SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Djibril: derealization escitalopram

Djibril

bonjour, je suis aj

Femme française de 39 ans.
voici mes médicaments pris:
ecitalopram en 2013 a 10 mg (1 an) d'arrêt brusque
tranxène en 2013 20 mg, 15 mg, 10 mg, 5 mg pendant 3 ans d’arrêt brutal. prise sans faire attention et sans atterrissage.
laroxyl pendant 5 mois, 10 gouttes au début et j'ai une goutte de goutte d'une semaine aujourd'hui, je prends 4 gouttes le soir.
Après mon arrêt soudain du tranxène, j'ai toujours des problèmes d'anxiété et surtout de déréalisation.
J'ai donc redémarré l'escitalopram en pensant qu'il allait réduire cette déréalisation, mais c'est pire depuis que j'ai recommencé. J'ai commencé à 5 mg et déjà ça a empiré, alors je voulais essayer 6 mg et 7 mg mais ce n'était pas mieux.
J'ai repris l'escitalopram depuis le 3 janvier. Je ne sais pas comment réduire ou augmenter la dose. aidez-moi s'il vous plaît, j'ai un bébé de 6 mois et c'est dur.

Google translation of above post:

hello, I'm aj French woman of 39 years. here are my medications taken: ecitalopram in 2013 has 10 mg (1 year) of sudden arrest tranxene in 2013 20 mg, 15 mg, 10 mg, 5 mg for 3 years of sudden arrest. taken without paying attention and without landing. laroxyl for 5 months, 10 drops at the beginning and I have a drop of gout a week today, I take 4 drops at night. After my sudden cessation of tranxene, I still have problems of anxiety and especially derealization. So I restarted the escitalopram thinking it would reduce this derealization, but it's worse since I started again. I started at 5 mg and it got worse, so I wanted to try 6 mg and 7 mg but it was not better. I have resumed escitalopram since January 3rd. I do not know how to reduce or increase the dose. help me please, I have a baby of 6 months and it's hard.

Edited by ChessieCat
added translation

Topic title:  Derealization,i try escitalopram but IS bad

hello, I'm aj

French woman of 39 years.
here are my medications taken:
ecitalopram in 2013 has 10 mg (1 year) of sudden arrest
tranxene in 2013 20 mg, 15 mg, 10 mg, 5 mg for 3 years of sudden arrest. taken without paying attention and without landing.
laroxyl for 5 months, 10 drops at the beginning and I have a drop of gout a week today, I take 4 drops at night.
After my sudden cessation of tranxene, I still have problems of anxiety and especially derealization.
So I restarted the escitalopram thinking it would reduce this derealization, but it's worse since I started again. I started at 5 mg and it got worse, so I wanted to try 6 mg and 7 mg but it was not better.
I have resumed escitalopram since January 3rd. I do not know how to reduce or increase the dose. help me please, I have a baby of 6 months and it's hard.

Edited by ChessieCat
reformatted for easier reading & added topic title
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Djibril: derealization escitalopram
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dear Djibril,

Welcome to our community.  We are sorry you are suffering.  

I have questions about your medication history.  Google translations can sometimes be inaccurate.  Please be patient when I ask questions because I am trying to make sure I understand everything.  I am sorry if my questions will repeat what you already wrote.

1.) What year did you start tranxene?

2.) What year did you stop tranxene?

3.) Were you taking 20 mg when you started taking tranxene?
4.) Were you taking 5 mg when you stopped tranxene?

5.) Are you currently taking 4 drop of laroxyl at night?
6.) What dosage of escitalopram are you currently taking?

(No 6 repeated)

6.) Do you live with any family who can help you?
7.) Do you write or speak any English? It is okay if you don't.  I am asking because I am curious.

Thank you!

Edited by ChessieCat
added not about repetition

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

1.)  What year did you start tranxene?

2.)  What year did you stop tranxene?

july 2017

3.)  Were you taking 20 mg when you started taking tranxene?

Yes 20 mg aften i Taken 10, 15

4.) Were you taking 5 mg when you stopped tranxene?

5mg and i 

5.)  Are you currently taking 4 drop of laroxyl at night?

yes i Take 4 , but before in september i Taken 10 

6.)  What dosage of escitalopram are you currently taking?

5 mg

(No 6  repeated by mod)

6.)  Do you live with any family who can help you?

yes, i have husband

7.)  Do you write or speak any English? It is okay if you don't.  I am asking because I am curious.

i use Google translate

Edited by ChessieCat
added questions to post
  • Administrator

Welcome, Djibril.

Do you get more anxious and other symptoms after you take 5mg escilatopram?

We often see that when people go on and off psychiatric drugs, their nervous systems become sensitized to other drugs and sometimes supplements and even foods. It's not unusual that they have difficulty with low doses of drugs they've taken before without a problem.

If your symptoms get worse after you take escilatopram, most likely the dose is too high, not too low. When it's too high, it can cause anxiety, sleeplessness, etc.

You may wish to try 4mg escilatopram. Here is our topic about how to lower your escilatopram dose Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Using a liquid is easiest. You can get a prescription for the liquid or make your own. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you for answering me, so to answer you when I started the treatment of escitalopram, yes I had a lot of anxiety, too much and insomnia, but everything went down and back as before the treatment. now i find i am anxious as before nor plusni less but my derealiz is 100 times worse. that's why I want to stop treatment. I tried 6 mg then 7 mg but nothing worked out. now I am 5 mg but I do not want more, I want to reduce to return where I was before (because I had a lot of derealisation but there is worse). I decrease from 5 mg to 4 mg? I have the liquid so I can start when? and how long should I stay at 4 mg? Thanks for your help.

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font

another question ? is the fact that my derealization has worsened in just a few weeks from the start of treatment, once stopped completely, it will finally go back as before, ie less serious than at the beginning of the treatment

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font
  • Administrator

First, I would take 4.5mg of the liquid. You can start this at any time. Please let us know how you're doing.

It appears the symptoms you're having may be from too much escilatopram.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 2/20/2019 at 6:43 AM, Djibril said:

another question ? is the fact that my derealization has worsened in just a few weeks from the start of treatment, once stopped completely, it will finally go back as before, ie less serious than at the beginning of the treatment

Hello Djibril,

Have you had the chance to take 4.5 mg as suggested by Altostrata?  How is your derealization doing now?

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Djibril, 

I wanted to welcome you to SA too. I’m sorry you are going through this, but just know that you will heal one day, we all will.  No matter what we’ve gone through our brains have a remarkable capacity for healing. 

Like Wigglelt asked, did you end going down to 4.5mg?

Just know that withdrawal symptoms are a normal process of tapering, chopping and changing medications, and stopping them. I have been on so many medications and I always stabilised again. I’ve been tapering off Seroquel for many years now and I’ve gone through lots of severe withdrawals, though after every taper I always stabilised again. Sometimes it took many months, but I always got to stabilisation again. Now when withdrawals get bad I just think back to all those times and I know stabilisation will be around the corner. We just never know when though, all we know is that we will get there. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thanks sorry for my english, i'm trench. No, I stabilised 4 mg because i don't know how Take 4,5 mg. I Take 4 mg since 20 february. But my derealization IS bad. I would like stopped escitalopram for stopped derealization. I know i don't do that but it's difficultés 

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you feel stable on 4 mg?  If you have been on 4 mg since the 20th of February, then you should stay there for approximately a month before trying to reduce dosage again.

In order to reduce with smaller doses and to follow the guideline of reducing by 10%, you can either get a prescription for liquid medication from your doctor, or you can learn to dissolve your pills and make a liquid by yourself.  In order to make a liquid by yourself, you will need to do some math calculations, and you will need to buy some measuring equipment.  

Here are instructions for how to make a liquid using pills.  This person tried using ethanol when she started her liquid taper, but later switched to using water to dissolve the pills.  She said water worked better, so you could use water for the whole process if you choose:
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/ 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Djibril, 

I’m sorry your derealisation is really bad, it is all part of withdrawals and it will eventually go. Anything we suffer while going through withdrawals will eventually disappear. It can take a long time though, I’m afraid. We just have to learn to cope the best we can with the symptoms we have.

I’ve had derealisation for nearly 25 years, not because of medication or withdrawals, but because of my illness (CFS). I’ve learnt to live with it. Your derealisation is from medication though, so you will eventually get over it. It happened when you stopped the trexene suddenly, your brain is trying to find some kind of equilibrium again and it will take time. Time is the only thing that really helps with getting rid of the symptoms we have. We can dampen down the intensity a little bit though by using different coping skills, not adding too much stress into our lives, not overdoing things etc. 

As Alto said you could have used liquid escitalopram to get down to 4.5mg. Now that you’ve been on 4mg for a while please stay there until you stabilise. It might take a little while as you’ve made quite a few changes. Please don’t just jump off the escitalopram, because it can make your symptoms even worse. You need to continue to taper off it slowly, but no more than 10% a month. 

Do you have any distractions that can help you when you find yourself anxious? It’s good to find distractions, so as to take the focus off the withdrawals symptoms. The more you stress about them the worse your symptoms will get because your ramping up your central nervous system. 

I’m really sorry you’re so anxious about what you are going through, but you will recover one day. 

Wishing you all all the best in your healing journey 💚

Edited by Carmie
Removed white space

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Hello and thank you for your message. thank you for taking the time to reassure me. it is true that after having stopped the tranxene, I started with some heir of derealisation then a few days and now it's been months that I have undergone and since I added the escitalopram, derealisation Worsened (I feel as if my body is hollow, my hands and arms are detached from my body, it's awful, I gave birth seven months ago and I do not know if this derealization is due to the fear of to take care of my baby alone during the day or if it is due to withdrawal, so she is going to leave I do not know because I do not know the cause .. I do not really distract because my baby takes me a lot time and then once she's lying down so I'm going to bed so much I'm tired ... so I do not do anything else

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Djibril, 

You are doing amazing going through withdrawals while taking care of a baby. You will eventually heal, as I mentioned, it just takes time. I was chatting to a few people on here this week that hadn’t checked in for a while and they were telling me how their symptoms had been improving. 

Continue to stay on 4mg now until you stabilise and are in “withdrawal normal.” That is when your symptoms are at a baseline, not too intense and they’ve been like that for a while. 

Take care, sending hugs🤗

sorry for not thanking you all for your help.

carnie, I did not understand well is that your derealisation will never leave since you say it has been for 25 years.

On 3/4/2019 at 12:25 PM, Carmie said:

Bonjour Djibril, 

Je suis désolé que votre déréalisation soit vraiment mauvaise, tout cela fait partie des retraits et cela finira par s'en aller. Tout ce que nous subissons lors des retraites finales par disparaître. Cela peut prendre longtemps, cependant, j'en ai bien peur. Nous devons apprendre à mieux gérer les symptômes que nous avons.

Je subis une déréalisation depuis près de 25 ans, pas à cause de médicaments ou de retraites, mais à cause de ma maladie (SFC). J'ai appris à vivre avec. Votre déréalisation est due à un médicament, alors vous finirez avec vous. C'est arrivé quand vous avez arrêté le tréxène soudainement. The time is is only a choisi de se débarrasser des symptômes que nous avons vraiment. Nous avons pu atténuer, nous avons changé, nous avons évité le stress, nos vies, etc. 

Comme alto, vous auriez pu utiliser l'escitalopram liquide pour atteindre 4,5 mg. Maintenant que vous prenez 4 mg depuis un moment, restez jusqu'à ce que vous vous stabilisiez. Cela peut prendre un peu de temps car vous avez changé. S'il vous plaît, ne sautez pas simplement de l'escitalopram, car cela pourrait aggraver vos symptômes. Vous devez continuer à réduire progressivement, mais pas plus de 10% par mois. 

Avez-vous des distractions qui peuvent vous aider à vous aider à trouver l'anxieux? Il est bon de trouver des distractions, de manière à détourner l'attention des symptômes de sevrage. Plus vous vous sentez à leur sujet, plus vos symptômes sont soulignés de la puissance de votre système nerveux central. 

Je suis vraiment désolé de vous recevoir. 

Enchantant tout le meilleur de votre chemin vers la guérison

Edited by ChessieCat
reformatted

I give my news, excuse me if I do not answer everyone my English is not mother tongue so sometimes I am so tired that I do not have the courage to speak a lot.

I am still 4 drops, I had no change concerning my derealisation which is still the but since my passage to 4 mg, I did not really have any particular symptoms but since 4/5 days, I have big neck pain and very bad eyes. should I reduce again? I specify that my initial dose was 5 mg and that I have 4 drops since February 20

Edited by ChessieCat
reformatted

Topic title:  weaning benzo and recovery escitalopram, have I spoiled my healing?

Bonjour, je n'ai plus de benzo depuis plus de 18 mois. Je voulais essayer l'escitalopram pour supprimer la déréalisation provoquée par le retrait, mais avec l'escitalopram, la situation s'est aggravée. maintenant c'est pire. Est-ce que le fait que je prenne de l'escitalopram va retarder mon rétablissement du sevrage antérieur au benzo? Je n'étais pas complètement guéri mais j'étais meilleur que maintenant.

Google translation:

Hello, I have more benzo for more than 18 months. I wanted to try escitalopram to suppress the derealization caused by the withdrawal, but with escitalopram, the situation worsened. now it's worse. Will the fact that I am taking escitalopram will delay my recovery from previous benzo weaning? I was not completely cured but I was better than now.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title, reduced font size, added translation
  • 2 weeks later...

hello, I went down on escitalopram 4 drops for 1 month (my derealization that began with this treatment is still there and in addition I had neck and eye pain at the end of the plateau but these two are parties) so I decided to decrease further

. for three days I tried to pass 3.5 drops and more ca mma derealisation more empire. what should I do? to wait to stabilize or go back to 4 drops?
I specify that before taking the escitalopram, I already had the derealization / dissociation, when I started the escitalopram it became worse +++ and now from 4 to 3.5 c ' is horrible
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 3/28/2019 at 9:12 AM, Djibril said:

wait to stabilize or go back to 4 drops?

Go back to 4 drops and hold there until you stabilize.  This may take several months.  

Two supplements that we recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Topic title:  I can not diminish escitalopram, horrible depersonalization

bonjour, j'ai pris de l'escitalopram pendant 1 mois et demi, mais il a aggravé la déréalisation que j'avais déjà et il a également ajouté la dépersonnalisation telle que je l'ai prise. Je voulais donc le réduire de 5 mg à 4 mg, puis de 4 mg à 3,80 pendant deux jours. mais depuis ces deux jours la dépersonnalisation est horrible, je ne suis plus quoi faire, car lorsque j'ai commencé l'escitalopram, je voulais arrêter d'arrêter ce symptôme mais maintenant que je diminue, cela devient de pire en pire. Je sens que mes bras et mon corps sont complètement détachés. Que faire???

Google translation:

hello, I took escitalopram for 1 month and a half, but it aggravated the derealization I already had and it also added depersonalization as I took it. I wanted to reduce it from 5 mg to 4 mg, then from 4 mg to 3.80 for two days. but since these two days the depersonalization is horrible, I'm not what to do, because when I started the escitalopram, I wanted to stop stopping this symptom but now that I decrease, it gets worse and worse. I feel that my arms and my body are completely detached. What to do???

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font, added topic title and translation

I forgot to say that two days before decreasing, I was 4 drops (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening)

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

I am not a moderator. But I have chosen to stay on the same dose to stabilise. I’ve had terrible DR too, but it has let up and gotten better in waves. 

Also, I don’t know if anyone has picked up on the fact you are taking benzodiazepines also. 

You will get through this. Slow and steady wins the race!

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

thanks india, but how i can stabilize myself, i did not have depersonalization before the prose of escitalopram and now as i try to drop to 5% it is even worse. I wanted to leave the escitalopram because it's him that made me have my first crises of depersonalization ... so I want to leave but now that I want to decrease it's worse.I am in a dilemma. what to do ? if I stay on the same dose, I only endure suffering too.

if the drug causes me an adverse reaction (depersonalization) and when I decrease, my depersonalization intensifies how do I know if I stabilize? since the depersonalization is the one since the beginning of the taking of the treatment.

in summary, when I take the drug I have depersonalization, when I decrease, depersonalization intensifies. what to do ?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Djibril, 

I’m sorry you’re struggling so much. 

How many mgs of escitalopram are you on now? 3.80? Did you taper down two days ago?

When you tapered from 5mg to 4mg, how long did you stay there before you tapered to 3.80mg? 

Are you benzodiazepines still? If so, what are you on, and what dosage?

Sending hugs🤗

oh merci pour votre réponse. Tout d’abord, je ne prends plus de benzodiazépine. J'ai arrêté de prendre du tranxene en juillet 2017.

Je prends depuis septembre 2018, amitryptilyne 10 gouttes initialement pour les migraines mais je les ai réduites à 1 gouttes par semaine pour arriver à 5 gouttes puis je suis restée stable pendant des mois (je ne me souviens plus combien).
J'ai commencé l'escitalopram en janvier 2019 à 5 mg, mais dès le début du traitement, j'ai senti que la déréalisation et la dépersonnalisation s'accentuaient. Je voulais essayer d'assembler ensuite le dosage puis de monter mais sans succès. donc je voulais le réduire à 4 gouttes (je prenais cette dose depuis le 20 février). après un mois sur 4 gouttes, j'ai essayé de descendre à 3,5 gouttes mais la dépersonnalisation s'est aggravée et je suis parti sur 4 gouttes pendant 15 jours. puis je suis tombé à 3,80 mais la dépersonnalisation est trop forte depuis que je suis tombé (il y a 3 jours).
Donc, pour résumer, j'ai 3,80 gouttes pendant 3 jours, je prends 2 gouttes le matin et 1,80 le soir.
  • Moderator Emeritus

I don’t speak French sorry Djibril, 

You will have to translate 💚

I specify that I was 5 drops initially and then I play with dosages not exceeding 6 drops, so I did 5 and 6 then 5 drops on short levels (maybe two weeks or least, I do not remember

thank you for your reply. First, I take more benzodiazepine. I stopped taking tranxene in July 2017.

I take since September 2018, amitryptilyne 10 drops for migraines but I reduced to 1 drops per week to 5 drops and I remained stable for months.

I started escitalopram in January 2019 at 5 mg, but from the beginning of the treatment, I felt that derealization and depersonalization were increasing. I wanted to try to assemble the assay and then assemble but without success. so I wanted to reduce it to 4 drops. After a month on 4 drops, I tried to go down to 3.5 drops but the depersonalization worsened and I left on 4 drops for 15 days. then I fell to 3.80 but the depersonalization is too strong since I fell (3 days ago).

So, to sum it up, I have 3.80 drops pendant 3 days, I take 2 drops in the morning and 1.80 in the evening.

merci pour votre réponse. Tout d'abord, je prends plus de benzodiazépine. J'ai arrêté de prendre le tranxène en juillet 2017.

Je prends depuis septembre 2018, amitryptilyne 10 gouttes pour les migraines mais je les ai réduites à 1 gouttes par semaine pour arriver à 5 gouttes puis je suis restée stable pendant des mois.
J'ai commencé l'escitalopram en janvier 2019 à 5 mg, mais dès le début du traitement, j'ai senti que la déréalisation et la dépersonnalisation s'accentuaient. Je voulais essayer d'assembler ensuite le dosage puis de monter mais sans succès. donc je voulais la réduire à 4 gouttes. after a month on 4 gouttes, j'ai essayé de descendre à 3,5 gouttes mais la dépersonnalisation s'est aggravée et je suis parti sur 4 gouttes pendant 15 jours. puis je suis tombé à 3,80 mais la dépersonnalisation est trop forte depuis que je suis tombé (il y a 3 jours).
Donc, pour résumer, j'ai 3,80 pendentif gouttes 3 jours, je prends 2 gouttes le matin et 1,80 le soir.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi again Djibril, 

You are making too many changes and that is why you are feeling worse. You need to hold a lot longer. At the end of March Gridley asked you to hold for a couple of months, you tapered too soon. 

You said the derealisation started with going off the trazodone, and then taking Escitalopram made it worse. Nobody knows, but the derealisation may not go away until you’re fully off the meds, and then even quite a while after you’re off the meds. We just don’t know. 

If you’ve only been on 3.80mg a couple of days, go back up to 4mg. Wait a few months before you taper again. 

I know you are in a panic because of the derealisation but you will heal from it one day. You just have to be patient. It can take a long time for our brains to heal, but they will heal. 

With the translation, I wasn’t quite sure if it said you’re taking benzodiazepines now, or you took them in the past. Are you taking them now?

Take care💚

Edited by Carmie