SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jwenrich: formula for liquid Lexapro

Jwenrich

If someone could offer any assistance on the formula for tapering off of liquid lexapro safely. I truly believe my family physician does not understand the dangers of weening quickly. But I did listen to her. She said once I was on 2.5 mg. I could now do every other day. Well I spoke up on a Facebook page ( lexapro should be illegal) and the crowd went wild. Anyway, what is the correct way to ween from 2.5 mg of the liquid.  And keep in mind I have been on the 2.5 every other day for a month. I started at 20 Mg. So I’m doing really well eating right, running and yoga;) 

thanks 

Jw🎆😘🐶

• ChessieCat changed the title to formula for liquid Lexapro
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA,

I am really pleased that you did your own research.  And it is good that you have found SA.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4  weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Skipping days to taper is not recommended.  The brain likes consistency.  Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

The first thing you will need to do is to start taking your drug daily at about the same time.  If you are currently taking 2.5mg every second day, you will need to start taking 1.25mg every day.  Generally we would suggest doing this for several weeks before making a reduction, however, if you have been reducing faster than 10% monthly, it would be better for you to stay on 1.25mg every day for longer.  Once we have more information about how you have been reducing we will be better able to offer suggestions.

Please create a drug signature using the following format.  Keep it simple (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

These topic have information on how to get small doses:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

questions-and-answers-about-liquid-medications

You may be experiencing withdrawal symptoms which you haven't connected with reducing your drug:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

These are links to some helpful topics:

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Non-drug techniques to cope

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable  

The only supplements SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Only make one change at a time.  Try a small amount, one at a time, to see how you react. 

There are many existing topic on this site.  I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the place to ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jwenrich: formula for liquid Lexapro