LisaLou: reinstating SSRI?

LisaLou

This is my first time posting. I am searching for help for anyone with experience with reinstating after withdrawal. I was on 100mg Zoloft for 8 years. It had pooped out and doctor tried switching me to Celexa. Had bad side effects so went back to Zoloft and did a taper over 2 months.  Did the Prozac bridge to help with withdrawal but I am now 2 months off and I am scared and miserable. The withdrawal is so bad.  I'm taking 5htp and it is helping a bit but I am seriously considering reinstating a ssri.  I dont know if I should try to go back to Zoloft or try Prozac?? What dosage should I start at? My GP tried to get me start taking Paxil 10mg.  I know that my neuro system in extremely sensitive. What do I do??

Began taking Zoloft 50mg in August 2010 for OCD and anxiety. Did well on it for 5 years at that dosage. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2016 and dose increased to 100mg. Did great on that until May of this year when I started having panic attacks. My GP thought it was due to Zoloft poop out and wanted to try 40mg Celexa. No taper, just stop Zoloft and start Celexa. I took Celexa for 2 weeks but went back to Zoloft because of side effects. I had also been prescribed Ambien and thought that may be the cause of the sudden onset of panic attacks so I weaned off of Ambien had only been 3 weeks and it was still difficult) I then decided that I wanted to taper off Zoloft, too. I spoke with my GP and pharmacist and was told to reduce to 75mg, 50, then 25 etc. I had completely weaned off Zoloft by September. My GP gave me a prescription of Prozac 10mg but instead of taking them daily, I have taken once weekly for withdrawal support

What supplements would support your neuro system without stimulation?

Began taking Zoloft 50mg in August 2010 for OCD and anxiety. Did well on it for 5 years at that dosage. Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2016 and dose increased to 100mg. Did great on that until May of this year when I started having panic attacks. My GP thought it was due to Zoloft poop out and wanted to try 40mg Celexa. No taper, just stop Zoloft and start Celexa. I took Celexa for 2 weeks but went back to Zoloft because of side effects. I had also been prescribed Ambien and thought that may be the cause of the sudden onset of panic attacks so I weaned off of Ambien had only been 3 weeks and it was still difficult) I then decided that I wanted to taper off Zoloft, too. I spoke with my GP and pharmacist and was told to reduce to 75mg, 50, then 25 etc. I had completely weaned off Zoloft by September. My GP gave me a prescription of Prozac 10mg but instead of taking them daily, I have taken once weekly for withdrawal support

• ChessieCat changed the title to LisaLou: reinstating SSRI?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, LisaLou.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the dates and dosages of your Zoloft and Prozac tapers.

We recommend tapering no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Some members have to taper more slowly.

Your taper of Zoloft was much faster than we recommend.  If your Prozac taper was similarly  fast, that would account for your withdrawal symptoms.  To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

You mentioned reinstatement.  If you decide to reinstate, likely Prozac would be the drug to reinstate.  Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  Reinstatement most predictably works up to 3 months after last dose, though this is not a hard and fast rule.  We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

We can suggest a reinstatement dosage of Prozac once you have completed your drug signature.  Please do not reinstate until you've heard our suggestions.  Here is a link explaining how to get  small nonstandard doses of Prozac:

Regarding supplements, we don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.  Here is some information on 5HTP.

Once you've completed your signature, we'll be in a better position of offer assistance.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I have only taking Prozac about 10 times since coming off Zoloft. Like one pill weekly

• Moderator Emeritus

10 hours ago, LisaLou said:

I have only taking Prozac about 10 times since coming off Zoloft. Like one pill weekly

What date did you stop taking Zoloft?  Were you taking it every day?   What dosage were you taking when you stopped?  

For future reference, it is very important to take antidepressants every day and at the same time.  Your brain needs consistency.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I did my signature with that info

• Moderator Emeritus

Reinstatement works most predictably within 3 months of your last dose.  You are just outside that time frame.  If you decide to reinstate, I would reinstate Zoloft rather than Prozac since you haven't been taking the Prozac regularly.  I suggest reinstating 1mg Zoloft, taken daily at the same time, and stop taking the Prozac,   1mg doesn't sound like a lot, but these drugs are strong and your brain has made changes to accommodate not getting the Zoloft.  This link tells you how to get small doses of Zoloft, basically by using or making a liquid or by weighing pills.

