kirby: my story 1.2 years and getting better

I posted my story on another forum in a different topic (link below) but I also wanted to share to more people, so here is a repost. It is kind of long, but maybe it will be an interesting read.

For anyone interested in my story, I had a relatively short time with zyprexa, around two months, but I quit cold turkey without relapse for over a year and getting better. To begin with, my dose was 10 mg, with lithium for a week, increased to 15 mg at the last week. Every moment of taking these drugs I wished I could get off it, but under the supervision of doctors and threat of hospitalization I was forced to be fed this stuff. Right after the supervision stopped, I convinced my family to let me quit and quit cold turkey by telling them how I felt like I was in a spiral of darkness and emptiness and it would only get worse. 

At first, for the first week I had absolutely terrible symptoms. I could not sleep even though I was tired, I felt the need to talk and continue talking, and I had this overwhelming feeling of dullness and emptiness in my spirit, and I felt like my body was about to collapse. But my family was super supportive (not to brag but maybe someone that reads this might be more knowledgeable on what worked for one person, also one of my family members is a registered nurse): every morning they forced me to eat a breakfast of toast, eggs and milk, and then go out on a walk with the dog. Then, as often as they could they would take me out to eat, encourage me to listen to music or play an instrument (although I was less than awesome at it ), go shopping, or just drive around to let me feel refreshed. They forced me to go to bed at 10:00 every night even if I couldn't sleep, and even accompanied me by setting up a towel and pillow on the floor. They smiled when they talked to me, ignored the weird stuff I said, and were patient when I spoke slowly. When I mentioned wild things and they were really hurt by it, they never suggested sending me back to the hospital. Sometimes they would get super frustrated, they were even experiencing their own traumas because of my illness, but they kept it between them and didn't say a word to me (they would go to another room and vent or whisper). Also, I didn't have to work or go to school because it was the summer and my family was fiscally supporting me (I am young). One important thing to mention was my personal determination: I felt the medicine was terrible for me and I was willing to go through any and all symptoms no matter how severe because I wanted nothing to do with the medicine anymore. The strict schedule and kind attention and daily exercise and lack of pressure and probably personal determination was the foundation of my good recovery, although time ultimately was the answer.

After the first month I was able to express my thoughts better, but I was still dull everywhere. Also, I started to fear that I was changed forever. Most importantly, I started having massive crying spells. When words couldn't come out of my mouth I just started to feel really sad. Sometimes I would sit and cry for hours, with an unexplained mix of feeling of loneliness, neglect, and pain even though everyone was always kind and checking up on me. I believe this may have been associated with the reason why I had to take the medicine in the first place (I am pretty sure it was external social isolation because of my personality, situation, and previous social trauma). One time the neighbors called the police because they were concerned that someone was crying for hours on end all day (the police ended up leaving with nothing because I wasn't crying at the time they came and there was nothing wrong). This increased the tension, and I felt even worse. I started going into the closet to cry, but it didn't make the crying stop. My family started to get really understandably upset because it made them feel sad, but that made me feel worse. I was improving every day still, but it wasn't enough to stop the crying and nobody knew what to do. I tried music, but sometimes a song grew old and didn't make me feel better anymore. Then, I decided I needed to take action in my own hands and got myself a video game machine (2ds) - something I wanted but didn't want to spend money on for years because of the impact it might have on my studies and family, and the social memories it brought back. This stopped the crying, because I felt had something I could do whatever in and there were no consequences, and it probably made me rethink my negative memories in a more positive way. I still struggled with sleeping, always waking up at least once in the middle of the night, and never felt completely refreshed after sleep, but I was happy that I felt improvement.

After that, school was beginning, so I was encouraged to go to school (two upper division courses). However, I felt overwhelmed by the material - I was struggling to retain any information and concentrate. I knew i probably couldn't last, but it made the people around me feel relieved, so I dragged it on for as long as I could. When the test scores came in, I thought about my life overall and realized that I didn't have the capacity to do studies at the moment and also the stress hindered my recovery so I dropped the course. My family was upset, but because they saw my effort they were understanding. During this time I happen to find a free class on essential oils at health food store, and attended it. Then, I bought some essential oils for myself (doterra brand oil) and a diffuser, and tried it. It worked wonders and I was able to sleep through the night without waking. When I was stressed out and felt sad, it completely calmed me like I was lifted into another world. I also tried regular meditation, but it was hard, so I stuck with oils, playing video games, and guided meditations that I listened to into sleep (using the free phone app "insight timer"). I also visited a chinese medicine doctor who was in town; he taught me 6 exercises to relieve stress: using fingers to hit the baihui point on top of the head, hitting the sides of the legs (danjing - galbladder meridian), pushing the taichong point on the feet, tensing the gluteus maximum muscle then releasing it (progressive muscle relaxation), standing on toes then dropping the body (shaking the top of the head), then just standing around and shaking yourself for 5 minutes. He said doing that every day for a year would make me recover completely. This made me feel a lot better, both physically removing numbness in my head and knowing there was something I could do to make recovery faster, but I still was worried that I wasn't well enough for school and thought I might stay that way - now I know better because I experienced healing that time brings. 

Around at the third month, I started to have a new problem: gastrointestinal upset. Everything I ate no matter what came out immediately from the other end. It was awful and when I went to the md they could find nothing. My family contacted the chinese doctor and he gave me some special herbal tea to drink (it cost a lot), which in fact did improve the condition. When the tea ran out I had occasional bouts of diarrhea again, but it was ok because it was only occasional and before I started the medicine I was already having some gastrointestinal problems. As a postscript, this year I tried wormwood tea and found out I had a little bit of parasitic worms, which removing really helped my intestinal health. I still had diarrhea though (probably weak gut bacteria after the medicine) until I started eating around a teaspoon of expeller pressed organic coconut oil daily (originally for oil pulling). The coconut oil also improved my thinking in the week I ate it, so it might have further implications, although I have stopped because I recently got a cold and my intuition tells me to give my body a break. Overall, although I might one day completely recover, I now understand health is a lifelong project, and always trying to find something to make it better is a good habit.

Then two months later when the next semester of school came around, I decided to try to both get progress in my life (having a goal really makes recovery less tedious) and improve my physical health so I took a taichi class (upper division). I was terrible at it, still had terrible memorization, and ended up failing it. However, it made my family happy that I tried and I felt more confident about myself (I got through the semester without dropping). During this time I also met regularly with my primary physician - I wanted to maintain a good relationship with my doctors (assists in the trauma caused by the experience). At first they recommended I meet with a psychiatrist, but when I was adamant I wanted nothing to do with that field since it muddied up things too much, they were alright with it because I seemed to be improving. My doctor allowed me to visit a neurologist to address my concerns of involuntary twitching (happens all over the body when I am emotional, getting much better over time), and while the neurologist completely brushed off my concerns, it made me feel like I was making progress in understanding myself (at least I got to voice my concerns and feel less alone). Looking back, it also addressed the primary cause of my illness (social isolation). Mostly, I just followed my own gut on what to do next, and at this time my flexibility, optimistic view, attacking the original problem, and family support was the key.

Around the ten month mark, I decided I might never be able to go to school again (still unconfident in my ability to learn), so I went to the local community college to talk about other options. In the college they recommended that I might get a job, which I never really had before. Therefore, I went and applied to my dream job (doesn't require school) which was being a carrier at the postal office. I was very lucky, because they were in a shortage of new hires so I got the job. This really boosted my confidence and self worth, and I tried my hardest at work. It was a full time job, 9 to 5, and really demanding, but I was living out a dream I always had and exercising all day, which probably really made me recover better. However, I lacked the physical strength, and some of my coworkers and managers encouraged me to do something else, while others were really kind and encouraging. For the first time in my life, I felt "workplace problems" and "pride in my own work" and "following a dream" and I also felt "being needed and belonging". These all related to my initial problem and were very therapeutic in living out and solving, which was probably the biggest turning point in my recovery. Before this point I was also reluctant to go to school (relevant to my initial illness), because it reminded me of my social problems and I didn't understand the urge. Now that I did, and understand the value of school and its relation to my personal life, I determinedly decided to go back to school, making my family happy, quitting my previous "dream job", and going for my degree. Doing this also improved my other family member's high blood pressure they had for over a decade.

The past few months really showed this recovery: this semester in school, I was able to read over 20 chapters of textbook, take long essay exams and passed two upper division classes with A's. Still, I feel woozy at times, and can have grumpy tantrums, but I am understanding how to be patient with myself, trying to continuously improve, and ready to take on challenges in my life. I feel I have effectively resolved my initial problem to the point I can keep growing, and mostly recovered from medicines, and I also have a much better attitude in life. I am still recovering, however, but it has become just another part of my life. Yesterday I came across this form while searching for information on zyprexa (because I learned klonopin was a controlled substance from a cop cam show and wanted to do and wanted to see if zyprexa was one too), and related very well with other people's experiences, so I wanted to share mine. I writing so that my experience might inspire happiness and belief in oneself to others. The important thing to hang onto, in my opinion, is a belief to see things through with yourself whatever happens and keeping in touch with the people that are important to you.

Edited by ChessieCat
corrected first sentence and and link

My medications were short-timed and low-dosed, but still affected my life a lot; all this is in 2017.

June 21 - June 28 (inpatient) - 300 mg lithium

June 6 -  July 14 (inpatient then outpatient) - 10 mg zyprexa

July 14 - July 17 (outpatient try taper) - 7.5 mg zyprexa

July 18 - July 21 (outpatient doctor changed) - 10 mg zyprexa

July 21 - July 24 (outpatient doctor said got worse) -  15 mg zyprexa

July 25 - now (quit ct with family supervision) - nothing

I quit ct and was successful, but there were tons of symptoms and without my family support probably impossible. My situation was fortunate, and maybe if I tapered there would be less symptoms. But I feel what worked was a will to keep going, patience, and attitude to want to get better in any situation ct or tapering.

• ChessieCat changed the title to kirby: My story 1.2 years and getting better
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi kirby and welcome to SA,

So that members can see your drug history please create your drug signature using the following format.  

Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Kirkby! Your story brings hope, especially when dealing with cognitive issues and wanting to go back studying again some day. Thank you for sharing 😊💕

2010 - 2015: 50mg Sertraline, 30mg Mirtazapine.

2015 - 2016: Last dose Mirtazapine 28.11.2015 and Sertraline 04.01.2016. (6 months taper)

2016/June: 6 months off. Feeling better but a lot of symptoms, name one and i have it.

2016/Dec: 12 months off. Hit a very bad wave, can't function at this moment, isolate and many intense symptoms. Very intense heart palpitations and very intense anxiety.

2017/June: 18 months off. Things are better, experiencing a lot of flashbacks, walking everyday.

2017/Nov: Things have finally started to improve and i'm now much better than a year ago, starting to feel a lot of improvements, but still symptoms that come in waves and windows.  

2018/June: Feeling better. Starting to do some normal things again, but still some improvements needed. All symptoms still there, just less intense.

2018/Oct: Almost 3 years off. Symptoms are milder and more manageable, but lots of anger issues at the moment. Still some depersonalization etc. Heart palpitations almost gone. There's hope.

2021/april: 5 years and 3 months off. Symptoms less intense, but still struggling, still not able to socialize much, very tired, i just want to feel normal again. In a tough and awful wave.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 12:46 PM, GirlfromD said:

Congratulations Kirkby! Your story brings hope, especially when dealing with cognitive issues and wanting to go back studying again some day. Thank you for sharing 😊💕

Thanks! It feels great seeing that it makes other people feel good! I'm back in school again this semester; I think the challenge of the material actually assists me in recovering because it makes me feel accomplished and keeps my mind off problems. Still need to maintain balance though - need school and play to be healthy.

My medications were short-timed and low-dosed, but still affected my life a lot; all this is in 2017.

I quit ct and was successful, but there were tons of symptoms and without my family support probably impossible. My situation was fortunate, and maybe if I tapered there would be less symptoms. But I feel what worked was a will to keep going, patience, and attitude to want to get better in any situation ct or tapering.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:01 PM, ChessieCat said:

Hi kirby and welcome to SA,

So that members can see your drug history please create your drug signature using the following format.  

Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

All done! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks kirby.  Much appreciated.  Wishing you all the best for your future psychiatric drug free life.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@kirby, cheers man good work!

Is you sleep good today?

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:59 AM, frasier23 said:

@kirby, cheers man good work!

Is you sleep good today?

Yesterday, I woke up a few times in the night, but I think it has to do with stress from looking at the lives of people i use to know online and comparing them to myself... which is something that I am going to avoid today by gathering my willpower to spend more time studying. I'm trying to work out my social problems by exposing myself to things that upset me and finding ways to overcome it. Sometimes when I get super stressed and can't sleep, I put on essential oils or play with my 3ds until I fall asleep. Usually, especially when I have a good day (like my birthday) I just get super sleepy and fall asleep right away and sleep through the night. Good luck on recovering; I'm sure you'll eventually feel better!

• 5 months later...

I'd like to say that I think complications are very tough to deal with that usually are only solvable like a puzzle to medical pros. But, sometimes if your feeling up to it and are kind of like me now in the chill factor it's best to just let go until you get your way, if it dosnt actually end in damage. For example, after a long time off this website, my immune system was weak because valentines day while taking 4 hard courses in school (dropped). However, after losing all my energy, I finally after 10 years of possibility realized risk is fun and  tried to treat myself for an inflammation problem with a name (sounds kind of scary but its lyme) that i may or may not have and all doctors i met said was nothing using an herb, as carefully carefully researched using reliable sources. Everyone takes risk different but I pased my own self judgement so I think I won. I had to regulate emotion, knowledge, time, and environment, and sometimes I had to let go and be a little silly but I think it worked. I realized that integrated medicine is also taught in real schools. And, in different cultures different medicines exist... 

I need to say I am a special case, and dont know about the workings of medicine but may have intuitive ways of solving problems (studied my writting pattern, thought a lot about history for guiding posts, and did some embarassing/use less things). I have access to the knowledge of myself and professional papers on the internet. Also, I accepted risk and have side effects like brusing and blisters and the herb is a blood thinner and hormone replacement so it's hard to use. However, just as a story for others to read and think about, for me following my gut and using my support team's resilience lead me to a solution. If anything, my education teaches me that everyone is different but their paths are always there for them, because time moves forward for everyone at the same time and there is nothing stopping anyone sometimes. My path is education... for others it's working or family or hobbies or friends. In my honest opinion as a student in college going on their very much over 4 years ( should be 8 year graduate), but also a hard worker in the unrecognized way, I think life always has ups and downs but when it's down follow patterns that lead to desired results in the past... because it is more fun.

• ChessieCat changed the title to kirby: my story 1.2 years and getting better
On 12/30/2018 at 10:24 PM, kirby said:

ometimes I would sit and cry for hours, with an unexplained mix of feeling of loneliness, neglect, and pain

I know this state so well. I often feel it to be so intense it cannot possibility reflect in magnitude external events. I feel this deep deep sorrow but often wonder if it is a disproportionate response. It’s like being in continued early day grief ( like just after a loved one dies).

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

• 1 month later...

Update: My family suggested I try acupuncture and Chinese medicine by a certified herbologist. I was weary at first, because I was weary of all doctors, but it seems to be effective. He also gave me advice in a western medicine perspective that I think is super useful. Each day I have to eat two cups of bitter herb juice, and I go in weekly for acupuncture, but maybe it is my confidence but my mood is way better. I've always thought that Chinese medicine was neat and wanted to try it, but only recently started. Releasing myself of being my own doctor makes me feel better. I wish that others would find ways to make themselves healthy too.

• 6 months later...

Update again: I've done well in school the last year and am keeping up with myself this new year. Continuing to see the doctor every week, I find that I can think calmer, do more complicated things, and overall be happier. I have also come to realize that although my results in life are all based off of internal sources, sometimes my external surroundings effect the way I can carry myself. Maybe I am just growing, but realizing these things (and not really reacting to it) really assist me in improving my thinking and health.

• Mentor
12 minutes ago, kirby said:

Update again: I've done well in school the last year and am keeping up with myself this new year. Continuing to see the doctor every week, I find that I can think calmer, do more complicated things, and overall be happier. I have also come to realize that although my results in life are all based off of internal sources, sometimes my external surroundings effect the way I can carry myself. Maybe I am just growing, but realizing these things (and not really reacting to it) really assist me in improving my thinking and health.

That is great to hear! Keep it going! Glad you are doing even better :) 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Just now, Cocopuffz17 said:

That is great to hear! Keep it going! Glad you are doing even better :) 

Hey thanks! Wishing for good health for you too! 🌄

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for coming back and letting us know that you are continuing to do well!  Best Wishes to you! Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• 8 months later...

Update: Close to graduation finally! Ended traditional medicine in September with little to no physical issues (sleepnessless, random pains) since. Noticed that I had emotional inefficiencies so I faced my fears of mental health (the potential of being re hospitalized) and started cognitive behavior therapy (CIMHS Free Online Therapy for Depression) , dialectic behavioral therapy (DBT : Dialectical Behavior Therapy - Skills, Worksheets, & Videos), and group therapy (dialectic behavioral group). Kind of stressed out lately because of all the world stuff (illness and such), but doing my best. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks kirby,

For your continued updates. 

8 hours ago, kirby said:

Ended traditional medicine in September with little to no physical issues

What does this mean?  Can you elaborate a bit?

I added the DBT link, to our topic too:  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17057-dialectical-behavior-therapy-dbt-and-radical-acceptance/

And am just looking at the one for CBT now.

And yes, these are stressful times for sure.  And so good that you are doing your best and using all your tools for coping.  Even finding some new ones!

Big huge congrats too, on your upcoming graduation!  Balloons, confetti, the works.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 11/25/2020 at 10:53 AM, manymoretodays said:

Thanks kirby,

For your continued updates. 

What does this mean?  Can you elaborate a bit?

I added the DBT link, to our topic too:  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17057-dialectical-behavior-therapy-dbt-and-radical-acceptance/

And am just looking at the one for CBT now.

And yes, these are stressful times for sure.  And so good that you are doing your best and using all your tools for coping.  Even finding some new ones!

Big huge congrats too, on your upcoming graduation!  Balloons, confetti, the works.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi manymoretodays,

So what I meant by ending traditional medicine was in reference to my previous post where I said I started traditional chinese medicine. It means that i have stopped taking my herbal drinks and getting acupuncture. Also, that the symptoms I had (restlessness, sleeping issues, headaches) have improved a lot. I still have trouble sleeping and get headaches sometimes when I have lots to think about, but the unexplained constant "can't sleep even when i am tired" and "nonstop headache in one stop even when i am doing nothing" are gone. They could be because of unrelated issues, but I'm happy they are gone.

Also, thanks for the congratulations!

Edited by kirby
added quote

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you.  And so glad you are seeing improvement kirby!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 1 month later...

great news! graduated college and working on a certificate for the future career I want. Confidence way up, and going to group therapy twice a week for dialectic behavior therapy. Trying my best to keep up with myself - realized I had deeper emotional issues and am trying best to deal with it. Wishing that this good update will make others feel happier.

• Mentor

Excellent news Kirby. Thanks for the reassuring update and good luck in your new life chapter. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, Kirby!!  Well done!

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone, your encouragements make me really happy too!

• 4 months later...

So everyone, I've decided that I'm ready to move on emotionally from my past. This means i'm going to leave this site/ deactivate. I'm really thankful for this platform, since it really let me express myself and feel support through hard times. Its just that now my feelings about my past are changing, and I'm ready to adopt a new identity where it will play a much smaller part. So, this is a farewell for as long as the farewell will be. Here are my last words: keep going everyone, and good health everywhere!  

Thank you for posting about your recovery. It gives us all hope. 

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.