SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mdwstrx: Lexapro / escitalopram taper or not?

mdwstrx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi md, 

Glad to hear you’re having good days. Be careful not to overdo the sports, as you may for it later. Glad you had a fun time with your friend. I love spending time with friends, I had a ball at an aqua park on Sunday with friends. 

I hope you have many more good days.💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thanks Carmie!  I am feeling sx a bit this evening which is unusual this time of night so you may be right about overdoing.  I appreciate your input.  

Your aqua park visit  sounds fun!  Although out of season here lol. And friends are what make life so much more enjoyable!  

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Thanks Carmie!  I am feeling sx a bit this evening which is unusual this time of night so you may be right about overdoing.  I appreciate your input.  

Your aqua park visit  sounds fun!  Although out of season here lol. And friends are what make life so much more enjoyable!  

Hey again, 

Yes, please don’t overdo it. Sometimes it’s fun though doing things even if we don’t have the strength. The aqua park really was such fun, and I exerted myself a bit more than I would normally( I have CFS ). I did pace myself though, and when I couldn’t move anymore I just jumped into the water with the life jacket on and floated. I looooove the water so much. I’m thinking of buying a life jacket n also a boogie board so I can just float when I don’t have the strength to do much else. 

Yes, friends make life so enjoyable. Love my friends. 

I hope the season comes around again when you can go to an aqua park or swim at the beach. I’m happiest anywhere near water. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Well done in another good day!

That over doing it though is a hard one. Maybe gently build yourself into things so if it is too much the consequences won’t be as bad.

I can’t wait for the day I can go for a run or long hike without worrying about it. 

Would rather your cold weather than our heat at the moment....but depending on where you are in the states I know your summers can be unbearable....for us anyway!

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

Hello,

I am asking Alto if she would weigh in on the following.

LINK:  Alto's response to this post.

Regarding tapering after stabilization, I recently asked Dr. Shipko about his reluctance to encourage long term SSRI patients to taper and stop the drug (from his document “Informed Consent for SSRI Antidepressants.”)  He gave me permission to quote him as follows:

(Dr. Shipko - Jan. 7, 2019)

"The risks of tapering increase with time.  If a patient is fully informed of the risks of tapering, and still wants to do it after 10 years of SSRI exposure, I will assist the patient in tapering.  However, outcomes are generally poor after 10 years of exposure.  After 30 years of exposure I think that the likelihood of successfully stopping without becoming symptomatically incapacitated for a long time is low.   Slow tapering means that tapering is so slow that the patient has no withdrawal symptoms during the entire tapering process.

However, when symptoms appear months later, you most likely will be able to stop them with prompt reinstatement so the problems are not necessary long term.  However, in a small percentage of people (I don't have any numbers on this) reinstatement makes people worse. Harm reduction, by lowering the dose, is certainly a reasonable alternative.  If you reduce the dosage, reduce it so slowly that you have no symptoms at all.  When a dosage cut results in symptoms, this is probably the stopping point."

• Question: Alto, what is your take on Dr. Shipko's position?  I am diligently trying to research and decide if it is safe to taper and stop.  Or, if I should minimize dosage and hold indefinitely.  

Unrelated to the above, it seems the w/d process has morphed into a different stage.  Sx are more manageable (thank you Lord!)  However, a type of 'dysphoria' has set in that is troubling.  Like so many have said, it's worse in the morning - as are all the other sx. 

• Question:  Does this dysphoric stage pass too?  After stabilization, will it be possible to see things in proper perspective and not feel so dismal and overly sensitive? 

Thank you.  

Edited by ChessieCat
link to Alto's response

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Moderators, 

Do you know if there is harm in taking 1 GM tablet of Valacyclovir 2x daily for two days for a cold sore during w/d?

Thanks.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Day 57

Regrettably the wave has returned.  Breathless anxiety, nervousness and general malaise is back. 

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, mdwstrx said:

Moderators, 

Do you know if there is harm in taking 1 GM tablet of Valacyclovir 2x daily for two days for a cold sore during w/d?

