nsbk: did curcumin help with citalopram withdrawal symptoms

nsbk

was on citalpram 20mg for 6 yrs, stopped form 6 months, worse symptoms, headaches, blurred visions, chills, confusion, dizziness, muscle cramps, diarrhea.etc, not wanting to go back to antidepressant. reading a lot abt suing curcumin as a natural replacement for citalopram. just started form 2 days, hoping it will help me anyone had any experience how it helped m what did you do to get relief from symptoms. also any experience abt safforn supplement.thanks

• ChessieCat changed the title to nsbk: did curcumin help with citalopram withdrawal symptoms
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi nsbk,

Welcome to the site, and I hope we can be a place of support for you.  We have members and moderators here at various stages of healing.  Some are at the beginning of withdrawal, some are still tapering meds, others are midway through withdrawal, and others are recovered.  It's a wide community.

Let me make sure I understand your medication history correctly:

You were on citalopram (a.k.a. Celexa, an SSRI) for 6 years.  Six months ago you stopped citalopram cold turkey.  Two days ago you started taking a curcumin supplement.  Are those details correct?

We'd like to be as helpful here as possible, and it would be great if you could fill out a signature so we can get your medication history at a glance.  The signature is just like an email signature; it's a short blurb that automatically appears every time we post.  We use these signatures to quickly get a summary of each other's meds, so we can help out. Here's how to create your signature:

a.) Look at the top right of the page where your name appears

b.) Click on your name and you'll see a pull-down menu appear

c.) Under that menu, click on Account Settings

d.) You'll get taken to a new page.  Look at the left side of that page

e.) Click on Signature

f.) Fill out a short list of your medication history and dates you took the meds in the box that pops up.  (For example, you can write Sertraline 60 mgs from July 2016 to Sept 2018.)  

g.) Click Save and then you can go back to the rest of the site and keep chatting 

After you've been on this site for a while and posted on your own intro topic for a while, your first post with your detailed backstory will get pushed back by pages and pages, so the signature helps people see your concise story so they can respond.

To give you some hope to look forward to, let me assure you that I went through those symptoms, too, and I'm incredibly improved!  You asked about ways to get relief, and I will be honest that I did not have luck with supplements.  For me, I stuck with normal foods and ate as healthy as possible, but supplements seemed to cause bad luck for me.  The best relief for me was good food, lots of rest, lots of hydration with water, and it was also very important to distract myself so I didn't get hopeless.  That means I watched a lot of TV.  A lot.  Something I've said a few times on this site is that I'm not ashamed of how much time I spent just laying down and watching TV—and that's true.  That seems to be all I did for a good, long while, and I have no regrets about that.  It was what my body needed.

Also, I highly recommend checking out the Success Stories on this website, because you will read about people who have healed.  When I was in withdrawal (WD), I would print out the Success Stories and underline the most hopeful parts in pink pen.  I swear that method helped me a lot.  I've been off meds for a little over 4 years at this point, and it's a world of difference now from where I used to be when I was in withdrawal.  My body has done so much healing that it's practically miraculous.   

Can you fill out the signature using the directions I wrote above, and then can you post a little bit more about what you do on a daily basis?  What kinds of foods do you eat?  Do you do any activity, or do you allow your body to rest?    

Edited by WiggleIt

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi nsbk, 

I wanted to welcome you to SA too. I’m so sorry that you’re going through this.

Could you please fill out your signature so we can see your drug history at a glance. Thank you. 

The only two supplements recommended on SA are magnesium and fish oil. A lot of people find them helpful, but some can’t tolerate them either. Everything is trial and error when going through withdrawals because we can become sensitive to lots of things. If you decide to try these supplements, only try one at a time and start on low doses and work your way up. 

How are you doing on the curcumin? 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.