SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Foxlink: introduction

Foxlink

Hello everyone!

On February 1st of 2019 I began taking Lexapro 5mg which was prescribed to me by my doctor to help treat my anxiety which was causing chest pain.

From my start date to February 5, 2019 I have experienced an abundance of horrible side effects which has taken a severe toll on me emotionally and mentally. I felt like I was going insane and losing touch with reality. I didn't know if I'll improve and I felt alone. I was not myself and was in a very scary place. I called my doctor and informed him of my well-being and he suggested that I discontinue my medication immediately.

It has been around 90 hours since my last dosage and the whole process has been rather hard. Luckily I have a great support system of friends and family who are helping me get through all of this.

Looking online for others who have experienced the same symptoms as me and there stories of quitting has resulted in very few results. Finding this community has made me happy knowing that I am not alone and that we are all on a journey together.

February 1, 2019 - February 5, 2019: Lexapro 5mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Foxlink: introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foxlink and welcome to SA,

It's really good that you only took the drug for such a short time and that the doctor told you to stop taking it.  You have had an adverse reaction to it.  I suggest that you do not take it again and if it was me, I would not ever take another psychiatric drug.  In the future, if you are prescribed any drugs, please do your research before taking them.  That also applies to supplements (St John's Wort and the like).  As an example, bupropion, sold under the brand names Wellbutrin and Zyban among others, is a medication primarily used as an antidepressant and smoking cessation aid.  It's not something that a person wanting to quit smoking might realise.

It's unfortunate that you have had this experience, however it could have been much worse because many doctors would tell you that it is a start up effect and tell you to stay on it, and possibly increase the dose and/or add another drug.

Please see this post:  But I only took it for a Week.  You might find it helpful to read the other posts in that topic too.

Q:  Have you been noticing any improvements? 

Recovery isn't linear, it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern.  It's going to take time for you to recover and you will need to be patient and remain as calm and stress free as possible and not panic.  When we panic we can make bad decisions.  I will post additional helpful tips in the next post.

I would also suggest that you don't drink alcohol and caffeine.  Please also be aware that you might find that you are sensitive to things, eg B vitamins can be activating, especially B6.  We have lots of existing topics on this site.  I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

The only supplements which SA recommends are  Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil .  If you do decide to try them, only take a small amount, one at a time.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

You might also find that your symptoms increase during your monthly cycle.

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

Please keep us updated on your situation to let us know how you are.

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Edited by ChessieCat
"deleted" irrelevant information

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of varying intensity.  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through discomfort and tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Hello @ChessieCat!

Thank you for replying! I appreciate the responses.

As for your question, I do believe I have improved slowly since I have taken the medication. I can only hope to improve and not get worse but we will have to see. I hope my recovery is fast and I do not experience withdrawal as my doctor said that it has been a low dosage and it hasn't had time to build up in my system to cause any problems so I can simply quit cold turkey but again we will have to see.

Also yes I plan on staying away from these types of medications forever. I cannot believe the hell I have been through simply because I wanted to fix my chest pains due to my anxiety. Of course, nobody could have known how I reacted to it beforehand. I'm glad my doctor was understanding of how I felt and is working with me. I will certainly do my research on all things I put in my body from now on.

Also I have been avoiding caffeine and alcohol for quite a long while so that shouldn't be an issue. I've been trying to stay well hydrated and eat despite my loss of appetite. Luckily I've also been getting good sleep despite not being able to when I first took my medication but now I sleep very easily. 

• Moderator Emeritus

That's really good news that you have noticed improvement since stopping the drug.  You are going to need to treat yourself very gently for quite some time, even if you start feeling that you are nearly recovered.  Additional stress on the nervous system can cause the symptoms to ramp up.  Even good stress / excitement.  Overdoing exercise, not keeping a regular sleep routine and getting enough sleep.

This is information from what has been learned from other people's experiences.  The frustrating thing is that it can be a slow process and there can be bumps along the way.  And it doesn't help that we aren't able to see what is happening in the brain to know how far we have recovered, it is only by the symptoms we get that we can gauge the state of our nervous system.

Our natural inclination is to want to do something.  The thing you need to do is to give it time.  It may feel like you aren't doing anything but think of it as giving the brain the time it needs to recover, which in actual fact is doing something.

We would appreciate it if you could continue to let us know how your recovery is going.  The members' experiences become a case study and we have medical professionals who visit SA.

On 5/15/2011 at 5:22 AM, Altostrata said:

MISSION OF SURVIVINGANTIDEPRESSANTS.ORG

Surviving Antidepressants is a site for peer support, documentation, and education of withdrawal symptoms and withdrawal syndrome caused by psychiatric drugs, specifically antidepressants.

The participants on this site have all experienced or are experiencing difficulty in withdrawal from psychiatric medications. We offer peer support to those who are similarly suffering, drawing from our personal experiences.

