SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ a99: can I still heal with all this stress ?

We're looking at your question about reinstating.

For your more recent questions: People can heal if they weren't ill when on the drug; people heal if they were ill when on the drug. 

You mean the damage can be permanent for those who weren't ill and took the drug ? 

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a99

• scallywag

• Shep

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

It doesn't matter if one was "ill" or not before taking the drug, healing generally takes place very gradually.

Are you allergic to anything? A feeling of pressure or pain in the sinuses can be from allergies.

Are you taking any other drugs? Are you smoking? Do you drink alcohol?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It doesn't matter if one was "ill" or not before taking the drug, healing generally takes place very gradually.

Are you allergic to anything? A feeling of pressure or pain in the sinuses can be from allergies.

Are you taking any other drugs? Are you smoking? Do you drink alcohI

you mean someone who was perfectly normal but still took the drug and stopped it can heal ?

The pressure in in my head and not in the sinuses .

I'm not taking any drugs and I don't smoke nor drink alcohol .

• Moderator Emeritus

a99,

I know you are hurting and I know you are upset, but you need to try to calm down and think rationally about this.  Whatever the drug does to the brain chemistry it does for someone who was "ill" or "not ill".  Therefore, the healing process for someone who was "ill" or "not ill" will be exactly the same.  As we have advised many, many times, the serotonin hypothesis is a myth and people aren't "ill" because of decreased serotonin.  Therefore, whatever the drug was intended to do for someone who was "ill" it wasn't doing anyway.  The concepts of "ill" and "not ill" in this context are largely meaningless.  All of us who have been iatrogenically harmed by the meds are in the same boat, regardless of what our conditions were when we got in that boat.

You will heal just the same as anyone else who is healing from the meds.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

a99,

I know you are hurting and I know you are upset, but you need to try to calm down and think rationally about this.  Whatever the drug does to the brain chemistry it does for someone who was "ill" or "not ill".  Therefore, the healing process for someone who was "ill" or "not ill" will be exactly the same.  As we have advised many, many times, the serotonin hypothesis is a myth and people aren't "ill" because of decreased serotonin.  Therefore, whatever the drug was intended to do for someone who was "ill" it wasn't doing anyway.  The concepts of "ill" and "not ill" in this context are largely meaningless.  All of us who have been iatrogenically harmed by the meds are in the same boat, regardless of what our conditions were when we got in that boat.

You will heal just the same as anyone else who is healing from the meds.

Best,

Andy

Thank you so much your answer was really helpful .

But I'm gettig really disappointed since 29 months is a really really long time .

Alto and apace please what are your thoughts about reinstating this far out (29 months off ) ?

• Moderator Emeritus

We're looking at your question about reinstating.

For your more recent questions: People can heal if they weren't ill when on the drug; people heal if they were ill when on the drug. 

I think scallywag is saying that people can heal.  Please consider the potential changes that might occur with reinstatement at 29 months out........ or possible ?"sensitivities" that may result.......I mean the Prozac may not work the way it did the first time now.

Wishing you the best whatever you decide.

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto and apace please what are your thoughts about reinstating this far out (29 months off ) ?

It's a calculated risk a99.  Nobody can tell you that it's going to work at this stage, but it might.  I've seen it happen before but it is 50/50.  The question is whether your system will accept the medication and it will serve to quell the effects of withdrawal or whether your system has been sensitized to the medicine and it will not provide relief or, even worse, has an adverse effect.  Guessing at what the nervous system will do is really impossible.

If you did try this, I would suggest using a really low dose to see if there was any adverse impact.  If there was then discontinuing from a smaller dose would be easier.  If you have relief at a low level you would stay there.  If no relief after 4-5 days a very small increase could be tried.

Whatever you decide, a99, it's your call and I wish you the best.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Administrator

a99, have you tried fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

These can help odd head feelings.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

A99 - At this late date, it would not be a reinstatment, but a re-drugging.

after you try the fish oil, and magnesium - 

then let's see how you feel.

I'm really hesitant to suggest any substances, because the head pressure can be conflicted by so many things.  Maybe you study so hard and put so much pressure on yourself, that you carry your tension in your head (magnesium might address that).  I do that a lot.  It's called a "tension headache."  Sometimes it's caused by jaw pain (magnesium might help with that, too).  Sometimes it is constriction of the blood vessels through the neck (actually, stretching can help with this and the "tension headache")  Maybe the pressure is literal pressure in your life - you are in school and terrified that it's not going to work out, and all you feel is "pressure."  It's not "all in your head," like your doctor said - but it IS in your head that your symptoms happen the most.  Fish oil might help make your symptoms so "sticky," and might help move them on.

Were you put on the drugs because of headaches?

I'm deeply relieved by the "clear" MRI.

I agree with Alto - I would like to see you try the fish oil and magnesium before considering anything else.  Please read those threads, and learn about the best ways to take them.

If, in 2 weeks time, you have tried the fish oil and magnesium, then we can touch base then.

It is much better to try natural things before running back to the chemicals.  I also would love to hear what Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms you have tried and are attracted to, and would like to learn more about.

I'm sorry it's not a more satisfying answer, and I'm sorry you are in such distress.

I hope you get some relief today, and that you are present to feel it!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey A99 - I've been thinking about you all day, I hope you are doing okay.

I've thought of some exercises which might be helpful to reducing head pressure.

First, breathing:

Then neck stretches, to allow the pressure a path out of your head, and back into your body.

As you do these stretches, feel your head and heart connect - an essential part of being human, but one which is frequently denied in modern society.

I hope these can help you:

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

In addition to all of the other responses you've gotten, I just wanted to add to this because head pressure is something I've been dealing with and it's a horrible symptom that can make other symptoms worse, too.

Please read over the links that Alto left on fish oil and magnesium, as well as the wonderful videos JanCarol left. 

I choose to get my fish oil by eating fish, as opposed to supplements. So if you're hesitating on using supplements, you may wish to look onto getting Omega 3 through your diet. Also, I found that getting magnesium via epsom salt baths seemed to help with head pressure. Just the relaxation element helped, as well as helping with shoulder and neck stiffness that made the head pressure worse.

I'm wondering if you may be at one of those late-stage waves. Sometimes people experience worsening of symptoms before they get better, and at 29 months out, I would be very hesitant to reinstate. You may also be experiencing the extreme fatigue that a lot of us face as we go through this very long journey. It's only human to get worn out, and this can make any symptom seem worse than it may actually be. I've noticed that with some of my symptoms as the years go on. 

Although I'm only 15 months off all my meds, the head pressure wasn't a problem until I came off Klonopin in June 2014, which was 26 months ago. And I still have head pressure, although in the past few weeks, I've been getting a few partial windows.

For me, head pressure also comes with more cog fog, so just the mere act of thinking can make it worse. 

If you can tolerate magnesium, an epsom salt bath while listening to relaxing music or a mindfulness video may really help. 

Sending healing vibes your way. I hope you get some relief from this difficult symptom soon. 

What are your thoughts on taking a benzo to help with the unbearable anxiety ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, A99.

Benzos are very dangerous, and you can become dependent on them in only 2 weeks.  They are extremely difficult to taper off of and cause as many problems for people as antidepressant withdrawal. We do not recommend benzos to help with withdrawal. 

Has your anxiety been consistently this bad since you came off the AD or have you had some windows? How is your head pressure? 

Have you been able to use fish oil or magnesium, as mentioned previously? These help some people by calming the CNS. I would try these kinds of things instead of a benzo, especially since you're 29 months out from your AD. Again, this may be a late-stage wave and adding in new drugs can profoundly delay your healing. 

Hi a99 I read you thinking of starting on meds again . In the last 2 years I have thought about starting up again espeisally when I'm feeling very bad. Then I remember I'm not as bad as I was 8 months and do I really want to go through this hell if I want to go off again? Try and think of your improvements and is a bit of relieve now worth it in the long run.GOD BLESS

What are your thoughts on valerian root ? I can't take the anxiety anymore and I'm dealing with so many stressors .

• Moderator Emeritus

What are your thoughts on valerian root ? I can't take the anxiety anymore and I'm dealing with so many stressors .

A99,

Sorry about your anxiety. I know it sucks.

Valerian is a little controversial in my view. It's kind of like a "lower level benzo" and can produce a strong anxiolytic effect in some people (like a benzo). Because it hits the GABA receptors like a benzo, for some people it can create a dependence. If the choice is between a benzo and Valerian, the latter is better all day long. As a short-term effort to bridge anxiety I wouldn't be opposed to you trying it but others may well disagree. Per my signature I used it to help me get off my benzo.

Other possible anxiolytic herbs include passionflower, kava kava and holy basil. None are without risk but all can be effective so do your research and understand there is no "one size fits all."

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi a99:  Our thread on Valerian Root.

Another herbal that people investigate to relieve anxiety: Ashwaganda for anxiety.

Have a read and come back with your questions. :)

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

If I take a supplement or a herb that acts on the seretoin system without knowing it , would that stop the healing ?

I can't find epsom salt and I can't even buy it online .

Hi a99, I'm just about to order some epsom salt from this company: http://westlabsalts.co.uk/collections/pure-salts 

They say on the site that they do worldwide shipping so you could contact them and see if they'd ship to North Africa? 

Or try Amazon - they sell everything and ship to most places. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

• Moderator Emeritus

Adding a substance that acts on your CNS (central nervous system) -- unknowingly or intentionally --  will always pose the risk of further destabilization. :(

Have you been asking for "epsom salt"?  It may not be known as that where you live. Chemically it's magnesium sulfate, MgSO4 . It may help to ask for that.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Adding a substance that acts on your CNS (central nervous system) -- unknowingly or intentionally --  will always pose the risk of further destabilization. :(

But every supplements acts on the CNS and yet many are allowed in wd .

• Moderator Emeritus

a99: When you ask about supplementation, are you referring to this -- St. John's Wort?

It has helped me a little with my anxiety .

I tried a tablespoon of the herb and it helped a little . Is that dose safe ?

scallywag's Introduction

a99: When you ask about supplementation, are you referring to this -- St. John's Wort?

It has helped me a little with my anxiety .

I tried a tablespoon of the herb and it helped a little . Is that dose safe ?

Yes . :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, a99.

I'm not sure how much is in a tablespoon of this herb as I've only seen it in pill form, but I would be extremely cautious of it. Did you try only one tablespoon or have you been taking it for awhile? 

Please read over this thread carefully if you haven't already: St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)

In Alto's post to a member who needed to taper this supplement, she mentions the fact that this particular supplement is a MAOI and may require a restricted diet: 

Note: St. John's Wort is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). If you are taking it, you may have odd reactions to a substance called tyramine in some foods. You may wish to go on a restricted diet for MAOIs http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/expert-answers/maois/faq-20058035

So it may not just be the supplement that can cause problems, but other interactions with foods. All valid reasons for approaching supplements with extreme caution, especially with a very fragile CNS. 

I can relate to a lot of your symptoms - head pressure, memory problems, derealization, etc. are all on my list of symptoms, too. 

But you also have additional stress. You mentioned losing a beloved grandmother, dealing with parents, and not being able to continue on with your studies. These are all important issues, especially when you're only 20 years old. But you're going to have a great life with many, many wonderful drug free years ahead of you once this painful process is over with.

We don't know how long it will last, but as much as you can, reassure yourself that withdrawal is temporary. I sometimes read the Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal section to help reassure me. There really are a lot of happy endings. 

Sending healing vibes your way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey A99 - 

Sigh.

You resist the supportive supplements, like fish oil and magnesium, and reach for the questionable ones, like valerian and St. John's Wort.  In addition to the lukewarm reception Andy gave valerian, I would like to point out that valerian - like a benzo and other "calming aids" can go paradoxical.  It metabolizes in the same liver enzymes as other drugs, too.  

Please be careful.  Unless it is helping immensely, can you stop the St. John's Wort?

When I said "something natural," I was thinking along these lines.  I was thinking maybe NAC, to support your system and give you a boost (that's N-Acetyl Cysteine), or a tiny amount of 5HtP.

Even if the tablespoon is raw herb - that sounds like a lot.  Have you continued to take it?  Is it helping?  Would a teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon work as well?  I recognize you are desperate, but please be careful.  Everything you try counts as a "bounce" on your brain, and your brain is not a basketball - though it can continue bouncing for a long time after you 'bounce' it.

When depression is long term and relentless, in my own life, it has been because I am in a situation that needs to be changed.  A depression is a way of protecting yourself from harm, stress, or pressure.  Can you examine your life, and explore what you really want - and consider that what others may want you to do - is creating resistance in you?  What do you really want for yourself?  How does your current situation hamper that desire?

Throwing herbs and supplements at it - when you are a healthy 20 year old - is only teaching you to go to pills and tablets to ease your pain.  There are other ways to ease your pain - sometimes you have to leave your pain behind - whether that is school, or even finding a new living situation that your depression is pointing you to. 

I believe depression evolved as a mechanism to "save our lives," when the circumstances got dire.  You don't need to say it here - but can you get some therapy to explore your circumstances, and find out what your depression is trying to teach you?  

The best way is not to slap it around with pills and potions.  The best way is to learn what it is trying to teach you.  

Let us know what your plans are for the St. John's wort.  My concern for this drug is that it might increase head pressure.

Other natural options are:  NAC, or 5HtP.  Ashwaganda or Inositol for anxiety.  There are a few natural options, if you must.

Do you have an exercise program?  That helps many to burn out their anxiety, and focus away from their worries and rumination.

The links that Scallywag gave you are a good place to begin if you want to try herbal solutions.  

But I would encourage you to find brave solutions, instead:  to look the depression in the eye and ask it: what are you trying to teach me?

But every supplements acts on the CNS and yet many are allowed in wd .

Some items I've been using during my own withdrawal:

Amino Acids.

I've been taking some 

Tyrosine,. Theanine,. Taurine, and Arginine.

And the combination of such has resulted in mine own ability to handle things much better. It doesn't eliminate it. But they sure do take off a lot of the rough edges.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

• Moderator Emeritus

a99:  Regardless of which supplement you try to see if you get relief, please

• Try only one supplement at a time so that you know whether it is having an effect
  • Start with a very small amount, ⅛ or less of the amount recommended on the bottle/jar.
  • Increase in small amounts
  • Increase slowly no more frequently than every 4-5 days, so that you have time to see whether any negative effects arise

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you everyone for all your help I really appreciate it . I'm really sorry but  I'm too dysfunctional sometimes  even to read your replies or write mine . I ordered some epsom salt and I think I'll get it withing a week  . 3 days ago I started oral magnesium 400 mg . I don't know if I should give it more time to see if it helps or take a larger dose since my pressure in incredibly severe . I'll do that until I get the salt . I apologize for being so impatient but I'm just desperate for some relief .

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing on the magnesium, A99?

Do you eat fish?  Can you ask for more fish in your meals?

When you get the Magnesium and fish oil going, let's see how you feel.

Also - what non-drug techniques have you tried?

It is heartbreaking when you are offered a number of non-drug options to try, and you ask about benzo, risky herbs, and drugs instead.  Please, try some Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms.

You may also be helped by a post I recently wrote about Rumination and mindfulness:

JanCarol Rumination and Mindfulness

Many of us are helped by prayer.  Some of us have to change our lives in order to get relief.  Relentless depression can also sometimes be caused by biological causes:  thryroid or adrenal problems, poor sleep, poor diet, nutritional deficiencies (something like 40% of Americans are magnesium deficient, and Omega-3 deficient, too!), lack of exercise, and trauma, stress and pressure. (yes, I consider these last 3 to also be biological - it's proven that a stressed animal has a changed chemistry!).

Find what reduces your pressure, what reduces your stress.  Take a break from it.  You don't need to abandon your goals or your dreams - just let go for awhile, let yourself heal.  Pushing through will not get the results you want.

Easy, easy, just go easy on yourself!

If, in a few weeks (yes, just a few weeks) you are still struggling, I will look at supplements to see if you can find something which will help you.  But wait and see how well the mag and fish oil will help first.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, a99.

I agree with what the others are saying regarding supplements. Eating fish has really helped me the most, and I'm hoping you'll find epsom salt baths to be helpful, too. 

Have you tried lying down, closing your eyes, and listening to guided meditations to help with the head pressure? I found that to be very helpful. It doesn't eliminate this symptom, just makes it more bearable.

This is a short 10 minute guided body scan meditation than may help relax your body, and in turn, relax your mind and help with pain. 

Guided Meditation: 10 minute Guided Body Scan Meditation

I also like to close my eyes and listen to calming music with nature sounds, such as this video:

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata with Relaxing Nature Sounds

Head pressure from withdrawal is intense and makes everything else so difficult. I hope you keep your supplements to the minimum and not compound the problem.

You are doing so well to be so far off your meds. Give it a bit more time, and I hope you start seeing some windows soon. 

Sending healing vibes your way. 

I hope you are doing well. I ct'ed off 40mg's of paxil. I was on it 15 yrs, tho only 40mg's for 6 most or so, the other years it was 25mg.

Head pressure was bad...hated it. Now I don't get it as bad but it comes with the waves. I'm almost 3 yrs out.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Please what does hepthahydrate mean when it comes to epsom salt ? 

Are all epsom salts hepthahydrate ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi a99

I've just done a google search on it and found this in wikipedia:

Magnesium sulfate is an inorganic salt (chemical compound) containing magnesium, sulfur and oxygen, with the formula MgSO4. It is often encountered as the heptahydrate sulfate mineral epsomite (MgSO4·7H2O), commonly called Epsom salt, taking its name from a bitter saline spring in Epsom in Surrey, England, where the salt was produced from the springs that arise where the porous chalk of the North Downs meets non-porous London clay.

According to this Epsom Salt is the common (everyday) name for heptahydrate sulfate mineral epsomite.  I've learned something new today :)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi a99,

The head pressure that you are currently experiencing will go away in time.

I too experienced head pressure, burning at the front and at the back of my head.

I felt really bad stiffness in my neck as if someone was pushing my neck down.

It does go away.

I don't have it any more. It is frustrating when symptoms persist, but it does get better.

Don't loose hope and learn to be patient.

Try not to dwell on your symptoms, which I know it is hard. But as the time passes, you will see some symptoms diminish.

You have come this far and endured so much, it would be a shame to see you reinstate and risk making your self feel even worse.

You are almost there. If you can find strength within your self to keep going.Things can dramatically change for the better in 6 months time.

Give it a go and reasses.

It will be 3 years for me since I had a bad reaction from Zoloft and I am getting better everyday.

Accept it and roll with it. That is the only way forward.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(