SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Liver detox, gallbladder flush, internal cleansing, enemas, fasting & other detoxification methods

poodlebell

Main things I'd look out for are:

--Caffeine. Many people (most actually) have to avoid it altogether during withdrawal as it ramps up symptoms. I don't know if this is a problem in your case.

--"Cleanses" of various sorts are designed for people who have normal CNS to begin with. When you do a cleanse, any reputable practitioner will tell you that it will be stressful to your body. This can be very challenging to people struggling with CNS healing, who generally need LESS stress for healing, rather than more.

--High colonics and to a lesser degree enemas will mess up your normal flora and may perturb your enteric nervous system. There's a lot of recent research showing that intestinal flora affect the gut's nervous system, which then affects the CNS. This is what the GAPs diet is based on--normalizing natural flora, healing the gut, in order to stabilize the nervous system effects. I'd be careful with screwing with that.

Also, I don't remember reading about coffee enemas in the GAPS book...just regular enemas to deal with constipation only. Did I miss something?

A couple of years ago I looked into coffee enemas and I didn't find much actual scientific evidence to support them. Everything I found, if you traced it back, came from the Gershon Institute.

It's not just Alto who doesn't think these cleanse type approaches are a good thing in withdrawal. Gianna Kali, a pioneer in peer resource psych drug withdrawal, who's seen hundreds of people all over the world through the process, also finds that these intense cleanses often do more harm than good. As she explains (better than I do), these alternative treatments and cleanses and various supplement therapies are designed for people whose CNS's are normal. Which is not the case if you're dealing with psych drug effects and withdrawal.

Not trying to change your mind--you've obviously thought this through for yourself and you're a grownup. Just putting my thoughts into the discussion.

I will be curious to hear how this works for you, and I certainly do understand the willingness and desire to experiment with something that could help.

Thanks for sharing this Rhi, I have taken most things into consideration already.

- Caffeine (when ingested orally) did have negative effects on my early on. It gave me depressive mood pretty much every time. But I seem to be able to tolerate it a lot better now, and if do feel feel bad after doing the enema, I will simply stop doing them.

- The stress on a sensitive nervous system has been my main concern as well. I do feel I have recovered adequately now to take the risk. I'm 42 months out, and have been a vegetable until this day, so stress hasn't been a concern to me. So while no stress is obviously a good idea, what I have been doing so far just isn't helping much. I can't sit around and be sick forever, then I'd rather just kill myself and end the suffering. I have to start doing SOMETHING.

- The colon clinic told me they would give me a supplement that would replenish my the good bacteria that is inevitably going to be flushed out. I think this is a minor concern, unless your normal diet is McDonalds 3 times a day.

But I just want to clarify, that I do not suffer from withdrawal. My situation differs from many other people here. I did not, ever, feel good/normal/stable while taking any drug, I only got very sick. I wasn't functioning normally at any point in time while taking any of the 6-7 different anti-depressants they gave me. After about 14 months of this cycling through different poisons torture, my brain and nervous system gave in. Something exploded inside my brain. I could feel the damage as it was happening. And it was at that point I had to cold turkey the drug. But the actual damage was already done by the time the drug had to be withdrawn.

So my situation is not your typical withdrawal scenario, where the brain has to get used to the absence of the drug. This was a very severe type of adverse drug reaction, that lead to the same type of symptoms that you experience in withdrawal. So while the same areas of the brain may be affected, the damage and the mechanics of the damage is different. I think this distinction is important to make, because while withdrawal seems to be purely a neurotransmitter problem, mine could very well have been a metabolic problem. But unless I ever get a fMRI or PET scan (which seems unlikely at this point - I have tried), I will never get a chance to survey the damage. I just have to rely on Time to bail me out of this mess. But I feel like I have given it Time, and it's not very effective. I have a life to live. And now I have the energy to try different things, and I have deemed this colon procedure to be relatively harmless, so unless I stumble upon anecdotal accounts of people having their digestion system destroyed by these procedures (I have looked, and I haven't found any), then I will give it a try.

Worst thing that could happen is that I feel worse for a while. But I am willing to take that risk.

Suffered a severe adverse reaction to the tricyclic drug Nortriptyline in October 2008, which completely wrecked my brain and my nervous system. I am currently in my 38th month of recovery, with many symptoms still present, and with no improvement in quality of life, which is still nonexistant. The damage is so severe, that I fear I've been permanently disabled. I struggle to get outside as often as I can (still only for short periods of time), but I am still very much a vegetable mentally.

