SkyStreamer

SkyStreamer: tapering off Cipralex / escitalopram safely

SkyStreamer

@Carmie - looks like you're a big fan of the era and class novels. I always struggled with these, but have read a few I liked. My son really likes Dickens. I've never read any of his books, but maybe I should give one or two a try.  

That baseball novel by John Grisham sounds like it might be a good one for me. :) I like baseball, so I might enjoy it - especially if Grisham is an exciting writer, as you say. I'll check it out. 

Yes, books with a legal theme can be exciting. You must have loved watching that Netflix docuseris: "Making a Murderer." I don't usually like intense legal documentaries, but I actually found this one really interesting. I heard he just recently got approved to have his case evidence re-examined by a new court judge. This will likely be the third instalment - eventually.

Thanks for the hugs. Really appreciate that.

Carmie
5 hours ago, SkyStreamer said:

@Carmie - looks like you're a big fan of the era and class novels. I always struggled with these, but have read a few I liked. My son really likes Dickens. I've never read any of his books, but maybe I should give one or two a try.  

That baseball novel by John Grisham sounds like it might be a good one for me. :) I like baseball, so I might enjoy it - especially if Grisham is an exciting writer, as you say. I'll check it out. 

Yes, books with a legal theme can be exciting. You must have loved watching that Netflix docuseris: "Making a Murderer." I don't usually like intense legal documentaries, but I actually found this one really interesting. I heard he just recently got approved to have his case evidence re-examined by a new court judge. This will likely be the third instalment - eventually.

Thanks for the hugs. Really appreciate that.

Hi again SkyStreamer, 

No, I haven’t watch Making A Murderer, but I do love legal stuff, especially the John Grisham novels.  He’s actually a lawyer and nearly every one of his novels has become a best seller, if not all. They’re not all about murder though. I do like murder mysteries, but I like the ones like Poirot where you have to guess who did it. I don’t like things that have extreme violence in them. I like the solving of it afterwards. I never watch anything rated MA. 

Yes, you might find the baseball book good, I couldn’t continue it. Didn’t have a clue what he was talking about. It’s called Calico Joe. 

Your son has good taste if he likes Charles Dickens. 😄

Here’s to continuing to find distractions that help us get through withdrawals.

Take care💚

SkyStreamer

Day Summary: 03/14/2019

- Lower anxiety
- Got severe allergies for 3 hrs at bedtime (10pm-1am)

NIGHT: slept 9 hrs; woke up once briefly; went back to sleep
7:30am: woke; very tired; exhausted; low anxiety (4/10)
8am: 45 mins prayer & meditation; low anxiety (3/10)
9am: took 7.5mg of Cipralex pill
10:30am-12noon: work; medium anxiety (5.5/10)
12noon: 15 mins downtime; tv
12:15pm: 30 mins prayer & meditation
2:15pm: 45 mins walking; low anxiety (4.5/10)
3:30pm-5pm: work; medium anxiety (5.5/10)
5:30pm-6:30pm: work; medium anxiety (5.5/10)
7pm-8:30: family dinner; family time; higher anxiety (7/10); wife came home stressed & irritable
9pm: 45 mins prayer & meditation
10:15pm: went to bed; got horrible allergies for 3 hours straight; so stuffed and clogged; couldn’t fall asleep until close to 1am; first time this has ever happened at night

SkyStreamer

I got severe allergies last night when I went to bed. I got in my bed at 10am, prepared to sleep. Then, suddenly - WHAM - I was hit by severe allergies. Stuffed and runny nose with sneezing for 3 hours stressed straight (10pm-1am). First time this has ever happened.

Can someone look at this last day summary of my symptoms above and see if there is anything in my day that might account for this?

