mdwstrx!!! So happy you responded as we are going through the same thing. And seemingly on around the same dosage.  I’m so happy you got a PT job! You started it already? Have you noticed a difference if you have? 

In response to your Benzo note. Yes, I am very much aware! About 5 years ago I tapered off of a high dosage of benzos without any trouble. I had not done any for 5 years until I started the lexapro withdrawal. I am very weak in comparison to most on this site. I physically couldn’t do it without the Valium.  So I have succumbed to the fact that I will taper off of the Valium once I am off the lexapro. Which I am okay with.  The difference in withdrawal symptoms of the two is huge. I felt nothing on my previous Benzo taper. But on the lex taper - it feels like the world may end in comparison. 

I know it does make me weak but for me personally. It came down to two decisions. I stay on the lexapro or use benzos and get off. I chose the latter.  Though I am not the happiest about it, I am happy I am coming off the devil lexapro. 

The lexapro made me a different human being. The difference from 20 to 5 mg is astounding. So for me, using the benzos to do it - it is worth it. But I do not suggest it for anybody else on here. This is a personal choice for me and I think other coping skills are much better. I was just unable and unwilling. To be honest. So I don’t have any regrets. 

We are in this together! I got to 5 mg on around June 14 and I FINALLY feel like i am on the up and up. But because I came down so fast from 20 mg, I will be staying on this dose for awhile so my brain can fully recover. 

Today i I woke up feeling like I had a hangover. No anxiety, just feeling like I wasn’t hit by a truck. But I also ate a TON of sugar at 2 AM. Big mistake! I am finally feeling a bit better. But this morning was rough. I am taking it easy today and watching Succession. Side note, if you haven’t seen it - it’s amazing!!!

~DS~

And by *wasnt hit by a truck* I mean WAS hit by a truck. And I didn’t drink!

worst feeling. Also clogged nose when I woke up. Couldn’t breathe. Very odd morning that I haven’t experienced yet in this wave of a taper. Anyone else feel this ever? It has now subsided, thank g-d. I feel good now. Normal, happy, no anxiety.  

Oh another thing - it is odd how it does come in waves. The different symptoms.  Example: first there was panic. All day panic. Which was when I had posted on this site. That ended and changed into tiny anxiety issues which are manageable without extra Benzo dosage. Just my usual dosage of Valium. 

*then there are days of appetite loss. Though I do wake up starving every day. So in morning I try to get most of my calories in. 

And NOW I just started feeling (as of this past Tuesday) the symptom of **** lethargy **** that I can’t seem to kick. Extreme lethargy that I usually do not get. 

I would love some others input on this. Has anybody else experienced this lethargy feeling? 

@PatriciaVP @ChessieCat @pattypan @manymoretodays? Anybody? @Dejavu extreme lethargy that is pretty damn annoying!

~DS~

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, yes, the lethargy. And the sinus issues. Both known WD symptoms and both from which I suffer as well. 

This is the hardest thing many of us will ever have to do. I feel as though, when I finally come through this, I will be bulletproof. I thought I had problems before, but in fact, I didn't know what real problems were until I tried to get off these drugs. If nothing else, I'm grateful for the shift in perspective. 

To call yourself weak is to compare yourself to other people. Everyone's journey is different. In my opinion, no one who can go through benzo and/or AD withdrawal can possibly be characterized as weak, whatever method they choose. That negativity is, at least in part, the drug talking, and it will keep you feeling poorly. Concentrate instead on the positive aspects of yourself. Make a written list if you have to. You need to be your own best friend while you travel through this. It will serve you well both during and after the trip. "Weak" people don't suceed at very much in life. Don't set yourself up for failure. Not only CAN you do this, you ARE doing it. Doesn't sound very weak to me.

2016 - Zoloft 50 mg for klonopin w/d

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

On 7/26/2019 at 2:12 PM, Dejavu said:

Oh, yes, the lethargy. And the sinus issues. Both known WD symptoms and both from which I suffer as well. 

This is the hardest thing many of us will ever have to do. I feel as though, when I finally come through this, I will be bulletproof. I thought I had problems before, but in fact, I didn't know what real problems were until I tried to get off these drugs. If nothing else, I'm grateful for the shift in perspective. 

To call yourself weak is to compare yourself to other people. Everyone's journey is different. In my opinion, no one who can go through benzo and/or AD withdrawal can possibly be characterized as weak, whatever method they choose. That negativity is, at least in part, the drug talking, and it will keep you feeling poorly. Concentrate instead on the positive aspects of yourself. Make a written list if you have to. You need to be your own best friend while you travel through this. It will serve you well both during and after the trip. "Weak" people don't suceed at very much in life. Don't set yourself up for failure. Not only CAN you do this, you ARE doing it. Doesn't sound very weak to me.

@Dejavu that means so much and actually meant so much to read.  And you’re right. You’re so right. I’m so happy I’m doing this. I feel amazing today and so happy that I do. 

Reading those words put a lot into perspective for me and thank you so much. !!!

~DS~

• Moderator Emeritus

Anytime my dear. That's what we're all here for - to support each other through the symptoms, the tapering, the doubts and fears - the whole smash. But we will all get there. Healing happens!

2016 - Zoloft 50 mg for klonopin w/d

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

Update since .9% drop on Friday. 

Only day 2 since drop and have definitely felt some wd.  Thankfully, it's been manageable. Symptoms include increase in hot flushing coming every hour or so. 

Hot flushing woke me a couple of times.  I can feel the inner tingling and a slight bit of neuralgia/headache. 

Yesterday, playing sports, got a strange sensation (like the start of difficult breathing but it never fully manifested). Could have been a reaction to heat. 

So far, the total drop this month on the BM slide has been 3.69%.  I'll continue to hold until Friday to see how it goes and if the mods think I should try another scheduled drop then.

It seems odd to me that before my crash, I was able to drop to 2.5 mg. w/o significant wd. At this rate, I'm discouraged that the taper will take forever but I'm thankful, even so, that I can still decrease a slight bit while managing.  I'm hoping, with mod help, to get to a routine level of reduction and then stay the course.  As it stands right now, I'm still in the experimental phase of this newer taper. 

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

13 hours ago, mdwstrx said:

Only day 2 since drop and have definitely felt some wd.  Thankfully, it's been manageable. Symptoms include increase in hot flushing coming every hour or so. 

Hot flushing woke me a couple of times.  I can feel the inner tingling and a slight bit of neuralgia/headache. 

Yesterday, playing sports, got a strange sensation (like the start of difficult breathing but it never fully manifested). Could have been a reaction to heat. 

So far, the total drop this month on the BM slide has been 3.69%.  I'll continue to hold until Friday to see how it goes and if the mods think I should try another scheduled drop then.

It seems odd to me that before my crash, I was able to drop to 2.5 mg. w/o significant wd. At this rate, I'm discouraged that the taper will take forever but I'm thankful, even so, that I can still decrease a slight bit while managing.  I'm hoping, with mod help, to get to a routine level of reduction and then stay the course.  As it stands right now, I'm still in the experimental phase of this newer taper. 

proud of you, very very proud of you. I have to do some searching on this site but what is the BM slide if you can give me a very short summary?

Not doing so well tonight. as ive mentioned ive been trying to stable of 5 mg as of june 14. my panics got much better. turned into general, manageable anxiety, 

i have a place out east in the hamptons that i go to every weekend to get out of the city... i brought 3 gfs. we had a blast. my anxiety had lessened a whole lot. in the last hour i started to have that old panic feeling. i took my emergency Benzo and am okay now. i wouldnt have been able to even type before.hopefully when i wake up and tomorrow during work i do not feel this. i hadnt felt the panic in the longest time!!!!

@Dejavu

~DS~

On 7/26/2019 at 2:12 PM, Dejavu said:

i also completely feel the same way. This SSRI taper is like no other taper i have ever had, And i have done a few different medication tapers. Benzos, as you know. Gabapentin, and few others a long time ago while i was having issues in college.

those were just a walk in the damn park compared to this. right now, well before, during the panic, i was considering taking off work tomorrow that's how much terror i felt. very familiar feeling to when i first posted on this site. I am a bit surprised the panic feeling came back.as stated below i feel okay now due to taking my Benzo and this is the complete only reason I can even type, not calling out of work etc etc. i was so great this whole weekend. !! I have to wake u[p at 545 AM tomorrow and hopefully will be okay to get to work. Nose isnt clogged right now, but dripping.... it stopped finally but what an annoying, have a bit of abdominal pain too right now.

@mdwstrx what helps me so much is watching a show but watching it specifically with headphones in to tune EVERYTHING out, it makes a big difference 

~DS~

On 7/18/2019 at 9:58 AM, Frogie said:

Wishing you nothing but good thoughts on your taper.

Take care,

Frogie xx

hi @Frogie would love to speak on the benzo use with you. i as well use benzos to come off of lexapro.  what is your dosage?  when you say 10 tablets daily, do you mean ten full xanax bars daily? just wondering and want to compare what I am on. I had/ am having a major rough time doing the lexapro taper without benzos. i had tapered off of benzos 5 years ago - a pretty high dose actually too - and it was absolutely nothing compared to this. 

would love to talk us together on the benzo usage while coming off SSRI, what works, what doesnt (which i dont have the answers to - i just know its the only thing that can help me cope through this lexapro WD), do you take your xanax at certain time every day etc etc, are you even still on? do you have an intro page would love to read it,

xoxox DLee

~DS~

On 7/15/2019 at 11:28 PM, wantrelief said:

Wow - congratulations on getting so low, @ChessieCat....that is quite an accomplishment!!  Oops - sorry mdwstrx....I just realized this is your thread and not CC's. 

