SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Summer1: reinstate or hope to stabilize

Summer1

10:45pm  Bed. Legs slightly twitchy and tingly. 

4:30am  Awake for the day with mild sweating and manageable anxiety.

6am Ate an egg

7:30 am  I begin to have a headache my temples. The headache along with neck pain continues for the day. I also have discomfort in my face, jaw and teeth. My ears feel a bit stopped

8:30 Alprazolam Er .25mg  Did some cleaning. Read SA articles.

11am Ate cereal. Took all supplements and Energy Lipids and D-Ribose.

1-2  Feeling tired and groggy  Reading and typing

Feeling less tired. Moderate Leg tingling and minor muscle twitches throughout the day. 

4:00 Energy lipids and D-ribose taken  Housework reading and typing

6pm Ate supper feeling tired. I continue to have the cough and drainage I have had all week.

8:30pm Alprazolam Er .25mg  Ran vacuum felt a bit anxious

10 pm Bed . Legs a bit sore still with tingling. Headache slightly improved. Some anxiety

1995-2004 Serzone150mg daily

2004-05  Serzone, Effexor, Remeron, Cymbalta Trazodone, Paxil,    2005-2016 Lexapro, Alprazolam, Wellbutrin XL 

2017  Lexapro 20 mg daily,  Wellbutrin XL 150 mg twice daily, Alprazolam ER .5 mg twice daily, Fluticasone 50 MCG 1-2 spraysas needed,  May 11 Ciprofloxacin 500 BID,  July  Ketoconazole 2% cream as needed,   December21 Ciprofloxacin 500mg BID

2018 Fluticasone 50 MCG 1-2 sprays as needed,  May 8 Lexapro 20 mg once daily was stopped. May 8 Wellbutrin XL 150 twice daily stopped. May 8-29 Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine SUC ER) 50 mg. June 26 -July 20 Buspirone HCL 5mg once daily.  *** June 19 Levofloxacin (Levaquin) 500mg once daily for 10 days. Levaquin caused an ADVERSE DRUG REACTION with ongoing symptoms which are not resolved *** August 24 -September23, Zoloft 50mg once daily. Paxil 10 mg daily December 3- 15th. Current dose of Alprazolam ER is .25mg two times a day. Based on my prescription records I believe I started cutting my .5mg pills in half in late February 2018 

2019  Alprazolam .25 mg twice a day ( a split ER .5mg pill) Jan30 Alprazalam Switched to regular release  .125 mg morning and afternoon with .25mg at bedtime,  Jan. 23 started Sertraline 2mg once daily, Feb10 1.6mg daily

Supplements: NT Factor Energy Lipids 2 scoops twice daily, D-Ribose 5 grams 2-3 times daily,  R-Lipoic Acid 100mg daily, Tumeric 500mg, Co Q 10 200mg, Vitamin D 4000 IU, Florajen probiotic, folic Acid 400mcg, B12 1000mcg. Vitamin C 500mg extended release 3x daily, Omega 3 1185mg , Vitamin E 450mg, colostrum 500 mg daily                                                 

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Summer1 said:

My best estimate is late February or March 2018 I began taking Alprazolam ER .25mg twice daily down from .5 mg twice daily.

Thanks for this information. Benzo updoses are best done within 2 - 4 weeks of the last reduction, so unfortunately, you are far out from that safety zone. 

So that rules out anything more than working on spacing out the Alprazolam to make you more comfortable, if you feel that will help with daytime inter-dose withdrawal.

Lexapro and Wellbutrin XL (or their generic equivalents)-I began taking these in 2005 after Serzone became unavailable. Alprazolam was prescribed at that same time.  I took Lexapro, Wellbutrin and Alprazolam together in the morning.  Wellbutrin and Alprazolam second doses were taken before bed.  

Sedating qualities of Lexapro versus Wellbutrin are uncertain. I slept well unless under extreme stress.  Since the drugs were taken with Alprazolam it is difficult to know how they acted alone.

Yes, you are right that it's going to be difficult to know how each of these drugs affected you. 

As best as you can remember, did you take them at this same time when you first started - the Lexapro only in the morning and the Wellbutrin and Alprazolam split into two doses? 

Zoloft Maybe-  What size dose are you thinking of? It looks like the lowest dose pills are 25mg with a dividing line. So I am assuming I would use half a 25mg or much less. So I would probably be learning to be my own chemist with this like the the majority of people here. I am fairly positive the dose would need to stay very low based on the severity of my diarrhea. 

This thread has information on getting to a small dose: 

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Since your Zoloft dose was 50 mg four months ago and you reported having GI symptoms on that dose, I would try a very, very low dose of no more than 5 mg to start. You may even want to try as little as 2.5 mg to test for any GI symptoms. 

Please see:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

14 hours ago, Summer1 said:

In your experience, does the length of time on a drug influence how long it takes for severe withdrawal symptoms to show up?

There's no way of knowing. It's possible that those exposed to these drugs long term will have more severe withdrawal; however, even for people who were only on them a short time, if they taper too fast, they also have problems. So the rate of tapering is also a factor. 

If I did go onto Zoloft how would I determine the proper time to taper?

This is a good guide to go by:

Brassmonkey - WDNormal

Is it possible taking other drugs like the Zoloft helped cushion the effect of the CT?

Yes, it's possible. Also the fact that you're still taking a benzo likely cushioned the AD CT.

Do you know of anyone who CT'd from long term Lexapro who managed to recover slowly with mainly manageable symptoms?

There are cold turkey success stories. Most people come into this forum after becoming very destabilized, and they still go onto heal.

Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

Is there a specific reason you recommend Zoloft?

There was a lot of back-and-forth discussions here on your thread on your various ADs and Zoloft was one of the more recent ones you mentioned that helped and you only discontinued due to GI problems, as you wrote here: 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, Summer1 said:

I felt ok on Zoloft. I would be on it now if it had not caused me to slowly develop severe constant diarrhea. 

Shep You also asked if I was sleeping worse. I had not been getting much sleep till January. I usually woke after 2 to 4 hours of sleep. Often I would be awake or just resting the rest of the night.  For about a week before I joined SA I was able sleep 5 to 7 hours.  I would still have some sweating and anxiety but I was able adjust and not come completely awake. This week my sleep has gotten shorter again. I have gotten 3 to 5 hour stretches after which I could sometimes rest. Once awake I had more trouble getting back to sleep. 

This is the classic windows and waves pattern of withdrawal.

It's possible you'll go back to the 5 - 7 hours. Do you want to hold and see if that happens or reinstate a bit of Zoloft? 

Shep  When you speak of being out of the safety range for reinstatement of alprazolam and Lexapro and Wellbutrin are you referring to the likelihood of adverse reactions/kindling?

In regards to your question on dosing schedule of Lexapro with other drugs:  To the best I can remember Lexapro was taken in the morning with the doses for Wellbutrin and Alprazolam split between morning and evening.  There were times many years ago where the Lexapro was tinkered with for a month here and there. I don't remember how I felt on those doses. I always ended up back on the 20mg.

I am tempted to see about reinstating Zoloft 2.5 to 5mg. However even after reading about tapering methods with dry or liquid( several times) the math leaves me feeling defeated. I have the address of a local compounding pharmacy. I hope my Dr. will have enough knowledge to help with the best solution for getting a low dose. If I end up going with Zoloft and it works I could be on it for a long time. I feel like after the shocks my CNS has had it could use some more months to stabilize. With all the medicine changes and floxing, my system is on high alert. I also would like to get my sleep a bit more steady. I am not sure what WD Normal would look like in my situation. As always your thoughts on any part of this are valued.

I looked at the threads and videos on talking to your Dr. about withdrawal. Also looked at the others you recommended. I always try to do that. I printed out some info on tapering from SA in case I should need it. Still I feel less prepared than I would like for my appointment tomorrow morning. I suspect I am going to be offered another AD other than the Zoloft.  I wonder if I should have stuck to the Paxil despite my fears. My brain is to tired for more today.

2004-05  Serzone, Effexor, Remeron, Cymbalta Trazodone, Paxil,    2005-2016 Lexapro, Alprazolam, Wellbutrin XL 

2017  Lexapro 20 mg daily,  Wellbutrin XL 150 mg twice daily, Alprazolam ER .5 mg twice daily, Fluticasone 50 MCG 1-2 spraysas needed,  May 11 Ciprofloxacin 500 BID,  July  Ketoconazole 2% cream as needed,   December21 Ciprofloxacin 500mg BID

2018 Fluticasone 50 MCG 1-2 sprays as needed,  May 8 Lexapro 20 mg once daily was stopped. May 8 Wellbutrin XL 150 twice daily stopped. May 8-29 Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine SUC ER) 50 mg. June 26 -July 20 Buspirone HCL 5mg once daily.  *** June 19 Levofloxacin (Levaquin) 500mg once daily for 10 days. Levaquin caused an ADVERSE DRUG REACTION with ongoing symptoms which are not resolved *** August 24 -September23, Zoloft 50mg once daily. Paxil 10 mg daily December 3- 15th. Current dose of Alprazolam ER is .25mg two times a day. Based on my prescription records I believe I started cutting my .5mg pills in half in late February 2018 

2019  Alprazolam .25 mg twice a day ( a split ER .5mg pill) Jan30 Alprazalam Switched to regular release  .125 mg morning and afternoon with .25mg at bedtime,  Jan. 23 started Sertraline 2mg once daily, Feb10 1.6mg daily

Supplements: NT Factor Energy Lipids 2 scoops twice daily, D-Ribose 5 grams 2-3 times daily,  R-Lipoic Acid 100mg daily, Tumeric 500mg, Co Q 10 200mg, Vitamin D 4000 IU, Florajen probiotic, folic Acid 400mcg, B12 1000mcg. Vitamin C 500mg extended release 3x daily, Omega 3 1185mg , Vitamin E 450mg, colostrum 500 mg daily                                                 

10:00pm  Bed at ten but probably fell asleep around 10:30

3:30am  Woke with some anxiety at the start of a sweating spell. Felt thirsty. Used restroom and drank water. Changed into dry clothes. Back to bed. Some chills and anxiety in waves. Rested. Slept briefly and had a short dream. I have not been aware of any dream for a long time.

5:40 am Awake/up for the day

8;30 Alprazolam Er .25mg  Looked at Sheps tool kit of coping strategies and checked some of the videos on anxiety

9 am Breakfast, supplements, Energy Lipids and D- Ribose.  

Less neck and arm pain than yesterday. No Headache. Feeling rather lethargic. Still have cough and sinus drainage

1:20 lunch  Have done some housework today but mainly planning for Dr. appointment and trying to make decisions. Feeling discouraged and uncertain. Despite that anxiety has not been bad

4 Second dose energy lipids and D-Ribose

6:20  Supper. Had a strange sudden increase in anxiety shortly after I began to eat. I was eating Chipotle which I ate yesterday as well. I don't remember any effect yesterday.  I also had an increase in leg tingling. Got a mild headache. Ears felt a bit stopped up. Mild facial tenderness

8:30 -9:00 Alprazolam Er .25mg.  Epson salt bath. Anxiety less than at supper but still up. 

9: 40 Going to see if I can get to sleep. I feel so tired and keyed up at the same time.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Summer1 said:

Shep  When you speak of being out of the safety range for reinstatement of alprazolam and Lexapro and Wellbutrin are you referring to the likelihood of adverse reactions/kindling?

My comments on being out of the safety range were specific to alprazolam, a benzodiazepine (or benzo). Benzos are different than antidepressants when it comes to reinstating. A benzo has a much shorter safety range of only 2 - 4 weeks.

Sometimes you can reinstate a small dose of an antidepressant even a few months away from coming off. 

Yes, this does relate to kindling.  For more on kindling: 

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

I am tempted to see about reinstating Zoloft 2.5 to 5mg. However even after reading about tapering methods with dry or liquid( several times) the math leaves me feeling defeated. I have the address of a local compounding pharmacy. 

Whether you use liquid or a scale, we can help you with the math and walk you through the process step by step. 

I wonder if I should have stuck to the Paxil despite my fears.

Paxil is a much more potent drug than Zoloft and Paxil is now listed as the hardest antidepressant to come off of, especially due to its short half-life. 

Your fears were well founded. 

Shep, You mentioned that the safety range for reinstating an AD can be "even a few months away from coming off". I have been off Zoloft four months now. Do you consider that to be within the safety range? If so I can begin reinstating zoloft tomorrow. My Psych Doc was helpful. I have liquid zoloft and a dropper ( looks like a syringe). the Dr. has me doing 1mg for 3 days, then 2mg for 3 days  and then 3 mg.  I have enough for a month. I imagine he would be fine with me moving up to 5mg in dose if I tolerate the Zoloft. He was concerned that I wasn't on an AD since a Benzo alone can cause depression. But he admitted he has tried most of the available options for me. He said about 30-40% of his patients are people he is working with to get off their medication (Because they want to be off) Thank you for your support.

I am going to stick my daily diary here for convenience.

10 pm to 2:30 am Slept. Woke with minimal sweating but felt very hot and flushed. The usual waves of night anxiety.Some cramping in thigh muscles. Did not go back to sleep.

Got up for a while and returned to bed around 4:00 Felt chilled. Stayed in bed to be warm. Husband wakes for work around 5 so we talked

7 am up for the day. Felt more anxious than usual with Dr. appointment and snowy roads.  

8:30 Alprazolam Er .25mg   

9:30 breakfast and all supplements with first dose Energy Lipids and D-Ribose

1:00  Ate lunch after returning from Dr., and picking up prescription and errands. Had leg cramps off and on all day. Some pins and needles in legs. As usual these are mostly in the upper right leg. These can happen any time but are often triggered by stress. The weather has had a large temperature drop which may also play a role.

5:30  Ate supper  Anxiety levels moderate today

7:00 Energy lipids and D-Ribose second dose. Later than usual today

7:00 - 8;30 Feeling much more calm .Second dose energy lipids and D-Ribose. Almost no chest discomfort which is a wonderful feeling. I have noticed that I sometimes have a period of calm in the evening. You would think I would feel worse since it is close to my taking my second dose of Alprazolam. Pins and needles in legs more noticeable.  Still getting leg cramps. Neck better today. Cough getting worse and causing chest discomfort. Legs have felt cold this evening.

8:40 Alprazolam Er .25mg    Epson Salt bath. I was really tired . A bath helps my aches. I think tonight it help ease my pins and needles some also. I noticed last night and tonight I feel less sleepy after my bath. I need to keep tabs on whether it makes a difference in how well, or long I sleep. I think I am getting sleepy again now 30 minutes later. 

10:00 Bed 

• Moderator Emeritus

Shep, You mentioned that the safety range for reinstating an AD can be "even a few months away from coming off". I have been off Zoloft four months now. Do you consider that to be within the safety range?

We aren't going to be able to know for sure. You may or not have been on Zoloft long enough to have become dependent, but it may have been helping with the withdrawal from your previous ADs, Wellbutrin and Lexapro. 

Perhaps adding in a small amount of Zoloft will again aid in that. 

I have liquid zoloft and a dropper ( looks like a syringe). the Dr. has me doing 1mg for 3 days, then 2mg for 3 days  and then 3 mg. I have enough for a month. I imagine he would be fine with me moving up to 5mg in dose if I tolerate the Zoloft.

It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to even register a change, so you may not have a real feel for how the 1 mg is affecting you after 3 days. But since you are reinstating at such a low rate, you may be fine doing this since you are targeting 3 mg  - 5 mg for now. 

Let us know how you do. 

He was concerned that I wasn't on an AD since a Benzo alone can cause depression.

Yes, benzos can definitely cause depression. But that's not something that an AD will "fix". 

Even a doctor who is as helpful as yours for withdrawal purposes, he may be a bit ignorant about antidepressants. Antidepressants work for most people mainly by the placebo effect.

This is a great podcast that explores this:

Irving Kirsch: The Placebo Effect and What It Tells Us About Antidepressant Efficacy

You'll find even more information on these drugs on the Mad in America website. I would also recommend Robert Whitaker's book:

Anatomy of an Epidemic

If you scroll down the page, you can click on "Antidepressants / Depression" and find the source documents. Whitaker thoroughly researched this subject and provides all of the academic research to back up his writing. 

The depression created by benzo and antidepressant withdrawal is not what doctors describe as "clinical depression". Withdrawal is about nervous system instability and hyper-reactivity. Please see:

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

So the reinstatement you are doing isn't meant to "fix" any form of depression in the clinical sense, but to simply fix the problems caused by a too-quick withdrawal. 

On 5/24/2011 at 10:59 PM, Altostrata said:

The first phase of withdrawal, the acute phase, is the initial shock of withdrawal, with the most defined symptoms, such as brain zaps and nausea and possibly waves of unusually intense "depression" and "anxiety" -- actually, emotions generated by the neurological upset. Later, glutamatergic hyper-reactivity and autonomic instability take over. Often the autonomic instability causes wide hypersensitivity to drugs, supplements, and even foods.

