Jump to content
Softcell

Softcell: withdrawal - 17 yrs Seroxat / Paxil / paroxetine

Recommended Posts

Softcell

Help please.

 

I have been on 20mg  Seroxat (Paxil / paroxetine) daily for 17yrs.  Originally. Prescribed for anxiety and agoraphobia.

 

In January 2018 to July 2018 I reduced my dose to 10mg daily.  In that time only symptoms was mild head aches and few episodes of crying. Didnt feel any anxiety symptoms. 

 

From July I levelled at 10mg deciding to give myself a levelled period on 10mg as I was feeling really good.

 

In late October symptoms of weak joints and pins needles and flu symptoms arrived. This went on until late December.  I still was on 10mg daily. 

 

In the month of January 2019 I felt really better. What ever it was I thought it was passing.  

 

In early February 2019 my symptoms returned doubly worse with many other little symptoms. Trouble with sleep, noise sensitivity.  Flu, feeling on edge , internal shakes.  Brain zaps and tension head aches. and believe slight return of anxiety.  At this point I learned about withdrawal syndrome. 

 

I am unable to function at this state.  Please if anyone can help with a reinstatement question

 

As I have not stopped Seroxat completely and have been at a 10mg dose for 6 months, would my chances of reinstatement be more of Seroxat be more successful?  Rather than being off totally.  If so would it be better to taper up slowly?  Or go in with the full 20mg again? 

 

Many thanks for anyones advice.

 

Edited by Shep
reformatted for easier reading (ChessieCat), added new username to title (Shep)

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

Hi Softcell and welcome to SA,

 

Before we can make any suggestions about increasing your dose, we need some additional information.

 

Q:  Are you taking, or have you taken any other drugs?  Please put the details in your drug signature.  Instructions at the bottom of this post.

 

Q:  Did you experience any external stressors, or were you sick at any time during 2018?

 

From what you have posted this is a summary of your Seroxat:  20mg from 2011 then 10mg Jan 2018 to Feb 2019.

 

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

 

Q:  What are your current symptoms?  Q:  Do they seem to follow a pattern?  Q:  Are they worse/better at different times during the day?

 

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

  • details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

 

 

Once we have the details of your drug history we will be better able to offer suggestions.

 

This is your own introductions topic where your can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Edited by Shep
changed username to new username

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell

I do not take any other drugs.

I was not sick in 2018

No external stressors in 2018

I was prescribed  seroxat at 20mg daily in 2002 for anxiety and agoraphobia. 

I continued taking the drug all the following years.

In January 2018  to july 2018 I reduced from 20mg down to 10mg daily. 

So from july 2018 to today I now take 10mg daily. 

My symptoms are 

Body weakness

Flu like symptoms

Aches in arms and legs

Weakness of joints

Chills

Nausea

Appetite loss

 Vivid dreams

Noise sensitivity

Brain zaps

Head aches to back of head

Body jerks when falling to sleep

Loss of sleep

Slight anxiety levels

 

 

Symptoms follow no patterns 

 

Drug signature

One 20mg seroxat daily 

I took 9.30am each day with food. 

 

I take no other prescribed drugs

 

 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

Thank you for providing the additional information.

 

I will ask the other mods for their assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
WiggleIt

 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:02 PM, Softcell said:

As I have not stopped Seroxat completely and have been at a 10mg dose for 6 months, would my chances of reinstatement be more of Seroxat be more successful?  Rather than being off totally.  If so would it be better to taper up slowly?  Or go in with the full 20mg again? 

 

 Many thanks for anyones advice.


Hello Softcell,

If you decide to increase your dosage again, it's my opinion that you should go up slowly and not go right back to the full 20 all at once.

When I was switched to desipramine, I had awful flu-like symptoms all the time.  They happened when my dosages were stable, and when I was stepping down dosages.  The flu-like stuff faded with time the longer I was off meds, but even with that experience, I can't make the choice for you for whether to continue tapering down or to updose slightly.

What I can say is that either choice you make (whether to go up or down on dosage) should be made in small increments.  Microtaper down or microtitrate up, but I would not advise going straight back to 20 after spending so many months at 10.

Edited by Shep
changed username in quote and in post to new username

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
On 2/18/2019 at 6:24 AM, WiggleIt said:


Hello Softcell,

If you decide to increase your dosage again, it's my opinion that you should go up slowly and not go right back to the full 20 all at once.

When I was switched to desipramine, I had awful flu-like symptoms all the time.  They happened when my dosages were stable, and when I was stepping down dosages.  The flu-like stuff faded with time the longer I was off meds, but even with that experience, I can't make the choice for you for whether to continue tapering down or to updose slightly.

What I can say is that either choice you make (whether to go up or down on dosage) should be made in small increments.  Microtaper down or microtitrate up, but I would not advise going straight back to 20 after spending so many months at 10.