Jackson,

Your case is a different beast and your symptoms remind me a bit of InNeedOfHope and her bad adverse reaction to Cymbalta and Cipro. Both *seem* like a neuropathic-type pain. I also thought of you when someone recently mentioned Intracranial Hypertension (IH) and wondered if you'd been evaluated for that (or Intracranial hemorrhage/bleed)? I've had years of headaches and various tests over the years, but never heard of IH until someone's recent post. (I will find it and open a topic) I've had very pattern of pain - ram's head arch from back of head into temple. It began around the time I began Zoloft MANY years along with bruxism so all got muddled together.

(Lisa's Story Quit the Cure)

It sounds like you are doing better in many ways so I'm confused by what you mean that you are a 'vegetable'.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Jackson, what you have is neurological instability, similar to that those of us with prolonged withdrawal syndrome are suffering.

You may prefer Dr. Stuart Shipko's terms "tardive neurotoxic syndrome" or "neurotoxicity." (Read the whole topic.)

At any rate, you seem to be set on trying coffee enemas no matter what. Rather than arguing about it further, please do let us know how this works for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Read in the bit about What is detoxification on cortisol going into fat cells and wonder if this is one reason that we keep getting bad days

~ Back to Articles Index Page ~

Spring is a time of growth, renewal and fresh starts. Just as our gardens will need tending, so will our bodies. Emerging from winter’s slower, more sedentary season, spring is the ideal time to undertake a cleansing or “detoxification” program.

As part of a health maintenance program, there are benefits to giving your body seasonal service – just as you would service your car after struggling through winter weather. This not only wards off illness, but also rejuvenates your organs and your tissues. Detoxification, the traditional naturopathic concept of cleansing our bodies of waste and toxins to improve our systems’ functioning and energy production, can give you back that spring in your step and energy to spare. For more than 100 years, naturopathic medicine has identified a host of diseases that are treated by employing a detoxification process.

Many different types of cleanses exist, ranging from minor to major. A weekend detox can consist of simple elements such as eating only raw, “live” foods, resting, bathing and journaling or meditation. A major cleanse is usually designed by a professional and can last for weeks, incorporating personalized elements for your individual condition and desired outcome. Let’s take a closer look at the process of detoxification and what a cleanse looks like.

WHAT IS DETOXIFICATION?

Detoxification is the process of releasing accumulated toxins and waste products that build up throughout our system. The words “detox” and “cleanse” are often used interchangeably with detoxification.

Detoxification occurs within our bodies on a natural and continuous basis. If we could avoid insomnia, inadequate diets, and environmental toxins (such as food additives, solvents, pesticides, herbicides), our bodies would continue to take care of this elimination on their own. Imbalanced, emotional reactions to stress can also overload our system with excess chemicals such as free radicals, homocysteine (associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease), and cortisol. Toxins that the body is unable to eliminate will build up in bodily tissues, typically in our fat stores.

Detoxifying, or “cleansing”, becomes necessary when this natural process becomes overwhelmed and stops working efficiently. This can happen if our diet and exercise regime slips, when we get ill, when we take prescription medications for extended periods, or from natural causes such as a weakened immune system due to age.

Regular nocturnal habits are important as the majority of detoxification takes place at night when your body is not preoccupied with daily functions such as digestion or locomotion. Eating late at night can throw off the detoxification process because the digestion process has to begin all over again. Getting the proper amount of rest and “down time” is essential to eliminate toxins and waste products from your body.

AM I TOXIC?

The following symptoms can indicate your body’s need for a cleanse: •frequent or reoccurring colds, congestion

•“stuffed up” in the morning

•frequent/infrequent urination

•numbness

•feeling heavy, sluggish or tired

•mild depression, irritability

•dark circles under your eyes

•a flare-up of allergies

•nausea

•weight gain

•declining or poor skin condition and color, rashes, acne

•a thickly coated, yellowish tongue

•morning breath or constant bad breath

•bitter taste in the mouth

•headaches

•excess gas and bloating

poodlebell

I'm not Alto but my take on detoxing is that it really can be unwise for a person in acute or protracted withdrawal. Many detox protocols include deviation from normal eating, pooping, bathing etc. Shaking things up, even for a good cause, can do more harm than good.

In general, though I'm not an expert, the body has organs designed to filter what enters our organism. They have a max capacity and beyond that they handle their filtrations duties in ways that aren't conducive to good health. There are a lot of different ways that humans can max out their capacity in the 21st century.

However, "detox" salespeople peddle protocols and programs many of which do little or no good, possibly much harm and so discernment is a valuable.

I took two "detox" baths six months ago and my body has not yet returned to its normal temperature (and lots of other crap) since then. Careful.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi Alex

I was not excluding others from comments but know that Alto has done a lot of research into cortisol.

I did not make it clear, I was not thinking of detox, know that this is bad in w/d, I was interested in the fact that it says that cortisol goes into the fat cells, and wonder if it then comes out of the cells at a later date and causes us to have a bad day. I seem to have bad days after doing more, using more energy up.

I dont know a lot on how the body works, but have learnt a lot in this w/d. but I thought that the cortisol would go into the blood stream and them out of the body, was surprised that it could go into the fat cells.

hope this is more clear now.

Thanks for answering on the detox though.

poodlebell

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't think cortisol is actually stored in fat cells. Probably the confusion is that cortisol is involved in fat metabolism, in fat cell storage, in getting fat into and out of fat cells in various ways. It does do that. Cortisol is involved in the process of fat cell storage of fats.

But I can't find any reference to it actually being stored in fat cells, and that wouldn't make sense anyway because it can be produced spontaneously and very quickly by the adrenal glands whenever necessary.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

pb, I attached your topic to this one, which answers a lot of your questions.

(When you post an article, please post a link to the original, as well as the date and source of the article.)

Cortisol is essential to your body's functioning. See wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

You can't cleanse the body of cortisol, the body would stop functioning.

When we talk about too much cortisol, we're talking about cortisol being produced too often or at the wrong time. Cortisol is not stored in fat, or protein, or anywhere in the body. The body naturally breaks down cortisol, plasma cortisol half-life is about an hour.

Sorry, "cleasing" cortisol does not seem to be possible, or any kind of solution for withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto thank you for your as usual excellent advice, I knew you would be able to answer this one thank you poodlebell

Edited by KarenB
Merged similar topics

• 1 year later...

I saw a wonderful massage therapist last night & she gave me the recipe for a detox bath. I know that I have seen one with epsom salts but never this recipe. 

1 cup apple cider vinegar

3 tablespoons ginger

Draw a hot bath and add vinegar & ginger as it is filling. Mix well. Stay for 30 min. She stressed the 30 min. Drink a lot of water before & after. After the 30 min don't rinse or wash off, just towel dry. She said that you will sweat a lot in the tub, but that is good.& normal.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

Sounds nice.  I would opt for Epsom Salts, not crazy about the smell of vinegar.  The ginger and apple cider vinegar are additives fo juicing recipes to help detox.  So I guess it works internally and externally.

thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

It sounds wonderful ..Thank you Zoe..

What kind of ginger?

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

I'm a big fan of baths...and have been doing detox/soothing baths almost daily for several years...it's been a HUGE part of coping and healing for me...

I would like to say two things...one: as far as heat goes...some of us at certain points in withdrawal do not tolerate heat well at all...it's important to listen to this and not make the bath real hot at those times...a warm or tepid bath is better than no bath...heat can exacerbate all symptoms unnecessarily sometimes...I use the rule...as hot as I can tolerate comfortably...these days that's quite hot...at other times I took barely warm baths.

And secondly...our skin is like a sponge...it will absorb anything in the water...and so, because of some of our hypersensitivities some stuff that others might do well with can create reactions in others...this includes vinegar and epsom salt for example...but can include pretty much anything...it's good to be aware of this too.

I did a post on an epsom salt bath here: http://beyondmeds.com/2012/08/29/healing-bath-for-anyone-who-hurts-or-simply-needs-to-relax/

I often use sea salt...baking soda...and bentonite clays too...in various combos or alone...

baths have been a life saver for me. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 year later...

I posted on the blog about this topic again today...

it's always good to remember this if you've not tried it in a while: 

Healing bath: a longstanding coping and gently medicinal therapy http://wp.me/p5nnb-bE4

•  
  •  

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 2 months later...

For anyone who may be into baths for detox I've discovered a clay that has totally stepped things up in a good way. I've been using baths for several years...they're generally gentle and for a long time was one of the only consistently detoxing sort of things I could tolerate. I suspect this particular clay would have been too much early on, but right now it's just heavenly and really helping with this phase of healing. It's wiped out the remainder of my pain lately (which still gets bad in the cold, dry winter...but for several days now even in the midst of a polar blast I've been pain free...that's a first)...anyway...with the full acknowledgment and understanding that different things work for different people and I have no idea who else this might work so well for, if it catches your eye, check it out. I don't take it internally...I only use it in the bath. I've used other clays and this one is different. He calls it Sacred Clay and I personally can totally see why.

http://www.vitalityherbsandclay.com/contact-us/vitality-herbs-and-clay.html

it's expensive...I'm buying it bulk at this point...it gets cheaper that way and you can save it in the tub by using a washcloth to stop it from going down the drain so it collects...of course no one else can use the tub so it's not an option for all households...but it makes it quite reasonably priced if one goes to that length...otherwise it's expensive...

• 2 months later...

http://vitalitymagazine.com/article/toxic-psychiatry/

a lot of the same stuff we are use to seeing ... but one bit about toxins being stored in fat was interesting.. tho have heard before it is not true... don't know if it is or not. 

What seemed curious to me ... special notes on effexor... I will copy so you can see... 

"Effexor is a drug that is potentially highly toxic to the liver. The functioning of the liver depends to a very large extend on the sufficient production and availability of glutathione. It is a detoxification compound from the amino acids cystine, glutamic acid and glycine. Glutathione is found mostly in the liver, the body’s detoxification centre, but also in the intestinal tract, the lungs, and is always present also in the blood stream. When the liver is presented with toxins and cannot make enough glutathione to neutralize them by excreting them via the bile ducts, the build-up of toxicity tends to show first mental disorders, anxiety, tremours, problems maintaining balance and accelerated visible signs of aging especially of the skin.

All psychiatric drugs also interfere with and deplete magnesium and calcium stores – the most important minerals for the facilitation of calm brains and the ability to sleep. These minerals are required for the production of melatonin produced by the pineal gland. If calcium/magnesium stores are not sufficient, taking melatonin by itself rarely works to restore sleep.

Both these and most other psychiatric drugs tend to be addictive. The addictive response is essentially a protective change in the system which adapts to a war it cannot win. The body cannot stop receiving the toxin if the patient keeps taking it, it also cannot create enough of a detoxification defense to eliminate those toxins - they are foreign/artificial chemicals that cannot be metabolized or neutralized. So, the body stores it while keeping up the detoxification defenses enough to keep the person functional. As long as possible, the body stores these substances by “packaging” them in the deep tissues and in fat, i.e. in cholesterol. Chronic antidepressant takers usually have high cholesterol. That goes down to normal when the drug withdrawal has been successfully completed. Withdrawing from these drugs is difficult and must be done slowly and adjusted to the needs of the individual patients.

All psychiatric drugs are toxic: a toxin is a substance that interferes with essential nutrient absorption, poisons pathways essential for metabolism, or blocks the production of detoxification systems – usually all three. Toxicity means that eventually organ damage occurs which may become irreversible.

Withdrawing from these drugs is greatly assisted if those nutrients are supplied in therapeutic doses which were reduced by the drugs’ toxicity.

NOTE No 1: manufacturers sold in drug stores are not recommended as they do not guarantee purity in terms of no GMOs, no wheat, no soy, no added sugars, no fillers, etc. The companies whose products are excellent:NOW, Sisu, Natural Factors, Organika, Carlson, Flora, Inno-Vite, AOR and Quest. There are excellent additional companies, but they usually only sell to health professionals. See also ads in Vitality.

NOTE No 2: people differ in requirements and ability to resist toxins. The information below is a basic guideline. They do not apply to everybody; many need a lot more. You need help from people who know about these drugs (some doctors, most naturopaths) to adjust your program to work best for you. Tests to determine theexact depletion status are available through many laboratories, but expensive.

1. Essential Fatty Acids - Carlson’s cod or halibut or salmon liver oil - Dosage: 3 capsules daily with a full meal.

2. Inositol – AOR powdered form - Dosage: 1 tablespoon in yogurt or pudding or juice twice daily NOTE: some people have loose stool when taking inositol: take ½ tablespoon once daily for a week then slowly increase

3. GABA – by any of the above companies - Dosage: start with dosage as recommended on the container, increase to double 3-4 weeks later, stay on that increase until completely withdrawn from the drugs. If the drug being withdrawn is a classic SSRI, such as Prozac, the patient also needs to supplement with Co-Q 10.

4. Taurine – the product by NOW is most cost effective. Same as or GABA.

5. Ornothine – same as for Taurine and GABA

6. Vitamin C – Natural Factor’s BioCgel – 2 capsules daily. This C product is specially formulated to be highly absorbent and causes no stomach acidity.

7. B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) B5 (pantothenic acid – essential for adrenaline production – always take 4 capsules once daily), Niacinamide (vitamin B3 – 1 capsule of 500 mg daily) Folic acid (also a B vitamin) in the doses shown on the bottle.

8. At bedtime only: 4 capsules of Inno-Vite’s Cal-Mag (also has boron and D3 added for bone protection). Sleep problems, caused by anxiety, malnutrition, or chemical assault, deplete magnesium and calcium; without adequate reserves one cannot sleep.

All of these need to be taken with a meal, except #8, because their absorption depends on the presence of fat. It is usually advisable to take everything other than Cal-Mag during the day, preferably with a good breakfast consisting of mostly protein and fat. Cal-Mag puts people to sleep quickly and should be taken with dinner or bedtime.

No-Nos! Alcohol, cigarettes, high coffee intake (more than 4 cups daily, no caffeinated pop).

Highly recommended: organic food if possible, especially meat, eggs and milk products."

that is it don't shoot the messenger.

I am in no way recommending any of this just what I found online.. sharing so you can have a look too...

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

The idea that psychiatric drugs are stored in fat and it is these remnants that cause withdrawal syndrome is nonsense. See

Do Antidepresssants Stay In the Body for Years?

And the idea that you can detox your body is a scam . Medically you can remove an excess of drink or drugs circulating in someone s system but there is nothing anyone can do to leave their organs and fat cells squeaky clean other than follow a long term regime of healthy eating an exercise. My own experience of trying to cut things out , I once gave up carbs, was that it made me very ill. Body in withdrawal over reacts very easily. But each to his/her own . "Withdrawal" is the clue. Its something missing that's causing the problem not something that's still there.

Am going to have to take a break from sa all these miracle cures and adding stuff in in doing my head in . Health and happiness to all

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I don't think that by detoxing your liver will speed up w/d if that is what you wanted to know. There is nothing bad about detoxing your liver if you beat it up but wd is wd and it can last a long time depending on the duration of time you took these drugs, if you tampered, went cold turkey, your genetic factors, etc. Honesly, I hate anti-depressants. They aren't worth it for me.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• Administrator

Yes, there is something bad about beating up your liver. You will feel terrible. I strongly advise any kind of liver detox regimen if you are already feeling poorly.

• 1 month later...

Is Prozac a fat soluble medication?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Administrator

I am not trying to speed up my recovery or the elimination of any remaining Prozac left in my system but am considering doing a diet with a drink mix called Plexus...I have an increase in withdrawal symptoms when I exercise, have frequent bowel movements in a day, skip meals, or take Epsom salt baths for two or more days in a row so I am wondering if something that would boost my metabolism would speed up the elimination of any residual Prozac in my system?  I am almost 8 weeks from my last dosage of Prozac...not taking any other antidepressant, antipsychotic, or antianxiety medications

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• 6 months later...

An excellent supplement to detox the Liver is N-A-C. You should give it a shot.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• 2 months later...

I occasionally squeeze 3 limes, add 1 raw egg and 1 spoon of biological olive oil to it to support the liver.

In August 2012 I was hospitalised after going through a psychosis. I used to wander around in the hospital in order to cope with everything that went on in my mind. At one point I had a complete black-out and the psychiatrist on duty gave me two injections with clopixal 50 mg, dehydrobenzperidol 5 mg and tranxène 50 mg. I was completely off the world for a whole weekend. After I woke up he prescribed me Invega 6 mg which I used to flush through the toilet. After two weeks I could leave the hospital and over a period of about 4 months I felt more and more terrible up to the point where it felt as if my mind was shutting down and I started losing all coordination. At the end of December I finally decided to be hospitalised again and I was given Invega 3 mg and Lorametazepam 2 mg at my own request. I used to break the Lorametazepam in half just to get me through the night. In May 2013 I tried to stop taking the Invega but I couldn’t cope. It wasn’t until July/August 2015 when I felt both physically and mentally strong enough that I decided to taper off the Invega. As recommended on this website I switched from Invega 3 mg to Risperdal 2 ml. I tapered off by 10% every 2 to 3 weeks. Towards the end I tapered off by 10% every other week when only a few drops were left. In April 2016 I took my last drop of Risperdal. In general I didn’t have any problem falling asleep but it was only for 2 to 4 hours. So I took the Lorametazepam ranging from 0,5 to 1 mg to help me sleep the rest of the night. In July I started taking Lavender tincture to replace the Lorametazepam and it worked out fine but I am sad to say that I take the Lorametazepam again when my mind is very overactive.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried a flush like this?  In a Facebook group, I read people believe it has sped up their healing.  Some have just tried the coffee enema without the flush and believe it has helped tremendously.  I'm so sensitive to everything, I'm a bit scared to try it.  I drank a fruit smoothie last month and it put me on my as for a day or two.  A very small amount of caffeine give me a hangover and makes my symptoms a bit worse.   

If you've tried this (or the enema) please let me know how it worked for you.

Thanks

post-5558-0-44334100-1484599024_thumb.jpg

1996-2014 - 3mg Clonazepam - Started weaning off in 2010, took 4 years.  All is fine.

2010-2014 - 30mg - 180mg percocets per day.  Quit CT in 2014.  All is fine.

2010-2014 - Mixed in Suboxen while not on percs... 8mg-32mg per day.  Quit CT in 2014.  All is fine (I think)  Opiates don't fully work yet.

2015 - Quit smoking weed, all is fine.

2015- Stopped drinking, all is fine.

2015-  Stopped drinking coffee, all is fine.

2010-2014 - 10mg of Lexapro for first 2 years, then 15mg for another 2 years

Quit over 3 week period - still experiencing bad withdrawal, but very slowly getting better... too slow.  

9/4/2015 - Reinstated 1mg liquid Lexapro.  So far, it's not helping... maybe hurting but not sure yet.

9/5/2015 - Stopped the 1mg, made it worse.  I will ride it out, currently drug free.

"The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory"

• Moderator Emeritus

I did a liver flush like this about 14 years ago. I was on a regular daily dose of Effexor XR: I was not tapering or experiencing withdrawal symptoms.  Afterwards, I felt disoriented and "out of it" for several days, maybe a week.  I wouldn't recommend doing it when you're dealing with symptoms -- wait until you are very, very stable and waves of symptoms are a distant memory.

The effects of most medical interventions on people with destabilized CNS are poorly understood, regardless of whether the interventions are conventional "Western" or traditional "Eastern" or "natural".

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 months later...

Hey - has anyone done a liver detox? Has it helped with your symptoms at all? At this point I'm just so stumped as to why I haven't fully recovered after 5 years off... I still have bad DP.

The DP lifts some when I get my period, but usually not by much. Finally I realized I must have extremely high estrogen, as I've noticed my anxiety is through the roof during the times of my cycle when estrogen is at its peak, and when I get my period (when E drops), I feel the best... All of this started after taking/quitting prozac (which I was only on for 6 months). High E can cause hypothyroidism, which can cause DP, etc... I'm just trying to understand why my E would be so high...all I can think of is it could be due to a clogged up liver, which simply isn't able to metabolize the estrogen very well. This could explain why I'm so sensitive to medications, alcohol, etc...

Anyway - just wondering if anyone's had any luck with liver cleanse/support supplements. Especially curious about those who have tried more hardcore liver detoxes.

P.S. I was into the magnesium protocol thing for a minute, but I just had the Full Monty Iron Panel done and all my numbers were pretty good (well within range), and magnesium and ferritin levels were excellent...so...this doesn't seem to be a mineral deficiency problem...

--

Hey - has anyone done a liver detox? Has it helped with your symptoms at all? At this point I'm just so stumped as to why I haven't fully recovered after 5 years off... I still have bad DP.

The DP lifts some when I get my period, but usually not by much. Finally I realized I must have extremely high estrogen, as I've noticed my anxiety is through the roof during the times of my cycle when estrogen is at its peak, and when I get my period (when E drops), I feel the best... All of this started after taking/quitting prozac (which I was only on for 6 months). High E can cause hypothyroidism, which can cause DP, etc... I'm just trying to understand why my E would be so high...all I can think of is it could be due to a clogged up liver, which simply isn't able to metabolize the estrogen very well. This could explain why I'm so sensitive to medications, alcohol, etc...

Anyway - just wondering if anyone's had any luck with liver cleanse/support supplements. Especially curious about those who have tried more hardcore liver detoxes.

P.S. I was into the magnesium protocol thing for a minute, but I just had the Full Monty Iron Panel done and all my numbers were pretty good (well within range), and magnesium and ferritin levels were excellent...so...this doesn't seem to be a mineral deficiency problem...

I would do this detox under the supervision of a Naturopath or nutritionist.

Its well worth it, as they have the knowledge should you experience side effects/reactions etc.,

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Ive done one using magnesium and grapefruit and olive oil. got some stones out. hard to say if it made me feel any better bc I was going through some other things at the time. 

not much risk involved and its just a matter of fasting and drinking a cup of olive oil and grapefruit juice. pretty cheap and simple. 

besides removing stones, your liver doesn't need to be detoxed a whole lot. it regenerates on its own every 40 days or so. 

manjistha is another plant that can help aid in detoxification as well as n acetyl cytseine which will boost glutathione production in your liver. 

gabapentin (neurontin) - 900 mg-1500 mg - currently tapering to 900 mg once a day. this is the only drug i take now

olanzapine (zyprexa) - 20 mg - 2011-2015 (discontinued in August of 2015)

vyvanse - 70 mg - 2012 - 2014 discontinued (fast taper)

xanax/clonazepam - 2007-2011 (rapid detox) 

short history with SSRIs, mood stabilizers, and other goodies over the years

currently taking magnesium chloride oil internally and externally. 

Ive done one using magnesium and grapefruit and olive oil. got some stones out. hard to say if it made me feel any better bc I was going through some other things at the time. 

not much risk involved and its just a matter of fasting and drinking a cup of olive oil and grapefruit juice. pretty cheap and simple. 

besides removing stones, your liver doesn't need to be detoxed a whole lot. it regenerates on its own every 40 days or so. 

manjistha is another plant that can help aid in detoxification as well as n acetyl cytseine which will boost glutathione production in your liver. 

OK, I stand corrected, lol.

I'm just uber cautious is all.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I would be very cautious about taking supplements.   Just because they aren't meds doesn't mean they can't cause harm.

You might want to consider eating foods that allegedly detox the liver.  In my opinion, that would be the safest approach.  

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=liver+detox+foods

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Kelly Brogan is a big fan of the coffee enema, which is a gentle liver detox.

WilliamWallace, above, was talking about a gall bladder cleanse (the grapefruit juice and "stones") 

There are no stones in the liver.

If you are having symptoms, I would caution against any detox protocols.  Your nerves may be sensitive enough without ramping up the "cleansing."  What your neurons need is calm, not upset.

It is one of the reasons we are cautious about naturopaths - they always want to "detox" especially where withdrawal from drugs is concerned.

After 3 years or more out from your withdrawal, you may feel well enough to do all the detox protocols you want, but until you are out of withdrawal symptoms, I would leave the detox protocols alone.  Especially if you are still having cortisol issues.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

There are no stones in the liver.

If you are having symptoms, I would caution against any detox protocols.  Your nerves may be sensitive enough without ramping up the "cleansing."  What your neurons need is calm, not upset.

Hah! I just completed a detox.......and it was brutal.

The supplements involved threw me a loop.......I reacted badly to "AdrenoMax" which as the name suggests supports your adrenal function.

I'm currently trying to increase the good bacterial count in my gut through ingesting pre and pro-biotics.

Major Life Events: 

I will be 5 years off in August and I just started taking a supplement to detox my liver and am tolerating it. I tried this earlier on with terrible results. I started with one drop a day for a week then 2 for a week and each week increased by one. My liver is doing better. The regular dose for a healthy person is like 20 drops a day I am at 5 and not going to go up. Thats how sensitive our bodies are.

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

• Moderator Emeritus

I want to reiterate the idea that our systems are so sensitive in withdrawal, that the normal rules don't apply to "detoxing." Gentleness is key. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy