SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

wp99137: getting better from fluoxetine and risperidone

wp99137

Had small paranoia/anxiety issue from work and went to the psychiatrist straight, instead of physiologist. I intentionally overdosed on fluoxetine because I was being dumb. I ate them like candy to see how it would get "better". I even drank alcohol. I understand what I did was very wrong and I regret it. I did not take care of my self and I deeply regret it. 

Instead of taking 10mg per day, I took 40 to 60mg per day for a week. After that first week, my doctor switched me to risperidone, 2mg per day (1 mg in the morning and 1mg in the night). After taking the risperidone, I had difficulty breathing and had fast hear rate.

After 3 days of taking risperidone, I had extreme anxiety and started experiencing insomnia. Did NOT sleep for 6 days and went to the Emergency. Only got ambient and it it did not help. Stopped taking risperidone after a week of taking it, although my new doctor lowered the dosage to 0.5mg per day ( I went to a new doctor because the previous one did not believe my abnormal heart rate). I just did not handle the drug as it made my heart beat fast and difficulty in breathing. The new psychiatrist gave me clonazepam and trazodone for sleep and it worked. I was able to catch sleep 3 hours~hours a day. But I had vivid dreams and such. This was for a week and I couldn't sleep when I did not take trazodone when I ran out. 

Also, although it was a short period of time, I felt like I was not my self (when I was taking the risperidone). It was one of the scariest feelings in the world. I was keep thinking about my future and worrying that I would loose my personality. Fortunately, when I stopped taking it (risperidone), I sorta got my personality back. But ALMOST NO SLEEP MAN.

I am now 3 weeks clean from risperidone and 4 weeks clean from fluoxetine. It is almost impossible to fall asleep and I get small anxiety here and there (I take colnazepam when I do). What in the hell is going on hahaha. When I ask my psychiatrist, he reply, "I don't know~". I am talking to him tomorrow and going to tell I did the "cold turkey".

Damn will I be cured of this mess? Does any of you guys have a survival story? Although I took the drugs sort amount of time, it was in large quantity. I hope nothing got damaged and hope to deeply sleep again. 

Fluoxetine:  40mg-50mg, 1to 8 Dec 2018

Clonazepam:  4mg daily, 1 to 8 Dec 2018; 0.5mg PRN from 17 Dec to 7 Jan 2019 (approx 6 days)

Risperidone:  2mg (1mg am & pm), 8th to 15th Dec 2018

Trazadone:  50mg daily  17 Dec 2018 to 7 Jan 2018

• ChessieCat changed the title to wp99137: getting better from fluoxetine and risperidone

Hello all,

My name is wp99137 and I am going through some stuff right now. I know it is not much but I hope you guys can listen to my story. 

My first encounter with psychiatric drug was on 12/1/2018. I was stressing and had minor paranoia due to work. The work was not stressful at all. It was just me being hard on my self. So instead of going to the psychologist, my dad took me to psychiatrist. He was sure that what I was going through was the development of panic disorder. He was taking care of me since he had panic disorder also. But It was a big mistake. My first psychiatrist prescribed me fluoxetine, 10mg per day. However, I was being ignorant and dumb. I took it like candy as I wanted the paranoia to go away. I was taking 40mg to 60 mg per day. Looking back, paranoia would have went away if someone gave me confidence. But what can I do. What's done is done. I also took clonazepam that my dad gave me to relax since I trusted him. This drug was not prescribed by the way. My dad does not believe in the side effects of the drug. It was 12/8/2018 when I stopped taking the drug, because my doctor stopped prescribing fluoxetine. 

So I told my "doctor" that and he switched me to risperidone (oh no). I did not realize he gave me a strong dosage. I was given 2 mg per day, 1 in the morning and 1 in the night. It was terrible. I had difficulty breathing and had fast heart rate. I could not focus on anything and lost my appetite. I told my doctor the symptoms and he said I should not be getting those. He advised me to go to the hospital. What a guy. I also didn't get erection for few days. What was worse was that I was terrified of my symptoms and had no hope of the future. I thought I was going to die from insomnia and began to question many things. I even went to the Emergency because I was so terrified. I was awake for 6 days straight and I only got ambien from the ER. When I took it it only knocked me out for 2 hours. When I think about it, it was hell. I was not feeling like my self and felt very depressed and hopeless. 

