kayjaydee

kayjaydee: clomipramine

kayjaydee

Reducing to 30mg tomorrow. Seem more or less OK on the 32.5, tho I do seem a bit lightheaded/unsteady, and possibly clumsier than usual. I guess that might relate to tapering....who knows, all kinds of things can cause those sort of feelings.

kayjaydee

Down to 25mg 2 days ago....fine so far.

kayjaydee

I've been holding at 25 mg for quite a while. My partner was recently diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, and we've had lots of medical appointments and stress; I basically feel I can do without the extra hassle of having to weigh out doses at present, so I'll continue tapering when things are more settled.

kayjaydee

Just about to start tapering again - my partner is stable at present on his treatment and is feeling fine, so things feel more settled (despite Covid19 - we're both retired, so no major stress from it, just going out as little as possible). I'm going to cut to 22.5mg from tonight.

kayjaydee

I'm finding it quite tricky weighing out powder from capsules - not sure of the accuracy as I get to smaller reductions. Wondering about dissolving the drug in water and using a syringe - is it OK to switch straight from, say a 25mg capsule to taking 90% of that dissolved in water? Do I recall something about the solution affecting you differently to a capsule?

brassmonkey

Clomipramine dissolves very nicely in water, so making the solution shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest making the switch to liquid while staying on the same dose.  This would throw one less variable into the mix.  Some people do have problems with using a homemade liquid and it is easier to tell if there isn't a reduction thrown at the same time.

The way the body absorbs the drug is different for the capsules and a liquid, this can sometimes cause problems for people trying to make the switch. The liquid will absorb faster and can give the body a "jolt" of drugs which can set off some symptoms. We also recommend a cross taper, taking part of the dose as capsule and part as liquid. Slowly decreasing the capsule while increasing the liquid over several weeks.  This tends to make the change over much smoother.

I have just learned of a syringe technique that would work very well for this medication and for making the cross taper.  If you are interested let me know and I'll write something up.