Only things that seem relevant to me are:

• I just started juicing twice a day for the last week (am still eating food with each meals, though smaller portions)
  • I just eliminated intense exercise; now I mainly do light walking
  • My wife came home last night very stressed and irritable (just before the allergies); we had been fighting the last two days as well
  • I struggle with fears of nightmares, especially as I approach bedtime

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

SkyStreamer

Thanks for these links, @ChessieCat

powerback
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:37 AM, SkyStreamer said:

I struggle with fears of nightmares, especially as I approach bedtime

Hi Sky I can relate to this ,be careful what you watch before bed ,no violence or over dramatic material ,ground yourself during the day ,saying" im ok and safe" ,get mindful of your thoughts and change the thought  ,its a nightmare when we get things stuck in our head .

even maybe journal your dreams/nightmares ,gets it out of your thoughts .

Youl be ok,ive had some cracking nightmares  now I look back ,haven't had a bad one in a while .

Take  care.

Take  care.  

SkyStreamer

Hi @powerback !

Thanks for your comments. I've heard others say that watching violent or gory shows before bed can affect your sleep and dreams. For some reason, I've always found that hard to believe. But, maybe you're right. I'll try and become a bit more aware of this connection. Most of my nightmares seem to occur after a day when I did a lot of exercise. So, I have recently decreased the intensity and lengths of my exercise. This seems to be helping right now. 

On another note - what helps you stay calm and relaxed the most, on a daily basis? And, what helps you get through withdrawal and wave periods?

SkyStreamer

Please help!! I've recently developed severe chapped lips. It's gotten to the point where they crack, swell up and blister with occasional pus. I usually get eczema on my hands, face and lips every winter. But, I've never gotten it this bad on my lips. 

I've tried everything: lip balm, vaseline; salt water; and steriod cortizone cream (0.1%). The salt water seems to stop it in its tracks, but does not heal it. The steriod cortizone cream seems to heal it. But as soon as I stop the  cream, the lip eczema comes back.

Can someone help me out with these related questions:

1. Can lip eczema be a form of withdrawal?

2. Is steriod corizone cream (0.1%) ok to use when tapering off antidepressants?

3. Any other suggestions as to how to heal my lips?

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

SkyStreamer

Hi @Altostrata - Can you help me with these questions?

powerback
On 3/21/2019 at 1:50 PM, SkyStreamer said:

Please help!! I've recently developed severe chapped lips. It's gotten to the point where they crack, swell up and blister with occasional pus. I usually get eczema on my hands, face and lips every winter. But, I've never gotten it this bad on my lips. 

I've tried everything: lip balm, vaseline; salt water; and steriod cortizone cream (0.1%). The salt water seems to stop it in its tracks, but does not heal it. The steriod cortizone cream seems to heal it. But as soon as I stop the  cream, the lip eczema comes back.

Can someone help me out with these related questions:

1. Can lip eczema be a form of withdrawal?

2. Is steriod corizone cream (0.1%) ok to use when tapering off antidepressants?

3. Any other suggestions as to how to heal my lips?

Eczema is connected to the imune system being stressed so depending on stressors it will come and go regarding stress.withdrawl is a stressor so its all connected.

I use an organic  topical cream when my sciriosis flares up on my hands.

Pus means infection ,go to a health store and see what they have  ,its were I got my cream .

Its sounds really anoying.

Its just dawned on me after my own debacle this week ,I think I can dish out advice,oh the irony is not lost on me,but I have had great results with that cream though.

Altostrata

Sorry, I have not yet taken up dermatology.

Perhaps @WiggleIt has suggestions.

ChessieCat

I've suffered from dry and cracked skin over the years and have found Bayer Am-o-Lin Baby Cream has been the best at softening and healing cracks.  It contains almond oil and zinc oxide.

Because it heals and protects it is something that you could reapply throughout the day.  You would only need to smear it on so it wouldn't be visible.  Your lips might just be a tiny bit shiny.

Am-o-Lin-Nappy-Rash-Cream-100g

• Oil rich cream
  • Longer lasting protection
  • Prevents nappy rash and minor skin irritations
  • Treats minor skin irritations including minor sunburn

SkyStreamer
On 3/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, powerback said:

Eczema is connected to the imune system

Thanks for sharing! Much appreciated!

SkyStreamer
22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Sorry, I have not yet taken up dermatology.

ok - thanks for letting me know!