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  Remember, the goal of reinstatement is not to eliminate withdrawal symptoms completely but other to make them bearable.

Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thank you for the information. If I decide not to reinstate, what are the chances of ever being able to take an SSRI if I need it? I'm extremely nervous about trying to reinstate. I have had some success with 5htp, is my brain excepting that because it's natural instead of an SSRI?

I also wanted to ask if it's common during withdrawal to have super sensitive hearing and having the feeling of having a headband around your head all the time with tingling.

6 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

También quería preguntar si es común durante la abstinencia tener una audición súper sensible y tener la sensación de tener una diadema alrededor de la cabeza todo el tiempo con hormigueo.

Just tell you that the two symptoms are common, I startle with sounds when I'm destabilizing, the pressure on the head too. It is withdrawal, your mind and body need time to calm down and adapt to live without the drug.

Mayo 2018: Venlafaxina 150 mg y toma 64mg Diciembre 2018: Venlafaxina xr 56mg 

Diciembre de 2018: Venlafaxina xr 58mg Enero de 2019: Venlafaxina xr 56mg

Febrero 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 40 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 7 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5mg

Octubre 2019: venlafaxina xr 18mg aprox.

Enero 2020: 50 perlas Febrero 2020: 40 perlasMarzo 2020: 30 perlas 

Abril 2020: 35 perlas (en crisis)

Agosto 2020: 25 perlas, 23 perlas Noviembre: 03/11/2020 26 perlas 05/11/2030 22 perlas, 22/11/2020 24 perlas.Diciembre: 40 perlas (5 días) , vuelvo a 30 perlas.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sensitive hearing and tingling are common withdrawal symptoms, as are many other strange feelings.

Everyone does differently on different drugs.  There's no way to tell why you seem to do better on 5htp.

11 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

If I decide not to reinstate, what are the chances of ever being able to take an SSRI if I need it? 

There's no way to know how you will respond if in the future you go back on an SSRI.   I can say that going back to 25mg Zoloft or more will likely be too much for your system to handle after being off it for three months.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Does anyone have any helpful info for OCD flare up due to withdrawal

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Daisy.

I agree with Shep and Gridley. Do you have any citalopram left? You might make a liquid with it and take maybe 0.5mg to start. You'll need a small oral syringe to measure 0.5mg in milliliters.

Another possibility is to substitute 0.5mg Prozac. Both Celexa and Prozac come in prescription liquids.

Could this be an option for me with the Prozac instead of Zoloft?

• Moderator Emeritus
17 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

I have asked the other moderators for their opinion.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Administrator

Welcome, LisaLou.

Did you feel better when you were taking Prozac now and then?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The only time I had any problem was when I took a 10mg Prozac 2 days in a row. Thought I would try to start taking them daily but felt like I had serotonin syndrome or something the second night. Otherwise, no issues

I haven’t taken any Prozac since then, about 2 weeks

• Administrator
41 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

Yes, you could take a low dose of Prozac, such as 1mg to start -- every day. Do not skip doses! (My guess is you're not as sensitized as Daisygirlsk.) Prozac comes in a prescription liquid, or you can make your own liquid, for titration. See Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

Yes, you could take a low dose of Prozac, such as 1mg to start.

Just to clarify, this would be 1mg daily.

Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have been taking 5htp, would I need to stop that when starting the Prozac?

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are taking a high dose or have been taking it for a while you might consider doing a quick taper off it:

5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

On 6/24/2011 at 5:08 AM, Punarbhava said:

5-HTP should not be taken concurrently with anti- depressants except under the supervision of a physician, because 5-HTP increases the activity of these drugs.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

How quickly does hypersensitivity begin? The reason I ask is because my doctor tried a direct switch from Zoloft (100mg for years) to 40 mg of Celexa. I took the Celexa for about 2 weeks and went back to Zoloft but it didn’t work and bad anxiety. Ever since then, I’ve been extremely sensitive to medicines and vitamins/supplements. This was back in June. I tapered off Zoloft after that but too fast because still having withdrawal. Was off Zoloft completely in  a couple of months after taking for 8 years. Just don’t know if I should try to reinstate. My doctor wants me to try Paxil but I’m terrified to try anything new or old now. Also, I have been taking 50mg 5htp for a few weeks and it seemed to help my withdrawal till the last 2 days. Do supplements build up and cause side effects when your systems sensitive?

• Moderator Emeritus
56 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

Ever since then, I’ve been extremely sensitive to medicines and vitamins/supplements.

Going on and off psychiatric drugs, changing doses, changing drugs (which would include 5-htp because it affects the chemicals in the brain) have a cumulative effect.  Our nervous system becomes sensitised.  Something that you have done previously may not work the same way the next time you do it because of this.

Q:  Are you taking a multivitamin or vitamin B supplement?  Some B vitamins, especially B6, can be activating.

59 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

My doctor wants me to try Paxil

Paxil is one of the worst drugs to get off.  Also, it is generally better to reinstate the last drug your were taking.  However because you have been off Zoloft since September, Altostrata, this site's founder, has suggested that you might change to Prozac 1mg.

Please read Post #1 of this topic which explains about taking a small amount of the drug (ie Zoloft in your case):  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

This topic doesn't specifically relate to your situation because you have been off Zoloft for several months.  However you might find some of the information helpful:  the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac

Regarding 5-htp:

From https://nootriment.com/5-htp-withdrawal/

Karen said 1 year ago

I’ve been taking 5htp at 50mg a day for only about 10 days. I stopped taking it and had awful insomnia for 5 nights straight and then severe anxiety which I’ve never really felt before. I reinstated the 5htp – felt better instantly and slept really well.
Now reading about possible withdrawal effects, seems totally related to me.

Nootriment Editorial Staff said 1 year ago

Hey Karen,

Most users don’t experience withdrawal symptoms at dosages of 50mg, but everyone is individual and can have a unique experience. To minimize the potential for withdrawal symptoms, it is recommended to taper your dose slowly.

53 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

Also, I have been taking 50mg 5htp for a few weeks and it seemed to help my withdrawal till the last 2 days.

It may be that it was helping with some of the withdrawal symptoms but not all of them.  It also may be that what was working may no longer work for you, ie it may have turned paradoxical (turned on you).  Some members have had this happen with supplements that work for a while and then stop working or can make things worse.

Being completely honest, I have OCD and this whole withdrawal experience has caused a huge flare up. I am not sure if I need to be off something for that long term. I know you said Paxil is the hardest to get off of but what if i need something long term? I’m so confused about all this!?!

I’m also nervous about trying Prozac because of the “serotonin syndrome” type symptoms I had a few weeks ago when I took a 10mg Prozac for 2 days per the doctor trying to start me on that. Now she thinks Paxil because she took that as a bad reaction to Prozac but was it from being hypersensitive ? Drs don’t seem to know much about withdrawal 

• Moderator Emeritus

When a member's nervous system is sensitised, we recommend starting with a small dose.  Alto's suggestion is 1mg for this very reason.

If you read the Reinstatement topic you will see why a small dose is recommended.  Please see the quote below to read the following statements in context. 

your nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal

Reinstating at a low dose reduces the risk of severe adverse reactions

Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you

larger dose will cause an adverse reaction.

If you had adverse reactions while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse reactions but still reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Adverse reactions tend to be dosage-related:  The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.

On 10/9/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:
  • When reinstating, start low to see what you need. You can always increase if necessary. If you've been off the drug for a month or more, many people can find some relief from antidepressant withdrawal symptoms by reinstating as little as 0.5mg-5mg. Do not start at a high dose, your nervous system has been sensitized by withdrawal and you may make it worse -- see a fuller explanation below. 

Additional reasons to reinstate only a partial dose
Reinstating at a low dose reduces the risk of severe adverse reactions in case reinstatement does not work.

• Experiencing withdrawal may have sensitized you to drugs and a larger dose will cause an adverse reaction.
  • These drugs are vastly more powerful than they need to be; often reinstatement at half dosage AT MOST is sufficient and many people do well with a lot less. You want to be taking only the lowest EFFECTIVE dose.
  • Your receptors may have adjusted somewhat (upregulated) during the time you were tapering or had withdrawal symptoms.
  • If you can stabilize on a lower dose, you have less to taper when you finally do go off.
  • If you had adverse reactions while you were taking the drug, a low dose may not trigger the adverse reactions but still reduce withdrawal symptoms. Adverse reactions tend to be dosage-related: The higher the dose, the worse the reaction.
  • You can always adjust the dosage upward if you find you need to.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus
35 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