Thanks.

If it was me, I'd just let it run its course.  I've had cold sores during tapering and they don't generally last long.  I find metho helps to dry them up.  I did use Zovirax topical for several days but that is only helpful if you can get it on before they develop too far.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, mdwstrx said:

Day 57

Regrettably the wave has returned.  Breathless anxiety, nervousness and general malaise is back. 

You've got a cold sore, which may indicate that you are experiencing stress at this time.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Bad luck on the wave but unfortunately to be expected I guess....hang in there though as better days around the corner.

Dont take anything for cold sore just ride it out....not worth the risk as you never know how you will react and it’s not a serious condition.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

• Administrator
On 1/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, mdwstrx said:

• Question: Alto, what is your take on Dr. Shipko's position?  I am diligently trying to research and decide if it is safe to taper and stop.  Or, if I should minimize dosage and hold indefinitely.  

Unrelated to the above, it seems the w/d process has morphed into a different stage.  Sx are more manageable (thank you Lord!)  However, a type of 'dysphoria' has set in that is troubling.  Like so many have said, it's worse in the morning - as are all the other sx. 

• Question:  Does this dysphoric stage pass too?  After stabilization, will it be possible to see things in proper perspective and not feel so dismal and overly sensitive? 

Thank you.  

Dr. Shipko is diligent about fully informing patients. He wants you to know that he cannot predict the outcome of your tapering.

We have many people here who have been tapering gradually for a long time and see to be doing fine. We also have people here who have gone off completely, whether gradually or not, and reported they feel "normal." Like Dr. Shipko, we can't predict the future for any individual.

If you're getting noticeable withdrawal symptoms while tapering, you should stop tapering and let your nervous system settle down. Withdrawal symptoms tend to come in waves and transform into other withdrawal symptoms. Not sure what you mean by "dysphoria" -- we don't use psychiatric terms for symptoms, they're too vague -- but if you're experiencing it as a result of dosage reduction, take a break.

You need to look up side effects of Valacyclovir to decide whether the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks. This goes for every drug you might be prescribed.

If you've always had a tendency to worry yourself sick, you will continue to have this habit until you devote yourself to managing it. If that's why you were taking antidepressants, you may want to consider whether you want to manage this habit with non-drug means or if you want to depend on drugs. If the latter, you might not want to go off the drug entirely.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for your reply Alto.  

I am not tapering presently until i stabilize. It is now two months into withdrawal. 

I am planning on tapering to the lowest dose possible after stabilization.  Trying to decide if it’s safe to stop after so long. I want to make an informed decision.  Dr. Shipko says don’t do it. Too risky.   SA says other long term users are doing it or have done it.   It seems to be two different takes. 

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

Dr. Shipko says don’t do it. Too risky.   SA says other long term users are doing it or have done it.   It seems to be two different takes.

As Alto says we are all an experiment where N=1.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, mdwstrx said:

It seems to be two different takes. 

SA's approach--that it is possible to successfully taper after long-term AD use--resonates with me much more than Dr. Shipko's less optimistic view, based on my personal experience and others' experience.   You will have to decide which view resonates with you.  (I've been on Imipramine for 32 years and have cut my dosage by 2/3; I've been on Lexapro for 14 years and have tapered from 20mg to 4.1 and am functioning).

Brassmonkey was on Paxil (probably the most difficult AD to taper) for 20 years plus 5+ more years of tapering, and his taper was a success and he is certainly not symptomatically incapacitated.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, Gridley said:

SA's approach--that it is possible to successfully taper after long-term AD use--resonates with me more than Dr. Shipko's less optimistic view.  

Same with me.  I've been an an AD for 25 years.  Almost 20 years on citalopram SSRI which I believe pooped out on me.  That is something that Dr Shipko may not take into consideration, the drug reaching tolerance so a person would end up on a drug that isn't working yet still needs to taper because if they go too fast they will get withdrawal symptoms - stuck between a really large rock and a really hard place, especially if they are on a high dose of a drug.  And the other issues that needs to be considered about staying on a drug is the side effects which you get.  I've had numbed emotions for 25 years of my 61 years.

