planifolia

planifolia: Lexapro reinstatement

Superwoman

Planifolia,

I think that between TMS and ECT, TMS is definitely the safer of the two options.  ECT is considered a higher risk more invasive procedure.  Are the spasms that you mention seizures?  

planifolia
9 hours ago, Superwoman said:

Planifolia,

I think that between TMS and ECT, TMS is definitely the safer of the two options.  ECT is considered a higher risk more invasive procedure.  Are the spasms that you mention seizures?  

The spasms are not seizures, its something quite odd. It feels like akathisia that has too much energy that the mental and physical pacing is not fast to release the inner energy, and it has to “burst out” in other ways which results in the jerks and spasms. My body would twist and bent violently, my arms and legs flail around like crazy, and it does look like a seizure. But it has a voluntary nature like akathisia and i can surpress it with godlike willpower, and Its easier to hold it in when it is not so horrific. It’s quite odd as I have never seen others have it. But hey-ho this is crazy withdrawal for you :P 

Its likely i am getting my first TMS session this saturday, quite nervous. I wish to ask how does the sessions feel like? I’m just scared of the noise as I have quite bad hyperacusis and loud noises can send me into panic attacks, and i heard the tms machine can be incredibly loud. I also know that you felt better after the first session, and did it get even better with every additional session you did?

Superwoman

Planifolia,

The machine was a little loud but not deafening so.  With ear plugs, it was not bad.  I was still able to hear the technicians talking so it was not too loud.  It was about as loud as a lawn mower.  

I was nervous as well especially the first time, but it turned out to be a lot less scary then it sounds.  There was always a technician in the room with me.  The technicians would talk with me during the treatment because engagement makes the treatment more effective.  This helped distract me from the anxiety.  I sometimes tried to meditate during the treatment to help with anxiety, but I found it hard to concentrate. 

I felt mild scalp discomfort and headache the first week.  It was not bad at all.  This is coming from someone with little pain tolerance.  After the first week it was not painful at all.  I took IBUPROFEN the first week of treatment.  I had some facial twitching during treatment.  This is normal and nothing to worry about. 

Yes, I felt better and better after every treatment.  Right away I intuitively felt that the treatment was what my brain needed.  At some point I had what I assume was a dip.  This is not uncommon and I would not worry if it happens to you.  It is actually a good sign because it means that the treatment is working.  I then pulled out of the dip and continued to improve.  I will write more about the dip later.  I have to start work now.  Good luck to you. 

SW

planifolia

Thanks superwoman for relaying your experience, very grateful. I am visiting my psychiatrist today to discuss the TMS :) 

The reason why i got interested in TMS is because in 2018, there was a study for the first time attempted to apply TMS for the treatment of drug dependency, whereas before it was depression, anxiety, insomnia etc. They tried tms on a group of men to see if it is effective in elleviating opiate withdrawal symptoms, and it had some success. Although the results are very preliminary, it just gives me some hope as i felt this may indicate that tms may have the potential to help with antidepressant wd symptoms. 

Superwoman

I read a few studies done on TMS for drug addiction and dependency and yes it does look promising.  Do you know what area of the brain the placement was?  Just curious. I don’t remember.

I hope in the future they will study TMS for antidepressant withdrawal.  I am thinking of contacting Neurostar and suggesting it actually. 

I read an account on another site of someone who got TMS for withdrawal from antidepressants.  He had no underlying depression.  He was actually put on the antidepressant for a non-mental  health reason and became depressed when withdrawing from the antidepressant.  He said the TMS really helped with the withdrawal depression.

Superwoman

Good luck with your treatment today.  

Superwoman

How did your treatment go Planifolia?

planifolia

Hello Superwoman, thanks for checking up on me. Unfortunately we couldn't do the TMS because of my akathisia. My psychiatrist says TMS requires me to be absolutely still but because of my akathisia it is impossible for me to not move for 30minutes which will render the treatment ineffective. He says we will review again in a month to assess the severity of the akathisia again, and if it is not as severe we can commence then. Very sad 😢 

Have you done anymore sessions since we last spoke? if so how was it?

Superwoman

Planifolia,

That makes sense about the akathisa. You do have to remain still.  No, I have not gotten anymore treatments. 

Superwoman

Have you found anything that helps the akathisia?

planifolia

On 1/15/2020 at 3:38 AM, Superwoman said:

Have you found anything that helps the akathisia?

Unfortunately so far nothing worked. My doctor tried propranolol but it didn’t do much and caused a lot of adverse effects. 
But the akathisia comes and goes in waves and windows, and we’re hoping to catch it when it’s less intense and get the sessions done then