phillyfan24: Lexapro taper too fast/reinstatement too high a dose?

phillyfan24

Hello all! I will try to make this nice and short. I have been on lexapro 20mg for about 5 years with great success. However, I recently had been constantly tired, sleeping 10 hours at night, and 3 hours during the day. I got blood work and a sleep study, all negative, so i suspected my medication. This had made things difficult, so i decided to talk to my doctor, who recommended reducing the dose to 15mg. This had went well for the most part, but i began to feel foggy, so he recommended switching to prozac. Here is how he switched me:

Week 1: 15mg lexapro, 20 mg prozac

Week 2: 10mg lexapro, 20 mg prozac

Week 3: 5mg lexapro, 20 mg prozac

Week 4: 20 mg prozac only

I have been on 20mg prozac only for ~1 weeks, and it has been hell. I have had insomnia, increased depression/anxiety, but most severely, I have had intense brain fog. I have trouble remembering anything. I am in my final year of physical therapy school, in my final clinical rotation, and it has 100% affected my performance. I struggle with simply remembering what my patients have already done, remembering their names, remembering techniques I have learned, etc. 

I am thinking this intense brain fog is mostly due to coming off the lexapro so quickly after being on it for so long, combined with a small amount of prozac side effects. 

Sooo, my question is this: Do i stick it out with the prozac and hope my body gets used to it? Do i jump from 20mg of prozac to 40mg (my doctor said it is up to me?), Or do i go back to taking my 20mg of lexapro, and gradually tapering my medication properly using the 10% rule. I am leaning to doing this, but feel terrible, as its like I am addicted to these medications to simply function. But at the same time, this is the most important part of my young career, as suceeding in clinical rotation leads to job offers and is necessary to even graduate. 

Any advice is greater appreciated!!

~2013 - aug 7th, 2018 = ~5 years 20 mg lexapro   aug 7th - oct 4th 2018 = 15 mg lex

oct 5th 2018 Began switch to prozac (decrease lex by 5mg while increase prozac by 5mg)

oct 26th-Nov 10th 2018- 20mg prozac, reinstated 5mg lexapro

November 10th-November 30th 2018- 15mg lexapro (Switched back to lex as thought symptoms were due to prozac)

November 30th-dec 7th 2018= 17.5mg lexapro

Dec 7th- Jan 1st 2019- 20mg Lexapro and 10mg buspar (BEGIN BUSPAR)

Jan 1st-Jan 21st 2019- tapered off buspar, 20mg lexapro

Jan 21st - Apr 9th  2019= 20mg lexapro  ----- Apr 9th-May 1st 17.5mg ----------May-June =15mg

June 7th - July27th 2019= 20mg celexa ------- July 28th-jan 26th 2020 - tapered to 14mg celexa

jan 27th-feb 27 2020- 10mg trintellix; feb 27th - april 20 = 20mg trintellix; april 20-22 - 17.5mg trintellix; april 23rd-24th=20mg trintellix. April 24-present = 18mg trintellix

• ChessieCat changed the title to phillyfan: Really need help with medication switch...think doctor may be wrong
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phillyfan24

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Gridley

• Administrator

Welcome, philly.

Sometimes these drug switches don't work. You can have withdrawal symptoms from the first drug even though you're taking the second.

Were you better when you were taking 5mg Lexapro with 20mg Prozac? Do you have any Lexapro left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hello altostrata!

I would say that I really noticed my increases in DP/DR over the past two weeks, and now that i think about it 2 weeks ago is when i stopped taking the last of the lexapro and just prozac. 

I do have lexapro left, and was thinking trying to take 5mg lexapro with 20mg prozac, but i feel bad that I will now be on two medications. Will this make it harder to come off in the future? Should i continue taking the prozc at all or just take like 10mg of lexapro? i have read a study that says 20mg prozac is equal to 9 mg lexapro, so I'm just so lost on what dose I should try, should i stick to one medication only and take a larger dose, or stick to 2?

I am so upset at myself that I didnt research this and do a slow taper as opposed to blindly listening to my doctor. 

~2013 - aug 7th, 2018 = ~5 years 20 mg lexapro   aug 7th - oct 4th 2018 = 15 mg lex

oct 5th 2018 Began switch to prozac (decrease lex by 5mg while increase prozac by 5mg)

November 10th-November 30th 2018- 15mg lexapro (Switched back to lex as thought symptoms were due to prozac)

Jan 21st - Apr 9th  2019= 20mg lexapro  ----- Apr 9th-May 1st 17.5mg ----------May-June =15mg

June 7th - July27th 2019= 20mg celexa ------- July 28th-jan 26th 2020 - tapered to 14mg celexa

jan 27th-feb 27 2020- 10mg trintellix; feb 27th - april 20 = 20mg trintellix; april 20-22 - 17.5mg trintellix; april 23rd-24th=20mg trintellix. April 24-present = 18mg trintellix

• Administrator

I would add 5mg Lexapro, see how you do for a week, then gradually reduce the Prozac to at least 15mg or even 10mg.

When you say Lexapro wasn't "working" any more, what do you mean?

At least your doctor cross-tapered, which is better than many of them. Not many doctors understand that a switch doesn't always work.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

thanks altostrata, appreciate the advice. 

With lexapro, i shouldnt say that it stopped working, it's that the side effects (mainly just sleeping way too much) were too much to deal with. Once i was reduced to 15mg, the brain fog, DP/DR began to come about, which alarmed me enough to see my doctor who recommended switching to prozac. 

He has said that I can take 1 pill or increase to 2 pills of prozac after i had weaned off the lexapro. i have a feeling he will return my message and tell me to up my dosage to 40mg of prozac, but I am going to do the 20mg of prozac with 5mg of lexapro and hopefully the brain fog can go away! 

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to update and seek continued advice:

So I think I may have messed up. I did initially add 5 mg lexapro which helped ALOT, but the brain fog/DP/DR was still there. I gave that a solid 2, and was still having the side effects so I decided to stop the prozac and just go back to 15mg of Lexapro. After speaking to doctor and explaining everything, he said that this cognitive state was likely due to increased stress/anxiety with start of final clinical rotations AND NOT too fast a taper. He said we should go back to what worked, 20mg of Lexapro, but he also added buspar. I ensured to do some questioning about dependence, etc and did some research and decided to take it when it wasnt a benzo. 

SO as of today, My brain fog/DR/DP is back to its worst state. I am unable to remmeber what I do from my patients the day before, I forget what I did 15 min ago, i am just in a fog all day. The thing is I do not feel any anxiety anymore, and the only depression is due to concern about this being permanent. my sleep has also gotten much worse, which it has been (and was why i decided to see my doctor and this all happened), but now i notice it more. I got a smartwatch for xmas and have been tracking sleep, and my sleep quality is always 50-60%, and my range of REM sleep has been 8-13%, which i know should be 25%ish. I had a sleep study last year for sleep apnea (was neg), but data showed I also had about 10% REM sleep. So is my brain fog/DP/DR a part of sleep deprivation due to medication, or is due to coming off medication too quickly?

Also, what do you guys recommend i do? i have been on 20mg Lexapro at night (should i try mornings?) and 10mg buspar for 23 days. Should I continue this longer? Should i reduce lexapro and by how much?

Thank you for all that you do and offering advice!

I was on 20mg lexapro for approximately 5years. Everything was great, except i was constantly fatigued and slept ~13 hours everyday. Now that I have graduated college and in work force, I went back to doctor and he recommended 15mg Lexapro. this helped, but i began to have some DR/DP. I was on this for about a month with no improvements, so he tapered me off the lexapro (5mg reduction weekly) in a month and switched to 10mg prozac. DP/DR/brain fog was the worst thing I have ever experienced. I reinstated 5mg lexapro with 10mg prozac, which def helped. I was concerned however about being on two SSRI medications, and decided to go back to 15mg Lexapro on my own. Took this for a few weeks, and at doctor's appt he upped me back to 20mg and said these effects were due to increased anxiety due to new job, so he also added 10 mg buspar. I have been on this for a month. I am still suffering from pretty severe dp/dr/brain fog and fatigue, and my sleep has been very poor during this entire process. I wish i had found this site sooner but I am ready to stabilize myself and taper off the medications using 10% rule. 

My questions from this great community:

1) What should i do in regard to medication amounts to best stabilize?

2) After reading up on forums, I realize I reinstated too much. Should i drop down to 17.5mg lexapro, or continue riding out 20mg?

Thank you sooo sooo much!

• ChessieCat changed the title to BDN24: Lexapro taper too fast/reinstatement too high a dose?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:23 AM, BDN24 said:

My questions from this great community:

1) What should i do in regard to medication amounts to best stabilize?

2) After reading up on forums, I realize I reinstated too much. Should i drop down to 17.5mg lexapro, or continue riding out 20mg?

From your signature, you reduced down to 17.5 mg from Nov 24th - Dec 3rd. You mentioned having symptoms and that led to an updose back up to 20 mg Lexapro and an additional drug, Buspar being added in, but your symptoms could have also been from the previous rapid taper, as well as the 11 days trial of adding in Prozac. You may need to hold and stabilize before attempting to reduce again. 

Lexapro is an extremely potent antidepressant, and going from 20 mg to 17.5 mg is a 12.5% reduction, which was likely too much, especially for a potent antidepressant. 

Please note there is a potential "major" interaction between Buspar and Lexapro. From the Drug Interaction Checker:

Interactions between your drugs

Major

busPIRone  escitalopram

Applies to: BuSpar (buspirone), Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using busPIRone together with escitalopram can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, feverexcessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nauseavomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Here are some helpful links to get you started: 

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Tips for tapering off busipirone (Buspar)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Also, please let us know if the buspar is helping or not. You've only been on it a month, so if it's not helping, you may want to address that drug first as your dependency is likely to be less and with a potential drug interaction, it may be worth coming off first before tackling the Lexapro. 

Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask plenty of questions. As you continue to provide information, we can help you set up a game plan for coming off these drugs. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name (BDN)

Shep,

thank you for your response! I do feel like the buspar is working, as my anxiety is noticeably lessened. However, my goal is to get off of meds and if it’s better to taper now I’m willing to do that. My goal right now is to just stabilize. I really want the DP/DR to clear up as it is effecting my work. I have been on the 20mg lex and 10mg buspar for about a month now (25 days to be exact). The DP/DR has been steady with no windows. Would you recommenced I stay on this regimen until the DP/DR goes away, or should I begin to taper? I have purchased a scale to effectively weigh out and follow the 10% method. 

Also, that drug interaction scares me! What is the communities recommended course of action regarding these interactions?

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your quick response.

I'm usually working with benzodiazepine tapers, so I'm not as familiar with Lexapro as the other moderators. I already reported your thread so they know to check in with you when they are next online. 

Since it's a holiday, you may not get a response today. In the meantime, if you could start a drug and symptoms journal, that would help them when they are online and can better assist you. Here's the format we request:

On 9/28/2016 at 4:49 AM, Altostrata said:

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs, we need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day: Are symptoms worse at any particular times of day?

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning, with time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon, with time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening, with time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night, with time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown above.

Please do not use spreadsheets, they are difficult to read online and some of us don't have Microsoft Excel to look at them.

Edited by ChessieCat
fixed typo shep/cc removed member name (BDN)

Thank you Shep! I greatly appreciate all your help. I will begin the symptom diary and will patiently wait for the others to chime in with their advice.

• Administrator

Hi, phillyfan. Did your sleep get worse after you went back to 20mg Lexapro? How many hours of sleep are you getting?

As you've been taking Buspar only since December 7, I would quickly taper off by quarters of a tablet every 4 days. It could be adding to your brain fog, and your doctor's reasoning was incorrect: Your symptoms are not from an increase in situational anxiety (are you a medical student?) but from drug changes.

I would also move Lexapro to the morning gradually, by an hour or 2 every day.

When you go on and off psychiatric drugs, your nervous system becomes sensitized to the drugs and often supplements and even foods. It's possible that now 20mg Lexapro is too much for you now and is too stimulating. (It's possible 20mg Prozac was too high a dose as well.) A little goes a long way with a sensitized nervous system.

As this is a site for going off drugs, we don't ordinarily counsel people through side effects and drug switches unless they intend to taper off the drugs. Unfortunately, physicians are poorly informed about adverse reactions of all types, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

I'm just doing some housekeeping here today and discovered that you have 2 introductions going.

Merged your old with the new.

phillyfan24 is now BDN24 for all purposes.

Mod decision to keep your original user name of phillyfan24.

One introduction topic per member only.

Thankyou.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by ChessieCat
use original user name MMT/cc removed member name (BDN)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• manymoretodays changed the title to phillyfan24: Lexapro taper too fast/reinstatement too high a dose?
4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hi, phillyfan. Did your sleep get worse after you went back to 20mg Lexapro? How many hours of sleep are you getting?

As you've been taking Buspar only since December 7, I would quickly taper off by quarters of a tablet every 4 days. It could be adding to your brain fog, and your doctor's reasoning was incorrect: Your symptoms are not from an increase in situational anxiety (are you a medical student?) but from drug changes.

I would also move Lexapro to the morning gradually, by an hour or 2 every day.

When you go on and off psychiatric drugs, your nervous system becomes sensitized to the drugs and often supplements and even foods. It's possible that now 20mg Lexapro is too much for you now and is too stimulating. (It's possible 20mg Prozac was too high a dose as well.) A little goes a long way with a sensitized nervous system.

As this is a site for going off drugs, we don't ordinarily counsel people through side effects and drug switches unless they intend to taper off the drugs. Unfortunately, physicians are poorly informed about adverse reactions of all types, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

Altostrata, 

thank you for your advice. Just want to make it clear that i 100% want to taper and get off these medications. I have just been trying to stabilize my system since it had gotten so worse after stopping the medications. I am a physical therapy student in my final rotations, so I am basically working full time at this point but am constanly being scrutinized. I felt braindead which is why I decided to reinstate.  I agree that it is clearly due to the drug changes now.

I would say that sleeping is roughly the same that I can remember 17.5mg and 20mg. As per my sleep, this had been an ongoing problem. Last year I was constantly fatigued, sleeping 10 hours per night and then napping for hours during the day. I got a sleep study and was found to be negative for apnea, but noted that I only received 7% REM sleep. Monitoring my sleep on my smartwatch (I know not that accurate), I am consistently getting adequate sleep (8 hours), but I am always below 15% REM sleep. I know that lexapro can interfere with REM sleep. 

I have been in the process of moving my lexapro to the morning, as I have always taken it at night. 

I am going to begin tapering off the buspar. I have been taking 5mg morning and 5mg night. Should I take a quarter off each tab, or off one tab every four days? 

Also, should I keep lexapro the same, or decrease to 17.5? 

thank you so much for all your help

• Administrator

I'd take a quarter off each Buspar tab. Keep the Lexapro dosage the same.

36 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I will do this and continue to keep updating this thread. Thank you guys so much for ur help 

On 1/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, Altostrata said:

I have been following the tapering for buspar, and am now down to 1/2 tab in morning and 1/2 tab at night. (5mg total). No new symptoms. My DP/DR/brain fog have been consistently the same, 100% of the time. No windows or waves, steady all day. I have moved lexapro gradually up and am taking it around noon now, will continue to move until taking it in morning. 

Alto, what's your thinking after I get off the buspar? do you think I should begin tapering the lexapro, or stay steady to see if symptoms clear up then taper? I am curious if maybe my body is rejecting the reinstatement or I went back to too high a dose. 

• Administrator

Since you've separated the Lexapro, are you able to identify any symptom pattern occurring in the hours after you take it?

I'd continue to taper Buspar. When is your next reduction? Could be that going off Buspar entirely reduces the brain fog. If not, we can address the Lexapro dosing.

49 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Since you've separated the Lexapro, are you able to identify any symptom pattern occurring in the hours after you take it?

I'd continue to taper Buspar. When is your next reduction? Could be that going off Buspar entirely reduces the brain fog. If not, we can address the Lexapro dosing.

Hey alto great to hear from you!

I not noticed anything different in the hours after taking lexapro. My DP/DR/brain fog is consistently at the same level the entire day.

I just reduced to half a dose, and my next reduction will be wednesday night where i will be taking quarter in morning and quarter at night. I am really hoping that the brain fog will go away when i am off the buspar but am not hopeful since i had it prior to beginning buspar. 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, phillyfan24 said:

I just reduced to half a dose, and my next reduction will be wednesday night where i will be taking quarter in morning and quarter at night. I am really hoping that the brain fog will go away when i am off the buspar but am not hopeful since i had it prior to beginning buspar. 

At least the Buspar will be out of the way as a confounding factor.

To taper Lexapro, you'll want to get a prescription for 15mg in Lexapro tablets (10mg tablets + 5mg tablets) plus the Lexapro liquid. To get insurance coverage for the odd dosages, your doctor probably will have to specify that Lexapro is to be taken twice a day.

Check with your insurance about this. If they don't cover the liquid or if it's prohibitively expensive, you can make your own liquid from a 5mg tablet. See Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Update:

I am on 1/4 buspar morning and night (2.50 mg total) since Wednesday. I must say I am now getting new symptoms, which are:

- Increased fatigue throughout the day. I am constantly yawning, at least once every 10 min. It is so bad that coworkers have noticed and make jokes about it. 

- I had a crying episode where i opened up to a friend about what was going on. I never cry, so this was really really weird. 

- Lastly, my DP/DR/brain fog has increased =(

My symptoms are still consistent throughout the day, but i have noticed that I am more awake after I go to the gym following work (unfornuately i am unable to go to gym before).  

I have finished my 2nd clinical rotation (and passed! - somehow), and have AN ENTIRE WEEK OFF prior to my last (and most important) rotation. The most terrifying thing is i don't enjoy clinicals at all. I no longer have any passion for the field i chose, and i feel like i know nothing. I really really really hope that this all changes once i get myself under control. 

Tomorrow is my next dose reduction for my buspar. @Altostrata, you had mentioned going down in quarters. since i am taking a quarter in morning and at night, would your next dose reduction be taking 1 quarter a day, or taking none at all? And should i stay steady on the 20mg Lex until I stabilize and symptoms completely go away, or begin tapering????

I do not know how to feel about where i am at. Part of me wishes I had just never reinstated, as i am having classic "WD" symptoms even though I am still taking my lexapro that I was previously. Its almost like if i am having these symptoms, why dont i just begin tapering off lexapro? i also do not know how to feel about these new symptoms, as they are getting worse (i may remember reading somewhere that new symptoms are a sign of healing?). BUT I am super glad to have this next week off to sleep, workout, and relax my brain. 

Lastly, I have an update with my doctor on Monday. i am terrified. I am going to ask for the liquid version of lexapro and tell him I am planning on tapering off. I know he is going to try to push another med on me, and blame these symptoms on anxiety and depression. He doesnt seem to listen to me when i tell him the only reason i am depressed at this point is because of these symptoms. But if he does not prescribe liquid, he will be losing a patient. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find it helpful to write a script and rehearse what you are going to say.  Be calm, gentle but assertive.  You are the customer, it is your body.  Use words like I'd like to try this.  If a suggestion is made that you don't want to follow, say I'd like to think about it before making a decision.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

As long as he prescribes the liquid, you can make do by cutting a 20mg tablet in half and taking part of your dose in liquid.

Are you feeling better or worse since you've reduced Buspar? When did this sleepiness start in relation to your Buspar dosage changes? Is this a tolerable symptom?

Do you find Buspar stimulating or calming?

7 hours ago, phillyfan24 said:

Tomorrow is my next dose reduction for my buspar. @Altostrata, you had mentioned going down in quarters. since i am taking a quarter in morning and at night, would your next dose reduction be taking 1 quarter a day, or taking none at all? And should i stay steady on the 20mg Lex until I stabilize and symptoms completely go away, or begin tapering???? 

If you find Buspar calming or no effect, eliminate the daytime dose. If you find Buspar stimulating, eliminate the nighttime dose.

56 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Are you feeling better or worse since you've reduced Buspar? When did this sleepiness start in relation to your Buspar dosage changes? Is this a tolerable symptom?

I am worse off since reducing buspar, most notably after going from 5 to 2.5mg, but I want to get off of it so I will deal with the symptoms and hope that they do not last long since I was only on it for one month. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I would say I do not really notice if it is calming or stimulating. I do think it reduced my anxiety when I was on it so I guess that would mean it is calming? 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, phillyfan24 said:

I would say I do not really notice if it is calming or stimulating. I do think it reduced my anxiety when I was on it so I guess that would mean it is calming? 

That is odd, since it looks like reducing Buspar makes you sleepy.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post this information here, in your Intro topic.

10 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

That is odd, since it looks like reducing Buspar makes you sleepy.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post this information here, in your Intro topic.

now that you mention that, you are prob correct. the increase in sleepiness has really ramped up over the past few days, notably after going from 5 to 2.5mg. I will take the quarter tablet at nights and see how that goes...nervous but excited to be getting off the first medication! I will begin posting symptom journals and will update after my doctors visit tomorrow!

• Administrator

Yes, I'd take the quarter-tab Buspar at night, could be beneficial. Please keep daily notes about drug intake and symptom pattern, post it here.

Let's allow that change to settle for a few weeks, then address the Lexapro. You take that in the morning, correct?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, I'd take the quarter-tab Buspar at night, could be beneficial. Please keep daily notes about drug intake and symptom pattern, post it here.

Let's allow that change to settle for a few weeks, then address the Lexapro. You take that in the morning, correct?

I will begin posting daily notes starting tomorrow. Really happy to finally have some time off from school/clinicals. 

And yes i am now taking the lexapro in the mornings. And i agree it may be best to settle for a few weeks for some stabilization. 

Starting tomorrow i am down to just a quarter tab buspar at night. Would you do this for four days @Altostrata like previous reductions? 

On 10/29/2018 at 5:58 AM, phillyfan24 said:

I am so upset at myself that I didnt research this and do a slow taper as opposed to blindly listening to my doctor. 

Hi phillyfan24, just wanted to say that this has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with. Try not to beat yourself up. I am an intelligent person, I work in allied health and have a degree in psychology and I did what my doctor told me to do (a switch from 40mg Lexapro to 75 Effexor over 5 days), but I had no reason to distrust this doctor, he'd sensitively treated myself and my children for a couple of years. Best of luck with your tapering!

Lexapro:  2013 -  20 mg, then 30 mg then 40 mg 2016. Cold turkey 4 June 2018. Reinstated August 24 2018 at 5mg (not tapering while I'm tapering the Effexor XR)

Effexor XR -  75mg  7 June 2018, increased to 150mg August 2018. Tapering September 2018 10% first drop, 5% second drops every 4 weeks 07 March 2019 112.5mg, 02 June 2019 112.5mg minus 30 beads

Seroquel 12.5mg - May 2018 - September 2018 prescribed after work stress to augment Lexapro

Phenergen - 10mg as needed from June 2018 - August 2018 for disequilibrium

Rizatriptan - 10mg as needed from June 2018 to December 2018 for "vestibular migraine" onset

Propranalol - June 2018 prescribed for vestibular migraine prevention 80mg;  30mg Oct 2018, 10mg May 2019

Valium -  2.5mg  - intermittent use for withdrawal symptoms

Stemitil - 2003 for cervicogenic dizziness and June 2018 for dizziness/nausea (not effective)

Supplements:  1000mg fish oil x 2 capsules (EPA 180mg + 120mg) 09/09/19 2 x 2000mg (360mg EPA + 240mg DHA each), vitamin C, magnesium diglycinate 3g,. Taurine 3g , vitamin D3, vitex, bone broth, 

2 hours ago, Dizzy4 said:

Hi phillyfan24, just wanted to say that this has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with. Try not to beat yourself up. I am an intelligent person, I work in allied health and have a degree in psychology and I did what my doctor told me to do (a switch from 40mg Lexapro to 75 Effexor over 5 days), but I had no reason to distrust this doctor, he'd sensitively treated myself and my children for a couple of years. Best of luck with your tapering!

Hi Dizzy, always great to hear someone that is going through the same thing. I went and read your thread! how are you doing these days?!

Hello, I'm ok 🙂.  Its messy.. not the way I would have it i.e being on an SSRI and an SNRI at the same time! Hard for a perfectionist! I have to take it day by day. I felt quite normal today and the last few days as its been a while since my last drop of Effexor XR (I think I did a drop after 3 weeks in November and it was a mistake) but in the background I am aware that my nervous system is not quite the same. I have to baby myself. If I have a bit of excitement then I need a bit of down time (I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) though) I just dread the brain fog so much 😞, my thoughtfulness and sharp wit even, is a big part of who I am. I thought I was ok last week but went to a supermarket with my sister and it was all just too much, I felt like a drunk person as I struggled to articulate.. quite humiliating.

Sending good vibes to you phillyfan!!! Keep posting please. 

Lexapro:  2013 -  20 mg, then 30 mg then 40 mg 2016. Cold turkey 4 June 2018. Reinstated August 24 2018 at 5mg (not tapering while I'm tapering the Effexor XR)

Effexor XR -  75mg  7 June 2018, increased to 150mg August 2018. Tapering September 2018 10% first drop, 5% second drops every 4 weeks 07 March 2019 112.5mg, 02 June 2019 112.5mg minus 30 beads

Seroquel 12.5mg - May 2018 - September 2018 prescribed after work stress to augment Lexapro

Phenergen - 10mg as needed from June 2018 - August 2018 for disequilibrium

Rizatriptan - 10mg as needed from June 2018 to December 2018 for "vestibular migraine" onset

Propranalol - June 2018 prescribed for vestibular migraine prevention 80mg;  30mg Oct 2018, 10mg May 2019

Valium -  2.5mg  - intermittent use for withdrawal symptoms

Stemitil - 2003 for cervicogenic dizziness and June 2018 for dizziness/nausea (not effective)

Supplements:  1000mg fish oil x 2 capsules (EPA 180mg + 120mg) 09/09/19 2 x 2000mg (360mg EPA + 240mg DHA each), vitamin C, magnesium diglycinate 3g,. Taurine 3g , vitamin D3, vitex, bone broth, 

8 hours ago, Dizzy4 said:

Hello, I'm ok 🙂.  Its messy.. not the way I would have it i.e being on an SSRI and an SNRI at the same time! Hard for a perfectionist! I have to take it day by day. I felt quite normal today and the last few days as its been a while since my last drop of Effexor XR (I think I did a drop after 3 weeks in November and it was a mistake) but in the background I am aware that my nervous system is not quite the same. I have to baby myself. If I have a bit of excitement then I need a bit of down time (I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) though) I just dread the brain fog so much 😞, my thoughtfulness and sharp wit even, is a big part of who I am. I thought I was ok last week but went to a supermarket with my sister and it was all just too much, I felt like a drunk person as I struggled to articulate.. quite humiliating.

Sending good vibes to you phillyfan!!! Keep posting please. 

glad to hear you have had some "normal days" lately, hopefully it stays that way! The brain fog is my main symptom as well, it really is impossible to explain to people! Just keep taking it nice and slow, it sounds like you are on the right track! 

Quick update after doctor's visit:

It went about how i expected it to go. Told doc i am not doing well at all and have noticed an increase in brain fog since beginning buspar, to which he responds that he wants to increase the buspar (he thinks i am on 10mg, did not let him know i am weaning off) to..60MG!! I was shocked he would even think that, but just said ok (no intentions to take this). I then told him I believe that the drop from 20 to 15 was too much and that i felt better when i was on 17.5mg, to which he responded "that is your anxiety talking", and tht 2.5mg reduction is nothing and that there is no difference between 20 and 17.5mg. At this point I realized i would have no luck asking about the liquid, so i was just shaking my head and saying ok to get out of there. i left so quick he forgot to hand me my script for the buspar, to which he called 5 min after i left to come pick it up. I will not be picking it up and will be on the hunt for a new doctor.

Also, brain fog continues to be really high last few days. I'm guessing it is because I am coming off the buspar. i am hoping it won't last long since I was only on the buspar for just under a month. Officially started not taking the quarter tab this morning and will begin quarter tab each night and be completely off come Thursday!

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, phillyfan24 said:

i left so quick he forgot to hand me my script for the buspar, to which he called 5 min after i left to come pick it up. I will not be picking it up and will be on the hunt for a new doctor.

I suggest that you don't cut off your nose to spite your face.  Pick up the script and then look for a new doctor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management