Bowel problems and constipation

icequeen

Hi! I haven't been posting here for years but I must draw your attention to a withdrawal problem that can be dangerous. I withdrew rathder rapidly from sertraline almost fifteen years ago because they induced acute akathisia. I have since  then lived with horrible symptoms without much improvement and severe constipation has been and still is one of them. Anyway, it got so bad that I had to have two emergency surgeries for paralytic ileus about a year ago. Those of you who get constipation - please take laxatives  that increase bowel motility so you don't end up like me! Parts of my bowels were necrotic and had to be removed. The little improvement in other symptoms I had made - dizziness, spasms, hyponatremia, eye pain, weakness, sleeplessness, nausea shortness of breath, shaking, blurred vision etc etc were all made worse after the surgeries and I'm back in year one.  Never ignore  a troublesome physical symptom! 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Warning: Potentially dangerous bowel problems
  • Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, icequeen said:

Those of you who get constipation - please take laxatives  that increase bowel motility

There are various ways to increase bowel motility by incorporating fibre into your diet as well as drinking plenty of water.  Psyllium husk, prunes, dried apricots, increase high fibre vegetables and change to bread with added fibre instead of refined white bread.  You can get some very nice high fibre breads now that aren't dry like in the "old days".  Gentle walking can also help.  Also don't wait if you feel the need to go.  That can cause problems or make them worse.  If you do need to take a laxative I suggest using the natural types, like Senokot, a brand name of senna, a natural vegetable laxative.  I would urge caution about using chemical laxatives.  Do your research.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes, I know and knew about all that and it simply didn't work for me. I always eat whole grain rye bread and half of my meals are vegetables and fruits that are high in fiber but nothing worked for me. If you get severe constipation and simple methods like that don't work, watch out! It is dangerous. 

• Moderator Emeritus
55 minutes ago, icequeen said:

Yes, I know and knew about all that and it simply didn't work for me.

What I posted was general advice for the members.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

55 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

What I posted was general advice for the members.

I'm sorry if i sounded critical. It was not my intention but I thought you were replying to me.  The fibers do increase the volume of the stools but according to the hospital doctors I spoke to they do not increase motility. For some people more voluminous stools makes it easier to pass but the doctors said that the fibers can even slow down movement plus that the  higher your blood glucose and the higher the fat contents in your diet, the slower your bowels move. They do not know about the problems we have after antidepressants though and of course none but one of them believed me and that is no news to any victim of these poisonous drugs. Excpt for the motility increasing laxatives, the only thing I've found to be a bit effective is very strong coffee which I know many members here don't tolerate but luckily I do. 

There is apparently evidence that reducing or eliminating fibre improves constipation 

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• ChessieCat changed the title to Warning: potentially dangerous bowel problems

Bubbles, that is exactly what I was taught in hospital. I was told that if I get very constipated again, stick to soups for a while and I was also told that it's OK to eat vegetables but they should be boiled.  Orange juice is OK but not whole oranges because if they are not very properly chewed, they can cause ileus. Then there was of course the usual advice - walk, walk, walk, which is easier said than done in my condition. I am still very dizzy, stiff and short of breath and it gets worse for every minute I sit, stand or walk. It's approaching fifteen years now and having two surgeries for ileus plus I had sepsis as well was too much in this condition. I'm now stiffer and dizzier than ever before. I was badly traumatized by the withdrawal before and even worse now after the surgeries. I have no idea what meds they used during it but apparently something that made other symptoms worse. I am glad if I can stagger across the floor unaided one year after. it.  I honestly don't know how to be able to go on like this but I keep trying of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Magnesium citrate can help with constipation. 

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

They tried to give me that in hospital and I tried at home as well but my body shut down even more and I stopped breathing and got even weaker. I was anemic as well and got blood transfusions and that didn't help ether. My only option for the constipation is tablets that increas motility but they  don't cure any of the other symptoms of course. I don't tolerate supplements of any kind and can't go back on SSRIs. I tried to reinstate three times and they cause immediate akathisia, cramps and worse stiffness.

I have also had surgery for bowel problems (non AD related- adhesions) and was told at the time meds can cause the constipation problems, rather than withdrawing from them. 

Intestinal pseudo-obstruction (paralytic ileus) can cause signs and symptoms of intestinal obstruction, but doesn't involve a physical blockage. In paralytic ileus, muscle or nerve problems disrupt the normal coordinated muscle contractions of the intestines, slowing or stopping the movement of food and fluid through the digestive system.

Paralytic ileus can affect any part of the intestine. Causes can include:

• Abdominal or pelvic surgery
  • Infection
  • Certain medications that affect muscles and nerves, including tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline  and imipramine (Tofranil), and opioid pain medications, such as those containing hydrocodone (Vicodin) and oxycodone (Oxycontin)
  • Muscle and nerve disorders, such as Parkinson's disease

See here https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/intestinal-obstruction/symptoms-causes/syc-20351460

Just mentioning in case this reassures others, it is meant to be usually the meds are the cause rather than going off them. In fact, it's one of the reasons I chose to try to get off my meds. 

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

With regard the diet advice I have been told similar, you can blend stuff up but it can be hard to get enough fibre. Not easy. I find being active helps with motility, swimming and walking for example. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I take serrapeptase and nattokinese for health problems unrelated to the bowel. They are enzymes that work symbiotically with one another. I haven’t had any problems taking them during the withdrawals. A happy side effect has been they make your bowel movements as regular as clockwork. I get them from iherb. I don’t know if it will affect withdrawals, but I haven’t had any problems with them whatsoever. 

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 1 year later...

Constipation

Does anyone have serious constipation from ssri withdrawal? I eat extremely well with lots of fruits/veggies/etc and lots of fresh water. There is no reason for me to be so backed up, but my bowels are very slow atm. 10 months off Prozac. Anyone else? Even with psyllium fiber and herbal laxatives I can't get things going well.

Thanks!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Took Accutane in 2007 at age 19 and a severe reaction to it threw me into Psychiatry's dirty hands. Suffered through a number of c/t's, rapid tapers, drug switches, reinstatements before finally figuring out what was happening to me in 2012 after checking out of psych hospital with a prescription for Ativan and Prozac. (Went in because was unknowingly in Xanax c/t wd and dying at the time from it).

May 2016 - Last dose of Valium after 2 year long taper from 15mg

June 2017- Last dose of the corticosteroid Hydrocortisone after taper

July 2019- Last dose of Prozac after 2 year long taper from 30mg

Was on Accutane, Lexapro, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Prozac, Hydrocorisone, Valium, and thyroid meds when none of them were needed. Still recovering to this day and hope to be healed in the coming months, but taking it one day at a time.

Yes. I had to have surgery twice for it. It caused ileus and hernia. I had tried all kinds of diets and natural remedies. I’m still constipated and have to take laxatives that stimulate motility. Proper ones from the pharmacy. If you can’t or won’t go back on Prozac and can’t excercise due to withdrawal problems you must get things moving. Severe constipation can be dangerous. Good luck! 

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

A search for constipation support group found this:  https://www.facebook.com/Constipation-Support-Group-1007142446125421/

Try searching for constipation forum.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 5:51 PM, AlaskanGlacier said:

Does anyone have serious constipation from ssri withdrawal? I eat extremely well with lots of fruits/veggies/etc and lots of fresh water. There is no reason for me to be so backed up, but my bowels are very slow atm. 10 months off Prozac. Anyone else? Even with psyllium fiber and herbal laxatives I can't get things going well.

Thanks!

My partner began having GI tract problems within months of starting citalopram over a decade ago.  The doctor insisted SSRIs only cause such issues for the first few weeks. Fast forward to this summer--my partner began tapering citalopram in July but got panicky and updosed back to 40 mg.  Subsequently, the nausea and constipation grew worse than ever, despite a healthy diet, plus Metamucil and, most recently, Miralax. 

We've been thinking his symptoms might improve if he tries another gradual taper.  But after reading what others say here, I'm not so sure.  Does WD tend to amplify the symptoms you had while on an SSRI, or does it cause a reversal to the opposite extreme?  Or is there any consistent pattern whatsoever?  

Joined on behalf of my 68-year-old disabled partner

Current Rx drugs:  clonazepam 1.75 mg divided q.i.d., citalopram 40 mg

Daily OTC meds:  Metamucil b.i.d., Miralax b.i.d. 

PRN OTC meds:  Mag Cit, Milk of Mag, Dulcolax (tabs or suppositories), Ibuprofen, Tums

History

2007--clonazepam 1 mg t.i.d., citalopram 20 mg  

2013--clonazepam 1 mg t.i.d., alprazolam 1 mg b.i.d., citalopram 40 mg 

2019--rapid taper off of alprazolam in Dec

2020--tapered from 3 to 1.75 mg clonazepam Mar-Jun.  Tapered citalopram by 10% cuts to 34 mg in Jul-Aug;  reinstated 40 mg in Sept.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bowel problems and constipation
  • 10 months later...

I can't seem to get my "GI system" on a good path. My stomach has been so off with indigestion too. Its either constipated or reverse. Is this normal after coming off 40 years on SSRI's?

Paxil 20mg - 10years

Paxil 10 mg - 5mg

Starting tapering 2020 and had bad withdrawl

Currently on Liquid Paxil to taper .5ml every week lowering  .05 ml one week at a time until down to nothing

Currently on liquid Zoloft -20mg

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Suggestion for constipation.

Chia seeds - NOTE with lots of water, otherwise they might cause constipation.

• 4 months later...

I went through a very constipated phase. It was NOT fun. What ended up helping the most was doing gentle warm-water enemas and retraining my pelvic floor muscles to relax and respond to signaling around the urge to defecate. There are various causes to constipation. My analysis determined that my case was due to pelvic floor dyssynergia, which made sense to me given the fact that I was dealing with other muscle coordination issues as well. So my selected approach was neuromuscular retraining and I believe this is what ultimately helped. Prior to that I tried many different remedies, though, incl. all the ones already mentioned in this thread, and more. None of those interventions helped, other than allowing a process of elimination. Eventually whatever neural activity is responsible for signaling, "We gotta go," grew more distinct/recognizable to me, and I was better able to respond effectively. It took about six months of consistent practice, throughout which I noticed steady improvement. Now I'm pretty much regular. I wouldn't say my bowel movements are perfect, there's certainly room for improvement. But I'm holding off on any more overtly gut-related modifications such as supplements or probiotics. I may look into that down the line but don't want to rock the boat right now.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Just now, Ariel said:

a process of elimination

lol 

sorry, this one got away from me

no pun intended!!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

For those who find themselves having to "push" a lo , I have to say, this has made a huge difference for me! 

If you can't watch the video, get something like a small toolbox -about 8 inches high works for my short legs- and rest your feet on it. Lean forward. Things just move on through much more smoothly with a lot less straining.

Hope it helps someone else.

65 y/o Female

Current meds:

Started:26 February, Propranolol 5 mg 8am and 8 pm

Started: 11 March 2022, Ativan : 0 .25mg 1pm and 9pm

Off Seroquel since early October 2022

Off Lunesta since early September 2022 

Other meds: Levothyroxine 50mcg with extra 25mcg Mon. Wed. Fri.

Just now, Pollyjay said:

For those who find themselves having to "push" a lot , I have to say, this has made a huge difference for me! 

If you can't watch the video, get something like a small toolbox -about 8 inches high works for my short legs- and rest your feet on it. Lean forward. Things just move on through much more smoothly with a lot less straining.

65 y/o Female

Current meds:

Started:26 February, Propranolol 5 mg 8am and 8 pm

Started: 11 March 2022, Ativan : 0 .25mg 1pm and 9pm

Off Seroquel since early October 2022

Off Lunesta since early September 2022 

Other meds: Levothyroxine 50mcg with extra 25mcg Mon. Wed. Fri.

• 1 year later...

Hi, just to say that i have realized that what i was doing make me ill.

The more the constipation goes, the more i took fibers and complete bran.

But recently i realized that i does not support  whole grain with gluten. I support whole grain if there is no gluten.

But whole grain with gluten stop completely my transit.

So now i avoid whole grain containing gluten.

It make a difference for me.

I had realized this because if the evening i eat potatoe, the morning i had no pain when i wake up and walk, and my sleep was better.

But if the evening i eat wheat whole bran, i had pain when i woke up and walk and my sleep was less correct.

I rarely sense the pain when i lay down. But when i wake up, and start walking i feel pain in intestinal zone.

so now i eat gluten free diet avoiding gluten grain (rye, oat, barley, wheat, triticale,spelled, kamut).

(i am french)

1998 prazépam, citalopram /1999 paroxetine prazepam /2000 paroxétine /2001venafaxine, alprazolam, clomipramine * 2002 (dont remember)/2003 clomipramine, alprazolam /2004 clomipramine /2005 alprazolam /2006(dont remember) * 2007citalopram, alprazolam, prazépam, venlafaxine /2008(dont remember) /2009 venlafaxine /2010 venlafaxine *All precedent withdrawal were very fast. I tried many times to stop but didn't know what happened. *2011 mirtazapine (22,5 mg) , norset , risperdal (cold turkey for risperdal and norset, analysis by doctor say that my body does not support and i was in danger) /2012 mirtazapine / 2013 mirtazapine  *october 2014 mirtazapine (15mg) - putting down slowly.   *when i was good for one month i  down 1ml. (1ml of 100ml of water in which there was 1 pill of 15mg of mirtazapine. At the end i remove 1ml of 50ml of water but with 0,5 pill it does the same concentration.) (i down more like "how i feel, because at the beginning i had a calendar tapping 10% every 15 days and i was really bad, so i decided to see one month and after if i was trust in my body, i remove 10% of the dose at the beginning; and at the end i remove 1ml (when the 10% was lower than 1ml). It was more how i feel. (it is just the last 1 ml that i remove rapidly because i think i was attached mentally and i need to break. and 1ml of 50ml of 15/2mg is just 1ml correspond to 0.15mg. ).  -juillet 2017 stop all. 

nov 2017 tetany and gastritis. I found "euphytose", "spasmine", "phyto-stress" from Govital(the more efficient if crisis because more concentrated)  efficient. If very bad i take valerian extract 1000mg (stop crisis). 

january 2022: I survive. Still having no hunger sensation.

It's very sad and I admire so much bravery. I've had stomach problems since weaned off and I'm trying probiotics for now. pain of varying intensity but continuous.

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 12:03 PM, Pollyjay said:

For those who find themselves having to "push" a lo , I have to say, this has made a huge difference for me! 

I know this is an old post, but I was desperate and thought I’d try this…been unable to go properly for about a week.  Out of desperation i tried this and it worked!  Thank goodness!!!

- Prescribed Xanax for 2 weeks after knee surgery in 2016 (reaction to anesthesia)

- cold turkeyed Xanax and was in hospital then bedridden

-  Found Ashton Manuel and crossed over to 15 mg’s Valium

- Tapering off Valium with pills and compound 2016-2018

-  Prescribed Remeron nightly in July 2017 for nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and mood (1.875 mg’s)

-  Finished Valium taper July 2018

- on mirt from 2017-2021 slowly tapering

- got down to .25 and got very ill, updosed to .50 mgs

-slowly tapered and finished July 2023

-As of January 2024 in acute withdrawals and sleep is the worst!

@Rhernan Yogurt every morning has greatly improved my intestinal transit. Have you tried? I use one that has only two ingredients (milk and dairy yeast). I use it every day.

- 2012-2019: Paroxetine (20-40 mg)

- Jan-Mar 2020: Fast-tapering. 3 months from 40 to 0 mg

- Apr 2020 - June 2022: No drugs. Severe hellish PAWS.

- June 2022 - Feb 2023: Tried St John's Wort, Lexapro, Luvox, 5 htp, Paroxetine reinstatement. All caused more side effects than benefits. I also tried Mindfullness and CBT, both didn't help.

- 2023: Magnesium L-Threonate 370 mg (first worthwhile sup), Omega 3 (1000DHA + 500EPA), vitamin c 500 mg and multivitamin. No alcohol.

Currently, overall improvement of 40% in symptoms.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy