Jump to content
Longroadhome

Longroadhome: think I may be tapering Seroxat / Paxil too fast

Recommended Posts

Longroadhome

No reason just continued this way 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Can you gradually move the early dose of pregabalin later in the day, by an hour each day? Perhaps take it at 10 a.m.? And take the evening dose at 10 p.m.?

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did take both medicines Friday morning just forgot to write it in. 

There is no particular reason I take the pregabalin in the morning I’ve just got into the habit of taking it as soon as I get up so I will do as you advise and take it at 10am, going from 7am to 8am 9am then 10am over the next few days . 

I have forgot to take the evening dose of pregabalin on a few occasions but I will be consistent going forward . 

Caffeine is really no good for me since going through wd so I will be cutting it out completely. 

Share this post


Link to post
DeterminedAnna
On 3/16/2019 at 3:09 PM, Longroadhome said:

Hi Anna I know the site I’ve been on it and yes you are right it binds to more receptors on lower doses once you get down and think that’s why I hit severe symptoms when I reduced from 10mg to 7.5mg. Also when I came to increase I found that I’d actually been taking 7mg.  a mistake on my part due to incorrect measurement so that shook me even more . 

Ive ordered the syringes today so thank you for that information.

You are right with the survival list: supplements and caffeine  and good food choices and  analogy the whole lot !! 

It’s so kind of you to send me all the info Anna 

double hugs for you  we will do this !!! 

We are on one of the hardest ADs  to come off so it’s no wonder we are getting such unpleasant symptoms . This site has given us a wealth of information and is where our strength to go the distance will come from going forward. 

 

Ps what supplements do you take I’ve been taking magnesium and omega 3  but max strength so could be aggravating my symptoms. 

Pss. I’ve waited so long to be a grandparent. daughter always career minded and my son also. The best things in life are worth waiting for Anna and one day your parents will be blessed with another grandchild.  

 

Hi Longroadhome,

 

No time for a long reply today, but thank you all the same for your lovely message, including the double hugs.

 

I've been CONSISTENTLY taking only one supplement since January this year – 200mg of magnesium citrate every day, split into a morning and evening dose. However, I stopped that in the past few days because it might have be making my diarrhoea worse. (Diarrhoea has continued, so it's possibly nothing to do with magnesium).

I found out I was vitamin D deficient last Thursday (14 March) so since and including that day, I've been taking 2x 10μg of vitamin D3 per day.

 

I tried fish oils in the past – years ago now – but I found that made me feel wired. Could be a coincidence, I'm willing to try them again when I've got no more ripples from the past couple of month's big wave. (I think I'm having a ripple today, after a few days of feeling good).

You're right about the best things in life being the things you wait for. I'm one of four siblings and am the last to get married (it'll happen), met my partner relatively late, didn't move out of parents' home until I was 33 etc... By far the biggest thing for me will be to get off Seroxat.

 

Thank you again for the kind words and TRIPLE hugs to you x



 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Hi Anna 

thank you for your reply . Good idea about splitting the magnesium

up half morning and half evening think I’m going to do that ! 

I’m  also having A lovely wave today and yesterday I  think to do with a few glasses of wine on Saturday . Not a good idea and I won’t be repeating it. 

Ive done a few things wrong been careless like swapping over from tablet Paxil to liquid instead of making a slow change over . Also started taking supplements in strongest strength without bringing them into my diet slowly . 

Do you buy the vitamin 3D over the counter I bet being deficient won’t help your situation at the moment Anna. 

Bet your mum loved having you at home so long . My daughter lives just around the corner and I see her most days . My husband and I are seperated but still best friends. My son lives down the road and typical son I have to ring him else i wouldnt hear anything . Oh he does contact me of a Saturday to ask for pizza express voucher code from

my priority moments app !! 

I feel the same Anna about seroxat no matter what the only way is down and off no matter how long it takes. 

A big smile for you we’re on this journey together :) 

hope tomorrow finds your day a little easier cause nothing happens fast around here !!! 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat
1 hour ago, Longroadhome said:

Good idea about splitting the magnesium

up half morning and half evening think I’m going to do that ! 

 

It works better taken throughout the day.  I only take mine twice a day, but if I feel an increase in my anxiety I might take an extra one in the middle of the day.

 

If you are taking it for anxiety, then you might consider taking it 4 times a day, or dissolving it is water and sipping it.

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Thank you for the info ChessieCat what dosage and brand  do you recommend ?

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

They was quick ! Thank you 😊 

What Omrga 3 do you recommend ? 

Aldo I’m a little worried that I swapped over from tablets to liquid Paxil without doing it gradually will this matter and upset my system ? It’s the same brand 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

How long ago did you change from tablet to liquid.  You might notice some increased discomfort because of the difference in how the drug is administered.  It would be a good idea not to make any other changes until you know how the swap to liquid has affected you.

 

Mine are Swisse brand.  This is what Alto uses:

 

On 2/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, Altostrata said:

I get Trader Joe's or NOW Foods fish oil myself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Thank you for reply !

i changed from tablet to liquid on 7th jan when I cut my dose from 10mg to 7.5mg. Do you think it will have made much of a difference ? I’ve been reading Adili13 posts and he has withdrawal after tapering too fast same symptoms as me and he’s tapering from Paxil too so how will I know if it’s the drop in medicine or the change from tablet to liquid as both the drop and the liquid happened at the same time ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

We can't tell if it was the switch to liquid or the decrease in dosage. There are also the forgotten pregabalin doses.

 

20 hours ago, Longroadhome said:

I’m  also having A lovely wave today and yesterday I  think to do with a few glasses of wine on Saturday .

 

Wine could do it.

 

What exactly are these symptoms, and did they start before you had the wine?

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

We can't tell if it was the switch to liquid or the decrease in dosage. There are also the forgotten pregabalin doses.

 

 

Wine could do it.

 

What exactly are these symptoms, and did they start before you had the wine?

 

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

We can't tell if it was the switch to liquid or the decrease in dosage. There are also the forgotten pregabalin doses.

 

 

Wine could do it.

 

What exactly are these symptoms, and did they start before you had the wine?

Thank you for reply !

i changed from tablet to liquid on 7th jan when I cut my dose from 10mg to 7.5mg. Do you think it will have made much of a difference ? I’ve been reading Adili13 posts and he has withdrawal after tapering too fast same symptoms as me and he’s tapering from Paxil too so how will I know if it’s the drop in medicine or the change from tablet to liquid as both the drop and the liquid happened at the same time ? 

 

Should I stick to liquid Paxil and let it settle  as it doesn’t seem worth changing back what do others do?  Would the pregabalin cause persistent symptoms with a forgotten dose ?  

Regarding the wine 🍷 prior to Saturday I’d had a couple of better days where symptoms were there but I’d managed to put them in the background . After the night out and a glass or two of wine the next day my mood was low and this racked my symptoms up eg anxiety,  hopelessness crawling skin headache etc  the usual symptoms  but more intense . 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Seems like you reacted badly to the wine, doesn't it? Skipping pregabalin doses probably didn't help.

 

When you have a wave of symptoms, the trigger (if any) is more likely something you've done recently than January.

 

How old is your liquid?

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Thank you for your reply . The liquid is in date until 2020 . 

I agree about the wine no more for me . Also because I’m on a low dose of pregabalin I’ve decided I’ll stick with it for now and be consistent in taking it. 

I think the only thing I can do now is wait for stability and then continue my taper. 

The only thing that concerns me is I reached tolerance (poop out) last August and according to brassmonkey and his findings people that reach tolerance and are tapering cannot expect to be stable while tapering for about 18mths plus. If this is right when should I continue my taper? 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat
35 minutes ago, Longroadhome said:

The liquid is in date until 2020 .

 

That date is the unopened expiry date.

 

Once it is opened it will need to be disposed of after x months.  You might have to ask the pharmacist for "dispose after opening" time.

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

That’s interesting and I will ask that thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
DeterminedAnna
Posted (edited)

Hi Longroadhome

 

To answer your question about UK liquid Seroxat, which I'm sure we're both using:

12 hours ago, Longroadhome said:

Thank you for your reply . The liquid is in date until 2020 . 

I agree about the wine no more for me . Also because I’m on a low dose of pregabalin I’ve decided I’ll stick with it for now and be consistent in taking it. 

I think the only thing I can do now is wait for stability and then continue my taper. 

The only thing that concerns me is I reached tolerance (poop out) last August and according to brassmonkey and his findings people that reach tolerance and are tapering cannot expect to be stable while tapering for about 18mths plus. If this is right when should I continue my taper? 

 

 

Attached is a picture of my current bottle of Seroxat, which like your bottle, has an expiry of 05/2020.

 

But once it is opened, it should be disposed of after one month – as you can see in the picture on the right-hand side. Some people on this forum say actually that's being overly cautious and medicines last a lot longer, but it's a risk I'm not prepared to take. I've paid my taxes since I was 16 so I feel I've earned the right to waste my medicine. And there's something very satisfying about pouring Seroxat down the plughole.

 

To ensure I use a new bottle within a month, I start a new one every 28 days, which I consciously chose to be a Saturday so if needed and I had a busy week, I could collect my prescription on that day. As it goes, I more often collect the prescription on the Thursday before the Saturday.

 

My doctor's surgery has just gone online with prescription ordering, so I login to an online account on a thing called Systm Online, and request the prescription. To ensure I have the medicine ready, I request the prescription 10 days before the Saturday.

 

And I made an online calendar to remind myself of this:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=esrrq8h7tn0u765fchved602i4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe%2FLondon

(I'll delete this calendar in a week as I don't want it cluttering up my Google account).

 

...And as I use an Android (Google) smartphone, my calendar syncs with my phone and pops up with a notification in the run-up to days in question. So there's no escaping the fact I must order Seroxat and collect it at set times every month.

 

I'm sure you could do the same with an iPhone, or a paper calendar.

 

The other thing on the packaging says that the Seroxat should be stored below 25°C. Thinking that we might have another heatwave this year, I asked my pharmacist about this. He said not to put it in the fridge, but if it does get hot, to store it in the coolest, darkest place in the house. For me that's the cupboard under the stairs.

 

Also, on two occasions, my GP prescribed me two bottles of Seroxat when I only needed one, so I have two spare bottles of Seroxat that will expire 05/2020. I've left them unopened, in their original boxes, wrapped in a dark pair of socks. So between now and next May, I have two spare bottles of Seroxat in case I don't get to the pharmacy in time. If you can, I'd ask your GP to prescribe you an extra bottle or two just as a backup. It's really important to not miss doses.

 

I thought I'd share all this with you as doing this has eliminated the stress and worry of ordering, getting and storing Seroxat.

 

Hugs and high fives to you.

 

PS. I didn't drink once over Christmas or the New Year, and then after all of it had dinner at a friends and they were rather generous with the red wine. I suffered for it (not hangover, but intense emotional symptoms). So you're not alone in going teetotal because of this... it's just not worth it.

uk-liquid-seroxat-march2019.jpg

Edited by DeterminedAnna
Wrong date of expiry / point about missing doses.

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

 Anna thank you for replying . You are sooooo organised and I’m the opposite !! 

You made me laugh when you said about pouring it down the plug hole oooooh yes I’m with you there !! 

Ive looked at your online calendar think I’m going to pop in my diary as I always use this for work and look at it every day. Didn’t know it should be discarded after a month. 

Actually I may use diary and phone as a double reminder !!  You should see me measuring my dosage countless times before I take it checking the syringe holds the correct amount checking there’s no air bubbles in case I’ve done it too fast 💨 also my last prescription has come in a blue and white box it is GSK Seroxat but I’m worried it’s different just because of the colour on the box. Honestly this wd makes me so over the top about everything . 

I hope you’ve wrapped those extra bottles in clean socks Anna :) and don’t be selling them on the black market !!! (As if anyone would want them...!!) 

Did you change over slowly from tablet to liquid and did you notice any changes in symptoms? 

I’ve  never missed a dose of Seroxat would be too scared to. But I have with the pregabalin because I really don’t like taking it and I do forget as it was supposed to help me come off seroxat when dr thought I’d be off in a few months . Only started taking it in November 2018 and now I know I’m in for the long haul resent throwing another pill 💊 down my neck ! Anyway I’ll carry on for a while as I don’t want to “unstable “ myself any more !! 

I will ask my GP about extra bottles but I can’t see him letting me order double prescriptions he’s sooooo tight. 

 

Were going to be alright Anna we’re going to get there . Everybody recovers;  some take longer than others but just about EVERYBODY gets there sooner or later. 

Thumbs up 👍 and big bear 🐻 hugs to you ! :) 

So glad I found you On this site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
On 3/21/2019 at 2:51 AM, Longroadhome said:

 Anna thank you for replying . You are sooooo organised and I’m the opposite !! 

You made me laugh when you said about pouring it down the plug hole oooooh yes I’m with you there !! 

Ive looked at your online calendar think I’m going to pop in my diary as I always use this for work and look at it every day. Didn’t know it should be discarded after a month. 

Actually I may use diary and phone as a double reminder !!  You should see me measuring my dosage countless times before I take it checking the syringe holds the correct amount checking there’s no air bubbles in case I’ve done it too fast 💨 also my last prescription has come in a blue and white box it is GSK Seroxat but I’m worried it’s different just because of the colour on the box. Honestly this wd makes me so over the top about everything . 

I hope you’ve wrapped those extra bottles in clean socks Anna :) and don’t be selling them on the black market !!! (As if anyone would want them...!!) 

Did you change over slowly from tablet to liquid and did you notice any changes in symptoms? 

