Jump to content
BfromNJ

BfromNJ: mirtazapine taper

Recommended Posts

BfromNJ

So I get this weird tingling/electrical type feeling in the back of my throat when I swallow .   its so odd.  Then it seems like my tinnitus will act up.  or maybe the act of swallowing is affecting the tinnitus.  Also, this thick feeling in my head, and almost like my brain is loose/shakey.  Is this possibly brain zaps? 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

Not wanting to put any additional drugs into my system, can someone tell me a natural rememdy for sinus inflammation?  I use saline nasal spray .  Not crazy about the neti pot/bottle thing.  lol.   I don't use it right I don't think.   I am going to be ramping up my accupunture on this.   

 

Just looking for some other suggestions.  

 

Thanks. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SDOE

Haven't tried this but have you looked into ozone therapy (with olive oil) for sinusitis? Some acupuncturist do.

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

There are many existing topics on this site.  Please do a search before starting a new topic.

 

I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.  Using throat, head, brain zaps (separate searches) found the following:

 

swallowing-and-throat-problems

 

head-symptoms

 

brain-zaps

 

I've experienced brain zaps.  Loose/shaky brain doesn't sound like brain zaps.

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, Altostrata said:

Hello, Bfrom.

 

When you go into the hospital for psychiatric reasons, you can count on coming out on a boatload of drugs.

 

It's unfortunate that you were tapering off mirtazapine for sleep and now you're on 3 drugs because of mirtazapine withdrawal.

 

Why are you taking Luvox? What is the gabapentin supposed to do for you? You had an adverse reaction to it before, correct?

 

Yes, Luvox would go first, as you want to maintain sleep with the other drugs (if they help sleep). Since you've been on it for more than a month, you are at risk for withdrawal symptoms. As it's been only 35 days, you might try a 25% reduction to start, but you'll have to put it up right away if you get withdrawal symptoms.

 

Read Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

 

Please think carefully: Going off psychiatric drugs means you may need to carefully taper, possibly cope with withdrawal symptoms, and use non-drug techniques to deal with your life problems. Is this something you want to do? Do you want to unpatient yourself?

Yes, it is something I want to do.  I beat myself up everyday now about going inpatient, but I was in a bad place that day.  and I was scaring my family.  hindsite I think it had a lot to do with the mirtazapine withdraw.  My boyfriend gives me an I told you so all the time also and I don't need to hear it from him, I know I made a mistake.  I will need to learn other ways of dealing with the withdraw etc.  I don't care for my current therapist, so on with the search for another.  

 

I see my doctor Tuesday (regular GP with a background in psych). I am hoping he is onboard with writing my script to compound to liquid the luvox.  the pharmacy said he can call them for help.  if hes not, I suppose I will be buying a scale and doing the non liquid version myself.  Im not comfortable mixing liquid at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

Hello all. . I have yet another question, after reading about reinstating medications.  from my signature you will see I was on gabapentin end of November - to December 8th.  about 14 days total.  300 mg.  They started me on it again February 19th, this time 600 mg.    I developed tinnitus about a month after I stopped this particular med.   I cannot say for sure it was the cause, as I had also gone off of Prozac in November after 10 days or so.  Also has other factors, extreme stress, hormones, other medications, such as antibiotics, dental procedures and anistesia for a medical test. 

 

But my question is, could it be that I am having such horrible symptoms now because I was technically reinstated on this drug at a higher dose?  Not sure because I was on the gabapentin for such a short time initially and this time its two months later.   I was just reading about reinstating and it scared me that it says not to reinstate at a higher dose.  I was not reinstated on this drug because of withdrawal, it was because the doctor wanted me to try it again for anxiety.  

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

So tomorrow I meet with my doctor to discuss getting the compound of the luvox.  I am hoping he is okay with this.   He is not the original doctor who prescribed my meds, he is my GP, but he specializes in psych meds, etc.  I cant stand my psych nurse and I know he will not be any help,  so I am hoping that my GP will agree to help me. if not, I suppose I will be buying myself a scale and starting with the taper that way. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

I wasn't sure where to ask this-  anyone else have an issue with drinking alkaline water,  because its fortified with magnesium and calcium?  I know it's a stretch but I'm wondering if it making my symptoms worse.  

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

can someone tell me how I can change the name/subject of this post?  since  technically I am not tapering mirtazapine any longer.    thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

I am having a day where I am beating myself up.  had I known where I would be now, I never would have started with these meds and the changing of same said meds.  I feel like its all my fault and I have made a mess of myself.    I know that I cant beat myself up and I must move forward, but physically im in a bad spot now.  my meds currently are interacting with each other and i also don't know if i am having withdraw (from stopping mirt. 2/15) or side effects of current meds or both? 

 

if i don't know what it is, how do i correct it?  do i just start my first taper and carry on?  

Share this post


Link to post
Shep
On 3/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, BfromNJ said:

I have yet another question, after reading about reinstating medications.  from my signature you will see I was on gabapentin end of November - to December 8th.  about 14 days total.  300 mg.  They started me on it again February 19th, this time 600 mg.    I developed tinnitus about a month after I stopped this particular med.   I cannot say for sure it was the cause, as I had also gone off of Prozac in November after 10 days or so.  Also has other factors, extreme stress, hormones, other medications, such as antibiotics, dental procedures and anistesia for a medical test. 

 

But my question is, could it be that I am having such horrible symptoms now because I was technically reinstated on this drug at a higher dose?  Not sure because I was on the gabapentin for such a short time initially and this time its two months later.   I was just reading about reinstating and it scared me that it says not to reinstate at a higher dose.  I was not reinstated on this drug because of withdrawal, it was because the doctor wanted me to try it again for anxiety.  

 

1 hour ago, BfromNJ said:

I am having a day where I am beating myself up.  had I known where I would be now, I never would have started with these meds and the changing of same said meds.  I feel like its all my fault and I have made a mess of myself.    I know that I cant beat myself up and I must move forward, but physically im in a bad spot now.  my meds currently are interacting with each other and i also don't know if i am having withdraw (from stopping mirt. 2/15) or side effects of current meds or both? 

 

if i don't know what it is, how do i correct it?  do i just start my first taper and carry on?  

 

Please start a drug and symptoms journal.

 

You may or may not be dependent on the high gabapentin reinstatement dose at this point. You may be able to reduce it. But it will help to know what your symptoms are within the context of when you take your drugs.

 

Please do this over the next few days. 

 

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

 

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

 

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

 

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:
 
6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
16 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

 

Please start a drug and symptoms journal.

 

You may or may not be dependent on the high gabapentin reinstatement dose at this point. You may be able to reduce it. But it will help to know what your symptoms are within the context of when you take your drugs.

 

Please do this over the next few days. 

 

 

okay I will do this.  thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

There are many existing topics on this site.  Please do a search before creating a new topic.  I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

 

I've merged the topic you created with the existing topic.  You will also find other members' experiences discussed there too:

 

brain-zaps

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

So I am a bit concerned that maybe the symptoms I am having now are from discontinuation of mirtazapine back in February.. and honestly some things I am reading here scare me.  The idea that the only way to alleviate the withdraw syptoms is to reinstate scare me.  So does it mean that my symptoms, if they are from discontinuation of mirtazapine, will NEVER go away unless I reinstate?  or do I still have hope that they will?  I do not want to reinstate if I am not sure it is discontinuation or just side effects of my current meds. Also not sure about reinstating since I am not on three meds as it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
bheb
42 minutes ago, BfromNJ said:

The idea that the only way to alleviate the withdraw syptoms is to reinstate scare me.  So does it mean that my symptoms, if they are from discontinuation of mirtazapine, will NEVER go away unless I reinstate? 

 

No!!! It does not mean that, don't worry. Reinstating is the only thing you can do to alleviate withdrawal symptoms in the present. It's not a cure at all -- for those it helps, it may only take the edge off symptoms. Time is the cure for this. Your symptoms should get better slowly over time.

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
10 minutes ago, bheb said:

 

No!!! It does not mean that, don't worry. Reinstating is the only thing you can do to alleviate withdrawal symptoms in the present. It's not a cure at all -- for those it helps, it may only take the edge off symptoms. Time is the cure for this. Your symptoms should get better slowly over time.

thank you for the reassurance. I appreciate it.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

Its so sad when I put the math into a spreadsheet and I see that its going to take me what like two years , at such a low dose already, to come off a med that I have only been on such a short time.  how do I live with the side effects and horrible way it makes me feel for sooooo long?  the reality of it set in when I did the spreadsheet.  im sick over it.     :(  or am I being stupid here?   when I put the starting dose in, if I am on 25 mg, do I just put in 25 or is it .025?  im confused.   I am looking at the attached spreadsheets and trying to figure out how long it will take me to go off of 25 mg of luvox, at 10% every three weeks, or also considering 7.5% every ten days ( which may be too fast).   

 

 

 

 

taper.xlsx

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley
2 hours ago, BfromNJ said:

how do I live with the side effects and horrible way it makes me feel for sooooo long? 

Yes, it is hard to wrap your mind around how long it takes.  It is especially frustrating when you've been on the drug a short time.  It may be a little comforting to know that as you lower your dose, side effects generally diminish.

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
13 hours ago, Gridley said:

Yes, it is hard to wrap your mind around how long it takes.  It is especially frustrating when you've been on the drug a short time.  It may be a little comforting to know that as you lower your dose, side effects generally diminish.

It's just so frustrating because I have two more meds as well!  And the next one, I want to taper, gabapentin  can do some serious damage longer you are on it.  

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

So is withdraw still possible even if you are on a new med?  Can you still have withdraw from the previous one?   I am wondering if I am still suffering withdraw from stopping mirtazapine back on 2/15, even though I have since been put on other meds.   I am asking because I do not know if I am having side effects from current meds, which I plan to taper, or withdraw from the mirtazapine.  or possibly both?  gosh did I ever mess up my nervous system.  well, with the help of doctors. :(

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

I need some input from the mods or admins here please.    I know im supposed to taper off of the antidepressant first, Luvox.  So I have been told that Luvox is actually sedating, because its for OCD/anxiety and "off label" for depression. Is that correct?  And if that is the case, that means I am on three "brakes?"   so do I still taper the luvox first or go for the gabapentin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Shep
1 minute ago, BfromNJ said:

I need some input from the mods or admins here please.    I know im supposed to taper off of the antidepressant first, Luvox.  So I have been told that Luvox is actually sedating, because its for OCD/anxiety and "off label" for depression. Is that correct?  And if that is the case, that means I am on three "brakes?"   so do I still taper the luvox first or go for the gabapentin? 

 

Please see my post here.

 

We really need a few days of a drug and symptoms journal. And then we can help you set up a strategy for coming off. 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
7 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

Please see my post here.

 

We really need a few days of a drug and symptoms journal. And then we can help you set up a strategy for coming off. 

I did start to do this.  Its just hard because I cant even think straight most of the time.  cognitive function is not so good.  :(  but im trying. 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:44 AM, Karl said:

Hi B, it seems you’ve had a similar experience to me with various meds being thrown in and adverse reactions to all of them. I don’t feel myself at all on Mairtazapine, been on them six weeks and really want to come off. I was on 15mg for 4 weeks, 30mg for the last 9 days, and went down to 15mg last night and another 7.5mg a few hours later, so initial taper is starting at 22.5mg, which is a bit above the 10 % recommendation, but I’m going to see how that goes. I also have a strange ear zinging, which started when I was on Prozac for a couple of weeks,, thought it was tinnitus but think the meds aren’t helping. All the best with your taper, let’s see how we go along from here. 😁

karl how have you been making out? 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
22 hours ago, Shep said:

 

Please see my post here.

 

We really need a few days of a drug and symptoms journal. And then we can help you set up a strategy for coming off. 

Hi Shep.  Here is my journal of last few days.  Hopefully its sufficient.  :)    

 

4/2
4:15- awoke but played in bed.  couldn't fall back asleep.  I always think about whether my symptoms will be there when I get up.  no anxiety really though.  when I first wake up is most normal feeling part of my day.  no ear ringing, etc. 
6:00-  got up.  felt normal, just little ear pressure.  by 7, started to feel the buzzing/tingling, electrical feeling in throat and head. not too bad though.  head pretty clear. 
7:00- breakfast 
       -200 mg of gabapentin
       - probiotic
8:00 - work
9:30- snack
periodic throat sensation when swallowing.  it's like swallowing sends an impulse to my brain (this happens frequently, its hard to even tell if its in my throat or head, if that makes sense).
11:00- 25 mg fluvoxamine (luvox)
12:30-  feeling of being off balance, dizzy, disconnected.   zinging/buzzing, ringing in head major increase, feels like it's all around me. like static.   head feels very thick, noise is distorted and tinny sounding. 
feeling just far away from my surroundings/disconnected. brain fog?  trouble concentrating bc it's so bad.   ear pain and fullness.   rumbling in my head, like a fan running.
- anxiety due to symptoms.  they are scary.
-fatigue 
- head spins
- internal shakiness/vibration in body and brain
2:00-  gabapentin 200 mg
felt better towards late afternoon, still fatigued .
4:00- gym - 30 min on elliptical.  ear pain towards end of workout. 
still feeling okay.  more clear headed. 
5:30- dinner
some times of ear ringing.  still feeling ok overall.  not too much sensitivity to noise or
buzzing/zinging. 
8:30- gabapentin 200 mg
started to fall asleep on couch.  relaxed..
9:30- seroquel 25 mg
10- bed. 
ringing in ears quite loud when going to sleep,  as usual. 

4/3
5:00- awoke but played in bed till 5:45
- once again had bouts of throat sensation when swallowing.
6:00- breakfast
6:30 - gabapentin 200 mg.
- 7:30 - at work
- ringing/hissing/buzzing from head and ears is loud.  very distracting.  makes me anxious and hopeless that I'll always be dealing with it. 
9:30-  feeling  better,  but a bit of head pressure and rumbling in one ear
11:00- 25 mg luvox
11:30- ringing is bad, sounds like whole room is filled up with it.  causing me distraction.
feeling again of being far away from my surroundings, out of it, not part of what is going on.   pretty much same  as yesterday at this time. 
2:00- gabapentin 200 mg
4:00- gym - 30 minute circuit
5:30- dinner
- bad reflux
- cannot recall now rest of evening, but I know I was suffering with the ear ringing, etc. 
8:00- did a 30 minute meditation for tinnitis- noticed strange feeling in my head, like a generator or a heartbeat in my head. feels like my brain is loose and a vibration type feeling thru my body
9:00- gabapentin 200 mg
seroquel 25 mg

4/4
2:30 am- woke and could not fall back asleep. lots of anxiety and strange feeling throughout body
5:15- out of bed. 
felt pretty good for lack of sleep. 
6:15- breakfast
       - gabapentin 200 mg
pretty good for morning.  clear headed.  but a bit of a head pressure and ache (as usual)
12- lunch
    -luvox 25 mg
1:00- starting to feel worse.  ears ringing way more, buzzing and foggyness, feeling disconnected from surroundings, same as previous days.   bad head pain, feels like someone is squeezing it, and the vibrating sensation.  increase in throat sensation.
2:00- gabapentin 200 mg
3:30- headache.  ringing is much lower.  pressure still there somewhat. 
5:00- dinner
8:00- gabapentin 200 mg
9:30- seroquel 25 mg

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Shep

Thanks, BfromNJ.

 

Your journal is very helpful.

 

42 minutes ago, BfromNJ said:

4/2

 

11:00- 25 mg fluvoxamine (luvox)
12:30-  feeling of being off balance, dizzy, disconnected.   zinging/buzzing, ringing in head major increase, feels like it's all around me. like static.   head feels very thick, noise is distorted and tinny sounding. 

 

42 minutes ago, BfromNJ said:

4/3

 

11:00- 25 mg luvox
11:30- ringing is bad, sounds like whole room is filled up with it.  causing me distraction.
feeling again of being far away from my surroundings, out of it, not part of what is going on.   pretty much same  as yesterday at this time. 

 

43 minutes ago, BfromNJ said:

12- lunch -luvox 25 mg
1:00- starting to feel worse.  ears ringing way more, buzzing and foggyness, feeling disconnected from surroundings, same as previous days.   bad head pain, feels like someone is squeezing it, and the vibrating sensation.  increase in throat sensation.

 

You are dealing with mirtazapine withdrawal, which is what landed your in the hospital last month and you're now on this cocktail of drugs. But it looks like you're having an adverse reaction to Luvox - you take it around 11 or 12 every day and about an hour later, you're feeling disconnected, among other symptoms. 

 

The feeling of being "disconnected from surroundings" is depersonalizaton / derealization:

 

Derealization or depersonalization (DP/DR)

 

This is a very common side effect and withdrawal effect from these drugs. 

 

From what you've posted (including what is in your signature), it sounds like you've had adverse reactions to not only Luvox, but also Prozac, Lexapro, and Cymbalta.

 

Do you feel this is true? 

 

I'm going to re-post Alto's earlier post:

 

On 3/20/2019 at 11:14 PM, Altostrata said:

 

Yes, Luvox would go first, as you want to maintain sleep with the other drugs (if they help sleep). Since you've been on it for more than a month, you are at risk for withdrawal symptoms. As it's been only 35 days, you might try a 25% reduction to start, but you'll have to put it up right away if you get withdrawal symptoms.

 

Read Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

 

 

It's now been 51 days, but if you feel this is an adverse reaction, you might want to go ahead with the 25% reduction. With adverse reactions, you may be better off with a more rapid reduction.

 

However, as Alto pointed out, you'll have to go up right away should there be problems. 

 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:52 AM, BfromNJ said:

 I have a hormonal issue to deal with  and had I done it first, I may not even be in this situation. 

 

Is the hormonal issue resolved now or do you think it may be causing problems? Are you adding in additional medications for this? 

 

Please post your thoughts on doing a 25% reduction. If this feels too rapid, you could, of course, do the usual recommended 10% monthly reduction until you see how you feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
15 minutes ago, Shep said:

Thanks, BfromNJ.

 

Your journal is very helpful.

 

 

 

 

You are dealing with mirtazapine withdrawal, which is what landed your in the hospital last month and you're now on this cocktail of drugs. But it looks like you're having an adverse reaction to Luvox - you take it around 11 or 12 every day and about an hour later, you're feeling disconnected, among other symptoms. 

 

The feeling of being "disconnected from surroundings" is depersonalizaton / derealization:

 

Derealization or depersonalization (DP/DR)

 

This is a very common side effect and withdrawal effect from these drugs. 

 

From what you've posted (including what is in your signature), it sounds like you've had adverse reactions to not only Luvox, but also Prozac, Lexapro, and Cymbalta.

 

Do you feel this is true? 

 

I'm going to re-post Alto's earlier post:

 

 

It's now been 51 days, but if you feel this is an adverse reaction, you might want to go ahead with the 25% reduction. With adverse reactions, you may be better off with a more rapid reduction.

 

However, as Alto pointed out, you'll have to go up right away should there be problems. 

 

 

Is the hormonal issue resolved now or do you think it may be causing problems? Are you adding in additional medications for this? 

 

Please post your thoughts on doing a 25% reduction. If this feels too rapid, you could, of course, do the usual recommended 10% monthly reduction until you see how you feel. 

Thank you. I would not be opposed to doing a 25% reduction, since it would get me off quicker if I can handle it.  or maybe in the middle somewhere?  And no, the hormonal issue is still there, as I have not added progerstone into the mix of meds right now. I do not want to throw it in there until.  And yes I do feel I  have had adverse reactions to the other meds as well.   If I go for the 25%, should I still do 30 days? 

Share this post


Link to post
Shep
4 minutes ago, BfromNJ said:

Thank you. I would not be opposed to doing a 25% reduction, since it would get me off quicker if I can handle it.  or maybe in the middle somewhere?  And no, the hormonal issue is still there, as I have not added progerstone into the mix of meds right now. I do not want to throw it in there until.  And yes I do feel I  have had adverse reactions to the other meds as well.   If I go for the 25%, should I still do 30 days? 

 

It's wise not to add in other meds while you are dealing with withdrawing from the psych drugs. However, keep in mind that withdrawal can effect hormones so do the best you can to cope. 

 

Yes, go ahead with 25%, or if you feel like trying 10% to see how you do, that will be fine, as well. Or as you say, somewhere in the middle. But I would go head and make a reduction. 

 

Please continue to post your drug and symptoms journal daily. 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
5 minutes ago, Shep said:

 

It's wise not to add in other meds while you are dealing with withdrawing from the psych drugs. However, keep in mind that withdrawal can effect hormones so do the best you can to cope. 

 

Yes, go ahead with 25%, or if you feel like trying 10% to see how you do, that will be fine, as well. Or as you say, somewhere in the middle. But I would go head and make a reduction. 

 

Please continue to post your drug and symptoms journal daily. 

should I still crush and measure with 25% or at first can I cut the pills, till its too small and I cant anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
1 hour ago, BfromNJ said:

should I still crush and measure with 25% or at first can I cut the pills, till its too small and I cant anymore?

also should I still go do a whole month at 25%?

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ

Figures Shep that today I didn't notice as much of a problem after taking the Luvox.  Its so weird how this stuff can change day to day.   As a matter of fact, I feel pretty okay.  but that is subject to change without notice. lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

I agree with Shep, it looks like an adverse reaction to Luvox (a weird choice of SSRI).

 

Let's also look at potential drug-drug interactions -- please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

 

Also, look up all your drugs on drugs.com and read about their side effects, etc. To be an informed consumer, you should do this for any drug you may take.

 

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
32 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I agree with Shep, it looks like an adverse reaction to Luvox (a weird choice of SSRI).

 

Let's also look at potential drug-drug interactions -- please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

 

Also, look up all your drugs on drugs.com and read about their side effects, etc. To be an informed consumer, you should do this for any drug you may take.

 

Yes I did this.  They all interact with each other.  althought what can I do about interactions until im off of them?    here it is:

 

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

gabapentin fluvoxaMINE

Applies to: gabapentin, Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Using gabapentin together with fluvoxaMINE may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

gabapentin QUEtiapine

Applies to: gabapentin, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using gabapentin together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate

fluvoxaMINE QUEtiapine

Applies to: Luvox (fluvoxamine), Seroquel (quetiapine)

FluvoxaMINE may increase the blood levels of QUEtiapine. You may be more likely to experience side effects such as dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; constipation; increased appetite; weight gain; increased blood sugar and cholesterol or triglyceride levels; cognitive and motor impairment; involuntary muscle movements involving the face, tongue, or other parts of the body; difficulty swallowing; low blood pressure (especially at the start of treatment or after a dose increase); blood pressure increases (reported in children and teenagers); irregular heart rhythm; and seizures. Let your doctor know if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Looks like the Luvox is interacting with gabapentin and producing those symptoms after you take Luvox.

 

What is the gabapentin supposed to be doing for you?

Share this post


Link to post
BfromNJ
6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Looks like the Luvox is interacting with gabapentin and producing those symptoms after you take Luvox.

 

What is the gabapentin supposed to be doing for you?

that's why I was trying to space them apart.   the gabapentin is for anxiety.  so the luvox should still be tapered first right? 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...