zolo89: trying to get off psych meds because of sleep / bad short term memory

zolo89

11 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How did you feel after you made this change?

Are you taking 2mg Haldol tablets now? Look at the package, are they extended-release? How many tablets do you have left?

Did you discuss tapering Haldol with your doctor?

When I last met the doctor it was 15 minutes and we didn't have time to talk about tapering. The doctor took me off of haldol for my night dose and I don't take my morning dose so that means I'm off it period. I haven't been having any different feelings after stopping it. I don't know what other med the doctor will reduce / get me off of. Thanks.

These are the meds I've been taking I've at least been taking them for 2 or 3 years (2015 to 2017).

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Clozaril 100mg (two of  these)
Docusate Sodium 100mg (twice daily)
Lisinopril 10mg
Metformin 1000mg (twice daily)
Insulin 25 units once daily
Glipizide 5mg (twice daily)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zolo89

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Carmie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
4 hours ago, zolo89 said:

Are you taking 2mg Haldol tablets now? Look at the package, are they extended-release? How many tablets do you have left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of the 2mg left. My doctor's said that the clozaril is important to take. The doctor doesn't want me to get off of it. I'm going to ask the doctor at the next meeting if I can reduce the clozaril.

Thanks.

These are the meds I've been taking I've at least been taking them for 2 or 3 years (2015 to 2017).

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I made a thread earlier this year that I was partially off of Clozaril. For some reason lately especially the middle / end of this week I've been having major anxiety / dissociative thoughts / major depression. I'm afraid that if I go to a hospital I will by forced to take extra meds. It's almost been two years since I relapsed as of summer 2020. My doctor no matter how much I tell them (the doctor) will not take me off of the Clozaril. This is also because of stress from school / taking a remedial math class (Algebra 1 at a community college) for the third time. I want to do electrical engineering as a major.

Any advice?

Thanks.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Zolo, exactly what are you taking now, at what times of day? Have you accidentally missed any doses of any drug lately?

How long did you have this spell of major anxiety / dissociative thoughts / major depression? How often?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, Altostrata said:

Zolo, exactly what are you taking now, at what times of day? Have you accidentally missed any doses of any drug lately?

How long did you have this spell of major anxiety / dissociative thoughts / major depression? How often?

I've probably had the anxiety / dissociative thoughts and major depression since late October to early November of this year. It's (especially the second and third) so bad I can't focus on homework for a class at my local community college. I'm still taking the Clozaril at one pill at night. I have so many bottles at least up to six months supply that I almost can't fit them in my med box. I have a meeting with my doctor next week and don't have the guts to tell them that I want to get off of the meds (especially the clozaril) completely. This doctor in my opinion is hesitant to get me off of the meds completely because they push that they're good for me. I need resources to help me get off of the meds with the aid of a state funded doctor that my insurance will pay for. I will try telling my doctor that I want to get off of them completely (which the doctor will probably not be supportive of). You or anyone else can reply to this post or DM me. Thanks.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

• Administrator

zolo, exactly what are you taking now, at what times of day? Have you accidentally missed any doses of any drug lately?

We don't have a continuous record of your drug changes. It looked like you had a big reduction in Haldol in mid-July, but you said you felt okay in early August. What were your drug changes after mid-July? It's likely that a drug change caused your "anxiety / dissociative thoughts and major depression since late October to early November."

How did these symptoms change from early November to the present?

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs. Because you have a record of being hospitalized, a primary care physician may be reluctant to take the responsibility. if you can't find a psychiatrist who will help, it is possible that if you want to minimize your drugs, you'll have to do it yourself. It seems like you're still taking a lot of drugs, even if it is to quell suicidal thoughts.

Did you ever discuss the drug-drug interactions with your psychiatrist?  You need to do this, you can't wait for them to think of it.

I'm still taking the clozaril one pill daily and am still taking the propranolol. I've stopped taking the haldol and lisinopril  completely but still have some bottles of the haldol and have stopped taking the isinopril because it made me too tired. I can try to print out the drug reactions from the earlier posts.  Can I also use a religious excuse to get the doctor to support me getting of the meds?

Thanks.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

zolo, exactly what are you taking now, at what times of day? Have you accidentally missed any doses of any drug lately?

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What were your drug changes after mid-July? It's likely that a drug change caused your "anxiety / dissociative thoughts and major depression since late October to early November."

Please try to answer my questions so I don't have to ask them again.

I have no idea how your doctor will react to "a religious excuse." If your doctor doesn't support you now, my guess is it won't make any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 2:18 PM, Altostrata said:

We don't have a continuous record of your drug changes. It looked like you had a big reduction in Haldol in mid-July, but you said you felt okay in early August. What were your drug changes after mid-July? It's likely that a drug change caused your "anxiety / dissociative thoughts and major depression since late October to early November."

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs. Because you have a record of being hospitalized, a primary care physician may be reluctant to take the responsibility. if you can't find a psychiatrist who will help, it is possible that if you want to minimize your drugs, you'll have to do it yourself. It seems like you're still taking a lot of drugs, even if it is to quell suicidal thoughts.

Did you ever discuss the drug-drug interactions with your psychiatrist?  You need to do this, you can't wait for them to think of it.

I'm still taking everything except the Amantidine and the Haldol (unofficially) (I'm not 100% sure on the Amantidine). I also am not taking the Lisinopril unofficially because it makes me too tired. I've also still had the major depressive thoughts along with the anxiety. I've also noticed that forgetting basic names of things (along with short term memory) has increased lately along with not being able to focus on studying. I have a meeting with the doctor tomorrow and don't know how to tell them I want to get off of the med. I will most likely have to wait until I can get / afford a holistic psychiatrist.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

• Administrator

Please make it easy for me and list your drug schedule, with time of day you take the drug and the dosage.

It is possible the drugs are causing your symptoms, including the anxiety. Fuzzy brain is a common side effect.

Do you get anxiety at any particular time of day? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Be realistic in your expectations: It is unlikely your doctor will recognize adverse effects or have any idea how to titrate you down to lowest effective dosage.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Please make it easy for me and list your drug schedule, with time of day you take the drug and the dosage.

It is possible the drugs are causing your symptoms, including the anxiety. Fuzzy brain is a common side effect.

Do you get anxiety at any particular time of day? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. You can post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Be realistic in your expectations: It is unlikely your doctor will recognize adverse effects or have any idea how to titrate you down to lowest effective dosage.

Is it okay to type them up instead? The only reason I'm asking is that I would have to scan hand written notes. Thanks.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

• Administrator

Use this simple list format. Don't need all details.

This is the page I wrote on the first of this year. I wrote it instead because it was easier than typing. Any questions just DM me or reply.

Thanks.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg

Document_1-min.thumb.jpg.b8a6d518248d91b26ef9a1484a5e5e2d.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, zolo89 said:

This is the page I wrote on the first of this year. I wrote it instead because it was easier than typing. Any questions just DM me or reply.

Thanks.

propranolol 20mg
Amantadine 100mg
Lisinopril 10mg