Sagebug: CT Prozac and benzo withdrawal

Sagebug

I was on 10mg of Prozac for 27 years. I was also on Klonopin during that time for panic disorder. I have since been off both and am having a very rough time to say the least. 

I stopped the Prozac on November 1st after just taking a dose two weeks apart. I had brain zaps and just over all feeling crappy but I was starting my Klonopin rapid taper as well (6 weeks from 2mg to 0). I felt pretty good untill 5 days after quitting the Klonopin (39 days after Prozac) and all heck broke loose. I have a laundry list of problems that I thought were due to the benzodiazipine withdrawal but stumbled on this site after researching trazadone taper ( been using 50mg for sleep) I am in complete shock. It would appear both drugs have similar effects after wd. I can't go back on the Klonopin, but wondering if Prozac would need to be reinstated. I see it's not a guarantee after being off for 3.5 months. I'm freaking out right now thinking am I suffering 2x as bad as I need to be?  Or maybe it's just the Prozac?. The Klonopin?  My quality of life is very poor right now. Feeling lost. I'm sure this has been brought up before. What should I do? Just stay off? How do I know what is causing what? Does it matter anymore? There was no real reason why I quit the Prozac, I just decided if I had to quit one, I'd quit them both.

Thank you

Prozac 10mg Started in 1995 Stopped abruptly on Nov.1st 2018

Klonopin 2mg Started in 1995 Tapered from Nov. 1st to Dec. 9th 2018 

Currently tapered down to 12.5 mg from 50mg Trazadone 3/10/2019

Tried Celexa twice in past month,  8 days and 3 days. Last time Feb 10th.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sagebug: CT Prozac and benzo withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sagebug,

Welcome to SA.

The very first thing we need is your drug history.  We need to know the dates and doses of your taper off your drugs.  If you don't know exact days please state early, mid, late month to give us a better timeline.  Please also clearly indicate what drugs you are currently taking.

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please also post your current symptoms here in your Introduction topic.

Q:  Do they seem to have a daily pattern?  If yes, please indicate that when you post please.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Please read Post #1 of this topic so we know that you understand about reinstatement:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I will ask the mods who are knowledgeable about benzos to assess your situation.

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Sage.

Welcome to SA.

When did you start the Trazodone?  Is it helping for sleep? What symptoms are you having now? 

As you post more about your previous tapers and your drug history, we'll be able to guide you in deciding if reinstatement is the right option and if so, what drug and what dose might be the best path forward. 

I updated my signature.

My current symptoms are extreme anxiety, panic, low mood, jelly legs, chills, inner tremble, insomnia, sweating feet and hands, vision is blurry, no appetite, irritable. No real pattern. Intensity is different week to week.

Trazadone works a little, sometimes I get 3-4 hours of sleep but I can be up for 3-4 days.

Hydroxyzine barely takes the edge off, maybe a placebo effect. Don't take it regularly.

I've read the reinstate article, understand it. Seems like the same as Benzos.

Thanks for your help!

• Administrator

Welcome, Sagebug.

The combination of SSRI and benzo withdrawal syndromes can be gnarly, to say the least. We must assume that your nervous system is now hypersensitive to neuroactive drugs, supplements, and even foods and treat it very gently.

Are your symptoms worse at any particular time of day? When did you start trazodone? Did you start with 50mg? Are your symptoms worse at any particular time of day?

There's a chance that a very low dose reinstatement of Prozac can help, but no guarantees. If I were you, I'd start with 0.25mg Prozac. Using a liquid is the most convenient way to take a small dose. Prozac comes in a prescription liquid or you can make your own from a capsule, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am worse everyday from 4pm to 10pm. To be honest I've always been kind of anxious during those times. I don't know why. I started at 25mg Trazadone and worked up to 100mg but 50 seems to be the sweet spot.

If I take .25 and feel bad can I just stop taking it or will it create a withdrawal issue? Can that low of a dose start acute withdrawal symptoms all over again? Reading seems to indicate a possibility? Is that right? Like as strong as the first time? 

What I'm struggling with is what is what? I would be crushed to get back on Prozac only to find out it's the benzodiazipine withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/9/2012 at 10:17 AM, Altostrata said:

When to discontinue reinstatement
If, upon reinstatement, you very soon feel worse, most likely you are sensitized to the drug and need to take a smaller dosage or, possibly, none at all.

• Sometimes reinstatement does not work. The nervous system has taken such a hard hit from withdrawal, it's destabilized beyond whatever effect the drug might have had.
  • Sometimes reinstatement not only does not work, it causes an adverse reaction from a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal.
  • If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

42 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

So if I try it once or twice and feel something bad, just stop or do I reduce?

How long do adverse reactions last?

• Administrator

How do you feel worse in the early evening?

No, 0.25mg Prozac won't cause a withdrawal issue. Post here every day so we can see what's going on.

If you have an immediate bad reaction, don't take any more of it.

Since you said benzo reinstatement was out of the question, that leaves Prozac. Since you're probably experiencing a combination of withdrawal from both drugs, it's likely a little Prozac will help a bit. Don't expect to be set right immediately, it takes time for the nervous system to settle down.

What part of California do you live in?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's some additional information which might help you to understand what is happening:

Recovery isn't linear it happens in a Windows and Waves Pattern

Withdrawal Normal Description

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

These explain it really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

AND

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

I took .5mg for two days and didn't feel well at all. ( More anxious, inner tremble, sense of dread) It reminded me of the times I wanted to quit taking it. In the past if I missed a day or two I would feel way less anxious, but then when I took it, 4-5 hours later I would get a sense of dread. I think the Klonopin masked most of it though, so I truly couldn't tell, I just knew deep down it made me feel worse. I never really did anything about it because I feared changing anything 

Is it advisable to try the Celexa again? Other than a bad headache on the top of my head I had no other complaints. I have a prescription of paxil but got scared after reading it's one of the worst to go off of. Should I try doing a standard dose of trazadone instead of the small insomnia doses?

Or seeing as it's been 3.5 months, don't try anything?

I so badly want to tough it out, but as the weeks and months go by I wonder if that's just foolish. This is 100% the worst I've ever felt and I've been through death of my entire family, life changing accident, heart problems, business failure, etc, nothing comes close. 

Thank you for any recommendations.

• Administrator

I'm sorry, I suggested 0.25mg Prozac, not 0.50mg. I am sorry you got a bad reaction.

If you have any Celexa left, you might make a liquid from it and try 0.25mg. For how to make a liquid, see Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) 

What part of California are you in?

I figured out last night I am having a reaction to the trazadone. About an hour after I take it my heart starts to pound and I get pins and needles. 

How does one taper off something that is causing a reaction? I've been taking it for almost two months, 50mg per day.

Thank you.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, Altostrata said:

I'm sorry, I suggested 0.25mg Prozac, not 0.50mg. I am sorry you got a bad reaction.

If you have any Celexa left, you might make a liquid from it and try 0.25mg. For how to make a liquid, see Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) 

What part of California are you in?

Was a typo, I did do .25.

I'm in the L.A. area.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Sagebug said:

I figured out last night I am having a reaction to the trazadone. About an hour after I take it my heart starts to pound and I get pins and needles. 

How does one taper off something that is causing a reaction? I've been taking it for almost two months, 50mg per day.

Thank you.

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

That would mean I would be taking it for quite some time? I'm a little concerned I may be having the heart qt longation problem it's known for. What does one do if it's causing a serious side effect? Still taper? 

• Administrator

The adverse reaction should decrease as you decrease the dose.

Since it's helping you sleep, you don't want to go off it too fast -- you want to continue to sleep, correct?

57 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

The adverse reaction should decrease as you decrease the dose.

Since it's helping you sleep, you don't want to go off it too fast -- you want to continue to sleep, correct?

Yes I need the sleep, was just kind of worried about the sudden symptoms. I will start taper tonight and see how I feel. If the heart gets any worse I may need to quit suddenly, which after reading this board is not a good option but not sure what else I could do. Had no idea how nasty this stuff is. Unless you really dig for info, all the Google links show this as a very "benign" medicine. I'm starting to see a pattern.. 

I'm still confused about the SSRI. 

I'm so jaded by all these meds I really do not want to start taking the Celexa. I'm so pissed right now at the thought of withdrawal from trazadone.. I just want to freak out...

I'm nearing month four off Prozac. I feel like things have not been getting worse. I've read how some get hit at month 3 or 4 so I am a little worried. Would it be wise to wait this out? Foolish? I mean there's no guarantee I will feel better, the little Prozac I did take didn't change anything, and I would just end up with withdrawal down the road, right? I have taken Celexa and nothing positive happened. Is it possible the worst it gets has already came? I do get large windows of feeling better. If I knew for fact it was from the SSRI and not the benzo, I would do it.   

Really the only thing I can't stand is the unrelenting anxiety and inner tremble and that could be from the Klonopin, right? Funny thing about the benzo is I have a prescription for it, even a large amount I saved from not taking the full amount every month. I just can't bring myself to take any. I think I'd rather die. I feel like this is all one sick and twisted joke.

I know I'm asking for the future to be predicted, but I can't stand the thought of letting all this suffering and waiting to be for not.

I sat down and really thought through my symptoms.

Somewhat in order of severity.

Derealization- This has had me so close to checking into the hospital because I feel like reality is gone, causes Panic and anxiety. I had it solid for two months and I still feel it everyday. Felt like I was living in a movie set or just feeling like the world doesn't look right. Similar to an LSD trip I had as a kid. I feel like I will never get over this , like PTSD type stuff. I've also been TERRIFIED of going crazy or locked away my entire life, so this is like living my worst fear 

Panic attacks- Not real common but shake me for days

Anxiety-- All day and night, worse from 4pm until 12am

Ears ringing- worse with amount of anxiety I am experiencing

Inner tremble that comes with pins and needles (seems to be linear with amount of anxiety)

Heart palpitations

Aching legs- Fairly common, feels sore and tender.

Insomnia- I've been up for 6 days at a time, now with trazadone I sleep 3-4 hours. Can't nap.

Blurred vision, only when real anxious

Watery mouth, don't feel sick

Depressed, just mild but I've had a few bad days

Loss of appetite-- 35lb in two months

A feeling like my forehead has wet spots on it or cool patches.

Feeling of dread 24/7 this has got better, I think it's anticipatory anxiety the more DR I have, the worse the dread..

Anger

Sensitive to light and sound sometimes

The last two weeks have been better, I used to wake up with panic attacks and stay pre-panic all day. Stomach was always messed up, wanting to die (thought of suicide) , couldn't sit still, frenzy talking and racing thoughts, brain zaps,  body would twitch me to an upright position trying to fall asleep, headaches, crying, felt like I had a sunburn inside me, sweating hands and feet, whole body sweating, foggy brain, brain felt like it was buzzing, weakness in legs. 

The DR, Panic, and anxiety are what totally crush me. I could handle the rest.

Just trying to figure out if benzo or ssri related. Seems like they both have same type of symptoms, but maybe more experience can pin these down to one or the other? 

It's kind of weird to hear about going back on being the best. Over at benzo buddies they are adamant about staying off all drugs, PERIOD. To a fault, imho.

I'm in another group that is just about panic and anxiety disorder, they don't have any medicine issues or take any. They list 90% of my current symptoms. Sometimes I wonder if most of it is just uncontrolled anxiety  I started taking these meds because of an anxiety/panic disorder.

• Administrator

You have antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. You also appear to be having an adverse reaction to trazodone. Your choice what you want to do about either.

(I would definitely reduce trazodone, though.)

I'm sorry this is so difficult and frustrating. If going off psychiatric drugs was easy, none of us would be typing on this Web site.

Please read the links we give you.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You have antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. You also appear to be having an adverse reaction to trazodone. Your choice what you want to do about either.

(I would definitely reduce trazodone, though.)

I'm sorry this is so difficult and frustrating. If going off psychiatric drugs was easy, none of us would be typing on this Web site.

Please read the links we give you.

I can't express how much it means to me that you are taking the time to help me. I truly, truly appreciate it. 

I feel frozen at this point. I am going to get off trazadone and go from there. 

I'll keep updating.

Thanks again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sagebug, 

I wanted to welcome you to SA as well. I can see that you are very scared and panicky, but we will all eventually heal. It’s just a really slow process. There will be many ups and downs, windows and waves. It’s quite a rollercoaster ride. It’s up, down, up, down.🎢🎢🎢 All of us look forward to the day when the rollercoaster ride ends. 

In the meantime though we need to find things that help us while going through withdrawals. My method has always been distractions, I’ve got lots of things I can do to distract myself from thinking about the symptoms so much. The distraction don’t take the symptoms away, but they divert my focus. I love arts and crafts, watching DVDs and Netflix, playing word games, going out in nature, photography, cranking up the music, going to concerts etc etc.

Even if I’m anhedonic or stressed I still make myself do these things. It really does help me get through the hard times.

Also check out Claire Weekes. There’s a section on her methods in coping with the symptoms in the Symptoms And Self Care forum. ChessieCat will send you a link. She also has videos on YouTube.

You are not alone in this fight. Everyone on here is going through withdrawals or has gone through withdrawals, I’ve got many years of tapering to go myself. It might be a good idea if you go to other people’s threads too and have a chat with them and support them too, then you can encourage one another. I’ve found much encouragement on here. 

Wishing you all the best with your tapering.💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

We strongly encourage members to learn and use non drug coping techniques to help get through discomfort and tough times.

Understanding what is happening helps us to not get caught up with the second fear, or fear of the fear.  This happens when we experience sensations in our body and because we don't understand them we are scared of them and then start to panic.

This document has a diagram of the body explaining what happens in the body when we become anxious:

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/AnxietySelfHelp.pdf

Audio FEMALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio MALE VOICE:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety.  The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Thank you. 

I've read Claire's book probably 3 times in the last two months. Along with DARE Response, CBT books, mindfulness books, etc. Probably 12 books over 3 months. I do guided meditating and mindfulness practice 3x a day. Take magnesium and omega, cut out sugar and gluten, exercise,  I'm trying everything I can. 

Last night I had the most anxious anger, along with no sleep. Woke up with body tingle and sore legs, tons of dread. Feel so beaten up and hopeless. 

Sometimes it feels like I'm waiting to die instead of getting better. I know that sounds so "woe is me" but that's the feeling.

Accepting and floating is all I have

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Sagebug said:

Sometimes it feels like I'm waiting to die instead of getting better. I know that sounds so "woe is me" but that's the feeling.

In the past and sometime now, I have days when I wake up and I spend all day thinking and waiting for night time so I can go back to sleep, so very similar thinking/feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update here.

I was feeling better during the days. Was able to work without much anxiety but the nights were killing me. It would slowly build to pins and needles, heart pounding, derealization creeping in, etc till I was ready to explode by midnight.. Still wasn't sleeping more than 2 hours. My wife got a referral to a psychiatrist. His qualifications are long, cognitive nueroscience ,neuropharmacology being a few , along with being a professor.

I saw him today. He is adamant I start the Klonopin and Prozac, ( slowly) so I can stabilize. He mentioned that what I had been taking is not what he would have given me and we will be making some changes. I protested and told him about protracted withdrawal syndrome and everything else I've read about kindling, paradoxical effects etc and while he didn't discount it, he said it happens but he said " you have a panic disorder, you've had it all your life, it's like a diabetic not wanting to take their insulin, you need to get stable and we'll go from there".

I took .5 Klonopin today and while I don't feel worse, I don't feel better. Tomorrow I take 2mg of Prozac and go up to 10mg in 10 days. He told me to text him if the Prozac seemed to be causing issues. He mentioned Lexapro or Zoloft as a possibility. It's bittersweet for me, I feel like I lost the war but at the same time suicide was looking better and better. I just don't have any form of peace in my life just terror and dread.

Am I doing the right thing? He assured me he wasn't going to just up and stop my meds one day, that I may need them a for quite some time. He even looked a little upset about how my doctors were treating me and this issue. Said it was all about politics and CYA.

Thoughts?

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Sagebug said:

I protested and told him about protracted withdrawal syndrome and everything else I've read about kindling, paradoxical effects etc and while he didn't discount it, he said it happens but he said " you have a panic disorder, you've had it all your life, it's like a diabetic not wanting to take their insulin, you need to get stable and we'll go from there".

This doctor is talking about "the chemical imbalance" theory. This has long been debunked. This is a thread about debunking it for "depression" (but it's also not a true theory for a so-called "anxiety disorder"): 

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

With diabetes, you can measure the levels of glucose and then you take a certain measured amount of insulin. But with a so-called "anxiety disorder", you can't measure your serotonin or your levels of GABA.  There are no objective tests for any type of so-called "mental illness". On many levels, the "diabetes analogy" that many of us have been subjected to falls apart. 

I took .5 Klonopin today and while I don't feel worse, I don't feel better.

You've been of Klonopin for 3 months. The reinstatement period for benzos is 2 - 4 weeks after coming off, so it's risky to go back on, especially at such a high dose. 

You mentioned kindling, so you're already aware of that risk. 

Tomorrow I take 2mg of Prozac and go up to 10mg in 10 days. He told me to text him if the Prozac seemed to be causing issues.

This is likely too much. You mentioned trying .25 mg Prozac earlier in your thread, per Alto's advice. How did you feel on that amount? 

On 2/22/2019 at 7:15 PM, Sagebug said:

I do get large windows of feeling better.

You mentioned having "large windows" just a few weeks ago. 

Can you tell us more about that? Are you able to sleep during windows? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sagebug, also let us know what drugs you're currently taking. Are you still on Trazadone? If not, please update your signature to reflect when you came off. Also, please add the date you started it instead of writing "currently taking" (exact dates are much better). A direct link to your signature is here:

Account - Settings - Create or Edit Your Signature

• Administrator

Very few doctors know anything about tapering or withdrawal syndrome. That psychiatrist has made the usual error of misdiagnosing withdrawal syndrome as a psychiatric disorder.

If you had a bad reaction to 0.25mg Prozac, you'll have a worse reaction to 2mg Prozac.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:01 AM, Sagebug said:

Thank you.

Are you still taking trazodone? If so, you probably are still having this adverse reaction to trazodone. Reducing trazodone should reduce the adverse reaction.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Sagebug said:

Was a typo, I did do .25.

I'm in the L.A. area.

Exactly what happened when you took 0.25mg Prozac?

Trazadone is down to 12.5 mg. Although I skipped last night.

Haven't been feeling any issues tapering. 

When I took the Prozac I got anxiety and a little dread feeling. I kind of figure it was just me being so afraid to take it causing it. I am giving it a real chance this time since I have something to help with anxiety but then again I'm not seeing a huge difference with the Klonopin. 

For the record I never really wanted to stop anything. I have had panic and anxiety since I was 16 and even when I was stable I had low levels of anxiety and panic attacks a few times a year  Although we can all agree there no such thing as chemical imbalance, I think we can all agree panic and axiety disorder is real? How is it possible that it just went away and everything I'm experiencing is just withdrawal? I still have the disorder , no? He never mentioned anything about chemical imbalance  he just said I have a disorder that never actually went away. 

I'm feeling like the consensus is I should not continue to take anything? Yesterday was my 3 month anniversary being benzo free, fourth month Prozac. Things may have for better during the day , I assume because I was so busy and didn't pay attention but like mentioned, the nights brought on such bad, bad symptoms. I truly was getting to my wits end. 

If I'm being honest, I would say I am a desperate man at this point.

Am I to expect my panic and anxiety disorder to just go away?

I could stop the benzo at anytime in the next week, right? There's no more psychical dependence?

• Administrator

After you take 12.5mg trazodone, do you have any symptoms?

33 minutes ago, Sagebug said:

When I took the Prozac I got anxiety and a little dread feeling. I kind of figure it was just me being so afraid to take it causing it. I am giving it a real chance this time since I have something to help with anxiety but then again I'm not seeing a huge difference with the Klonopin. 

34 minutes ago, Sagebug said:

Yesterday was my 3 month anniversary being benzo free, fourth month Prozac. Things may have for better during the day , I assume because I was so busy and didn't pay attention but like mentioned, the nights brought on such bad, bad symptoms. I truly was getting to my wits end. 

What exactly is your daily symptom pattern? What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? How much Klonopin are you taking now? Please update your signature.

What are the symptoms you get at night? Do they happen at any particular time in the evening?

35 minutes ago, Sagebug said:

I could stop the benzo at anytime in the next week, right? There's no more psychical dependence?

No, you cannot stop the benzo at any time, you've been taking it for 34 years. You are at least physically dependent on it.

It's up to you to decide if you want to take drugs for the panic and anxiety you felt as an adolescent. Adolescence is a time of hormonal upheaval and social confusion. Do you think you might have grown out of that by now?

You may wish to pursue non-drug methods to manage your symptoms while you are tapering and when you're off the drugs:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Sudden fear, terror, panic, or anxiety from withdrawal

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

What exactly is your daily symptom pattern? What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

Sage, it will help if you can post a drug and symptoms journal for a few days. Please use the below format and also include:

• any supplements you are taking
  • the number of hours you sleep each night

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms. We ask this because there may be something we can do to reduce the symptoms.

What we need to see for every single day over several days is what symptoms you get before and after you take your drugs. If you're not taking any drugs and have withdrawal symptoms, we still need to see your symptom pattern throughout the day:

The time of day, dosage, and severity of symptoms are essential information. Include

- Time and dosage for all drugs taken throughout the day, psychiatric and non-psychiatric.

- Following each dose, note any symptoms. If you are having a reaction to the drug, it may take hours for a symptom to show up -- that's why we ask you to keep notes all day long.

- If you're not taking any drugs, your symptoms throughout the day.

- Your sleep pattern. Since so many drugs disturb sleep, if you find you're waking in the middle of the night, it could be from a drug you took earlier in the evening. If you're not taking any drugs, there may be ways you can improve your sleep.

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, looking something like this:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

After you take 12.5mg trazodone, do you have any symptoms?

----Slight heart palpitations

What exactly is your daily symptom pattern? What times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages? How much Klonopin are you taking now? Please update your signature.

---I just, yesterday started .5 Klonopin. Today I took 2mg of Prozac and have slightly sweaty hands and mild chest discomfort.

What are the symptoms you get at night? Do they happen at any particular time in the evening?

--- starts about 4pm all the way to need at midnight to 2am dread and anxieties, reslestness, derealization, pins and needles arms and back.

No, you cannot stop the benzo at any time, you've been taking it for 34 years. You are at least physically dependent on it.

&&&I've been off it for 3 months. I've only took .5 twice now. I've read over and over it takes at least 10 days to start dependence again?

It's up to you to decide if you want to take drugs for the panic and anxiety you felt as an adolescent. Adolescence is a time of hormonal upheaval and social confusion. Do you think you might have grown out of that by now?

--That's what I thought but I've struggled with it for 33 years. It was at least under control and didn't ruin my life. I've been doing mindfulness, guided meditation, distraction , just floating with it. Like I mentioned it's been dilbilitating. And it seems to get worse 

You may wish to pursue non-drug methods to manage your symptoms while you are tapering and when you're off the drugs:

Ice been off Prozac for 4 months, and Klonopin for 3 months

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Sage, it will help if you can post a drug and symptoms journal for a few days. Please use the below format and also include:

• any supplements you are taking
  • the number of hours you sleep each night

Will do. I will say I got 8 hours sleep last night. More than last week combined

• Moderator Emeritus

Sage, you can consider the two benzo pills you've taken as rescue doses and stop.

I don't think Alto realized you had been off the benzo for 3 months and only just reinstated it yesterday. You're correct that it's safe to stop. 

2 minutes ago, Sagebug said:

Will do. I will say I got hours sleep last night. More than last week combined

Looks like the number of hours was left out of your sentence. From what you wrote, it sounds like it was a good night. 

Did the Klonopin help with sleep or did you fall asleep on your own?