hi there -

it is a relief for me at least to some others on benzos as well doing this. i categorized myself as weak but coming off this SSRI is just not an option without it. right now i am prescribed 10 mg valium daily. for emergencies - when i am in the throws of it al and feel debiliatetd - i am also prescribed a few,, not many xanax for utter panic attacks (coming off lexapro) and some klonopin if the valium ends but not being strong enough. to be honest, it really is not - but it IS when i am stabilized or feel the wave of stabilization. example when i first posted on this site i was oanicking on a daily basis all day, valium wasnt really helping, then i felt better two - 3 weeks later and do not get the panics anymore, still of course taking the valium so i am not WDing off two things, . but TONIGHT - utter panic came back for the first time in a month and a half.... had to take the stronger benzo, it was bad,,, 

let's all hang in there but it is nice to know im not alone on the benzo thing.. i feel guilty well FELT guilty but there was not way i was going to succeed without.

i have come off of a high dose of benzos around 5 years ago and had no symptons at all. slow taper. not too slow but slow enough. nothing is like this lexapro. were all here for each other!

~DS~

9 hours ago, Danalee13 said:

hi @Frogie would love to speak on the benzo use with you. i as well use benzos to come off of lexapro.  what is your dosage?  when you say 10 tablets daily, do you mean ten full xanax bars daily? just wondering and want to compare what I am on. I had/ am having a major rough time doing the lexapro taper without benzos. i had tapered off of benzos 5 years ago - a pretty high dose actually too - and it was absolutely nothing compared to this. 

would love to talk us together on the benzo usage while coming off SSRI, what works, what doesnt (which i dont have the answers to - i just know its the only thing that can help me cope through this lexapro WD), do you take your xanax at certain time every day etc etc, are you even still on? do you have an intro page would love to read it,

xoxox DLee

Hi:

You can go to my thread: Frogie: W/D from Xanax and we can talk there if you would like to.

Take care,

Frogie xx

@Danalee13  Hi Danelee!  Thanks so much for your encouragement and I'm sorry you're struggling so.  I'm going to pop over to your thread to read more about your situation and history.  I'll reply more there since I want to keep from having multiple discussions going on in this thread so mods don't have to sort through them when I need their input.  💜

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

On 7/28/2019 at 7:03 AM, mdwstrx said:

Hi:

I’m so glad to see you were able to taper without too many wd symptoms.

That’s wonderful news!

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Keep up the good work, you’re doing great😊

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hello.

Posting my taper history since May.

5/1/2019

mg

% 

3.28%

5/8/2019 5.75 2.54%
5/15/2019 5.60 2.61%
5/24/2019 5.50 1.79%
              hold 10.22%
7/19/2019 5.35 2.76
7/26/2019 5.30 0.93

Symptoms from the .9 % reduction last Friday are still working themselves out.  Tolerable, but I wouldn't have wanted to experience anything much stronger.

I am scheduled to reduce again Friday and concerned.  To drop to 5.25 mg is another .94% drop.  If last drop was rough, I fear a new drop may be too soon. 

I am feeling ok but fear setting off another 2 month semi-crash as I did in May.

Appreciate thoughts on whether to consider a drop or hold as I'm still learning wd normal and trying very hard to get onto the brass monkey slide method.

Thank you.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Appreciate thoughts on whether to consider a drop

I think you've answered your own question: hold.  If things are feeling a little iffy, there's no need to push through the next two weeks to get through the four weeks of the Brassmonkey slide before you hold.  More than once I've held in the middle of the 4-week cycle when symptoms got to be too much.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

1 hour ago, mdwstrx said:

Hello.

Posting my taper history since May.

5/1/2019

mg

% 

3.28%

5/8/2019 5.75 2.54%
5/15/2019 5.60 2.61%
5/24/2019 5.50 1.79%
              hold 10.22%
7/19/2019 5.35 2.76
7/26/2019 5.30 0.93

Symptoms from the .9 % reduction last Friday are still working themselves out.  Tolerable, but I wouldn't have wanted to experience anything much stronger.

I am scheduled to reduce again Friday and concerned.  To drop to 5.25 mg is another .94% drop.  If last drop was rough, I fear a new drop may be too soon. 

I am feeling ok but fear setting off another 2 month semi-crash as I did in May.

Appreciate thoughts on whether to consider a drop or hold as I'm still learning wd normal and trying very hard to get onto the brass monkey slide method.

Thank you.

agreed , i don't think you should put yourself on a time schedule. when i was doing that it was giving me a ton of anxiety. now i just go by how i'm feeling which is a lot better!

~DS~

Thanks @Gridley.  So if I hold, would I hold another week and start the BM slide over for the next full four weeks?  

@Danalee13  Thanks for your encouragement Danalee!  I get easily discouraged only being able to drop so little when before the crash, it was much easier to drop.  

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

So if I hold, would I hold another week and start the BM slide over for the next full four weeks?

You would hold another week (or two).  Then, if you're feeling pretty good, you would start the BM slide at the place where you left off, 5.3mg, and taper by approx. 2 1/2% per week from there for the next four weeks and then had for two weeks.  All, of course, dependent  on what your body is telling you.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Gridley.  It seems like an obvious answer but I know how the cuts add up and wasn't sure how to count if I hold after only two weeks of cutting.

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