So after taking the resperidone for a week like that(I still trusted that I had to take the medication), I went to a new doctor. He told me that I was taking high dosage and advised me to take 0.5 mg per day of risperidone. Because what I went through, I went cold turkey on the medication. This is now 12/15/2018. I have been faking to take the medication in front of my dad because he would freak out when I am not taking the medication. I took clonazepam when I got anxious and took trazedone for sleep. I thought I was getting better after exercising and began to get some small sleep. It was hard falling asleep too but compared to the week when I started taking the risperidone, I had hopes. 

It is now 1/3/2018 and I had trouble falling asleep without trazedone. I took 1mg of clonazepam last night because I had to go to work, and I think I slept some. The thing is, I do not feel the tiredness I used to have before taking these medications. It is frustrating to not sleep fully and wonder if all of these will get fixed. I wonder if my brain got damaged from all those drugs. I still feel anxious here and there also. 

I wish to update this post continuously until I get better. So keep in touch guys!

Clonazepam:  4mg daily, 1 to 8 Dec 2018; 0.5mg PRN from 17 Dec to 7 Jan 2019 (approx 6 days)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, wp99137 said:

My first encounter with psychiatric drug was on 12/1/2018.

Hi, WP.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

If you've only been on these drugs for a little over a month, you may be able to stop taking all or at least part of them. I'm a bit confused on what you are currently still taking. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask plenty of questions. 

Thanks for the follow up.

I am currently taking trazodone 50mg per night to sleep.

Before, I was taking

From December 1, 2018 to December 8, 2018, 40mg to 50mg of Fluoxetine per day, along with 4mg of Clonazepam per day. - Very dumb of me to overdoes. I also drank heavily on December 7th.

From December 8, 2018 to December 15, 2018, 2mg of Risperidone per day. 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the night. 

From December 17, 2018, I was taking 0.5mg of Clonazepam when ever I got anxious. In total, I do not think I took more than 6 days of clonazepam to this day. I am writing as of January 7, 2019. I was also taking 50mg of trazodone for sleep. I was sleeping 3-4 hours a day with trazodone. However, I was also having very vivid dreams. 

On January 6, 2019, I was unable to sleep after taking tazedone. Instead, I had vivid dreams for 2 hours period. 

Its kinda scary that all of this is happening for weeks now. Should I go to the hospital or what? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Have you taken any other drugs prior to 1st December 2018?  If yes, please add the information to the drug signature.

I have used the information provided and created a drug signature for you.  Please check that it is accurate and add the dates for Trazadone.  Then copy and paste it here:   Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature, and click Save.  Thank you.

Trazadone:  50mg,       < please add dates here  ? month, year to current

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yep thats right!

Thank you so much for the follow up!

2 days ago, when I woke up, I felt that I wasn't breathing! Scary! I believe that something in the central nervous system got damaged. 

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, wp99137 said:

Thank you for doing the drug signature.  Just one tine correction.  7 Jan 2018 should be 2019.  Only 8th Jan so still looks like you are still getting used to being in a new year 😉

15 minutes ago, wp99137 said:

2 days ago, when I woke up, I felt that I wasn't breathing! Scary! I believe that something in the central nervous system got damaged. 

Your nervous system has been destabilised from all the drugs you have taken and gone off.  It will take time.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

And healing isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

This is another helpful topic:

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Edited by ChessieCat

Thank you ChessieCat!

I am just terrified because I haven't slept almost at all for 4 weeks now. I still can go to job and junction but my body is tired. My mind is awake so that is the scariest part...

I also had rushed thinking that I could not stop few days ago too for few hours. Keep getting vivid dreams... 

And other psych "doctor" said it was a complicated issue and told me he will not accept me as a patient... I wanted to change doctor because the current one will not listen to my symptom. I told him that I got anxious after taking the medication and was unable to sleep... The only answer I got was I had panic disorder... Honestly, I never had a panic attack before taking all these drugs...

Will this get better? I feel fine now but still... 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, wp99137 said:

Will this get better?

Please see this topic:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Other helpful topics:

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

• Moderator Emeritus

Instead of comparing how you feel now with how you felt at your best, it can be helpful to compare how you are feeling now with how you were feeling at your west.

Acceptance

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi wp, 

Welcome to SA from me too. I’m sorry you’re in such a predicament. Everyone on here is struggling so much, it’s very sad. 

Yes, you’ll find that most doctors don’t have a clue about withdrawals. You can go from doctor to doctor and still end up with the same thing. My doctor knows absolutely nothing about withdrawals, but I just go there to get my script. After that it’s all up to me, and I figure out my own tapering. I’m water titrating now. 