I have noticed that I sometimes have a period of calm in the evening. You would think I would feel worse since it is close to my taking my second dose of Alprazolam.

This is likely due to the reduction of cortisol that happens naturally over the course of the day and into the evening. Many of us report feeling better in the evening. The fact that you are feeling better before taking that send dose of Alprazolam is a good sign that if you are having inter-dose withdrawal, it's not enough to overtake the natural reduction of cortisol. 

For more on cortisol fluctuations, please see:

Waking with panic or anxiety- managing cortisol spikes

Please let us know how the reinstatement goes. 

Recommendation: Please do not take your Zoloft at the same time you take your benzo. I would keep it at least 2 hours apart so you know how the Zoloft effects you as clearly as possible. 

Question - when you were on Zoloft before, did you take it in the morning, afternoon, or evening? Since you found it helpful before (aside from the GI issues), perhaps keep it at the same time of day / night again (as mentioned, at least 2 hours apart from the benzo). 

Edited by Shep
added into

• Administrator

Summer, I would try 1mg Zoloft for at least 4 days, continue to keep your notes and see what it does before increasing it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Shep I got your message about Zoloft and spaced it two hours after Alprazolam.  I took Zoloft in the mornings before so I will continue to do that now. Thought maybe I felt a bit calmer not long after taking it. Stayed calm for a few hours. This is probably coincidence though. My anxiety is not predictable for the most part. It wakes me at night usually between 2:30 and 4:30 after which it continues. (The morning cortisol surge sure can start early in the am!) Then it varies throughout the day. Sometimes exercise seems to aggravate it -other times times not at all. Any little stress in the environment is a trigger. Overall I am more easily stressed than I was several months ago even though I have fewer daily stressors now. In general I only have short periods of time when I am not feeling some physical symptom of anxiety. Mainly a burning/tightness /discomfort in the chest. I know that I have been fortunate though. I hope in time my system will adjust.

I had a bit of trouble getting the dose of Zoloft.  I think the syringe is quite cheap. The plunger is all white so it is very hard to see the dose line with the clear medicine. Thought I would never get the syringe shoved securely into the stopper. Then I had an air bubble to get rid of. I watched some videos after that. Maybe I can locate a better syringe. Hopefully I can do better tomorrow. I also think I will request coloring in the medicine next time. 

Altostrata- I will keep on the 1mg dose of Zoloft for 4 days - longer if needed to be sure everything is ok.  Shep said I would need 4 days to feel a change so that makes sense. Thank you.

10pm Bed. 

4-4:30am  Although I started to be aware of some anxiety before 4am I was able to rest and sleep. Unless I really wake up I try not to stir and look at the clock. It just makes things worse if I do. Between 4 and 4:30 I began to have more anxiety. I don't think as much as usual. Although I felt hot and flushed I had very little sweating.Adjusted covers until I cooled down. I didn't have to change into dry clothes. Its hard to settle back down during the week if I wake after 4. 

I know my husbands alarm will go off around 5:00 followed by several snooze alarms which I find jarring. We had a snow storm so I was restless. Lots of snowplows and salt trucks. My mind couldn't settle so I just got up.

7am Breakfast with husband

8:30 Alprazolam ER .25mg

9am Energy Lipids and D-ribose taken.

9:30 I checked my email and saw that I should space the zoloft two or more hours away from the Alprazolam. I did not take supplements as I wasn't sure if that would effect Zoloft symptoms. I also didn't want to wait to late in the day to take the Zoloft. I will take my supplements earlier tomorrow. Then I can keep a spacing that isn't to close medicines or meals that might mask any Zoloft symptoms.

11:00 Took Zoloft liquid 1mg.  After about 20 minutes I noticed I was having less anxiety symptoms. This lasted an hour or so. It could be purely coincidence.

4:00  Ate a very late lunch. Had Energy- Lipids and D-Ribose  

6:00  Ate dinner.  Was less active today. Tired from the day before when I was more active.  I had less neck, arm and face discomfort today. Thigh muscles/hips  were somewhat achey. Legs got more tingly as the afternoon went on. I think they sometimes get worse in the evening. 

7:45  Epsom salt bath. I have been using just a small amount of salt since I am not sure how it effects me. I am not have as much release from evening anxiety as I do sometimes. Yesterday I was more relaxed. My stomach is a bit upset now. Cough was better today. Maybe because I was more quiet. The bath seems to loosen up mucus so I am coughing a fair bit now. I want to try unscented bath salts in case the "healing" scent is irritating my allergies.

8:30 Took Alprazolam ER .25mg

9:20 I don't feel quite sleepy enough for bed but Hubby doesn't sleep well alone. So I am going to try.

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Summer1 said:

9:30 I checked my email and saw that I should space the zoloft two or more hours away from the Alprazolam. I did not take supplements as I wasn't sure if that would effect Zoloft symptoms. I also didn't want to wait to late in the day to take the Zoloft. I will take my supplements earlier tomorrow. Then I can keep a spacing that isn't to close medicines or meals that might mask any Zoloft symptoms.

11:00 Took Zoloft liquid 1mg.  After about 20 minutes I noticed I was having less anxiety symptoms. This lasted an hour or so. It could be purely coincidence.

It could have been the Zoloft making you less anxious or as you mentioned, pure coincidence.

But it also could be that some of your supplements are causing anxiety. Supplements such as B12 and Vitamin D can cause anxiety spikes. 

Let's see how you do tomorrow when you take your supplements. 

I like the way you are spacing this out. Thanks for taking such detailed notes. 

Shep I thought I would mention that I had more anxiety than usual last night and a mild stomach ache. It feels like a nervous stomach. I had very little sweating but the anxiety seemed to hit sooner and be more steady perhaps. At 4:40am  I got up. I felt keyed up and paced the house. Tried to read but couldn't concentrate. That part isn't unusual. It is 6:10. I am still anxious but going back to bed. I started to chill and feel quite cold now. I hope it isn't Zoloft. I know I am wound up. Pretty much everyone in my immediate family has some difficult or challenging things going on right now. I am working with coping strategies. Peace to you today.

Shep I Did not write my Zoloft dosage correctly yesterday. You had recommended a low dose of no more than 2.5mgs  to start. This is what I discussed with my PDoc.  My liquid dose is .1 mL.  I called the pharmacy to clarify.  At .1mL my Zoloft is equal to 2mgs. It is a 20mg/mL solution. It is actually the generic Sertraline.  How should I write the Sertraline dose from now on? 

Since sertraline caused diarrhea before, I thought I should note that my intestines felt more active today. This evening a couple of times I rushed to the bathroom. Once I thought I might be going to have diarrhea. Nothing happened though.  Should I go lower on the dosage  or stay at 2mg a bit longer? I do remember my legs aching near the end of my time taking Sertraline. I assumed it was from having diarrhea 8-10 times day. 

Thank you for your time

10 pm  In bed coughing with drainage. I was not feeling very relaxed. Fell asleep but felt quite a few waves of anxiety through the night. They were stronger than usual.

4 am Higher anxiety than usual. I was working on breathing off and on to try and get calmer. I had hot flushes but almost no sweating. I had a mild "nervous" stomach. At 4:40 got restless and paced the house. Tried to read but gave up. 

8 am  Breakfast, all supplements and first dose Energy Lipids and D-Ribose

8:30 Alprazolam Er .25 mg  Rested in bed 9:30- 11:00 but didn't sleep. 

11:20 Sertraline (Zoloft) 20mg/mL liquid .1mL =2mg

12:30 Anxiety is a little better but still higher than usual. Outside 30 minutes. Got a little exercise. I need to spend less time on computer. I can get caught up reading the SA's threads and links. Wish I remember all I read. Activity is good for me. Being tired and unmotivated are things I need to try and work past. I wear out fast and need breaks.

1:30 Lunch. My upper legs are feeling sore and tender. They have had a sort of buzzy feeling all day. Occasional numbness in feet and hands. Stiff fingers

4:00 pm Energy Lipids and D-Ribose second dose

5:30 Dinner

8:30 Alprazolam .25mg  Anxiety levels have been up all day. The evening has not had a calming effect.

9pm Bath with minimal Epson salts since I am still not sure how they effect me.

10pm Muscles feel some better. Minor decrease in anxiety  Bedtime 

• Moderator Emeritus
52 minutes ago, Summer1 said:

How should I write the Sertraline dose from now on? 

The actual mg dose.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I will write my Sertraline dose as 2mg as instructed. Thanks Chessie

I wanted to quickly note that last night and this morning the anxiety levels were better after being higher yesterday.

• Moderator Emeritus

Shep I Did not write my Zoloft dosage correctly yesterday. You had recommended a low dose of no more than 2.5mgs  to start. This is what I discussed with my PDoc.  My liquid dose is .1 mL.  I called the pharmacy to clarify.  At .1mL my Zoloft is equal to 2mgs. It is a 20mg/mL solution. It is actually the generic Sertraline.

2 mg is fine. That's a low enough dose to get a reinstatement started and not too high that if you do have problems, you can simply stop taking it. 

Since sertraline caused diarrhea before, I thought I should note that my intestines felt more active today. This evening a couple of times I rushed to the bathroom. Once I thought I might be going to have diarrhea. Nothing happened though.  Should I go lower on the dosage  or stay at 2mg a bit longer?

Let's give this at least 4 days. Right now, you're dealing with stress at home (mentioned in one of your earlier posts), as well as nervousness over even trying this little bit of Sertraline. 

Anxiety can cause GI issues, so try to bring in some calming techniques throughout the day. Breathing techniques can be very good for calming the overall nervous system. 

Just a short breathing space can really help. 

The Breathing Space by Jon Kabat Zinn video (4 minutes)

The 4-7-8 Breath - Health Benefits Demonstration

Pranayama Breathing for Anxiety and Depression

47 minutes ago, Summer1 said:

I wanted to quickly note that last night and this morning the anxiety levels were better after being higher yesterday.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad the anxiety levels are better. Hopefully, the GI symptoms will also be better. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Shep said:

try to bring in some calming techniques throughout the day. Breathing techniques can be very good for calming the overall nervous system. 

Set a reminder to do this, even if you don't feel that you need it at the time.  It gives the nervous system some down time.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Chessie and Shep I have been looking at the breathing techniques. I think you are right Chessie about me making it into part of a daily routine. The 4-7-8 Breathe video with Dr. Weill did a good job of explaining it. I would like to practice in the morning and afternoon. Hopefully at bedtime as well. It will take some doing. I know I am not breathing into my belly properly. My sinus passages are nearly always somewhat swollen or clogged or draining so I tend not to breathe deeply. It seems so hard to drag in a deep breathe sometimes.  But I think if I relax and adjust for what I can do it will be helpful. I practiced several of the techniques this afternoon. I like what the video had to say about daily practice over time being helpful. I have also been looking into other resources here for managing anxiety and emotions. I found Claire Weekes especially helpful. Also liked what Lisa Wimberger had to say about neurosculpting and brain candy. You mods and administrators also have many helpful thoughts from your own experiences. 

On a positive note: I looked at a book today and read for a while during a rest. I was able to enjoy what I read like I use too. So I guess that was a window. The other day when I tried my brain was too active. It felt like work and bored me. 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Summer1 said:

On a positive note: I looked at a book today and read for a while during a rest. I was able to enjoy what I read like I use too. So I guess that was a window. The other day when I tried my brain was too active. It felt like work and bored me. 

I read a book recently and really enjoyed it.  However, I've tried to read other things and like you it was hard work and just can't comprehend what I'm reading.

8 minutes ago, Summer1 said:

It seems so hard to drag in a deep breathe sometimes.  But I think if I relax and adjust for what I can do it will be helpful.

I find that I can't breathe to a set counting pattern, but just do it to what feels comfortable to me.

Chessie thanks for the encouragement on the breathing. I tried again this afternoon. I found it hard to get into a groove. I kept coughing which messed things up. I tried to keep in mind the point was to relax! I will just do what I can and focus on the calming aspects. :)

10pm Bed

2:45 am Woke with mild anxiety. Felt warm but not sweating. I was able to rest fairly well till 4:30 though I did not have any deep sleep.

4:30 am I think the morning anxiety surge was milder . It seemed steady rather than coming in waves. 

8:30 Alprazolam .25mg

9:30 Breakfast, all supplements and 1st dose Energy lipids and D-Ribose. My upper legs continue to feel sore and tender with tingling. Hip joints are achy.

11:40 Sertraline 2 mg Tried to keep busy though I work slowly. Practiced breathing

1:00 Lunch. Did some cleaning, 

3:30 Second dose Energy Lipids and D-Ribose, Outside 30 minutes. Practiced breathing. Some leg cramping, possibly from being out in the cold.

5:45 Supper

8:45 Alprazolam .25 mg Anxiety is mild

9:00 Bath with very small amount Epsom salt. Practiced relaxation breathing. Ate an orange. I am interested in trying Vitamin C to help with anxiety. I know magnesium is supposed to help but I haven't always been sure of whether it was calming or activating for me. I am trying not to tamper to much with anything while I am still testing the Sertraline. 

10:15 pm bed

I woke with anxiety at 2:30. I tried breathing for relaxation. I waited for it to lessen some but it didn't. I decided to take a Vitamin C 1000mg to see if it would help with the cortisol. Maybe it did.  I usually take Vitamin C in the morning with my supplements. Should I take it this morning or try waiting till I wake up during the night?  I am wondering if some a smaller dose tablet could be useful. Oh! I think Alto has mentioned extended release. My current pills are capsules so I can't split them. It is now 6:45am. I don't know where time went. I am going to try for some rest. 

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Summer1 said:

I am interested in trying Vitamin C to help with anxiety. I know magnesium is supposed to help but I haven't always been sure of whether it was calming or activating for me. I am trying not to tamper to much with anything while I am still testing the Sertraline. 

I usually take Vitamin C in the morning with my supplements. Should I take it this morning or try waiting till I wake up during the night? 

Please see:

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid or ascorbate)

If your questions aren't already answered in that thread, please post your question so that the moderators and members who have used this supplement during withdrawal can help you. 

10:15 pm  Bedtime

2:30 am Awake with anxiety. Felt warm but not sweating.Thirsty so drank water. Tried relaxation breathing. Tried going back to sleep. Eventually got up and took a Vitamin C 1000mg. It possibly helped a little

6:45am  Went back to bed. Felt chilled with cold feet. Rested but did not sleep. Anxiety began to increase.

8:30 Alprazolam .25mg  Still feeling high morning anxiety. I think the anxiety period might be getting longer and stretching more into the morning waking hours.

9:30  Breakfast

10:30 Took all supplements including Vitamin C. with first dose Energy Lipids and D-Ribose. I felt some anxiety improvement almost  immediately. I don't know how it would happen so quickly. The Lipids and D-Ribose are taken with about half a bottled water. 

11:00  Sertraline 2mg This is day four.  I am not sure how/if it is having any effect. Don't know whether to try a few more days at 2mg or move up to 2.5 or 3mgs. Do you have any thoughts about this?

1:00 lunch  Hip joints are sore today. Upper leg muscles sore. Breathing exercise.

3:00 Energy Lipids and D- Ribose

5:30 Supper. Brief period of less anxiety in early evening.

8:30 Alprazolam .25mg.  Bath no epsom salt. Moderate levels of anxiety staying fairly regular all day

9:40 Breathing exercise then to bed. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your signature to reflect the date you reinstated the sertraline. It will help to bold your current information for the sertraline and alprazolam to make it easier to read. 

Your signature is here:

Account - Settings - Create or Edit Your Signature

11 hours ago, Summer1 said:

11:00  Sertraline 2mg This is day four.  I am not sure how/if it is having any effect. Don't know whether to try a few more days at 2mg or move up to 2.5 or 3mgs. Do you have any thoughts about this?

Let's give it a week. It's great that you aren't getting any negative effects. 

After a few more days, if you still are doing the same, perhaps bump up the dose to 2.25 mg or 2.5 mg. 

How are the cough and allergies since you stopped the Fluticasone spray? 

Shep, I will hold Sertraline at current dose for a full week as you suggest. I am still having trouble managing the oral syringe. The tip does not fit snuggly into the stopper/bung. I don't know if that is normal. One video I watched showed a syringe staying in the bottle even without being held.  I am finding it tricky to keep the tip pushed hard enough against the stopper while drawing a dose to prevent any leakage. It's worse when I have air bubbles to pump out. 

I have edited my signature.

I am managing Ok without the Fluticasone. My nasal passages feel a bit more swollen. Sometimes one will close for a bit. But I don't feel too congested and my cough is no worse. The extreme cold snap we are having might be causing some problems. The air can get pretty dry.

Thanks for directing me to the Vitamin C thread. I wasn't sure when I should post questions in a topic versus in my home space. 

