RoxyBF

RoxyBF

MOD NOTE:  Moved from another member's topic (taking citalopram so assuming same here) so assistance can be given immediately.

So sorry.  I can relate though.  Been on 60 mg for 30 years.  Have tapered down in the last 6 months gradually and am on nothing.  It is miserable.  It feels like someone is beating pots and pans with spoons and forks in my head.  Dizzy spells, confusion, rage, crying spells, depression.....One week and 2 days without meds.  When will it improve??

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi RoxyBF and welcome to SA,

I've moved your post from Laurel12's Introduction topic and started an Introductions topic for you.  Generally we would get a member to start their own Intro topic, but I am very concerned about your situation and wanted to get the information to you straight away.

I'm assuming that you are taking citalopram which is the drug Laurel12 is/was taking so I will provide the link for that drug.

What you are experiencing are withdrawal symptoms after going off the drug too quickly.  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist    SA's recommended tapering protocol is to reduce by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The only known way to reduce withdrawal symptoms is to take some of the drug which your brain has adapted to.  You've only been off for 9 days, so reinstatement is a really good option.  The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  Because you have only been off for 9 days you could take a bit less than you were last taking.  You could try 1/2 of the last dose.  It is better to start with a small amount and increase if necessary.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  Please keep daily symptom notes on paper so you can see how reinstating is going.  Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you are taking a different drug please go to this page where there are links to different drugs in Post #1:  Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

I will tell you about my own experience which might help you to understand.  I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg for 3 weeks.  I experienced extreme cog fog and even walking took all of my concentration.  After 3 weeks I was unable to type.  Being a professional typist for 40+ years I knew that something was truly wrong.  Thankfully I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested taking extra Pristiq.  When I couldn't type I realised that I needed to do this.  About 4 hours after taking extra drug I was able to type again and the cog fog was lifting.  Because I had a benchmark I knew it was all caused by the drug.

This is your own Introductions topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management