Thank you very much for you knowledge.  I will commit to staying on 10mg. Hopefully I will level of with the symptoms in some time. Then from there either stay on or taper very slowly down . 

Edited by Shep
edited to reflect new user name

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell

 

On 2/18/2019 at 6:38 AM, Softcell said:

Thank you very much for you knowledge.  I will commit to staying on 10mg. Hopefully I will level of with the symptoms in some time. Then from there either stay on or taper very slowly down . 

 

Just another two questions please.

Was my decrease in dose considered fast?  

Also please what are the chances of being stable at 10mg?

Many thanks

 

Edited by Shep
fixed quote to reflect new user name

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Welcome, Softcell.

 

 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:02 PM, Softcell said:

From July I levelled at 10mg deciding to give myself a levelled period on 10mg as I was feeling really good.

 

In late October symptoms of weak joints and pins needles and flu symptoms arrived. This went on until late December.  I still was on 10mg daily. 

 

In the month of January 2019 I felt really better. What ever it was I thought it was passing.  

 

In early February 2019 my symptoms returned doubly worse with many other little symptoms. Trouble with sleep, noise sensitivity.  Flu, feeling on edge , internal shakes.  Brain zaps and tension head aches. and believe slight return of anxiety.  At this point I learned about withdrawal syndrome. 

 

Did you forget or skip any doses in October or January? What time of day do you take Paxil? Did you make any changes in your schedule?

 

Taking Paxil inconsistently can cause withdrawal symptoms such as you describe.

 

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Edited by Shep
changed username in quote and in post to new username

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
29 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, AM.

 

 

Did you forget or skip any doses in October or January? What time of day do you take Paxil? Did you make any changes in your schedule?

 

Taking Paxil inconsistently can cause withdrawal symptoms such as you describe.

 

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

My intention was to  continue taking 10mg seroxat from july 2018 I

  I did not miss any dose in october or january or any month from july.

I always take the drug at 9.30am each say with food 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

That is unusual. You had 2 bouts of these withdrawal symptoms. Did you take any other drugs in October or January? Antibiotics, perhaps?

 

You might try this: A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

 

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
21 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

That is unusual. You had 2 bouts of these withdrawal symptoms. Did you take any other drugs in October or January? Antibiotics, perhaps?

 

You might try this: A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

 

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

 

I did take 4 pain killers one each day for 4  days in  January. About a week before this started again actually. 

I have already started on magnesium after reading the links earlier.  

Thank you very much for all your help. 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

 

17 hours ago, Softcell said:

I did take 4 pain killers one each day for 4  days in  January. About a week before this started again actually. 

 

 

 

Why did you take the pain killer?

 

What sort or pain killers?

 

 

What dose?

Edited by Shep
changed username in quote new username

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

It's possible the drugs you took reacted with seroxat, expedited its metabolism, and caused withdrawal symptoms.

 

The two bouts destabilized your nervous system. It is now hypersensitive to drugs.

 

You may find taking a bit more seroxat, even 11mg, stops the withdrawal symptoms. A little goes a long way when the nervous system is sensitized.

 

This topic explains how to make a small increase: Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

 

The easiest way to add 1mg is with a liquid, for which you can get a prescription or make your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
7 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

 

Why did you take the pain killer?

 

What sort or pain killers?

 

 

What dose?

The drug was celebrex 100mg

I tablet each morning for 4 days

It was for a bad back. 

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

 

9 hours ago, Softcell said:

The drug was celebrex 100mg

 

From wiki:

 

Celecoxib, sold under the brand name Celebrex among others, is a COX-2 selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Edited by Shep
changed username in quote new username

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

 

From wiki:

 

Celecoxib, sold under the brand name Celebrex among others, is a COX-2 selective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Yes it was this drug

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell

Topic title:  sufferers introduction

 

New topic to introduce myself here, I landed on this site confused and with running symptoms, looking for instant answers. I've  spent a couple of days reading the extensive postings, everything twice or 3 times due to my current state of mind situation.  So far I have had my questions answered and corresponded for information. Briefly  I have been on 20mg  seroxat daily for 17yrs.  Originally  prescribed for anxiety and agoraphobia. 

 

In january 2018 to july 2018 I reduced my dose to 10mg daily.  In that time only symptoms was mild head aches and few episodes of crying. I did not  feel any anxiety symptoms. 

 

From july I levelled at 10mg deciding to give myself a levelled period on 10mg as I was feeling really good.

  In late october symptoms of weak joints and pins needles and flu symptoms arrived. This went on until late December.  I still was on 10mg daily. 

 

In the month of January 2019 I felt really better. So what ever it was I thought it was passing.  

 

In early February 2019 my symptoms kicked in doubly worse with many new symptoms. Have had some really helpful advice from the moderators as to why my symptoms may of came back. 

 

At the moment its Fresh utter disbelief and shock.  Life has just changed. I opened the door for me and my family to hell. That's how I feel.  Now I know that my reduction was way fast,  now the fallout begins.  I hope to somehow function and post on the the site, but I'm not the best at finding what is where and so on. Any correspondence would be appreciated greatly.  I feel for all the suffers here and all over 

 

Reason for edit:  I am confused and shaking hands with withdrawal

 

 

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing, topic title and member's edit reason to bottom of post

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

I've moved the new topic to your existing Introduction topic.  Each member has only 1 Introduction topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  Please continue to add to this topic.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Softcell, did you try 11mg paroxetine?

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
16 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I've moved the new topic to your existing Introduction topic.  Each member has only 1 Introduction topic where they can ask questions about their own situation and journal their progress.  Please continue to add to this topic.  Thank you.

Thank you.  I am insure how the site works.  Also not the best at learning. 

Thanks again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
12 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Softcell, did you try 11mg paroxetine?

No I didn't.  I'm  not a hero and sticking it out. As no guarantees with increasing. I just generally frightened of upsetting the system even more.  Right or wrong I don't know . Thank you very much for asking much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

If I were you, I'd take 11mg. You might need just a bit more to get on the road to stability.

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If I were you, I'd take 11mg. You might need just a bit more to get on the road to stability.

That's the big thing I MIGHT need a little bit. I would love to have it.  Its nearly 14 months since started reduction, with 8 months on 10mg.  Its a hard  choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
2 hours ago, Softcell said:

 

That's the big thing I MIGHT need a little bit. I would love to have it.  Its nearly 14 months since started reduction, with 8 months on 10mg.  Its a hard  

 

 

The reason im worried is if I take 1mg more is  that i will confuse or upset my brain and do further damage. Brain saying oh no not again.   As to holding at 10mg the brain is adjusting to regularity and just withdrawing.   I really dont know.  If I.had the intelligence I wouldn't of done this stupid withdrawal. 

 

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata
On 2/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, Softcell said:

I am unable to function at this state.  Please if anyone can help with a reinstatement question

 

If increasing to 11mg seems too much to you, you might consider 10.5mg.

 

If you find your condition tolerable, by all means, continue to hold at 10mg. You might find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

 

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
39 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

 

If increasing to 11mg seems too much to you, you might consider 10.5mg.

 

If you find your condition tolerable, by all means, continue to hold at 10mg. You might find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

 

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

I will have to think very deep about it. Currently  my anxiety and depression are holding good.  So i'm also worried what an increase might have on those also.  Please may I ask if there is any pattern of symptoms over the course. Or is everything just random.  Also is there any serious threat to any organs or parts of the body due to symtoms..  I've been hit with a hot burning  wave through the body with burning  limbs, also large stomach cramps that caused disruption and reflux tonight. First time in this magnitude.   I thank you for the correspondence and helpful advice. Its a very lonely and difficult time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
4 hours ago, Softcell said:

I will have to think very deep about it. Currently  my anxiety and depression are holding good.  So i'm also worried what an increase might have on those also.  Please may I ask if there is any pattern of symptoms over the course. Or is everything just random.  Also is there any serious threat to any organs or parts of the body due to symtoms..  I've been hit with a hot burning  wave through the body with burning  limbs, also large stomach cramps that caused disruption and reflux tonight. First time in this magnitude.   I thank you for the correspondence and helpful advice. Its a very lonely and difficult time. 

I.am very sorry to keep you busy with my thoughts.  I have a rather severe burning on my right side over my ear this morning  everything else is pretty calm.  I had no sleep at all though due to last nights episode.   Just another question I would like to ask is my symptom delay normal.  I started to taper now 13 months ago.  Joint and flu symptoms was appeared 4 months ago, but there was no head trauma until about 2 weeks ago.   Any ideas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
26 minutes ago, Softcell said:

 

Update on my symptoms.

Over the last 3 days have developed the restless legs.  Seem to be on an off throughout the day.  

A strange feeling also in the end of my private part. Again coming and going. 

Loss of appetite and nausea. 

A regular burning over the right ear, Rather intense at times. Lasts  1 to 2 hours. 

Pressures back of head. 

Periods of burning in the calf and shins.

Joint weakness wrists and hands mainly.

Also sometimes get the brain zap feeling in the base  of the spine buttocks area. 

Still getting the body or limb jerks when dropping to sleep.

Sleep is somewhat difficult

The brain zapps have eased a little though. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
SkyBlue

Wow, you're really getting hit with intense symptoms. One thing that comes to mind for the restless legs is topical magnesium (applied as lotion or spray).  I've found his helps with the rls I get on more moderate exercise days. Please see the thread on magnesium for more info. Hang in there, sc!

Share this post


Link to post
SkyBlue
On 2/21/2019 at 2:28 AM, Softcell said:

I.am very sorry to keep you busy with my thoughts.  I have a rather severe burning on my right side over my ear this morning  everything else is pretty calm.  I had no sleep at all though due to last nights episode.   Just another question I would like to ask is my symptom delay normal.  I started to taper now 13 months ago.  Joint and flu symptoms was appeared 4 months ago, but there was no head trauma until about 2 weeks ago.   Any ideas? 

 

Hi Softcell,

No need to apologize for questions--that is what this site is here for.

 

As you know, 20 to 10 is a huge adjustment for the nervous system. Have you given any other thought to Alto's suggestion, above, to try 10.5 and see if it brings relief? It's true that it is an unknown, and of course totally up to you, but it's important to consider. As she said, if you're functioning fine, continue as you are.

 

As far as patterns: we are dealing with extremely complicated trauma to the human central nervous system, so it can be an "anything goes" scenario as far as when symptoms appear and disappear. Generally speaking, though, people tend to notice a 'windows and waves' pattern as discussed here: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/ Keeping track of your own symptoms can help determine your own patterns.

 

Try not to worry about permanent damage to organs. it seems that most withdrawal-related problems heal with time.

Edited by SkyBlue
spaces

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell

Many many thanks for your reply.  Its very tempting to reinstate 0.5.  I know  its a shot in the dark. My concerns are  that I've been on 10mg for 8 months now, isn't this really a long time.? As I'm very scared to destabilise the system yet again. Then it could possibly make me worse.  Is your theory of reinstatement of 0.5mg based on my personal situation of still being on 10mg,. That it could bring success. Or is it a  general rule,  no matter what dose anyone is on or off for that matter. 

Many thanks agan .

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell

CRASHED.   exceptional poor health.  I've hit rock bottom.  Such a massive wave of hurt in the chest area.  Muscle spasms,  pains all over.  My head is just a pressured can .  Stomach in turmoil. List is endless.  My hand shakes to write. 

No sleep 2 nights.  I'm here reading 24/7 .  I found the thread Delayed withdrawal. It fits me to a T.  I was doing great. A stressor pushed me over. I don't know what. Maybe a pain killer. Right now I cant read anymore.  I want to get stable. Get to work  I want to up dose, but after 8 months will it damage me more. How long will up dosing  take.  If I stay here like this  it could be years.  I have a mortgage and family.  I haven't worked.  For months.   This is only my problem. Its not your fault.  I'm in destruction, my family are in hell now.  Future uncertain. I know there no quick fix. Almighty scared.  

Share this post


Link to post
Softcell
1 hour ago, Softcell said:

CRASHED.   exceptional poor health.  I've hit rock bottom.  Such a massive wave of hurt in the chest area.  Muscle spasms,  pains all over.  My head is just a pressured can .  Stomach in turmoil. List is endless.  My hand shakes to write. 

No sleep 2 nights.  I'm here reading 24/7 .  I found the thread Delayed withdrawal. It fits me to a T.  I was doing great. A stressor pushed me over. I don't know what. Maybe a pain killer. Right now I cant read anymore.  I want to get stable. Get to work  I want to up dose, but after 8 months will it damage me more. How long will up dosing  take.  If I stay here like this  it could be years.  I have a mortgage and family.  I haven't worked.  For months.   This is only my problem. Its not your fault.  I'm in destruction, my family are in hell now.  Future uncertain. I know there no quick fix. Almighty scared.  

Just to add the main.reason.for not sleeping for the past nights are hypnic jerks. Each time I drop of im awakened by a body jolt

Share this post


Link to post
julia955

Hang in there Softcell, a lot of your symptoms sound incredibly similar to mine (I was on SSRis for the same amount of time). I am almost a year away from taking my final dose, and four years away from when I started tapering (though my tapering was very irregular and fast and erratic constantly going up and down/cold turkeying, so I believe it lengthened my recovery time tremendously) and things have improved astronomically. I get whole weeks with barely any symptoms now and am still improving. The horrendous pain/spasms you talk about is very real and it will improve with time.

 

In the meantime, my biggest piece of advice would be to find it in you to accept what is happening and just rest. That mentality of desperately and frantically wanting to get back to life in some ways just lengthens the process by stressing and agitating your mind and body more. Your body needs rest and as little stress as possible right now, and eventually you will be able to go back to your life! You WILL get better, and we all support you. Like other users I also recommend a good quality, preferably liquid, magnesium. It by no means gets rid of the pain but it does take the edge off a lot and is good for sleep too. There is also a supplement called "Muscle Cramp/Tension Formula" that I found helped a lot during the worst of my symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...