Hi, I was prescribed citalopram 8 years ago for depression, I was told then that coming off had to be tapered but nothing of the dangers really. I was also told I could only get 30 days supply at a time and I needed to come in every 60 days for a check up. I did all this and the depression was seriously reduced.

Two or three years ago I started getting a tremor, my doctor told me this was a side effect of Citalopram, I also notice some numbness in hands and feet. Hated it so 6 months ago started to taper, bad side effects, tried Ezetimibe (Ezetimibe is a drug that lowers plasma cholesterol levels. It acts by decreasing cholesterol absorption in the small intestine.), put me straight to sleep. We had recently switched to a plant based diet and the effects of this on my well being were startlingly positive. This helped my decision to get off Citalopram. Also I have been in recovery 20 years so no alcohol or drugs. As I am forthright and foolish, I chucked all the anti depressants in the bin and went cold turkey. I knew this would be tough but went ahead. The initial effects lasted two months, they were headaches, insomnia, tiredness disorientation but I got through that pretty well

4 months in I have suddenly been hit by anxiety, bad periods of depression and rage episodes (not normally a rager at all) I have sometimes contemplated suicide or running off to be alone. I am very happily married and very fortunate with my material well being.

I have just found this site and realise I am not alone, I feel much better, thank you all for that. Nothing would ever induce me back on that muck but I can see I may be in this for quite a while. I think knowing it’s real and what’s driving it is 50% of the way to beating it. I remain positive that I will once again be stable and normal.

Some points of interest.

Getting off citilapram was like lifting a lead blanket off my head, drive and energy returned.

the tremor has changed and reduced but has not gone

In hindsite I should have sought more info and tapered slowly as recommended here

Recovery will take over a year I think

We exercise a lot, pretty fit and walking really helps

one day we will look back on these things and wonder why we ever started with them

if it does not get better I will have to go back and taper I guess

love to hear any ideas or advice

citilopram 20mg daily

Edited by ChessieCat
added drug info
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 1/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, Biggles said:

4 months in I have suddenly been hit by anxiety, bad periods of depression and rage episodes (not normally a rager at all) I have sometimes contemplated suicide or running off to be alone. I am very happily married and very fortunate with my material well being.

if it does not get better I will have to go back and taper I guess

Hello Biggles and welcome to SA. 

It sounds like you have been off for 4 months and are getting withdrawal symptoms. 

Yes, it is possible to reinstate a very tiny amount (please don't do this yet!) and taper from there. How tolerable are your symptoms? 

Please summarize your drug history and changes in a drug signature using these instructions: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Please also keep notes about your daily symptom pattern on paper. It sounds like you have some good coping skills, which is so important. 

Again, welcome. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa