Jump to content
A14n

A14n: fear/terror feeling sertraline and mirtazapine cold turkey

Recommended Posts

A14n
11 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

 

A14n,

 

Anxiety is a very common withdrawal symptom. Unfortunately once the nervous system becomes destabilised, we can begin to feel extremely scared and anxious without any known cause. We can also become more triggered by external events which would normally be unchallenging. 

 

I know that your current taper has been relatively slow, but unfortunately it sounds like after the two cold turkeys, you’ve become destabilised and are still experiencing withdrawal type symptoms. 

 

Are you having any windows at all? Any signs of worsening or improvement at all? 

I know I have already asked similar questions, but I think this is important to really consider. I know when you feel bad most of the time, it all begins to blur together into ‘I always feel awful’, but any extra insight would be helpful.

In the evening I feel slightly more at ease if you can call that a window?.

 

I sleep ok. When I wake up I am ok for a few minutes and then BOOM I'm freaking out don't even feel safe in my own bed what is that about? It's as if someone is holding a gun to my head throughout the day awful feeling unbearable but have to endure it. My limbs feel like they have electricity running through them. I can't get any enjoyment out of life only suffer and try to survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
eymen23

Hi A14n,

 

Yes, I understand the symptoms well and I truly do empathise. That is a classic sign of an overactive fight or flight system. It is incredibly draining and difficult to live with on a daily basis. As hard as it is, please rest assured that it is a common symptom pattern once the nervous system becomes destabilised by withdrawal. 

 

Many people with withdrawal syndrome report feeling their worst in the morning. Not always, but it is common. Cortisol is (usually) highest in the morning and lowest at night, so hyperarousal type symptoms are often worse in the morning and trickle off a little by night. 

 

Are there any days that you have less intense symptoms or where the symptoms drop off entirely? I think it would be sensible to keep notes of your symptoms across the next few days, so we can get a clearer view of the symptom pattern. I will post the suggested format shortly. 

Share this post


Link to post
eymen23

Here is the suggested format. Please keep notes which include the timing or symptoms, drugs and dosage, meals and sleep patterns. 

 

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Share this post


Link to post
Dejavu

A14n, I suffer from the same morning anxiety. Mine went away during my one and only window so far. Now that I'm back in a wave, it has returned, but noticeably less intense. I hope that gives you some reassurance that (1) it is a common withdrawal symtom as eyemen23 has told you; and (2) that symptoms will slowly abate with time. Please make sure to fully answer all the mods' questions. They've seen many, many cases and they can help you.

 

Sending healing energy to you. Breathe!

Share this post


Link to post
A14n
10 hours ago, eymen23 said:

Hi A14n,

 

Yes, I understand the symptoms well and I truly do empathise. That is a classic sign of an overactive fight or flight system. It is incredibly draining and difficult to live with on a daily basis. As hard as it is, please rest assured that it is a common symptom pattern once the nervous system becomes destabilised by withdrawal. 

 

Many people with withdrawal syndrome report feeling their worst in the morning. Not always, but it is common. Cortisol is (usually) highest in the morning and lowest at night, so hyperarousal type symptoms are often worse in the morning and trickle off a little by night. 

 

Are there any days that you have less intense symptoms or where the symptoms drop off entirely? I think it would be sensible to keep notes of your symptoms across the next few days, so we can get a clearer view of the symptom pattern. I will post the suggested format shortly. 

Thank you, I will start taking notes. I've been in one continuous wave for so long it's hard to say if I ever felt any better. Today I woke up without the terror feeling, but quite anxious of it coming back. So I guess that is a positive. It usually hits me full force not long after I wake up but didn't happen today. Glad I'm writing it here so I can look back on it if I get way worse again. Thank you everyone so glad I found this site

Share this post


Link to post
A14n
10 hours ago, Dejavu said:

A14n, I suffer from the same morning anxiety. Mine went away during my one and only window so far. Now that I'm back in a wave, it has returned, but noticeably less intense. I hope that gives you some reassurance that (1) it is a common withdrawal symtom as eyemen23 has told you; and (2) that symptoms will slowly abate with time. Please make sure to fully answer all the mods' questions. They've seen many, many cases and they can help you.

 

Sending healing energy to you. Breathe!

Hi dejavu, I actually woke up not feeling terrorised today which is a first for a long time. But still anxious that it will happen. But I have a bit of hope. How are you feeling in your current wave? I hope you can get some respite from it very soon. This too shall pass. When in a wave it feels never ending but it will it has to 

Share this post


Link to post
A14n

8am woke up, eyes still closed. Random thoughts going through head, like I'm still dreaming?

11am thinking about getting up, random thoughts becoming less, fear level not too bad hoping it stays that way.

11:20am heart racing

12pm stomach ache

12:38 loose bowel movements

12:45pm having a cup of tea, the terror feeling is no where as bad today, feeling slightly hopeful

1:49pm ate an apple

2:15pm took sertraline 

2:20pm hands and feet freezing

2:30pm ate a pizza 

3pm stomach ache 

3:10pm cup of tea

3:15pm get ready for work(heart racing) feel a little tired not too anxious 

4pm start work

7:20pm tired, little anxious 

7:30pm slightly nauseated feeling

9:30pm, left off work derealisation quite bad, head feels a little numb


10pm bicycled back home from work, tired anxiety quite low

10:20pm had a bite to eat. made cup of tea, trying to relax and watch some tv

12:25am in bed feels like today was a better day
 

Share this post


Link to post
eymen23

Hi A14n,

 

I’m glad today was a better day. Let’s hope you have more of those going forward.

 

Thank you for providing notes. What we often find is that notes provide a more honest and objective view of symptoms. When we feel bad, we get stuck into thinking we have always felt bad, and will always feel bad. By keeping notes and having evidence of better periods, we can hopefully pick up on symptom patterns over time. 

Share this post


Link to post
A14n
11 hours ago, eymen23 said:

Hi A14n,

 

I’m glad today was a better day. Let’s hope you have more of those going forward.

 

Thank you for providing notes. What we often find is that notes provide a more honest and objective view of symptoms. When we feel bad, we get stuck into thinking we have always felt bad, and will always feel bad. By keeping notes and having evidence of better periods, we can hopefully pick up on symptom patterns over time. 

I will try and keep notes now. Today I feel more anxious thought I was turning a corner yesterday. At work yesterday I had quite a few sugary sweets and last night ate some fish sticks think they had Msg in them wonder if thats made me worse 

Share this post


Link to post
A14n

Don't understand why I feel so bad again, my hearts pounding, I feel so scared and depressed nothing feels real so detached what's going on :(

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat
9 hours ago, A14n said:

last night ate some fish sticks think they had Msg

 

MSG is a neurotoxin / excitotoxin which tricks the brain into thinking food has more flavour than it does.

 

msg-food-what-to-eat-what-not-to-eat

 

chinese-food-and-msg

 

7 hours ago, A14n said:

Don't understand why I feel so bad again,

 

If the fish sticks had MSG, that may be why you feel bad again.

Share this post


Link to post
A14n
54 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

 

MSG is a neurotoxin / excitotoxin which tricks the brain into thinking food has more flavour than it does.

 

msg-food-what-to-eat-what-not-to-eat

 

chinese-food-and-msg

 

 

If the fish sticks had MSG, that may be why you feel bad again.

What other effects does MSG have on the CNS? It feels like I have a chemical terror attack going on inside my brain. I find it unbearable but I want to feel normal again. I can't imagine anything worse than this feeling 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

The worst thing you can do is panic.  That is only going to add additional stress and cause more reactions in your body.

 

If what you are experiencing is completely then that it could well be that you have ingested MSG and because of withdrawal your nervous system may be more sensitive which is why you might be noticing the reaction/s from the MSG.  It might take a few days for things to settle down, assuming that it is caused by the MSG.

 

I think it would be better not to research further but to accept that you have/may have eaten MSG and that is what is causing the symptoms you are currently getting.

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

And of course, don't eat any more MSG.

Share this post


Link to post
A14n

10am woke up, feeling anxious

11:30am up and dressed dpdr bad, depressed quite fearful

11:45am cup of tea

1:00pm trying to stay grounded, confusion bad

1:15pm getting chills throughout my body 

1:20pm ate some fruit

2:05pm loose bowel movement

2:10pm feeling scared and depressed 

2:25pm took sertraline 

3pm ate scrambled egg on toast

3:25pm feel total despair 

4:00pm at work, feel dread and this horrific dark feeling 

6:00pm anxiety is so extreme 

6:20 zoning out (dissociation? ) 

7:00pm ate dinner

8:15pm feel very tired

9:38pm electric feeling in limbs, feel fear 

10:30pm home from work, head feels numb and fear feels pretty high

11:00pm unable to focus, zoned out. Nothing makes sense, confusion 


11:30pm afraid to go to bed incase tomorrow is also unbearable 

12:00am watching TV can't concentrate on it

12:05am random muscle twitching in left arm

12:40am ate some cereal bran flakes

1:20am in bed anxious about tomorrow 


 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×