SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TimStivens: one week on Paxil, I'm destroyed ?

TimStivens

Hello. 

Altostrata I saw your clip on the youtube where you talked about your experience with the medication. I took one week medication Paxil and It did completely destroyed me.. when I stopped taking this medication I felt so bad and did not know what was happening to me .. then I went to a lot of doctors first with a neurologist who prescribed it and Of course he did not know anything about why I felt so bad... I was doing a lot of analysis and review at doctor, and everything was fine ... even the magnetic resonance of the head, but still I felt so sick.... When I stopped the drug I had a bad concentration, bad memory, forgetfulness, bad sleep, poor libido, poor erection, muscles I do not feel always, Im tired, I can not get muscle inflammation after I exercise, I dont have passion for some things It simply destroyed myself - That drug. I spent so much time try to descover how to reverse this condition and every time i hit wall... the time can only help. I took it for one week, and now its past 5 yrs i feel the same ..im having same symptopms when I stopped that drug? Is it possible that im damaged for life?

Please Altostrata, can you tell me this... After 9 yrs did you recover fully in sence that your memory, concentration, muscles and libido is as good as it was before you took that drug?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed mod note

I took One week Paxil...

After that I didnt took anything.

Now after 5 years after I used it Im not myself...the same myself as I was before taking that hells drug...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tim and welcome to SA.

This is the link to Altostrata's story.  I'm sure you will find most, if not all, answers to the questions you have asked her.  about-altostrata-withdrawal-syndrome-since-2004

However, please note that Altostrata experienced withdrawal syndrome from stopping Paxil too quickly, she did not have an adverse reaction to Paxil, so her situation is very different from your own.

You might also find this topic helpful:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take  Especially this:  But I only took it for a Week

Q:  Are there any issues that you had that have improved?

This in your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obsolete question

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you so much.

I would like to hear it directly from Altostrata if she could... It would mean so much for me, since I watched her on youtube.

I did read it but I simply dont understand withdrawal and adverse, dont understant the difference? How that different in terms of recovery?

I felt bad on paxil and when i stop it after 7 days I felt 10000% worse. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obsolete answer

I took One week Paxil...

Now after 5 years after I used it Im not myself...the same myself as I was before taking that hells drug...

• ChessieCat changed the title to TimStivens: one week on Paxil, I'm destroyed ?
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 1/26/2015 at 6:55 AM, Altostrata said:

One huge difference is

• Side effects occur when you are on the drug, they are a result of the drug's presence in your body.
  • Withdrawal symptoms occur when you reduce the drug, they are a result of physiological dependence and the drug's absence at the accustomed level in your body.

Mild side effects, such as nausea, might go away over time. In fact, doctors assume that ALL side effects will go away over time. However, this is not true, and continuing side effects indicate the drug and your body will never get along at that dosage.

Continuing side effects or severe side effects, often called adverse effects, will continue as long as you are on the drug. I

Adverse effects are dosage-related; it's possible that a lower dose will not cause side effects. Unfortunately, misinformation about psychiatric drugs is so pervasive that many doctors will increase the dosage rather than decrease it when side effects persist, in the mistaken belief that more is always better. Excessive dosage can bring on additional problems.

Severe side effects are often called adverse effects. Confusingly, withdrawal syndrome is also sometimes called an adverse effect of drugs, but it cannot be called a side effect because side effects arise from the presence rather than the absence of the drug.

Withdrawal syndrome arises from inconsistent dosing or dosage reduction and tends to resolve over time.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Ok, thanks Im getting it. 

But I still want an answer from Altostrata, can you tell me this... After 9 yrs did you recover fully in sence that your memory, concentration, muscles and libido is as good as it was before you took that drug?

I took One week Paxil...

• Moderator Emeritus

These posts from Altostrata have been extracted from about Page 22 of this topic:  pssd-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction

The blue font is Alto's response.  It means that Alto will not need to repeat herself.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:40 AM, Spruce30 said:

How long did it take you to fully recover from PSSD Altostrata? Did you feel you would never heal at some points?

It took me a few years, Spruce.

On 4/19/2018 at 4:06 AM, Altostrata said:

Complete genital anesthesia. Ghost orgasms. Non-linear. Sensation very, very gradually returned.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:54 AM, Altostrata said:

Yes, I had anhedonia. I had the whole kit, except for nausea. Many, many people on this site have experienced emotional anesthesia and recovered from it.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:11 AM, Spruce30 said:

When you say a few years Altostrata, I was wondering if you could be a bit more specific?

I think I read on a Rxisk article comment that you said for the ghost orgasms and the genital anaesthesia to fully recover it took about 7-9 years? Is this about the time frame it took for you to feel completely recovered ?

It took a few years for sensation to return. There was very gradual continual improvement after that, which is what you would expect from neuroplasticity.

Not knowing the Rxisk comment to which you refer, I cannot explain further. It may not even have been my comment.

As that was 4 years ago, please forgive me if I didn't remember it.

This was my PSSD status in 2014: https://rxisk.org/recovering-from-pssd/#comment-2491

I myself have recovered from PSSD. After coming off Paxil in October 2004, among other withdrawal symptoms I had the absolute genital anesthesia, which lasted for perhaps a year. Very slowly, genital sensation came back.

Then I experienced perhaps 3 years of “ghost” orgasms, in which arousal is followed by what would have been an orgasm but instead, a non-event lacking sensation, and then a refractory period.

Following that, I had perhaps a 4-year phase of “ghost” orgasms with occasional weak orgasms, which gradually became stronger and more frequent.

At about 9 years post-Paxil, I was fully recovered from PSSD. As I was menopausal before I came off Paxil, my belief is younger people with full complements of sexual hormones will tend to recover faster. However, recovery from PSSD can be almost imperceptibly gradual, which can be masked or even impeded by the very understandable frustration, anger, and despair brought on by the condition.

I had many, many other withdrawal symptoms that occupied my mind other than libido. I was more or less housebound for about 5 years; I had no interest in sex.

My one case is not that important. Everyone is going to be different. And, as I've said before, I think of PSSD as only one among a spectrum of very troubling symptoms of neurological dysregulation. If you only have PSSD, things could be a lot worse.

Ok ,thank you. 

Is Altostrata symptoms of low libido conected with memory fog, bad concentration ? When she recovered form PSSD is she at the same time recovered form bad memory, bad concentration, bad sleep? Does that goes together?

I have very also weak orgasm, weak erection and so on... Im just not my old self - in that physical sense.

How can I speed recovery? I read about Inositol that can help? But Im skeptical...

I took One week Paxil...

I am so angry... and Im feeling so bad about this.. I didnt get warned about this side effect. I m not the same person as I was before Paxil...... My life is destroyed... I just dont see the point of living anymore.  I cant do anything and I think that I will never recover... Im thinking of commiting suicide...  I really dont like to live like this, in suffering.. Im suffering.. this is destroyed my life... My life is destroyed...

I took One week Paxil...

• Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry that you are feeling so desperate.

From this topic:  for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

On 12/24/2014 at 12:10 AM, mammaP said:

Sadly, many of us have felt that we simply cannot carry on. Most of us here have been in that situation, some as a side effect of medication and others from withdrawal. It is a feeling that is all consuming and taunts us day and night. We are all deeply saddened to see a fellow member feeling so low and being powerless to help. We are not professionals and not equipped to offer the support and guidance that is needed, but are here to offer understanding and empathy.  

What you are feeling is real, it is devastating and it hurts, but it will get better.  In the meantime it is important that you talk to someone. Talking about your feelings will help you to deal with them. There are many agencies that have helplines dedicated to helping people who are suicidal and I am going to post links to some organisations that can offer the support that we can't. 

Talking helps us to put things into perspective and release some of the tension, especially when no-one seems to understand or believe what we are going through. If you are religious then maybe someone at your church will understand and listen without judgement. 

I have found helplines extremely helpful in the past, sometimes talking to a stranger who doesn't know you is easier. They  have no preconceptions and do not judge you, simply listen as you pour out your heart.

If the feelings are overwhelming then call the emergency room, or accident and emergency department of your local hospital. 

We at SA care about you very much and want to see you get better, it is devastating for all of us when someone cannot take any more and wish we could do more but we are limited in what we can offer.

Please tell us how you are feeling, but  please understand how it is for us when someone says they are going to end their life and not come back. We do not want to lose you, we want you to get better. 

We encourage you to find local support.  This website has links to support hotlines in different countries:  http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

Im in suffering.. ...Im thinking of commiting suicide... I cant get pass that that I will never recover and be as I was before drug... I feel scamed i given legal drug...this is drug... a real drug.. I didnt know that... How dare thay to give this to people that never used drug or alchohol...to destroy my life with legal drugs... 

Even Altostrata didnt recover after use... I didnt find that she recovered mental sharpens and memory concentration ?

I took One week Paxil...

Hi Tim,  I recently started withdrawing from Paxil after taking it for 16 years.  You can see my history in my signature.  Did you say it's been five years since you last took Paxil?  Were you prescribed any other meds during that time?  Did something happen recently to make you feel so desperate?  I have tried to stop taking Paxil three times in the past and was unsuccessful.  It makes me angry sometimes that doctors blindly prescribe these meds.

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2002- Paxil - 20 mg (3 WD attempts: 2005, 2008, 2010)

2011 - 30 mg 

2018 - 40 mg- Sept to Nov} {Dec - 37.5}

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tim,

I’m so sorry for what you’re been through and what you’re still going through. 

I really wouldn’t lose hope over other people’s stories. Everyone is unique and I appreciate 5 years is a long time, but there’s nothing to say you won’t heal. 

Have you seen any patches of improvement over the last 5 years? Even if not, please don’t despair. Tomorrow is another day, another day for healing. 

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

• Administrator

Welcome, Tim.

Yes, some people have bad effects from these drugs with only a few doses, and it can take a long time to recover, just like withdrawal syndrome.

Have you seen any improvement over 5 years? What symptoms have improved, what has not? How's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello Altostrata, Im really glad that you answered me since I watched you on youtube and your story give me hope and I understand what happen to me.. I cant beleive that this happened to me... me who never drink alchohol not ever try drug... and I was scamed and tricked to take legal drug... im so stupid.. Im naive... im angry at me and at the stupid system that torture people like this.... 

My condition after i throw away that paxil was very bad...  i was feeling just sick.. just sick and strange,  i was not my self... after one year i was better but still after one year i have memory problems... concentration is so bad.. feel like I cant learn anything new...I try, just dont have concentration to memory it... my libido is very bad weak erection, weak orgasms.. low libido... and before this paxil I was great on that field. My sleep is strange... I can sleep without interuptions.. I sleep 2,3 hours then I wake up... and then I cant sleep... or sometimes i continuu to sleep for 3 more hours and I feel like I didnt sleep...very bad sleep... i feel like my sleep is not deep ... i wake up not feling refreshed... before that my sleep was great... i could sleep for 8 hours without interuptions... 

Did you recover 100% in a sence that your memory libido concentration muscles and sleep are the same as before taking paxil?

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded and added space

I took One week Paxil...

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tim, 

I just wanted to say I’m so sorry you are going through this, but our brains are quite marvellous. We all eventually recover. It took Alto a long time to recover, but she’s doing fine now. Please don’t lose hope, you will get there too. It’s a really, long and slow process but we will win this fight.

Just take a day at a time, an hour at a time, or a minute at a time if need be. Are there other things you can focus on besides your symptoms? I have a million distractions: hobbies( I love arts and crafts), friends, nature, music, DVDs and Netflix. The list is endless. Time is the healer, we just have to distract ourselves while we are healing. You will get there! 

Sending hugs🤗🤗

Edited by Carmie
Typo

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hi Tim

ill be 6 years in May. I can’t believe it happened to me as well. My life has been destroyed to. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and look forward. The past is the past 

Mirtazipine - 2013 (12months) - COLD TURKEY - NO SIDE EFFECTS
Zoloft - 2014 (6 weeks) - ADVERSE REACTION!!!

Currently only take 5mg Valium on a as needed basis (once a month)

Current symptoms - Sensitive CNS, Tinnitus, Insomnia, Erectile Dysfunction, Feel terrible every single day, No emotions, HELL!

Hi Tim,

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. I’ve been taking Paxil for 30 years, ever since it first came on the market. At first it helped me out of a severe seemingly permanent depression, but it stopped working so I decided to get off it. I’m now in the second year of withdrawal, going very slowly. I suffer from the same symptoms you have: memory, libido, sleep, concentration, plus relentless nausea that never goes away. Exhaustion. It’s comforting to know that many people have gotten through this, but it does take time. Please don’t give up. You have lots of company here. 

Long history with many psych drugs beginning in 1987. Went through two too-fast Paxil withdrawals in the past. Ended up in ER both times. I successfully got off Wellbutrin, and (occasional only) Seroquel, Concerta, and Klonopin over six months. Current supplements: multivitamin, probiotic, D3, magnesium, CBD. Current drugs: Ranitidine 300 mg. for acid reflux, Paxil (tapering off).

Paxil Taper History, 2018/2019

Jan.1: 60 mg. May 1: 55 mg. May 13: 50 mg. June 3: 47.5 mg. June 14: 45 mg. June 21: 42.5 mg. July 5: 40 mg. Switched to figuring by weight. 40 mg. = .704 July 22: .686. July 29: .669. August 5: .652. August 12: .635. September 2: 30 mg. October 2: 25 mg. November 2: 22 mg. December 1: 20 mg. January 6: 18 mg. Now using a digital scale and an emery board to taper. January 16: I decided to go back on the drugs after a year of tapering. I’m more depressed than ever, and do not believe it’s withdrawal. Thank you, everyone, for your support, advice, and kindness. Centime.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tim, How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.