I’ve  never missed a dose of Seroxat would be too scared to. But I have with the pregabalin because I really don’t like taking it and I do forget as it was supposed to help me come off seroxat when dr thought I’d be off in a few months . Only started taking it in November 2018 and now I know I’m in for the long haul resent throwing another pill 💊 down my neck ! Anyway I’ll carry on for a while as I don’t want to “unstable “ myself any more !! 

I will ask my GP about extra bottles but I can’t see him letting me order double prescriptions he’s sooooo tight. 

 

Were going to be alright Anna we’re going to get there . Everybody recovers;  some take longer than others but just about EVERYBODY gets there sooner or later. 

Thumbs up 👍 and big bear 🐻 hugs to you ! :) 

So glad I found you On this site. 

Hi Anna the syringes came and much easier to get the right dosage with them so thank you for that.

also found the blue box medicine although Seroxat was for overseas use but contains exactly same prescription so just to let you know in case it happens to you. 

Hope all going ok with you :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

hi all

Thinking of everyone on the site and the support that we have from each other and the mods and so thankful to all who contribute. 

A question for brass monkey;

im nearly three months from updosing my Paxil from 7.5mg to 8.5mg due to a too fast taper . It took me just 3 months to go from 20mg to 7.5mg. I’m now in a bit of a predicament as I don’t know if the symptoms I am getting are wd normal for me or still instability due to taper. And therefore I don’t know whether to remain on 8.5mg or start to decrease at the end of April by 10% ? 

Im still getting new symptoms appear along with regular ones . The new ones are muscle spasms and muscle spasm pain along with headaches which are more like muscle spasm too as it comes and goes throughout the day the same as the others.  

Im being very good sticking to taking correct doses of meds and supplements no alcohol etc 

Is it normal to have new symptoms come throughout wd normal  or does this confirm I am still unstable from taper ? 

Thank you all I’m in Cyprus at the moment and the weather is awful while my daughter has just sent me a picture of her very sunny back garden back home in Birmingham oh dear .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
7 minutes ago, Longroadhome said:

hi all

Thinking of everyone on the site and the support that we have from each other and the mods and so thankful to all who contribute. 

A question for brass monkey;

im nearly three months from updosing my Paxil from 7.5mg to 8.5mg due to a too fast taper . It took me just 3 months to go from 20mg to 7.5mg. I’m now in a bit of a predicament as I don’t know if the symptoms I am getting are wd normal for me or still instability due to taper. And therefore I don’t know whether to remain on 8.5mg or start to decrease at the end of April by 10% ? 

Im still getting new symptoms appear along with regular ones . The new ones are muscle spasms and muscle spasm pain along with headaches which are more like muscle spasm too as it comes and goes throughout the day the same as the others.  

Im being very good sticking to taking correct doses of meds and supplements no alcohol etc 

Is it normal to have new symptoms come throughout wd normal  or does this confirm I am still unstable from taper ? 

Thank you all I’m in Cyprus at the moment and the weather is awful while my daughter has just sent me a picture of her very sunny back garden back home in Birmingham oh dear .. 

Ps I’m happy for any of the mods to answer my questions just asked brass monkey because of his taper from Paxil 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Pps. Think I should add I have been in poop out since August 2018

Share this post


Link to post
brassmonkey

Hi LRH. Tapering out of poop out is a long frustrating process. Most people have to taper for a very long time before they see any real change. Doing a too fast taper will probably just confuse the issue for a while. It's all about a balance of who is in control, your body or the drug. For right now a good long hold is going to be the best thing. 

 

The poopout is going to throw a lot of different symptoms your way.  Then the too fast taper is going to do the same. As time passes the body will slowly sort things out and the symptoms will stabilize and dimenish.

 

I can't get into a lot of explication atm, I'll get a chance in a few weeks. For right now don't make any changes and roll with things as best as you can. 

 

BTW the other mods have been giving some great advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
5 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Thank you for your reply much appreciated and I will do as you advice. 

If you’re still on holiday hope your having a wonderful adventure . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Well today I think I want to tell my story so that when I come to the end of my journey I can re visit. 

i am now three months on from

holding at 8.5 mg of Paxil. I want to record for people who come to this site hereafter

I  have been holding from too fast a taper from 20mg over three months to 7.5mg which was actually 7mg due to incorrect measure of syringe . Anyhow I went to 8.5 mg and have held there. Three months later I am getting new symptoms as well as the usual while still holding at this current dose.

 

Usual symptoms are:

 

lack of sense of humour ...! ( can’t think why ..!!) 

Dry blurry eyes

Anxiety different levels with cortisol spikes

Depression sometimes manageable sometimes not so 

Agitation

Sensation of worms crawling under my skin all over and hot feeling 

Intolerant to hot and cold/ body temperature 

Palpitations

Painful hip joint

 

new sympoms that have appeared recently: 

 

Migraine type headaches

Muscle spasms especially in neck that makes me have a “floaty boaty” feeling rather like having had a few drinks 

Pins and needles in hands painful nerve endings in fingers and itchy hands and feet 

 

i find these sensations very scary as I never know what I am facing in any one day as symptoms change continuously and I don’t know if any new ones will manage to derail me. As in incapacitate so that I can’t get up and go into work. I work every day and have my own business. So far I haven’t missed a day since ‘poop out’ started in August 2018 and that’s how I would like it to continue.   At the moment can’t help adding secondary fear which makes symptoms worse but I am learning to distract myself as in the house guest that I have started to ignore. 

 

ive stopped drinking alcohol and only drink decaf tea and coffee . I take low strength magnesium tablets and eat a very healthy diet with lots of fish fruit veg and chicken . 

 

Im 59 years old . Just had a birthday on 4th April!  I’m fit and go to the gym and walk my dog every day. 

Like most others on this site I wished I’d looked more into the continuous dose of Paxil I was popping for 15 years but I didn’t because up until  ‘poop out’ I managed ok on  20mg and I believed  what the doctor said  that I had a chemical imbalance. 

I long for the day I feel back to normal and spend time reading through success stories which brings me hope that one day I will write my own. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

I would like to ask if I am experiencing waves and windows or just some days accepting my situation more than others . 

 

I find i have two or three weeks of intense symptoms and then I will have one or two days of feeling like they are not so bad and I cope better only to return to the intense feelings once more. It seems to be forming a  pattern . Could this be waves and windows or am I too early into wd for this to happen ? 

Could anyone help with this question ? Thank you 😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Id also like to ask as I’m holding with the Paxil can I decrease a little with the pregabalin from 2 x 50mg a day to 3x 25mg per day . I only started taking this in November 2018 to help get me off Paxil when the dr put me on a quick taper . 

I don’t feel it does anything so I’d like to decrease a little at a time while holing the Paxil dose .

 

Alto id appreciate your advice on this thank you 😊  

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
On 4/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, Longroadhome said:

I would like to ask if I am experiencing waves and windows or just some days accepting my situation more than others . 

 

I find i have two or three weeks of intense symptoms and then I will have one or two days of feeling like they are not so bad and I cope better only to return to the intense feelings once more. It seems to be forming a  pattern . Could this be waves and windows or am I too early into wd for this to happen ? 

Could anyone help with this question ? Thank you 😊

Can a moderator help with this question please 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
On 4/14/2019 at 5:31 PM, Longroadhome said:

Id also like to ask as I’m holding with the Paxil can I decrease a little with the pregabalin from 2 x 50mg a day to 3x 25mg per day . I only started taking this in November 2018 to help get me off Paxil when the dr put me on a quick taper . 

I don’t feel it does anything so I’d like to decrease a little at a time while holing the Paxil dose .

 

Alto id appreciate your advice on this thank you 😊  

Can a moderator help with this question please 

Share this post


Link to post
Carmie
On 4/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, Longroadhome said:

Id also like to ask as I’m holding with the Paxil can I decrease a little with the pregabalin from 2 x 50mg a day to 3x 25mg per day . I only started taking this in November 2018 to help get me off Paxil when the dr put me on a quick taper . 

I don’t feel it does anything so I’d like to decrease a little at a time while holing the Paxil dose .

 

Alto id appreciate your advice on this thank you 😊  

 

Hi longroadhome, 

 

Please listen to brassmonkey. He said a couple of weeks ago not to make any changes and roll with things as best you can for now. 

 

Could you please update your signature too, and put in that you increased your Paxil, and the date you did it. Thank you. 

 

You sound like you’re going through the windows and waves pattern, like all of us here. I went through about three weeks of mainly waves myself with my last taper. I find myself lots of good distractions to cope with the waves. I just tapered a few days ago again. 

 

Please hold for now. Brassmonkey will get back to you when he’s able to.

 

Sending hugs🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

Thank you for the reply Carmie 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome
On 4/21/2019 at 8:22 AM, Longroadhome said:

Thank you for the reply Carmie 🙂

Carmie what can I take for hayfever  that will be safe to use ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Longroadhome

@carmie what can I use for hayfever that is safe to use  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell

Hi long road. I didn't hear back from you for a while.  I hope you are coping with all this nightmare?  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...