mdwstrx

mdwstrx: Lexapro taper or not?

ChessieCat

Just be prepared that you might feel some increase in symptoms over the next few days or so.

Please let us know how you go.

mdwstrx

Will do Chessie.

I decided to take half of my normal dose this morning.  Will take half later around 5 ish. 🙏

Thanks again.  

mdwstrx

Hello.  Checking in.  

Despite late dosing on Monday, I've felt surprisingly good yesterday and today (so far). 🙂

Praying that the symptoms from last cut 19 days ago are fading and that I can consider another taper at some point.  

Thoughts from the mods on when and how much are welcome . 

Gridley
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mdwstrx said:

I'd wait a week or two more and see how you feel.  Are you still doing the Brassmonkey slide

Could you update your signature to reflect your current dose and date you dropped 19 days ago?  Was the dose you dropped from 5.5g?  It's good to keep your signature updated every time you drop so you have a record of your progress.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Edited by Gridley

mdwstrx

Hi Gridley. Ok , will wait at least a week and check back.  Yes, still doing BM slide.  Current signature is correct.  Last drop was to 5.5.

apace41

Despite late dosing on Monday, I've felt surprisingly good yesterday and today (so far).

This is good to hear, mdwstrx, but we don't want to "put the cart before the horse."  Let's see where things shake out for you since it can be several days delay before an issue arises.  I'm hoping it won't in this case but better safe than sorry.

Praying that the symptoms from last cut 19 days ago are fading and that I can consider another taper at some point.  

Yes, that would be the goal, but it is WAY too soon after this little "dosing mishap" to even think about another cut.  If you were to stay like you are for another week to 10 days (I'm on the same page as Gridley here) then we can talk about your next cut.  It's NEVER worthwhile to put yourself at risk just to cut a few days off of a multi-year taper.  It seems urgent in the short term but taken in context another week for safety is always wise.

So, if you were to stabilize as we hope you are, when you do cut, perhaps 2-3 weeks from now, I'd take your most recent slide approach and reduce it by a slight amount to hopefully avoid the recent symptoms you have suffered.

Best,

Andy

mdwstrx

Hi Andy. 

I assure you I'm in no hurry to feel bad again.  Hoping things continue to improve on this hold.

Will check back in later before considering another cut if not before. 

Many thanks to you both! Much appreciated. :) 

mdwstrx

Checking in after almost a week from last update.  It's been different.

Some days are better than others.  Having some light insomnia.  Biggest problems is a persuasive feeling of being on the edge of my seat, as if I need something to settle my nervous system; distraction helps.  on a 1 to 5 scale it averages a 2.5 to 3.  Also feeling some despair and depression it seems.  Not happy about empty nest and living alone but I have a ton of things to be grateful for other than that.  I'm also considering downsizing so the issues around that loom larger than they should.  I am trying to re-frame.  Also talking with a counselor and reading what self helps I can to lift the mood.  I exercise frequently but haven't been eating the best (not horrible though). 

I am continuing to hold for another week at least to see if this doesn't clear up a bit. 

mdwstrx
14 hours ago, mdwstrx said:

Biggest problems is a persuasive feeling of being on the edge of my seat, as if I need something to settle my nervous system; distraction helps.

Pervasive... autocorrect. :) 

mdwstrx

Almost a month since my last cut.

Today I feel like my mood is a pendulum.  It swings from feeling ok to feeling unsettled, to grouchy, to impatient, to fearful, to sad, to lonely and back to maybe I'm ok, to grateful to looking at the future and then repeat.

Hot flushing is occurring many times a day, especially at night.

Cognitively I'm missing some cues.  I am definitively not normal me. 

I don't know what to do.  Hold at 5.5 mg.  I certainly don't feel stable to cut.  If I hold, will this improve?

Gridley
26 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

I don't know what to do.  Hold at 5.5 mg.  I certainly don't feel stable to cut.  If I hold, will this improve?

From what you describe, this is definitely not the time to cut.  I suggest that you continue to hold.  A month is not really that long a time to stabilize.  Unfortunately, sometimes it can take months.

mdwstrx

Thanks Gridley, for your reply. I agree it's not time to cut. 

This is not the same as the first Nov. crash.  While there are some physical symptoms like the hot flushing and some insomnia, the more troubling aspect is the mood thing.  And it changes throughout the day oddly enough.  Not huge swings but just little unsettled feelings. I teared up at a dinner with my son last night uncharacteristically.  Today, I actually walked away from a sport game today in between games because I was irritated. I am certain a Dr. would say, "well of course, you're depressed.  You need to increase the dosage." :(

I'm definitely working with tools to combat these neuro emotions.  Just hope they settle down before I alienate too many people or have to hibernate to avoid doing so. 

Gridley
5 minutes ago, mdwstrx said:

I'm definitely working with tools to combat these neuro emotions.  Just hope they settle down before I alienate too many people or have to hibernate to avoid doing so. 

It's so good you recognize what these neuroemotions are.  That's half the battle.  If you have to hibernate for a while, that's okay too.

mdwstrx

I needed someone to tell me it's ok.  You just did.  Thanks Gridley.  💜

Tom37

Definitely hold MD. I always find the emotional symptoms the hardest as so easy to believe it’s ‘you’ when with physical symptoms it’s so clear it’s just wd.

Just be prepared that it can take awhile to stablise even though it wasn’t a bad crash. Nothing we can to other than wait it out and carry on as best we can. Trust me it will settle down.

The longer the emotional symptoms persist the better you will get at coping with them so don’t worry about them affecting your life too much.  Just look after yourself and don’t put too much pressure on yourself to be the normal you when your clearly not!

mdwstrx

Hey Tom.  

What a kind and insightful post!  You're so right about the emotional symptoms.  It makes me believe it's 'me' and I think, how did I ever successfully cope before.  And I did very well, mostly when I look back.  Everything you said, I needed to hear.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  ❣️

How are you doing?  I haven't seen an update lately.

JackieDecides
1 hour ago, mdwstrx said:

Hey Tom.  

What a kind and insightful post! 

you are right, that was an excellent post! 

Mswstrx, I hope things stabilize for you soon. 🤗

mdwstrx

Thank you Jackie.

Popping over to your page to reply. 

Carmie

Hi MD, 

Sorry you’re neuro emotions have been giving you such trouble. They’re fun, aren’t they? Not! 

Glad to hear you’re going to hold a bit longer. I’ve been making about 4% drops, but it takes me around six or so weeks to stabilise again. I think it took me longer last time. The best thing we can do, as you know, is just continue to listen to our bodies. 

I hope that window comes along for you soon, Sending hugs🤗

mdwstrx

Hello mods.  Checking in.

It's been a month since my last cut.  The depressive mood is a bit worse.  

I have a counselor appointment tomorrow but I know she will say that I should consider

updosing with the escitalopram. I imagine the Dr. would suggest same.  I'm doing many self help things but I am struggling.

Interesting, a  year ago in August (before my Nov. crash) I had tapered to 5 mg. and held for a month. 

I then reduced to 2.5 mg. and held for two and a half months before stopping.  During the combined 3.5 months at those doses, my notes reveal some similar symptoms.

Just not as prevalent.  I'm concerned about getting past this point.  Obviously I have to continue to hold but how long do I go with this low mood?

I'm not doing much because when around others, I tend to be pretty mopey or worse, irritable.

Oddly enough, I find I get waves of depressed feelings that make me tear up but I'm unable to cry.  Seems to be a hold over from the crash.  :( 

Tom37

Hi Md,

Sorry your still not back to baseline after your last drop. Glad you are holding as reducing any further could easily make it worse. I’m sure it will settle down but as you know we can’t say when.

i remember during my tapering I would have emotional symptoms that would last for weeks after a drop but would always settle. For me it was nearly always irritability and at times it was terrible, quite ridiculous how irritable I use to get over the smallest things. 

Hopefully a few more weeks and things will settle down.

mdwstrx

Thanks Tom.  Your posts always cheer me up as they are usually right on spot! :)  It helps knowing others know what you're going through. (sadly) 

Today, the sun was shining, I played some sports, saw my counselor and was feeling much better.  Is this a variation of waves I wonder?  

They seem intense but shorter and more emotional/mental than physical.  I'm learning better coping skills which helps. 

The meditation is very helpful I believe.  Plus observing thoughts and emotions instead of driving them is a tremendous help.

I guess before, I felt compelled to manage them.  I'm learning it's best to accept them and then refocus on other things.

I have an excellent counselor.  She is still versed though in the medical model of treatment, holding to the chemical imbalance approach.  I need 

to find something on here to take her to show her it's been challenged.

mdwstrx

Thanks Chessie!!  I'll look through them.