SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sarahlou: my Effexor hell

Sarahlou

Effexor is horrific. InOctober at 150mg I became suicidal, impulsive and constantly sick. I was so so desperate to get off the drug I went cold turkey. Big mistake. I developed discontinuation syndrome. Fever, tremors, night terrors, hives flu-like symptoms. I was vomiting constantly. Got to the point I couldn’t keep down water. By day 6 I had to be hospitalized with severe dehydration and exhaustion. Was immediately hooked up to an IV to replace fluids and given anti-sickness meds. I was put back on the drug at a lower dose and advise to taper down over 10 days. By day 3 my body was craving that medication. Went my General practioner and understood I would have to taper off Effexor slowly. It’s now December 29th I’ve been off the drug for 11 days. Still suffering withdrawals, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anxiety, mood swings, crying for no reason . Pray this ends soon. 

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Sarahlou: my Effexor hell
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sarahlou,

Welcome to SA.  The only known way to reduce withdrawal symptoms is to take a small amount of the drug you were last taking.  Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

To help us out, please create a drug signature so that we will be better able to offer suggestions about what dose you could reinstate.  Keep it simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

Once we have more details of the dates and doses we will be better able to assist you.  This is your own Introduction topic which is the place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management