And 6 years on Pristiq SNRI.  I was taking 100mg and I'm now down to 4.75mg.  After trying to reduce my dose from 100mg to 50mg for 2 weeks I found SA, updosed, stabilised and have been tapering following SA's recommended tapering protocol.  I've also had two longer holds during my taper.  One of 3 months at 50mg and one of 7 weeks at 20mg to let my brain do any catching up it needed to do.  During my taper I do still experience withdrawal symptoms but they are generally mild, can increase a bit after a reduction, and have ramped up during stressful times.  I think this is just a normal part of tapering.  I doubt that a completely symptom free taper is possible considering that each time the drug is reduced the brain needs to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

Thank you both, Gridley and Chessie, for sharing your opinions and experience!  It is so needed to hear from other long term users who have been there (in w/d) and are now tapering.  I admire you both and pray that you have continued success in tapering and eventually stopping.  I have to admit that this ordeal has terrified me; literally.  Everything seemed colored by fear.  As I begin to feel better, things are slowly getting back into a right perspective (I hope).

I had a visit with my Dr. today.  He also gave me reason for so much hope.  

1.  He thinks that within 4 weeks, w/d should begin to clear up.  He reassured me he's never had a patient where it did not clear.  (not speaking of protracted w/d which he confirmed is not acknowledged as such in the medical arena)

2.  He was interested in what SA would say if one can't up-dose to clear w/d - until I clarified SA was more conservative in up-dosing - if needed.  He didn't seem to think 2.5  mg increases was large enough to cause kindling or overshoot the mark but then again, it was his direction for me to jump off at 2.5 mg.

3.  We agreed to stay at 7.5 mg Lexapro and begin a crossover to liquid taking 5 mg. pill and 2.5 mg. liquid to prepare for tapering. 

4.  He was interested in Dr. Shipko's take that long term users should not come off.  He said it was not his experience over 30 yrs and that he's never had a patient that couldn't come off AD successfully, even long term users.

5.  He encouraged me to use the Propranolol and gave me an rx for Alprazolam 0.25 mg as needed for relief, cutting by half if that works.  (He prefers it over Lorazepam as a 'cleaner' drug)

On the last one, I understand the risks and will only use if absolutely necessary.  He reassured me that they never prescribe more than 2 mg to patients and then never to those who have addictive backgrounds. 

On the matter of why he directed me to stop Lexapro at 2.5 mg., he said it wasn't unusual and that that some patients will stop at 5 mg.  😱  I gave him the SA take on 10% tapering down to below 1 mg.  He agreed it was sensible and will follow my lead when I begin to taper.  I got the impression that he doesn't see ADs as inherently harmful.  I suppose he's seen their benefit for severe illnesses when nothing else works.  I don't think I was going to convince him one way or another given his experience.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi md, 

Jumping off at 5mg is😱indeed! Well said!💚

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

I had a visit with my Dr. today.  He also gave me reason for so much hope.  

1.  He thinks that within 4 weeks, w/d should begin to clear up.  He reassured me he's never had a patient where it did not clear.  (not speaking of protracted w/d which he confirmed is not acknowledged as such in the medical arena)

2.  He was interested in what SA would say if one can't up-dose to clear w/d - until I clarified SA was more conservative in up-dosing - if needed.  He didn't seem to think 2.5  mg increases was large enough to cause kindling or overshoot the mark but then again, it was his direction for me to jump off at 2.5 mg.

3.  We agreed to stay at 7.5 mg Lexapro and begin a crossover to liquid taking 5 mg. pill and 2.5 mg. liquid to prepare for tapering. 

4.  He was interested in Dr. Shipko's take that long term users should not come off.  He said it was not his experience over 30 yrs and that he's never had a patient that couldn't come off AD successfully, even long term users.