(No posting on this site should be construed as medical advice. For medical advice, consult a trusted medical caregiver.)

The personal stories on this site are documentation of an iatrogenic condition -- suffering caused by medical treatment -- that is almost always ignored, misdiagnosed, or denied by the medical establishment. Given the widespread prescription of antidepressants to tens of millions of people worldwide, withdrawal syndrome probably affects hundreds of thousands if not millions -- including newborns and children.

Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome can last weeks, months, or years. It can be distressing, debilitating, or even disabling. It may be adding to an increase in what is termed disabling mental illness.

With our documentation of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, we hope to educate the medical establishment about this problem. Case studies are essential; they are evidence understood by doctors, the psychiatric industry, and government regulatory agencies.

Our hope is, eventually, antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs will be prescribed rarely, and only in cases of extremely severe mental illness after less invasive treatments have been tried.

Please join Surviving Antidepressants in its mission to support, document, and educate about psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome.

Indeed, I have certainly been taking it easy since dropping my medication. It's been hard considering I have college classes which I must continue despite some symptoms making it rather hard. The symptoms I have experienced while taking the medication includes,

- Disassociation
- Dizziness
- Concentration Problems
- Blunted Emotions
- Altered Taste
- Reduced Sensation in body
- Difficulty getting an erection
- Uninterested in sex due to low libido
- Blurry Vision
- Brain Fog/Empty Mind
- Memory Problems (Most likely due to brain fog and inability to concentrate)
- Vision Problems
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Nausea
- Confusion
- Insomnia
- Extreme fear and anxiety

Possibly some more I'm forgetting to mention but as you can see... the list is quite long.

Some of these symptoms have improved or remained the same. Emotionally I have improved quite a lot in comparison to being on these meds. However things like reduced sensation, sexual problems, altered taste, concentration problems, confusion, brain fog, and dizziness are still quite a issue but I feel like I have certainly been improving very slightly compared to being on medication. It feels as if everyday I am improving very slightly, that or I'm just getting used to my symptoms.

While my experiences are terrible I'm glad that my friends and family were here to comfort and care for me. I will gladly keep everyone up to date on how I am doing. 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, Foxlink said:

It feels as if everyday I am improving very slightly

That's good to hear.  However, please be aware that a symptom might worsen or a new one arise.  As annoying and frustrating as that is, it is a normal part of the recovery.

It's good that you have family and friends who understand.

Yes, I am aware, I'm just naturally blindly optimistic no matter what 😅. Even when all odds are against me, I always try to see the light even when I'm surrounded by darkness 😁.

I understand that other symptoms could appear or current ones could worsen. I know that this healing process could take a long time and I'm prepared for that.

All this is just new to me and kind of scary I guess. I'm glad that I have a community of individuals who can relate, assist me, and provide support. I'm trying to relax and remain stress free along with surrounding myself with positive vibes.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would strongly encourage you not to read the Introduction topics of members on SA, because they can be very depressing and triggering.

Instead, if you want to do some reading, check out:  Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Adverse Reaction to a Medication or Drug - Verywell Health

Sep 24, 2018 - An adverse reaction is an unwanted or unexpected negative reaction to a medication or treatment that is used in an approved manner.

Ah, I see, thank you. I was confused with the difference between withdrawal and adverse reaction.

My doctor informs me that with such a low dosage and time frame that the drug has not had a sufficient amount of time to build up in my system therefore I shouldn't go through withdrawal. Is that true to an extent?

Next begs the question of, if these adverse reactions are due to my medication, would ceasing medication help reverse adverse reactions considering that adverse reaction and withdrawal are two different things?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm quite new to learning all of this information and I'm rather curious.

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you read this?  But I only took it for a Week.

Yes, I did, along with some of the other topics but I'm confused. Am I going through withdrawal now or are all these just adverse reactions from my medication and I will go through withdrawal at a later point? From what I've read it seems to be a few weeks before hitting withdrawal. I'm sorry, this is all just a bit confusing for me. Information on many medical sites and other forums all range in information so it seems there isn't a definite answer and it's all dependent on each individual experience. Am I currently going through withdrawal?

Again I am so sorry for all the confusion and questions. I'm new to all of this and I'm still learning about what's happening with my mind and body.

It's also hard to find people with situations similar to mine, which is why I'm posting on this forum. I found some people in similar situations regarding stopping Lexapro after a few days of use but there paper trail ends too soon for me to figure out how things went or anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can understand how confusing it is for you.

An adverse reaction is different to withdrawal.  However, the symptoms you get can be the same, because the brain is in chaos and trying to regain homeostasis.

