Moejoe: Pristiq

Moejoe

I have only been on pristique for 8 days. I did a much too fast taper from lorazopam and temazopam and crashed hard. Valium reinstated as replacement to taper off slowly over course of a year.  I was crossed directly to Valium with no slow conversion. My body went into even more shock at this sudden switch. 

Realizing there are so many variables I am wondering  if pristique is adding to the many horrid feelings I am experiencing...extreme and debilitating fatigue and depression to the point of suicide ideation...constant thoughts of death...muscles cramping in upper legs...shoulders tensed and ought all the time...no appetite...at all. Tinnitis has gotten really bad again. 

question...do I have to taper after 8!days of prestige or can I just quit. 

On olanzopine for 3 years. Started at 10 mg. Had no problem going from 10 to 5 then to 2.5 mgs. Tapered 2.5 using 5% reduction every two weeks. Off olanzopine for 3 months now 

Lithium 300 mg off for 9 weeks..no withdrawal 

Still on 250 mg of anafrinal every pm. 
started with severe insomnia a few  days ago. I sleep for about an hour..then I wake up for the night. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Moejoe: Pristiq
On 9/9/2018 at 2:02 PM, ChessieCat said:

Hi Cindyrella and welcome to SA,

You did the correct thing taking your Pristiq again.  And yes, it is possible to get off it.  I'm 60 years old (25 years on an AD) and have managed to go from Pristiq 100mg and currently at 7mg.  When I was on 100mg I was experiencing mild serotonin syndrome and my diastolic blood pressure was high.  As my dose got lower I also started feeling like my pre-AD days.  I hadn't realised how numb I had been for so many years. 

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks.  This allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

With regards to your klonopin it is better to take the same dose every dose, not skip doses, so it would be better to take 0.25mg every night.

Please note that SA suggests only tapering one drug at a time, because if you develop issues you will not know what is causing it.

Please also see:  taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first

To help us out, please create your drug signature, details of dates, doses, drugs for the last 2 years and years and drug for anything prior to 2 years.  No diagnoses or symptoms please, we like it to be easy to see.  Thank you.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

This is your own introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own progress and journal your progress.

HOW DOD YOU GETVDOWN TO 7 mgs...you can't cut these

Edited by ChessieCat
added quote to post

On olanzopine for 3 years. Started at 10 mg. Had no problem going from 10 to 5 then to 2.5 mgs. Tapered 2.5 using 5% reduction every two weeks. Off olanzopine for 3 months now 

started with severe insomnia a few  days ago. I sleep for about an hour..then I wake up for the night. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moejoe and welcome to SA,

If Pristiq is the ONLY antidepressant you have taken then it should be okay to just stop it straight away.  Especially if you have noticed a worsening of symptoms.

Q:  Have you taken any antidepressants prior to Pristiq?

Please create a drug signature using the following format:

Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes I have been on martizopam 30 mg since feb/18

i will make signature tomorrow...promise. 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, Moejoe said:

HOW DOD YOU GETVDOWN TO 7 mgs...you can't cut these

I get them compounded.

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Moejoe said:

Yes I have been on martizopam 30 mg since feb/18

Do you mean Mirtazapine?  Are you still taking it?

If have been taking mirtazapine and Pristiq together then have a MAJOR interaction.  Please use the  Drug Interactions Checker and enter all the drugs you are currently taking and copy and paste the results here in a post in your intro topic.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are taking mirtazipine and Pristiq together, I would strongly suggest that you stop taking the Pristiq IMMEDIATELY.

This is the reason why I suggest that you stop the Pristiq:

Interactions between your drugs

Major

mirtazapine desvenlafaxine

Applies to: mirtazapine, Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Using mirtazapine together with desvenlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

• Administrator

Welcome, Moejoe. 

If I were you, I'd stop the Pristiq immediately.

Your doctor should not have prescribed it with mirtazapine.

What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was taking pristiq in am and martizopam inpm 

• 2 years later...

I have gradually tapered off 2.5 olanzopine. I have been off for a month now  and I still have anxiety and depression. I had anxiety and depression when I was on it. These drugs have never helped me at all. How long can these withdrawals last? I am also on lithium h200mg and anafrinal.  

I was put on these after the death of my son because I could not sleep and was totally overcome with grief. I still am. The pills on,y made things worse. 

thank you for any help. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

• ChessieCat changed the title to Moejoe: Zyprexa / olanzapine

@Moejoe I have merged your new intro topic with your existing thread.  That way your history is all in one place, which helps limit confusion.

Please assist us by following @ChessieCat's advice here. 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:32 AM, ChessieCat said:

Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

Details of your olanzapine taper will be helpful - dates and dosage changes.  Did you follow the recommended 10% taper rate?

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Moejoe said:

I have gradually tapered off 2.5 olanzopine. I have been off for a month now

As requested 3 years ago, please create your drug signature.  See what is required below.  Thank you.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, ChessieCat said: