PennyLane26

PennyLane26 Success Story- Protracted Paxil Withdrawal

PennyLane26
5 hours ago, johnson said:

Hi Penny, 

I just had a question, how did recovery happen for you? Was it gradual over time or did you suddenly wake up one day and instantly feel better? Thanks

Hi Johnson-

Yes it is absolutely gradual and it is not linear. This means you can feel good for days, weeks, even months and then take a few (or several) steps back and feel crappy again.  You definitely do not wake up one day and all of a sudden feel better.  The process requires a lot of patience and optimism.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

Tom37

Hi Pennylane,

When you reinstated to 15mg how long did it take you to stabilise?

I was tapering but crashed going to 3mg and it’s been 4 months and it’s still waves and windows and no clear windows yet and waves are quite difficult.

Thanks for staying in touch as great to see  a recovery story.

PennyLane26

Hi Tom- 

No problem I am happy to help. I wouldn’t exactly call that a reinstatement as I felt pretty much fine for several months leading up to going back on. I am not sure if it was my original anxiety or withdrawals to be honest, but when I did start to get symptoms again 4 months later I freaked out and went running back to Paxil. I wouldn’t recommend going up that high if you’re already down to 3 mg. Once you have started withdrawaling it’s a crap chute on whether or not it will even work. As I’ve stated previously, self care is the number one thing that will help you get through in my opinion. Let me know if you have other questions!

Raindays

PennyLane, you have given me hope. Thanks for coming back to help those still here. 😊 Did you at times feel just totally overwhelmed and like you couldn't make it to go on another day? It feels like it is the same thing day after day. I have been tapering since last June and it feels like I will never get off and recover. What was the best tool you had at your disposal that helped with patience? Thanks so much 

Lookinup

Was it hard getting off the Ambien after several months?  I was put on Ambien because of insomnia caused by Remeron withdrawal and would like to get off it and use Melatonin.

PennyLane26
12 hours ago, Mirtazapine said:

Was it hard getting off the Ambien after several months?  I was put on Ambien because of insomnia caused by Remeron withdrawal and would like to get off it and use Melatonin.

It actually wasn’t. I was terrified of trying to get off of it. What I did was really work on sleep hygiene and stopped watching TV, etc several hours before bed and started taking melatonin. I made sure I was really relaxing and calming my body, I also got blue blocking glasses. Then I slowly weaned off the ambien like I did with Paxil. I was cutting off tiny bits every week until I wasn’t taking it anymore. Hope that helps!

Cocopuffz17

Thank you so much for posting such a detailed description of your journey through this. I am 7 months off and feel better each day, but still get massive fatigue. I agree 100% with you stating that food is the best medicine, it gives the best results. (which is the opposite of western medicine, I asked about nutrition and they always said my diet was "fine"). Personally changing my nutrition is the only reason I know I was able to come off this medication.

As for your family and them rolling their eyes. I have the exact same experience. A majority of people won't understand until they go through it. I have had people critique it and they are having numerous health issues and WILL NOT CHANGE their diet. Instead they continue to take more medication and HAVE NEGATIVE results, all because a doctor told them, its always their justification. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and journey, which is now a success!!!! Awesome! Mindset and nutrition are the best medicine!! 

PennyLane26
9 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Thank you so much for posting such a detailed description of your journey through this. I am 7 months off and feel better each day, but still get massive fatigue. I agree 100% with you stating that food is the best medicine, it gives the best results. (which is the opposite of western medicine, I asked about nutrition and they always said my diet was "fine"). Personally changing my nutrition is the only reason I know I was able to come off this medication.

As for your family and them rolling their eyes. I have the exact same experience. A majority of people won't understand until they go through it. I have had people critique it and they are having numerous health issues and WILL NOT CHANGE their diet. Instead they continue to take more medication and HAVE NEGATIVE results, all because a doctor told them, its always their justification. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and journey, which is now a success!!!! Awesome! Mindset and nutrition are the best medicine!! 

You are very welcome! I am coming up on two years off and still struggle with fatigue too. I think w/d really messes with the adrenals in  a lot of people.  Yes, I totally understand. I have tried to help family members or friends by giving nutritional advice and most people won’t listen. It’s hard for a lot of people to own up to the fact that you are ultimately responsible for their own health. It’s easier to blame genes and not address the bad eating, lack of exercise, and the nightly glass of wine. I wish I realized that before Paxil, but I guess sometimes it takes going through hell to make lasting changes.  We will all be better for it in the end!

Cocopuffz17
18 minutes ago, PennyLane26 said:

It’s hard for a lot of people to own up to the fact that you are ultimately responsible for their own health. It’s easier to blame genes and not address the bad eating, lack of exercise, and the nightly glass of wine. I wish I realized that before Paxil, but I guess sometimes it takes going through hell to make lasting changes.  We will all be better for it in the end!

Yes, unfortunately it is. I was in that group, it took me hitting rock bottom mentally and a decent amount of physical health issues before I changed. I started by changing my mentality and it was by making no more excuses, everything is my fault, I must fix it. It sure does, but does it feel GREAT to know that there is way better quality of life on the other side (drug free and with better nutrition)