It takes about 4 days for a dose of a psychiatric drug to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  Generally after about 1 month the brain has fully adapted to getting the drug.  After 1 month a person might be able to do a quick taper, but if they get withdrawal symptoms they will need to go a bit slower.  After several months on a drug then they are more likely to need to taper the drug slowly.  SA recommends tapering by reducing no more than 10% of the current dose and holding on that dose for about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  If too much or all of the drug is taken away then the person might experience bad withdrawal symptoms.  It isn't unusual to experience mild withdrawal symptoms after making a reduction.  Some people can taper faster than 10% but there are other people who have to go slower.  The 10% reduction is a harm reduction method which suits most people.  There is no way to know who can go faster or who has to go slower.  The person has to listen to their body and the level of the symptoms to work out what is best for them to do.

When a person starts an antidepressant for the first time they can experience start up symptoms which, as the brain adjusts to getting the drug, the symptoms reduce.

In your case you took the drug and the brain wasn't able to adjust to it and it went haywire.  Yes, a very unscientific term, but I think it's applicable.  It was trying to make all the adjustments that it needed to when it got the drug and it wasn't able to do everything that it needed to do and it has had to just do what it can do, at this time.  Over time, it will gradually adapt and things will improve more and more.

Because you took the drug for 5 days, some of the symptoms may be withdrawal symptoms, but because you are also recovering from an adverse reaction, and the symptoms are the same, it's impossible to know what is what.  For a person not having a bad reaction, and they had reduced too much then if the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable they can make a small increase in their dose, or hold for longer before making another reduction.

Nobody knows how long your symptoms will last, or how severe they will be.  It is an unanswerable question.

I've had two completely different experiences of withdrawal from drugs.  Relating these might help you understand how the brain and nervous system can respond.

I CTed citalopram and felt great for a few months then got hit with the withdrawal flu and was bedridden for 2.5 weeks and lost 8kgs because I couldn't eat.  It wasn't until I joined SA that I made the connection that it was withdrawal.  My counsellor didn't know about withdrawal and I ended up on Pristiq.

I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg, and for several days I had an upset stomach, which I put down to a stomach bug but now believe it was a withdrawal symptom and for 2 weeks I experienced severe cog fog, and even walking took my whole concentration.  I joined SA but didn't updose as suggested because I was trying, through the brain fog, to learn about what was happening.  A couple of days after joining I got to the stage that I was unable to type.  Having been a typist for 40+ years I knew that something was really wrong.  I was very thankful for SA's suggestion.  I went and took extra Pristiq.  Astoundingly after only about 4 hours I was able to type again and the brain fog was lifting.  Because I had a benchmark I knew that it was because of the drug.

You might find this topic helpful:  again-chemical-imbalance-is-a-myth-stop-the-lies-please

And I found this:  http://breggin.com/antidepressant-drugs-resources/Spiget-1999-adverse-reactions-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors.pdf

We have other members here who have had an adverse reaction.

This member appears to have only taken 1 tablet:  chasingrainbows-adverse-reaction-to-1-dose-of-celexa-citalopram-hydrobromide

I've just done a google search and found these, but I haven't read their Introduction topics.

3birdsandrobin-adverse-reaction

crhawk-severe-adverse-reactions-to-only-one-50-mg-zoloft-three-months-later

quirkdiggler-ssri-adverse-reaction-upon-few-days-dose

oskcajga-partial-recovery-ssrisnri-withdrawal-and-adverse-reaction

Thank you for your response, I found much of that to be rather helpful and cleared up a lot of confusion.

Also, was the decision made by me and my doctor to simply stop cold turkey instead of tapering a smart one?

My doctor's says that I shouldn't have any problems with withdrawal but I am quite nervous about what I might be experiencing in a few months. I know I had an adverse reaction but it seems that those who cold turkey creates really bad withdrawal experiences and prolongs the healing process.

I guess I'm just worried about the future. I'm definitely trying to enjoy the moment but I'm working to mentally prepare myself for the possible hard healing process that the future might hold for me. 

Of course, I will keep everyone updated on my progress as time continues. It's been 4 days, 18 hours, and 59 minutes since my last dosage. I feel improved everyday but I will keep everyone posted if anything seems to come up, which I'm sure it will.

I hope everyone is having a good day, let's all remain strong and get through this journey together! 😁 Who knows what amazing things the future holds for us! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I think stopping cold turkey was the best thing to do.  Because you stopped so soon after commencing the drug, hopefully the fall out from taking it will resolve fairly quickly.  But unfortunately we just don't know.  As Altostrata (this sites founder) says, we are all an experiment were N=1.

I can understand that you are feeling stressed and confused and worried about what may happen in the future.  And that is normal and to be expected.  However, the good thing is that you have the information about how to take care of yourself and can now be aware that if you notice a symptom in the future you have the knowledge that it may be due to the adverse reaction and not think that you have some other medical issue.  But if you get a symptom which doesn't resolve itself it is a good idea to get checked out in case it isn't related to the adverse reaction.