10:15pm Down for the night. Slept fairly well

3:40 am Woke with anxiety. Thirsty  Did breathing. No real sweating just felt a bit warm. Rested and dozed off sometimes. Had some dreams of family.

5:30 am Woke feeling morning cortisol. Still thirsty. Took a Vitamin C 1000mg. Seemed to help a little. I began to chill and had a mild hot flash. Rested till 7:00

8:30 Alprazolam .25mg.  Hip joints and muscles are better today.

9:30 Breakfast. Energy lipids and D-Ribose. I did not take my other supplements. I wanted to see if I felt any better without them. Practiced breathing. Went outside for short walk.

11:15 am Sertraline 2 mg

1:00 Lunch. Currently am trying to eliminate Nightshades from my diet for a month at Integrative Doc's suggestion to see if that will improve any of my mental or Physical symptoms. 

2:00  Ate Fruit.

4:30  Felt more anxiety in the afternoon. Felt overwhelmed while trying to organize house. Had a cry. Felt weak and exhausted for a while. Tingling in upper arms from stress. Took my probiotic. Took about 20mg Magnesium. I chopped a 100 mg pill into sections. I think the magnesium helped. I am going to try taking small doses like this through the day and night for anxiety.

7:50  Light supper. Forgot energy lipids earlier during crying spell. I am only taking a half dose of lipids and d'ribose due to the late hour. Took about 10 mg magnesium

8:00 Bath no Epsom Salt

8:40pm  Alprazolam .25 mg  Once again I don't think I am feeling as much evening relief from stress as I have other nights. Today overall I had less physical discomfort than usual. My legs felt good. Still coughing with some drainage.

9:30 Going to bed. Feel sleepy but anxious. I will do some breathing. I practiced 3 times today.

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Summer1 said:

I am still having trouble managing the oral syringe. The tip does not fit snuggly into the stopper/bung. I don't know if that is normal. One video I watched showed a syringe staying in the bottle even without being held.  I am finding it tricky to keep the tip pushed hard enough against the stopper while drawing a dose to prevent any leakage. It's worse when I have air bubbles to pump out. 

You may have already seen this thread, but just in case:

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

If you continue to have problems, you may want to stop by a pharmacy and check with the pharmacist to see if you're using it correctly or if there's something wrong with your syringe. 

11 hours ago, Summer1 said:

I am managing Ok without the Fluticasone. My nasal passages feel a bit more swollen. Sometimes one will close for a bit. But I don't feel too congested and my cough is no worse. The extreme cold snap we are having might be causing some problems. The air can get pretty dry.

I'm glad you're doing okay without the Fluticasone. 

Winter is half over, so hopefully you'll feel better as we head toward Spring in a few weeks. 

Do you use a humidifier for the dry air? 

Shep don't know if you are still there. Do benzo's ever "poop out"? I am not sure if my Alprazolam is doing anything except keeping me from withdrawal. Strong anxiety last night. 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, Summer1 said:

Do benzo's ever "poop out"?

Yes, they do. As do antidepressants. Please see:

TACHYPHYLAXIS OR AS IT’S LOVINGLY KNOWN “POOPOUT”

6 minutes ago, Summer1 said:

I am not sure if my Alprazolam is doing anything except keeping me from withdrawal. Strong anxiety last night. 

You are correct - it is keeping you from going into withdrawal.

And that's extremely important, as you are also stabilizing from an antidepressant reinstatement. 

And your "strong anxiety" could be from the antidepressant reinstatement, taking only half dose of lipids and d'ribose (per your drug and symptoms journal), or perhaps something happened during the day that caused your nervous system to be a bit more hyper-reactive. 

Many variables in the equation.

Using a humidifier in bedroom now .

Thoughts on today.  I really found myself waiting for my Alprazolam times to come around even though I am not always sure I will get much relief. 

Shep both you and Altostrata have mentioned working with the Alprazolam to get it ore steady. Altostrata had several thoughts in her January 19 post here. Tablets in ER .25mg have been mentioned (to avoid splitting the ER .5 mg tablet). Dividing doses through the day has also been mentioned using a scale or liquid titration. Valium was also mentioned. If I am going to be stabilizing for an extended period of time, the ER .25mg tablets are the most simple method. However I don't know how the ER properties compare to multi dosing. It is daunting to consider multi dosing for the next few years. I would appreciate thoughts on the options.      I thought I got some immediate relief from my night Alprazolam. Now at 30 minutes later i am feeling  some anxiety again but I think it is less uncomfortable. Thank you to all those helping.  

10 pm Bed

1:30 am Awake with anxiety and some sweating. Room very light due to reflections from snow storm. Worked on breathing. Cooled down rested and maybe dozed

4:30  Morning anxiety. Room felt cool to me. Got chilled. Sweating spell and hot flash.

5:30 Awake. Sluggish and tired

8:30 Alprazolam .25mg  

9-10:30 Ate banana. Went outside to help clear snow. Came in tired and weak. Felt better mentally -endorphins maybe?

11:20  Sertraline 2 mg.  I was more successful with the syringe today.

I am not noticing any clear mood changes after taking Alprazolam or Sertraline.  My anxiety and mood fluctuate quite a bit. Overall I was slightly more calm as the morning progressed. 

2:00 Ate fruit. First dose Energy Lipids, D-Ribose. All supplements. Anxiety increased soon after and continued. Could be supplement related or the fact that I was depressed I had not managed my day better. Began laundry.

4:00 Bowl of soup. 

6:00pm Second dose Energy Lipids and D-Ribose. Supper. Still feeling anxious. Burning in chest and achy tingly upper arms and legs. Upset stomach. Sinus drainage and coughing spells throughout the day.