SkyStreamer
17 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I've suffered from dry and cracked skin over the years and have found Bayer Am-o-Lin Baby Cream has been the best at softening and healing cracks . . . 

Thanks for this suggestion, CC! I'll look into this. 

SkyStreamer

I'm in a very difficult and dark state at the moment.

Things have been very stressful lately. My wife has been very negative and angry. She has also been ignoring me for the last 4 days. In addition, I've been worried about a specific health issue that recently came up. I'm getting a test done tomorrow to rule out anything serious. This has been the most stressful of all!!

Then, yesterday, after walking at my normal pace and time, I found myself feeling exhausted, tired, and depressed. This was the second day in-a-row that I felt like this after walking. Because of this, I got angry and very discouraged. A mini tantrum of sorts. This transferred over into my sleep at night, which was horrible. I had a lot of nightmares, and was waking up every 20 or 30 mins or so. 

This morning I woke up completely exhausted and negative. So, I decided to take it easier today by walking at a snail's pace and for half the time I usually do. But, surprisingly,  I still ended up feeling exhausted and tired again. Although I didn't get as depressed this time, I did have more anxiety, and I also started having discouraging negative thoughts for about 1 hr afterwards.

Right now, I feel discouraged as h**l! Am I not supposed to move my body at all?? At this point, I feel like I have only two options (both of which are morbid and unhopeful):  (1) Continue to walk and watch as my nervous system implodes or self-destructs; or (2) curl up in the fetal position and watch as my body and brain slowly deteriorate from a sedentary life. 

Sassenach

Hi

Getting off escitalopram too.

I know everyone says it but just hang in there it will get better.

Refuse to let bad thoughts enter your head.

Think back to good times, and keep doing it again and again if necessary, drive the bad thoughts away.

I agree with Powerback I still cannot watch violence or suspense in the evenings it affects my sleep.

Keep going you will get there.

jozeff

Hi skystreamer,

I'm sorry that you are having trouble right now.  What healthy issue are you referring to if I might ask? 

I had some serious experiences in the past. Feeling anxious and scared as hell that something is wrong. My environment (wife) was getting upset with me always thinking about my health. This can be very annoying for people but your symptoms will not go away.

Remember that many Health issue may be caused by mental issues. I've had short breath, high blood pressure, high glucose, heart palpitations, chest pressure all caused by thoughts and stress.

I hope you will be better soon! Sending you strength and wisdom.

Cheers

Jozeff

Altostrata

Keep on walking and cope with feeling tired. Your system needs time to rebalance.

Symptoms from withdrawal come and go. You may feel like this for a few days, then feel much better, then have a new, distressing symptom. This is all very frustrating. Most people here have experienced this. You must do what you can to stay calm and take care of yourself. Read these again:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

The importance of recognizing you're feeling good

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

SkyStreamer

2 hours ago, Sassenach said:

Getting off escitalopram too . . .

Thanks Sassenach! Even though I've heard it before, it's still nice coming from another caring person. These little notes of encouragement are helpful. How much escitalopram are you on? And, for how long?

@jozeff - yes, it is very annoying when your spouse mostly upset all the time. Our relationship has been a never-ending UP and DOWN battle. Sometimes, I don't know what's worse: DOWN periods with my wife or withdrawal. 

@Altostrata - thanks so much for your advice! I really need all the encouragement I can get right now.  You're right - it makes sense to keep walking and just try my best to cope. It's just scary and worrisome sometimes, especially when I'm outside by myself. During these times, my brain keeps telling me that I'm going down hill fast without any hope of ever going up hill ever again. It's amazing how adversarial this mind of ours is. It's too strong for me to battle or engage with it. I just have to try not to give it much attention. By the way, can the windows and wave pattern still apply in my case, given that I only tapered off 2.5mg of my dose over a two month period? For some reason, I always associate this patter with those who either cold turkey or those who quickly dropped a larger portion of their dose.

Altostrata

Yes, windows and waves apply when you're tapering too fast.