It is good to be aware that there are a wide range of different symptoms that are possible, physical and mental.  My suggestion, if a symptom arises, would be to do a search of this site to see if other members have mentioned it.  I like to use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

Members who are tapering also go through a similar thing to you in that we have symptoms pop up and we wonder what it is.  I find the best thing to do is to take note of it but not focus on it and think ah that may be a withdrawal symptom (for me - for you it would be from adverse reaction).  I also try to think about what else I might have been doing/not doing or eaten etc which might have caused/contributed to it.

There is a fine line between being alert and being obsessed.

I strongly suggest that you to learn ways to cope with your anxiety issues with non drug methods.  Dr Claire Weekes was a doctor who suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways to cope.  I've provided the link previously.

Yes, I'm actually in the process of meeting a psychiatrist at the school to talk with and help me with my emotional problems and situation. I figured it could help me and it's free so why not utilize all the resources I can get.

Anyways, it's been 5 days, 16 hours, and 48 minutes since my last dosage. My symptoms seemed to have also improved slightly since last time I posted. I feel much better than when I originally started and then stopped my medication. Of course, it is still too soon to jump to conclusions but I simply wanted to update everyone on what's been going on.

Emotionally I have my ups and downs but that has a lot to do with how I'm handling the symptoms and my situation. Compared to when I first started and then quit my medication I seemed to have a firm grasp on my emotions. I'm still going to see a psychiatrist as if my mood does go back down drastically, I am able to help myself better.

As for school, most of my instructors are all willing to work with me regarding my deadlines to assignments which is wonderful. As my brain fog and inability to focus and concentrate made it frustrating to accomplish assignments. Those symptoms have gotten slightly better as well but they are still very bad.

I've been taking it very easy, focusing on staying hydrated, eating right, and getting lots of rest. My disassociation has somewhat subsided now but it could return at any point. One of my big problems is the dizziness and recently I have become more nauseous than usual.

I will be seeing my doctor the first of next month for a check-up on how I'm doing. I also have been keeping him updated through email as well on my well-being. 

It has been 6 days, 5 hours, and 26 minutes since my last dosage. My doctor called today and found it odd I was still experiencing some side effects since the drug should be out of my system. He wants me to come in just to investigate further to see if it's anything else apparently.

Today I had a click in my head, it was rather odd and I was suddenly feeling like myself again. Although that crashed in the afternoon for a little because of my anxiety (which I had caused) but bounced back up to feeling normal again.

As we speak I feel pretty normal besides lack of sensitivity to body, altered taste, difficulty getting an erection and Uninterested in sex due to low libido. Other symptoms have improved slightly such as foggy mind, concentration, and focusing but they are still not normal. I still have dulled emotions but it is not as emotionless as before. My lightheadedness and dizziness has also improved quite a lot but still there.

Anyways, that's about all I can say. I am prepared for this long journey ahead. Super nervous and I hope to get better 😁!

Does anyone have any advice for someone like me in my situation? I always like reading responses 😋

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foxlink,

I also wanted to welcome you to SA.

I see you’ve had an adverse reaction to 5mg of Lexapro. I’ve been taking circa 5mg of Escitalopram (generic of Lexapro) for around 3.5 months now and have also had an adverse reaction to the drug, although admittedly not as severe as yours.

As Chessie said, it’s really good your doctor picked up on the adverse reaction so quickly and told you to stop taking the drug. So many doctors will insist on you continuing the drug because ‘things get worse before they get better’. Although this may hold some truth (many people anecdotally report mild to moderate start-up effects which fade over time), there are also individuals who seem to react very badly to psychiatric medications and are likely better off stopping them before their brains and nervous systems become dependent on the drug. 

It sounds like you are already experiencing the ‘windows and waves’ type pattern of symptoms, which Chessie mentioned above. I’m afraid you may need to adjust to this. Admittedly it can be frustrating to have such ‘ups and downs’, but it’s a normal pattern of healing. If you can try to accept the more difficult times and see them as an essential step in your recovery, you will hopefully find you’re more resilient and are able to get through the bad times with less resistance and self-doubt.

Chessie has provided you with some fantastic resources above. You may find the non drug coping techniques helpful in managing your symptoms and calming your system. Practising these techniques regularly tends to have a cumulative effect and we can become more resilient as time goes on, so we are better prepared in the harder times (this is true for life in general and not just for adverse drug reactions). Of course they can also help during acute symptom flare-ups, but I certainly believe in the saying ‘prevention is better than cure’. 

In the post above, you noted your doctor is confused by your current symptoms, as the drug would now be out of your system. I can understand your doctor’s logic, as it would make sense to assume that if the drug is causing the bad reaction, simply removing it would then allow you to quickly go back to how you felt previously, as your blood levels of the drug reach 0.

It is absolutely not my intention to scare you, but based on members’ experiences here, this is not always the case. Once the nervous system becomes destabilised, many people find it takes quite some time for things to settle back down. Although it may be important to remove the drug causing the adverse reaction to start healing, it’s not uncommon for it to take a much longer period to find stability in your symptoms. Over time they will become less intense and less frequent, before you reach a state where you feel recovered. 

I like to use to this metaphor. If you put your hand into a fire, you will absolutely need to remove your hand from the fire before you can recover from the burns. However, removing your hand from the fire alone is not going to heal the burns that it caused. It may take a prolonged period of time to heal, with lots of soothing self care and avoidance of anything damaging to the skin. Many people who have experienced adverse reactions here, find this to be a more realistic prognosis, than that of your doctor.

It’s likely your doctor is unaware

of how long recovery can take, so they may wish to do further tests or even prescribe new drugs. By all means do any tests as you see fit, to rule out any serious conditions, but you are likely sensitive to these types of medications and any new drugs could make things much worse. Unfortunately, we have seen this happen to other members here. 

Based on your latest post, you seem to be coping well. Despite our expectation management above, it may well be the case that you heal from this quickly. It’s certainly not unheard of, but here we try to provide an honest and realistic view of what often happens to those in your situation, even if it can be a bitter pill to swallow. 

My best suggestions would be:

1) Stay optimistic. Try not to be panicked or frustrated by symptom flare ups. 

2) Use non drug coping techniques like mindfulness, deep breathing, CBT. 

3) Try to limit external stressors as best you can. This includes toxic relationship, overworking or overstudying 

4) Respect your body and mind during this tough time. Try to be consistent with your sleep schedule. Eat balanced and healthy meals. Drink enough water. Take low intensity exercise. Avoid caffeine and alcohol etc. 

Best of luck! Please let us know how you get on. 

Edited by eymen23

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

Hello eymen23!! 

It's so nice to read your response and know that I am not alone in all of this.

My doctor doesn't suspect it is the drug and thinks I might be having a lot of mental problems. He did some tests and is doing blood work to see if everything is fine, if it does he wants me to see a neurologist and get an MRI done and other such mental treatments.

I find it ridiculous that he does not think that this drug has done this to me. I have not had any of my symptoms before this and I was not depressed or have bad anxiety before. Indeed I did have chest pains due to mild anxiety but the hell I went through was because of these meds.

Sadly, he has little faith in me and the idea that I had an adverse reaction to the drugs itself. Either way of course, he is trying to work with me to see what is wrong with me before jumping to conclusions which I can understand.

I feel much better today than I did a week ago, emotionally speaking. My dizziness has somewhat subsided but cognitive abilities and brain fog are still a challenge but I do not let it upset me as it could be worse. I am just thankful that I am not a mess like I was a few days ago.

I still have problems with numbness and lack of sensitivity. They drew my blood and I didn't feel pain at all. I'm usually very sensitive and can't stand looking at it but it didn't bother me at all. My tastes are stilled altered which is saddening as I do miss tasting the delicious cooking my mother makes. It seems like I am a little bit more sensitive in my groin area but it is still quite numb.

I am happy that none of my symptoms appear to be worsening.

Also thank you for the advice! I have been resting quite well and trying to stay well hydrated and eating right. I find listening to music to be quite calming and I enjoy talking with friends as well. It's hard sometimes since I don't feel like myself to a certain extent.

I've been handling all this quite well, accepting my situation and making the best out of it. After all I will get better and it's not the end of the world. I took a small dose, in a short time, and I'm 19 years old. I don't have much responsibility and can fully dedicate my time to healing and getting better if I have to. It feels like I'm getting better everyday but if things do get worse I shall keep you all updated!

Thank you all for the support and advice! It's great to know I am not alone and that I am not crazy! 😁

• Moderator Emeritus

It seems that you have a very philosophical attitude towards your situation, which is a good way to be.  I'm pleased to read that you are noticing improvements.

It's understandable that the doctor is having difficulties accepting this as an adverse reaction.  He is probably flummoxed by it of course wants to investigate all possibilities so he has evidence.  For him it is a process of elimination.

I became MSG intolerate and had to do food challenges.  I did everything but the MSG challenge and had no issues at all.  When I saw the specialist he said okay, now for the MSG challenge, and I said no.  He said don't you want to know for sure and I said I already know, I don't need to test it.  My reaction to MSG didn't happen until 6 hours after ingestion.  The food challenges I did in the hospital and stayed for 1 hour after.  I suspect very strongly that he wanted to see for himself.  I was very assertive and told him I wasn't going to do it.

Thank you ChessieCat, I am also very glad to see improvement as well but as you said before, I am prepared for symptoms to worsen or new ones to appear. Of course, I will not lie, I certainly grow happy whenever I feel improvement.

I seem to be in full control of my mood as of now. I still feel like my emotions are blunted but I am no longer in this crazy state of being hopeless and crazy one moment and optimistic and hopeful the next. I am simply accepting of my situation and making the best out of it.

It is futile to be in such a state of panic. It helps nobody, neither myself nor my brain or body. Causing such a state of panic only hurts me and I do not wish to hurt myself. I wish to heal and so I will do what I must to help my mind and body get there.

It has been a week since my last dosage and I certainly feel that I have improved. While still not normal by any standard. I am happy to see the progress my body and brain has made since starting in a short time. When I first started this journey, I was afraid of what was happening to me, I was mad, scared, sad, and discouraged. I felt like my world was falling apart and I was hopeless.

This site has helped give me an understanding of what is going on with my mind and body. It gave me hope and the feeling that I am not alone. It has made me realize that I cannot change the past, and I cannot magically change the present despite how much I wanted to. It allowed me to know what it is that I must do. That I must heal and make the best out of everyday. It made me realize that I should smile instead of be down that I am not well, because I could be in a worse shape than I am now. I realize that this experience has changed the way I look at life. How much I am looking forward to recovery and how I will live my life to the fullest, even now in this state, I will not let it bring me down.

Anyways, you are quite right about my doctor. I understand that he cannot jump to such conclusions without confirming that other factors such as my health are not involved. I appreciate that he is working with me to make sure that I am okay in terms of my health.

Also you became MSG intolerant because of antidepressants? Also that's good that you were quite assertive regarding such a situation. I myself am learning to be more assertive and take control of my situations and life. I must do what is in my best interest because nobody else can do it for me. Also what's a food challenge for?? I'm quite confused. To test for intolerance?

Also I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! I hope everyone's recovery is also going well but even if it's not remember it will get better and most importantly, don't ever forget...

"Whether it rains or the sun shines. You are an amazing, unique human that cannot be defined. From the day your mother gave birth. You are cared for and meant to be on this Earth."

Have a wonderful morning / day / evening / night !

• Moderator Emeritus

What a wonderful post.  Please come back and read it if you start getting down about things.

I've posted about my intolerance here so as not to clutter your Intro topic.

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day today!

Thank you ChessieCat, I do often times find myself rereading it at times of slight doubt and it gives me the positivity I need.

I read your post about your intolerance to MSG ChessieCat. I found it rather interesting, it must be rather hard as MSG sometimes seems to be in everything these days. It seems like everything nowadays is becoming more and more processed and filled with MSG's and many other things. Anyways you don't have to worry about cluttering my intro topic. Indeed it is a place for me to updated and ask questions regarding my journey but in the end, you and everyone else who responds and communicates with me has now become an integral part of my recovery so don't worry because it is not clutter, it is a part of my story. This site and its community have helped me a lot. I am unsure of where I would be without the knowledge I know today about what is going on with my mind and body. Hearing from other people who know what it's like, people who are bound together through a journey we may not have wanted to go on but here we all are. Together, supporting one another till the end. We all come from different ages, ethnicities, nationalities, genders, sexual orientation, lifestyles, careers, etc. It's kind of amazing really, this community of people who are all supporting each other through this. I cannot wait to recover and write my success story. I cannot wait for everyone else to recover too and hear there success stories! We will all make it, we are all on our own journey but we walk a similar path.

Anyways, I thought I'd like to give everyone an update on my journey so far. I know I post every day but I do enjoy the little conversations and updates. In fact, its something I look forward to. I find the conversing of all of our healing and progress to be quite soothing to read. Today has been a pretty decent day actually. My mood is now fully under my control. Since changing my perspective on my situation I have been able to retain a very upbeat vibe. While I am in no means fully happy, I am happy that I woke up today, that I am better than I was a week ago. Am I recovered? No, but what is important is that I am still alive and I am still willing to keep fighting. To keep going and to allow my mind and body to recover.

My doctor called today and informed me that my blood work seemed quite alright except my calcium levels were quite high he said... at least I think that's what he said, lol. They want me to come in tomorrow to do more blood work apparently. They also have me scheduled to get an MRI at some point next week. They won't be using a contrast on me. Gosh, it's so expensive!!! I am unsure if I should go through with it if they end up saying that I'm completely normal to which my doctor is going to send me to a psychiatrist cause at that point he thinks that I just have lots of mental issues. I am not sure if I should go or not, I don't really want to hear that these meds did not do this to me and that I am ill and get prescribed more pills to take. Honestly, after this experience, I am completely done with all things that alter the brain in some way.

I have been having very strange dreams recently ever since starting my meds and even to this day. They are extremely and disturbingly vivid. I seem to be able to sink into other worlds as my mind relaxes and drifts into a subconscious state. They feel like they last for days sometimes. While very interesting and cool, I still do not enjoy them. I am often times surprised by how fast I will fall asleep.

Anyways, I still have problems but I am surviving and striving! I hope everyone is also having a wonderful day but if not remember that things will at some point get better. Remember that and hold onto it and never let go. Remember the windows and don't forget what we are all fighting for! Recovery!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while and I figured I should update everyone on my progress so far. Luckily I have only good news to report.

While I am still not fully recovered, I am happy to report that all my symptoms have been improving drastically. I no longer have depersonalization episodes and the dizziness, for the most part, has completely subsided. My cognitive functions have improved drastically to where I am now able to continue working on school assignments, of course, I am still not fully recovered cognitively but at least there is progress. Sensitivity has come back, I am now able to feel pain and other sensations. While it is not fully recovered, I am very excited to see the progress. Sexually, it appears I am improving as well but at a much slower rate than all of my other symptoms. My brain no longer feels as dead as before and I am able to finally think a little clearer than before.

So far I have not developed anything too severe or appear to be developing new symptoms. It would appear as if I am slowly improving every day in different ways. I am very excited to bring such good news to everyone!

Because of my recovery, I have canceled my MRI and have also canceled my future appointments and tests that my doctor requested as it seems like they are coming up with nothing and simply wasting my money on countless tests and retries that I simply cannot continue pouring money into.

My tech teachers are working with me to keep me in my classes and passing. They came up with a schedule for me to complete my late work for all their tech classes so that I can still pass which is wonderful of them to do for me.

It would appear as if life is slowly beginning to get back to normal, or at least normal enough for me to function and continue working forward.

As always, I will continue to keep everyone posted on my progress and how I am doing.

Hi Foxlink,

I have been reading your posts, and am thrilled you have recovered so nicely from your AD experience.  From someone who has been around the block a few times:

if you doctor suggests another AD or Benzo therapy, run for the hills.

Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg, Multi vit., Calcium, D3,  Magnesium, Fish Oil, Melatonin,  Ambien 3.3 mg 1 or 2X/mo.  Benadryl-seldom, .......2002 - eliminated alcohol

2002- Paxil - 20 mg (3 WD attempts: 2005, 2008, 2010)

2011 - 30 mg 

2018 - 40 mg- Sept to Nov} {Dec - 37.5}

Jan 2, 2019 - 35 mg

Jan 11 -  33.75 mg

Jan 28 - 32.5 mg

Feb 4 -  33.75 mg 

Mar 4 - 32 mg

Mar 30 - 30 mg

Hi Gracee,

I'm glad you enjoyed reading my posts! While I am not fully recovered, based on my progress I hope to be feeling 100% in a few months but I know recovery has its bumps and I am willing to wait it all out to get back to my former self.

Also yes! Thank you for the advice! I have noted that and will be avoiding any kind of medication like these and from now on will do my research and be more aware of what I'm putting in my body. I blindly trusted my doctor which I now realize was a mistake. How easily my doctor prescribed these medications and without proper warning of the risks along with how often he prescribes them to many of his patients and seeing what harm these can cause to many people, I have become very discouraged of the medical community. This was my first time ascertaining a doctor for my medical issues and I was severely let down. A doctor should be someone we trust to help us but mine sent me down a dark road unknowingly and when I sought answers I was simply told that I was mental, prescribed more medication (which I did not pick up or take), and was given multiple tests and appointments that cost lots of money and yielded little results.

This whole situation has been quite the learning experience and a big eye-opener.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Gracee said:

if you doctor suggests another AD or Benzo therapy, run for the hills.

Sans script (ie without the script).

I suggest that you make sure it is marked in your medical records that you had a bad reaction.  Steering clear of psychiatric drugs also applies to medical procedures.  You will need to ascertain beforehand, if possible, what drugs they intend to use and check to see if they are able to use something different if necessary.

EDITED to add:

surgery-and-anesthesia

dental-surgery-dental-medications-tooth-discoloration

Edited by ChessieCat

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foxlink, 

I’m sorry you had an adverse reaction to the medication, but I’m so glad you’re off it and are doing pretty well. I’m so glad to hear your symptoms are improving. Don’t be dismayed if they ramp up again in the future, we can go through windows and waves as our brain is healing. It may not happen though, everyone is different. 

Are you still having strange dreams? SkyStreamer on this site has been having terrible nightmares lately. The medications themselves can cause nightmares, as well as withdrawing from them. 

Yes, the situation concerning doctors is certainly an eye opener. I don’t trust them at all now. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I know it's been quite a while, in fact, it's been 44 days since my last dosage! Wow! Time sure does fly by pretty fast. I am still very happy to report only good news!

As of right now, I am feeling great, not fully recovered but pretty much back to my old self. I have a few lingering symptoms here and there that come and go but nothing debilitating or severe like I had previously felt. I am actually unsure of where I am in recovery in terms of percentage but all I can say is I am feeling good and pushing forward.

I finally got my school life back on track, I'm getting out quite often and spending a lot of time with friends. My friends and I have really started getting in D&D and I have also been picking up on reading, writing, and drawing. I'm starting to get back into video games and do not find myself sickened to the point I am bedridden. I can work on school assignments finally with ease. I have been lacking on the diet aspect of my recovery but so far that does not seem to be showing any negative results such as sensitivities or anything. I do focus a lot more on how I feel and listening to my body. I try to avoid things that clearly agitate me and my symptoms, such as my tinnitus which is usually easy to ignore and not notice but sometimes it can certainly ramp up for a bit.

I hope that in time these symptoms will clear up and I will be completely symptom-free. As of now I am already moving on from this whole experience and focusing on living life to the extent that I am able to during this recovery. I'm just adapting to my new situation and trying to live life to it's fullest, in fact, I sometimes forget I'm even in recovery from anti-depressants. I'm just so used to my symptoms and listening to my body along with reacting appropriately that it's kinda just instinct now. I strive to keep everyone updated as I know there are not many experiences like mine on this site, short-term usage, adverse reaction, and my age group. I am sure they will be others like me seeking out similar experiences and I hope that they can find my story and feel a little more comfortable and at ease with their strange situation.

Also for @ChessieCat , it is marked as discontinued and that I did not react well to it. I am unsure that is the same as marking it as specifically a "bad reaction". Also yes, I am quite cautious with any type of medication that will be given to me, the risk and I always check with SA to see any other information regarding AD reactions to other medications. I try to stay well informed and engaged with my health, medicine, and healthcare providers.

Also for @Carmie , yes I am prepared for symptoms to ramp up and will hopefully be able to react accordingly thanks to the wealth of information given by this site. I haven't really been having bad dreams as of lately, at least none that I remember. I don't really have bad dreams anymore besides one every so often but they aren't as vivid as they were originally. The first few weeks were horrible though, I had horrid vivid dreams almost every night! It made me dread going to sleep. Luckily that has subsided or at least appears to have. 

Anywho, if anyone has any questions or concerns regarding how I am, feel free to ask away! I am always happy to converse with everyone! I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foxlink, 

What a great update. I’m glad you’re feeling great and back to your old self. 

Thanks for updating, and wishing you the best on your continued recovery💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Foxlink,

I'm really pleased to read that you are doing so well and are looking after yourself.  Thank you for updating us.  It is very much appreciated.

May your recovery continue in the right direction.

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

It has been 120 days since my last dosage which is 4 months basically. I don't have much to say really. I'm doing better, I'm not fully recovered but I am well. Nothing too crazy or extreme and the problems that I do have I am able to handle for now. I just thought that maybe it would be nice to give an update considering the long time I have been away from the site.

I am certainly better, I have adapted to this new way of life and carved a path to recovery. My focus is simply on living my life, full recovery hasn't really been on my mind. I know I'll get there in the end so I'm just trying to be happy now and continue to live my life and take proper care of myself as needed. Sometimes we just have to stop worrying so much, to stop overthinking, after all it does us no good. In the end, it makes more sense to focus instead on the life in front of us and to handle what we know we can help with. To live it to the best of our ability and sure sometimes we will get overwhelmed, get symptoms, sometimes we will need to stop and take care of ourselves. Sometimes we will make mistakes but we learn and readapt. We continue to live on.

I'm not sure when I'll be back for another update. Maybe in a few months, definitely near the one year mark for sure. I'll probably update if anything major happens regarding recovery. I hope everyone else is doing well! 

I would say be mindful to not allow yourself to get to the condition when you had a lot of anxiety to begin with. I learnt my lesson from all of this. How we deal with problems and stress in our life plays a big factor and we may keep doing our bad habits until we are fatigued and stress to the point our body gives up. This is when we go to the doctor and they start handing out scripts for drugs like lexapro.

Its about prevention and learning good life skills and not continuing bad habits.. even things like being over worked, bad diet, not sleeping or having too many things going at once in our lives. 

I found my breaking point after many years of being able to push through many life situations where i should have simple walked away from. We live in a society that is very complicated and it can create anxiety and depression in us if we are not careful and mindful.

I guess what i am saying is prevention is the cure.

Lexapro

10mg 11/2018 -  4 weeks

20mg 12/2018 - 4 weeks

20mg - 0mg - 01/2019 - 02/2019  - taper 6 weeks - WD symptoms

10mg - 03/2019 - 6 week reinstate

03-04/2019 taper 10,7.5,5,2.5,0mg as instructed by dr.

0mg - 04-06/2019 - WD symptoms again.

accute symptom cleared follow by protracted symptoms still ongoing