Wishing you all all the best💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thank you Carmie! I love communicating with people out there with the same situations. 

I agree that people are going through such tough times due to misdiagnoses and ignorant doctors. I asked my doctor what was wrong with me and he did not have a clue. I tried going to a new doctor but he said that this is a complicated issue and cut me off. 

My biggest issue is not being able to sleep naturally. I have to take trazodone to sleep 3-4 hours max per day. Even when I do, I have vivid dreams. vivid enough that I remember the faces, what I did, where we went to. The dreams are usually nightmare-like dreams and sometimes it is disturbing. 

I try exercising to get my mind off and get my body tired so that I can sleep. Although I like to think that it is working, I do not think it does.

And I cannot stop thoughts regarding my problems. A month ago, I was just going through stressful time, but was not going a situation like this... 

I am going back to my psychiatrist to figure out the problem and see what he gives me to solve this problem.

Pray for me as I will pray for yours. 

• Administrator

Welcome, wp.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:22 PM, wp99137 said:

I am now 3 weeks clean from risperidone and 4 weeks clean from fluoxetine. It is almost impossible to fall asleep and I get small anxiety here and there (I take colnazepam when I do). What in the hell is going on hahaha. When I ask my psychiatrist, he reply, "I don't know~". I am talking to him tomorrow and going to tell I did the "cold turkey".

Your nervous system was upset by your overuse of the drugs. It will take time for it to settle down. The pattern of healing is the same as that for withdrawal syndrome. See

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

In the meantime, getting 3-4 hours of sleep with trazodone is about the best you can do. Trazodone is not a great drug, but at least it's working somewhat. You probably will have to taper off it eventually.

You can help your sleep return with a little melatonin and some changes in your habits, see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

You probably won't find doctors much help. They know little about adverse drug reactions. You will need to be patient and allow your nervous system to settle down.

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah I figured...

Going to sleep institution soon to figure it out.

Anyone going through the same thing?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi wp, 

I’m so sorry you’re struggling to sleep. A lot of people on this site are going through the same thing. Im still sleeping because the Seroquel, which I’m tapering off, puts me to sleep. It’s notorious for causing rebound insomnia though, so I will probably have trouble sleeping when I get off it. Some people have trouble sleeping even when they’re on it though. 

One night when I didn’t take it I didn’t sleep the whole night. Good old rebound insomnia! 

It’s not a good idea to add more meds into the mixture though, as you’ll end up having to withdraw from them as well. I don’t know  anything much about sleep clinics, but I vaguely remember someone on here went to one but it didn’t do much good. I hope it helps you. Please let us know how you go, I’m curious. Take care💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

It is day 1/10/2019

I feel like my self today and I am on the positive side! I think I got some sleep last night. It was not long but oh well. 

The anxiety, restless feeling, and worrying have reduced!

Few days ago I had a anger break down and it was my first time having such anger! I went to the gym to cool it off and it worked! 

I understand that if you actually have mental disorder, psychiatrists are the people to go to... But know that misdiagnosing people can lead them to hell... 

But as of now I can think clearly and my worrying reduced to the level were I enjoy playing my guitar and learning knew things!

I hope that you guys are pushing through and staying on the positive side. I know it is not much but trying to think positively and forcefully smiling works!

I genuinely pray for you guys out there dealing with withdrawal. Every night I will pray for you guys and hope for the best. 

I know my case is different and you might go through something more. But know that this will be only a part of our lives and will be gone soon or later...

I used to think my life will be full of mood swings and depressed feelings. Thought that I will loose it all. But its okay to fall down once. Because we all can get back up. 

I may go through mood swings but it has been good for the past couple of days. I will let you guys know!

Edited by ChessieCat
removed blasphemy

• Moderator Emeritus

These topics might be helpful:

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

neuro-emotions

managing-anger

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Here is an update. 

This week, I had sleep with out vivid dreams! Although they were in intervals, I had sleep! And I feel refreshed!

Only down side is that my new psychiatrist is advising me to take  Abilify for my mood swings after getting off from multiple poisons. 

The thing is I can trust this new doctor. She gave me a low dosage and told me the effects, side effects, and other variables that my previous "doctors"(devils) did not mention. I am going back next week to see if I can come off it! But I am getting sleep!!! 

It has been a damn journey although it is not as excruciating as that of other people here. But it looks like I am getting towards the goal!

I have quit my job to treat my mental status and lost everything. But hopefully I am looking at a new beginning! 

I will update this page next week to tell how the appointment goes!

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature with Abilify:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing wp?💚