Drs don’t seem to know much about withdrawal 

Not many medical professionals know about tapering and withdrawal.  That is why this site exists.  And in fact, we have some medical professionals who visit SA to get information for their patients.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, LisaLou said:

How quickly does hypersensitivity begin? The reason I ask is because my doctor tried a direct switch from Zoloft (100mg for years) to 40 mg of Celexa. I took the Celexa for about 2 weeks and went back to Zoloft but it didn’t work and bad anxiety. Ever since then, I’ve been extremely sensitive to medicines and vitamins/supplements. This was back in June. I tapered off Zoloft after that but too fast because still having withdrawal. Was off Zoloft completely in  a couple of months after taking for 8 years. Just don’t know if I should try to reinstate. My doctor wants me to try Paxil but I’m terrified to try anything new or old now. Also, I have been taking 50mg 5htp for a few weeks and it seemed to help my withdrawal till the last 2 days. Do supplements build up and cause side effects when your systems sensitive?

Going and off psychiatric drugs can make your nervous system hypersensitive to other drugs and some supplements and even foods. This can last for a very long time and take years to go away. You should consider yourself hypersensitive for the forseeable future.

13 hours ago, LisaLou said:

I’m also nervous about trying Prozac because of the “serotonin syndrome” type symptoms I had a few weeks ago when I took a 10mg Prozac for 2 days per the doctor trying to start me on that. Now she thinks Paxil because she took that as a bad reaction to Prozac but was it from being hypersensitive ? Drs don’t seem to know much about withdrawal 

10mg Prozac was too much for your hypersensitive system. Too high a dosage of any antidepressant can set off an adverse reaction with symptoms of overstimulation. Very few doctors understand this.

Paxil is a very difficult drug to quit. It's so difficult, doctors probably should stop prescribing it.

Prozac is somewhat easier to taper. If 1mg makes you nervous, try 0.5mg.

It's possible your nervous system is telling you now that it doesn't like 5-HTP, or that the dosage is too high. If you've been taking it regularly, it needs to be tapered, too. You might reduce it to 40mg.

When your nervous system is sensitized, a little goes a long way. More is not better.

Hello, I need advice. I stopped taking Zoloft 4 months ago after a taper (too fast) For the past months I have been experiencing disabling anxiety with OCD flare up,head feels full with pressure and tingling/dizzy feeling. Ears hurt. Extremely sensitive to sounds, jump at everything. Vision gets blurry at times. I thought I could handle all this but recently found out about another medical issue that is causing me to be very stressed out. This stress is not helping the withdrawal! I am terrified to reinstate anything but don’t know what else to do. Any advice is appreciated!

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/7/2019 at 5:34 AM, Altostrata said:

10mg Prozac was too much for your hypersensitive system. Too high a dosage of any antidepressant can set off an adverse reaction with symptoms of overstimulation. Very few doctors understand this.

Paxil is a very difficult drug to quit. It's so difficult, doctors probably should stop prescribing it.

Prozac is somewhat easier to taper. If 1mg makes you nervous, try 0.5mg.

Altostrata is SA's founder.  She has already made a suggestion.

Generally the only known way to reduce withdrawal symptoms is to reinstate the drug you were last taking.  However, when you have been off for a few months taking Prozac may help with the withdrawal symptoms.

Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

We can only offer suggestions so you can make an informed decision.  Only you can make the decision about what to do.

Understanding what is happening might help you to make a decision.

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

I have been taking 100mg 5htp for a few weeks and it seemed to help with my withdrawal symptoms.  I added fish oil and vitamin E over the past week.  Did great for several days but now I feel shaky, anxious, nauseous. Any suggestions as to what is causing this?

• Moderator Emeritus

When adding in new things they should be added one at a time otherwise if problems arise then you don't know what is causing them.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

My suggestion would be to stop both the fish oil and the Vitamin E, give yourself some time without taking them and then reintroduce them one at a time.  That would be the easiest way.

vitamin-e-tocopherol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LisaLou,

I have also had OCD flare up after stopping Effexor. It's not as bad now but in the first few months it really dragged me down. The band of pressure around your head is pretty common, i had it for the first 5 months. Oddly i restarted a tiny dose of Effexor and it was gone instantly. I get it sometimes but not constantly. Seems to be triggered by stress more than anything now.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi LisaLou, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.