8:30 Alprazolam .25 mg I feel exhausted and plan to go to bed as soon as possible

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

• Moderator Emeritus

Tablets in ER .25mg have been mentioned (to avoid splitting the ER .5 mg tablet). Dividing doses through the day has also been mentioned using a scale or liquid titration. Valium was also mentioned. If I am going to be stabilizing for an extended period of time, the ER .25mg tablets are the most simple method. However I don't know how the ER properties compare to multi dosing. It is daunting to consider multi dosing for the next few years. 

Yes, the ER .25 mg tablets would be the simplest. However, when you start to taper, the extended release will no longer be effective.

If you're not going to taper the alprazolam in the near future (and realistically you may not,  if you stabilize on the AD and then slowly taper off that drug first), so trying the ER may be the best way to go if you don't want to split out your doses. 

Keep in mind you'll have to switch back to regular pills before tapering if you are going to use a liquid taper (I've read that the formula for alprazolam extended release tablets is harder to dissolve in liquid, so the regular pills are recommended). 

9:30 pm  Bed. No bath. Had trouble with coughing a while. Slept fairly well. I woke several times with anxiety and feeling very warm.

3:40 am  Woke feeling warm with some anxiety. Adjusted covers and continued to rest and dose some. Still tired enough to rest through anxiety waves. By 4:30 I was pretty awake with morning cortisol. 

8:30 am  Alprazolam .25mg Still having some morning anxiety

9-9:30 Breakfast, Energy lipids and D-Ribose and all supplements. 

11:20  Sertraline 2mg 

12:30 Phone call with discouraging family news caused anxiety spike, and caused discomfort and tingling in arms and legs. Felt weak.  Went outside briefly

2:00  Lunch

3:00 pm Second dose Energy Lipids and D-ribose  Feeling more calm as the afternoon has worn on. Some joint pain and minor aches and tingling in legs. Don't have a lot of energy, but that is typical.

6:30  Supper. Still pretty calm.

7:00 Feeling tired and very sleepy. Still calm

8;30 Bath no epsom salts.

9:00 Alprazolam is not available in ER in the .25mg strength. So I  now have regular Alprazolam  .25mg pills with a dividing line. I will split these to spread out my doses to 4 times a day to see if this helps with any of my symptoms. So would I write each dose as Alprazolam .125 mg? I am dreading having to set my alarm. Sleep is so precious I hate to lose any. I will adjust my signature to reflect the change.

9:40 Going to try to sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Summer1 said:

So would I write each dose as Alprazolam .125 mg?

Yes.

• Moderator Emeritus

9:00 Alprazolam is not available in ER in the .25mg strength. So I  now have regular Alprazolam  .25mg pills with a dividing line. I will split these to spread out my doses to 4 times a day to see if this helps with any of my symptoms. So would I write each dose as Alprazolam .125 mg? 

Splitting out your doses 4 times a day is really a good schedule for alprazolam. 

Please note it is best to do this gradually, moving the dose out by one hour a day. For example, you would start by taking your morning .25 mg pill and splitting it into two doses of .125 mg. Take .125 mg at 8 AM  and .125 mg at 9 AM and keep your nighttime dose the same.

The next day, take .125 mg at 8 AM and .125 mg at 10 AM (and keep your nighttime dose the same). 

Move that second .125 mg dose to 11 AM the third day. And so forth until you've completely spaced it out by 5 hours. 

And then you would split the nighttime dose and move half of it back an hour a day. 

Your final schedule would be something like this: 

8:00 AM - .125 mg alprazolam

10:00 AM -  2 mg sertraline

12:00 PM - .125 mg alprazolam

5:00 PM - .125 mg alprazolam

10:00 PM - .125 mg alprazolam

Please note I moved your sertraline back about an hour from when you're currently taking it to keep it separate from the alprazolam so you can continue to assess the reinstatement. This gives you 4 - 5 hours between your daytime doses. If you find yourself wanting to go to bed earlier than 10 PM, you could keep that dose closer to the 8:30 or 9 PM time that you're currently taking it. 

The above schedule is just an example. Feel free to tweak it and make it your own. 

I am dreading having to set my alarm. Sleep is so precious I hate to lose any.

Please do not set an alarm to wake up to take the alprazolam. You are right - sleep is so precious. Let's preserve it. 

Please let me know if the above schedule makes sense and if you have any concerns. 

9:30 pm  Bed. No bath. Had trouble with coughing a while. Slept fairly well. I woke several times with anxiety and feeling very warm.

3:40 am  Woke feeling warm with some anxiety. Adjusted covers and continued to rest and dose some. Still tired enough to rest through anxiety waves. By 4:30 I was pretty awake with morning cortisol. 

8:30 am  Alprazolam .25mg Still having some morning anxiety

9-9:30 Breakfast, Energy lipids and D-Ribose and all supplements. 

11:20  Sertraline 2mg 

12:30 Phone call with discouraging family news caused anxiety spike, and caused discomfort and tingling in arms and legs. Felt weak.  Went outside briefly

2:00  Lunch

3:00 pm Second dose Energy Lipids and D-ribose  Feeling more calm as the afternoon has worn on. Some joint pain and minor aches and tingling in legs. Don't have a lot of energy, but that is typical.

6:30  Supper. Still pretty calm.

7:00 Feeling tired and very sleepy. Still calm

8;30 Bath no epsom salts.

9:00 Alprazolam is not available in ER in the .25mg strength. So I  now have regular Alprazolam  .25mg pills with a dividing line. I will split these to spread out my doses to 4 times a day to see if this helps with any of my symptoms. So would I write each dose as Alprazolam .125 mg? I am dreading having to set my alarm. Sleep is so precious I hate to lose any. I will adjust my signature to reflect the change.

9:40 Going to try to sleep.