Scotty

Australian newspaper article about withdrawal

Scotty

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/nausea-panic-tears-why-wasn-t-i-warned-about-antidepressant-comedown-20190207-p50w97.html

This pIece was published in The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald last Saturday - right next to the editorial, not shoved away into the health and wellness section. The author’s own withdrawal only lasted 3 weeks, but she acknowledges the truth of protracted withdrawal. To my knowledge this is the first article about antidepressant withdrawal to appear in a major Australian newspaper, so that was progress. I’m hoping it may initiate further awareness and discussion in our mainstream media....notably lacking till now.

Lloyd

I think we will start seeing more attention focused on this in the near future. Industry can't continue to deny the severity & prevalence of withdrawal when at-least 10% of the population is taking these drugs. Notably ive opened up about my experience to family & friends and the similar stories i am hearing from them are the same as what i have been going through. I don't think ive had a single person describe their (or someone they knew) withdrawal experience as mild.

Scotty

Thanks for your response Lloyd...I certainly hope you’re right. History shows that popular consensus about drugs can eventually be changed...for example barbiturates...and benzos which used to be prescribed freely for unrestricted periods. It’s a long struggle though, which is why articles like this are so important. As well as the industry pressure,  the psychiatric norm is to deny withdrawal and often to belittle sufferers. How I would love to find one psychiatrist in this country who acknowledged and understood withdrawal....I’d travel interstate for that! Best of luck with your recovery - I’m 9 months off and still suffering quite a few disabling symptoms, mostly anxiety related. Cheers , Scotty.

Ryder
On 2/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, Lloyd said:

at-least 10% of the population is taking these drugs.

I thought it was atleast half the population. Maybe that's after the 1/2 people in this country will experience Mental ilness. Im not trying to belittle mentall illnesses here, but I feel as soon as someone is prescribed a mental illness, then they will be prescribed a pill to go with that.

Lloyd
11 hours ago, Ryder said:

I thought it was atleast half the population. Maybe that's after the 1/2 people in this country will experience Mental ilness. Im not trying to belittle mentall illnesses here, but I feel as soon as someone is prescribed a mental illness, then they will be prescribed a pill to go with that.

Seems that drugs are handed out like candy by GP's. I've been offered plenty of them after seeking help.