5.  He encouraged me to use the Propranolol and gave me an rx for Alprazolam 0.25 mg as needed for relief, cutting by half if that works.  (He prefers it over Lorazepam as a 'cleaner' drug)

Thank you for attempting to inform your doctor. His position is that of the conventional psychiatry establishment. None of it is a surprise.

1) If that were true, this site would not exist. We would be happy to close up shop and let psychiatrists do the work.

2) He doesn't know anything about updosing or kindling.

3) Of course he agreed to let you do what you want -- he doesn't know what to do.

4) He probably doesn't recognize withdrawal symptoms when they occur or follow his patients long enough to see how they're doing after they're off for a while.

5) Alprazolam is not a "clean" benzo. They are all equally messy.

In short, he knows little about tapering and withdrawal syndrome.

You may want to evaluate whether you want to keep him on the payroll. Any doctor, even your GP, can prescribe psychiatric drugs. A GP is often more sympathetic than a psychiatrist to tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Good morning.  Thank you all for your comments.  I've included a overview of last day and a half as well as an updated chart.  Thoughts on on eventual stabilization would be appreciated.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 4.5 hrs. sleep

1:00 a.m. woke/returned to sleep

4:00 a.m. woke – dozed in and out

6:45 a.m. up took 7.5 Lexapro.  Feeling same agitation, inner restlessness.

9:00 a.m. to sport work out – felt ok

2:15 p.m. Dr. appointment;  restlessness/nervous/general malaise, got very anxious/feeling unwell at apt.

5:41 p.m. still a anxious but feeling more hopeful

7:00 p.m. read Alto's note.  Felt disheartened.  

8:00 p.m. inner restlessness/nervous/general malaise ramped up.  Mindfulness not working.

10:00 pm bed

Friday, January 11, 2019 4.5 hrs. sleep

1:00 a.m. woke couldn’t sleep, mindfulness not working.

4:00 a.m. agitated, inner restlessness, anxious -took 2.5 mg. Propranolol – was able to doze in and out feeling more relaxed.

7:30 a.m. up took 7.5 Lexapro 

8:30 a.m.  sx ramping up and very uncomfortable

9:00 a.m. took 2.5 mg. Propranolol 

image.thumb.png.0edaf6cdc31cc484d1bb0cf1b10ee75d.png

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Sorry to hear the last couple of days are not so good for you.

I wouldn’t  take much notice from the doctor you saw as like 99 percent of them they wouldn’t have a clue about wd or tapering correctly. For some reason they just can’t understand that drugs can cause serious issues! I only use the doctor as a means of ensuring I get the medication I need to keep doing what I am and make my own decisions regarding dose etc. which is hold and continue to hold. I lost any respect I had for the medical profession regarding mental health back in when I was struggling big time with panic/anxiety......they wouldn’t have a clue and drugs are always their answer. Unfortunately we are almost on our own medically when it comes to wd.

You will stabilise I’m sure...no one can say how long it will take though.....your still up and down it seems which means when you do stabilise the symptoms (if any) will be far more consistent and fluctuate very little day to day, week to week. They should also be far more tolerable for you.

Unfortunately two months is nothing in stabilising terms....have seen members who take 3 months or 4 months or even 12 months. As you have had better periods it shows you are getting there.

I know I’m having a better time at the moment but still scared it will turn bad again or won’t improve anymore but have to focus on the fact that improvements have definitely happened so surly it will continue at some point.

Try to avoid the benzo unless in a really difficult period where....like a may need to go to the hospital situation.....you add another drug then it makes it harder to determine what is causing which symptom plus obviously the dependency issues.

Keep hanging in there!

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Thanks Tom.  Your words of encouragement are really appreciated.  I'm glad you're feeling better!  I am hoping that this means you're nearing stabilization.  I know that we'll be ok.  I am pursuing with my whole being, getting well.  That includes getting strict with avoiding triggering things, focusing on the positive, living to the extent that I can, as normal as possible and putting my faith in the Lord - for both of us.  I've limited my viewing to your posts only, though I continue to pray for all on this site.  I firmly believe that prayer makes a great difference. 🙏💕

It's hard for me to believe my doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.  It's like an alternative reality the way he presents himself.  He is 150% confident he knows what he's doing and has a 30 year practice at both a capital city hospital and school of medicine.  I need that confidence but I'm not naive.  I'm listening to him, but making decisions using what I am learning on this site with the help of Alto and the mods.  He's been respectful of my attempts to self educate and of SA to the extent he realizes there are real people here who've experienced a lot of pain in various scenarios. I find him to be honest and sincerely wanting to help.  In the end though, none of that can make up for ignorance on a matter  -  for whatever reason and I appreciate that.  It's truly a dangerous minefield where we need to take charge of our own care, as you said.  Right now obviously, I am most interested in stabilizing.  It's coming, for both of us, I know it!  And God's word is faithful when it says that He will not let us be tempted by more than we can bear.  He will see to it that every temptation, even this one, has a way out.  I am counting on it!

And thanks for your wise benzo warning.  I'm saving it for that emergency scenario and pray it never comes.  I do use the Propranolol and it has helped; today, just barely.  But I got through the day, going out to get groceries, gas and and back home now as we wait for a major snow storm.  I think I'd prefer the warm sea breeze.  Enjoy it!

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Not a great day but it's been worse.  Feeling cabin fever today, especially with almost a foot of snow.   Thankful I can rest without distraction.

Saturday, January 12, 2019  6 hrs. sleep

·         12:00 a.m. woke/back to sleep around 12:30 am

·         4:00 a.m.  woke/eventually went back to sleep

·         6:45 a.m. Up took 7.5 Lexapro.

·         9:00 a.m.  Feeling restless, breathless. Uncomfortable. If I get up and move it’s better. Slight headache.

·         12:00 p.m. lite lunch feeling a bit better.

·         12:30 p.m. napped

·         2:30 p.m. up – shoveled snow from walk

·         3:00 p.m. headache, buzzing

·         5:00 p.m. no appetite, headache, slight buzzing, general malaise

·         10:00 p.m. bed

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Not a great night sleeping unfortunately.  But all in all, it's been a bit of a better day.  Hoping it is the end of the wave.

Sunday, January 13, 2019   3.5 hrs. sleep

·         12:00 a.m. woke peaceful. Within a few seconds, the restless, agitated feeling came back.  Hot flushing. 

·         3:30 a.m. took 2.5 Propranolol to try to get back to sleep.  Eventually slept.

·         5:00 a.m. woke.  Tossed and turned – may have dozed. Same sx.

·         6:45 a.m. Up took 7.5 Lexapro.  Feeling some slight burning in arms and back of neck. Nauseous and light headed from lack of sleep.  Inner restlessness and breathless again.

·         10:00 a.m.  Tired and trying to stay positive. More snow overnight. Shoveled walk again.  Feels better when I move around.  

·         2:00 p.m.  Able to get out and get some lunch.  Really no appetite but I’m feeling surprisingly better.  Sx seem to be in the background this p.m.

·         500 p.m. feeling a bit shaky and weak tonight.

·         10:00 p.m. bed

I bought a bottle of bottle of Melatonin, 3 mg.  Tonight I guess I'll try one 3 mg. to begin with.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

I bought a bottle of bottle of Melatonin, 3 mg.  Tonight I guess I'll try one 3 mg. to begin with.

I suggest you try a much smaller amount.  Please see:  melatonin-for-sleep

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2011 at 11:26 AM, Altostrata said:

Here's how to re-establish your sleep cycle with melatonin:

- Start with 0.25mg-0.50mg melatonin for 3-4 days.

- Take at the same time, nightfall (but, given that it's summer, not later than 8 p.m.), every night.

- If needed, gradually increase by .25mg for 3-4 days at a time.

- Use the lowest effective dose.

- Try to turn lights off or keep lights low after sundown. Your bedroom should be quiet and dark. Darkness triggers natural melatonin production. Artificial lighting, including staring into the computer, can give the wrong signal to your pineal gland. STAY OFF THE COMPUTER AT NIGHT.

- Keep to a very regular schedule -- this is what your circadian rhythm needs.

- Do NOT take melatonin regularly at any time but nightfall or you might scramble your sleep-wake cycle.

Thank you, Chessie; for that suggestion.  I had no idea. I may try to order the sublingual Alto recommends. If I cut the 3mg; seems I can only get it to .375.  That should be ok for now?

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

• Moderator Emeritus
45 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

[Altostrata]

Start with 0.25mg-0.50mg melatonin for 3-4 days.

Another night of broken sleep but I got a few more hours in thankfully.  Decided not to mess with Melatonin since I fall asleep ok but have it if needed.  On waking at 3:30 a.m. - the neuro fear was really strong and creating waves of anxiety and the lower gi issues that come with it.  That continued into the morning but has since mostly gone away.  

Today, I'm feeling better.  Hopefully it's the start of a window. The two most notable symptoms are an slight inner shaky/buzzy feeling and being easily triggered by thinking, reading or hearing disturbing things.  Normally, I can brush those things off, but system is so sensitive it really throws me back into feeling bad.  Avoiding as best I can.  If I had to say, operating about 80 -85% of normal today.   If the insomnia, anxiety and buzzy feeling, would just leave...  

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Good to hear a better day for you....if only these few remaining symptoms would leave is the same as me.

Hopefully you have a better night tonight regarding the neuro fear/anxiety. Thankfully I don’t get the anxiety in the morning as of yet.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Thanks Tom.  Wonder if it matters (as far as stabilizing) that you fast tapered and that I ct'd 2.5 mg for 5 days?  You seem to be doing better (and I'm very grateful since I've been praying for you).  🙏

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

5.5 hours sleep last night on the same schedule of waking at 12 or 1 and then again around 3. Anxiety was brutally painful this morning at 3. Not waves, but a constant onslaught. Tried meditating, mindfulness, deep breathing, and progressive relaxation with little success. Took 2.5 mg Propranolol which barely took the edge off.  Not nearly as bad now at 8 a.m.

Began the switch over to liquid escitalopram/Lexapro today by taking normal dose of 7.5 mg (5 mg. pill/2.5 mg. liquid).  I'm leery of what effect that will have. 

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Alto, is it worth considering an up-dose at this point 2 months into w/d? 

Saturday, January 12, 2019   6 hrs. sleep (broken)

12:00 a.m. woke/back to sleep 

4:00 a.m.  woke/back to sleep

6:45 a.m. Up took 7.5 mg of Lexapro

9:00 a.m.  Feeling anxious, breathless. Uncomfortable. If I get up and move it’s better. Slight headache.

12:00 p.m. lite lunch feeling a bit better.

12:30 p.m. napped

3:00 p.m. headache, buzzing

5:00 p.m. no appetite, headache, slight buzzing, general malaise

10:00 p.m. bed

Sunday, January 13, 2019   3.5 hrs. sleep

12:00 a.m. woke peaceful at first.  Within a minute, the restless, agitated feeling came back.  Hot flushing. 

3:30 a.m. took 2.5 Propranolol.  Eventually slept.

5:00 a.m. woke.  Tossed and turned – may have dozed. Same sx.

6:45 a.m. Up took 7.5 mg of Lexapro.  Feeling some slight burning in arms and back of neck. Nausea, inner restlessness and breathless again.

2:00 p.m.  Sx seem to be more in the background this p.m. No appetite.

5:00 p.m. feeling a bit shaky and weak tonight.

10:00 p.m. bed

Monday, January 14, 2019 6 hrs. sleep (broken)

3:30 woke. Hot flushing.  Ridiculous neuro-fear and bad anxiety. Couldn’t get back to sleep. Up several times w/diarrhea.

7:00 a.m.  Up took 7.5 Lexapro.  Nauseous, diarrhea, slight burning in arms and back of neck.

10:00 a.m.  Feeling a bit better. Slight buzzy feeling, a little tension in arms.

Rest of day - easily triggered by bad thoughts/news - wave of tension and anxiety for short periods.  Sx stayed low but by bedtime, was feeling tension rising.

10:00 p.m. bed. Developing a reluctance to want to go to bed, fearing the inevitable morning anxiety routine.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019   5.5 hrs. of sleep (broken)

12:00 a.m. woke, back to sleep

3:30 a.m. woke.  Hot flushing. Anxiety was brutal. Took 2.5 mg. Propranolol -it barely took edge off. 

7:00 a.m. Up. Took 7.5 mg. Lexapro (5 mg. pill/2.5 mg. liquid) 

8:30: a.m. Feeling nervous, nauseous and breathless. 

12:30 p.m.  Feeling a bit better as the day wears on. Slight waves of heaviness in head.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

Hey,

We have different situations with my tapering and crash and your ct then reinstatement so I wouldn’t compare our progress not just because of that but because we are both made up differently anyway. Even if we were exactly the same regarding medication our bodies are different so would heal differently. I’m definitely not stable yet and my good run seems to have come to an end. Who knows how long this will take and alot of the time I wonder if stabilising will happen and that this is the new me. I just try to think of other members who have gone through this and it has taken three months or 4 months or even a year. But it all those cases they have stabilised. I’m at over two months out so while feels like a long time still early. 

I know it’s tough and I get so impatient myself but for what it’s worth I’m staying as is for a long while yet with dose. 

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

1 hour ago, Tom37 said:

I wonder if stabilising will happen and that this is the new me.

Hey.  I believe it will and this is not the new anybody.  If you have the will, as we do, our minds and our spirits will take us where we need to be.  Being impatient to feel better is human.  I get acceptance but this is beyond accepting.  It's adjusting hope and expectation with every new wave.  Talk about adjustment disorders. lol  I'm tired from lack of non broken sleep and beat down by the darned anxiety.  I needed your post.  Thanks!

I hope in your case, that the windows are getting longer (they seem to be) and that the waves much shorter.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

I always think others will stabilise apart from myself like I’m the rare exception...frustrating to think like that but part of this whole process I guess.

I struggle with acceptance like yourself. I don’t know how people can accept this situation without any issue. Definitely the biggest challenge Ive ever had.

Keep up the fight.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Hello.  Question about oral syringe use.  I have the one shown here.  Sorry if the answers seems self-evident but I want to make sure I don't just assume. Thank you.

• The liquid escitalopram is 5mg/5ml.  So to take 2.5 mg., I take 2.5 ml.  Correct?
  • The syringe plunger has a black rubber convex piece.  Is it accurate to line up the top of the rubber piece with marking (and not the bottom of the rubber piece)?
  • Also, is it accurate to fill the full tube and nozzle? Both yesterday and today, I made sure there was no liquid in the nozzle before pushing the plunger.  I think that may have inadvertently cut my dosage the last two days by the .5mL noted in quote below.  If so, should I remedy that today?

Important note about using oral syringes

These are plastic tubes with little nozzles on the end. The little nozzles contain at least .5mL. Measure your dosage by the tickings on the tube, do not add the amount in the nozzle. When you take the medication, push the plunger in to the end of the tube. Don't try to get the last little bit out of the nozzle. Don't rinse your syringe to get this last little bit, it will throw the amount of your dosage off -- you'll be taking more than you intended.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼

A much better night sleeping - 8 hrs!  I've stopped looking at the clock to see what times I wake to avoid insomnia anxiety.  The times are have been pretty routine anyway.  I woke twice briefly but returned to a peaceful sleep both times.  When I did wake, I was able to lay in bed and avert the anxiety mostly by gently pushing bad thoughts away, praying and refocusing on peaceful thoughts.  However, breathing felt like I had a heavy weight on my chest.  Up now and symptoms are in background with the exception of feeling nervous unless I distract myself.  Will try to get out and about today to combat cabin fever.

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

CURRENT  0.36 mg 🌼