SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Softcell: withdrawal - 17 yrs Seroxat / Paxil / paroxetine

Softcell

• Administrator

There is no additional health risk in increasing your paroxetine dosage by 0.5mg. Be sure to keep notes to track the effect every day.

Stretching exercises for your legs and playing very soft music while you're sleeping may calm the hypnic jerks, see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Magnesium oil may be rubbed onto your legs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Softcell

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Longroadhome

Hello.  After continued symptoms. I decided to increase the dose by 1mg.  Day one and about  2 hours after I did feel quite bad with waves of feeling really weak and ill. Lasted a few hours.  Head was relatively clear.  Second day soon after taking I have waves of feeling weak and a little dizzy. Was also incredibly shaking hands for a good couple of hours then went off.   In the afternoon I felt reasonably good.  By the evening the head feelings returned, but slightly different. Back right side of head  is tingly and buzzy.  With a heavy stuffy feeling all around. Also some sharp short light burning zaps around the head. .  My mood is ok at the moment.  Not sure now what to do.  If this is adverse effects due to increase and I've upset the system again. Or is my mind playing games and making me feel bad.  Any ideas as to carry on and push through or stop. 

Also I would like to say I really appreciate everyone's helpful knowledge and kind words of encouragement. 

2002 to 2018. 20mg seroxat daily. 

January 2018 to july 2018  tapered 20mg down to.10mg

10mg daily now from july 2018. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It seems like increasing to 11mg? is too much.  It could be that reducing back to 10.5mg might be better.

I'll check with the other mods to see what they think.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Yes increased to 11mg.  My head does  feel different and throbbing.  Would it effect me that fast after only two days

• Moderator Emeritus

What you have reported is that the same thing happened each time.  If it had only happened once then we wouldn't be able to say.

When I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg I suffered severe cog fog for 2 weeks and got to the stage that I was not able to type.  Because I have been a typist for 40+ years I knew that something was wrong.  I had joined SA a few days before this happened and they had suggested taking more Pristiq.  I did this and about 4 hours later I was able to type again.

I had a similar thing happen when I started tapering "properly".  I reduced from 75mg down to 67.5mg (a 10% reduction) but I had started tapering too soon.  A couple of days after reducing I had bad ear pain and I took some OTC cold medicine.  It didn't do anything.  I then updosed to 70mg and once again, several hours later, the withdrawal symptom cleared.

So, yes, it is possible to feel the effects so soon.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you  for your reply.   It funny because I had a couple of hours feeling good.  And despite the poor head pressure and also my body feels like on edge of a jump.  I feel in good spirits. Ive the choice to make in 3 hours when I take my next pill.  To stay up or reduce back. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be better to drop to 10.5mg

Unfortunately my taper up or down is rather crude. I only have the 20mg pills and shaving off using scales. So my method is not so precise.  I am going to try and source the liquid seroxat.  But what then. I haven't much clue in using that either.  Is there a method of getting the correct dose using just the pills.    Any links on how to use either properly and measure the correct dose. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You can make your own liquid from tablets.  Dissolve 20mg tablet in 20mL water gives you a 1:1 ratio.  That is each 1mL of solution will give you 1mg dose, so 10.5mL = 10.5mg dose.

If you dissolve 2 x 20mg tablets in 40mL water you will have get 3 doses of 10.5mg out of it.  Keep it covered in the fridge.

Use the same equipment and do everything the same way each time.  Even measuring the liquid on the same area of the bench or table.

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

If I done the water method, is the pill totally disolvable  there seems to be a sediment at the bottom in cold water or better  hot water?can I then inject that in a cup of tea or fluid or food. As I have reflux and taking it crude will give me more aggravation. 

Also the same would apply for the liquid seroxat 10.5ml. Which I will try to get. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I suppose you could add it to something, but you will need to do the same thing each time and you would also need to make sure that you drank/ate the whole thing.

I think it would be better to eat a bit of food and take it "as is" and then eat more food.  At least then you will know that you are getting a consistent dose.

Unfortunately my taper up or down is rather crude. I only have the 20mg pills and shaving off using scales. So my method is not so precise.  I am going to try and source the liquid seroxat.  But what then. I haven't much clue in using that either.  Any links on how to use that properly and measure the correct dose 

I really thank you for your replies today. 

May I ask if the pill is totally dissolves in water as there seems to be a sediment in the bottom? 

• Moderator Emeritus

The tablets contain fillers.  The drug is dissolved in the water.  But give it a stir before extracting your dose.

Thank you.  For all your help this morning.  I really appreciate all the advice. .   

• Administrator

Please don't use hot water to dissolve a tablet, it could destroy the drug. Use room temperature water at most.

As you're taking 10.5mg (??) now, I would take 1/2 20mg tablet plus the rest (0.5mg) in liquid. When you mix up the liquid, you can keep it in a tinted, capped container in the refrigerator for 4 days or so.

FYI Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alto for those suggestions. 😊  I didn't even think about taking a combination of tablet and the extra 0.5mg in liquid.  That would be a much better way to get the needed dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Softcell, 

Just thought I’d drop by and say hi and welcome you to SA as well, even though you joined two weeks ago. 

Yes, it’s a good idea to take some of the tablet and some of the liquid as Altostrata mentioned. That’s what I did when I first started water titrating my medication. Now I water titrate my whole tablet. It’s best to go from tablet to liquid slowly otherwise you can go into waves from the formula changes. 

At the time I didn’t know that’s what I was supposed to do, but I did it for convenience. I only learnt about doing crossovers recently. Last year I changed from water titrating a tablet to doing the same thing with a capsule, without doing a crossover. I went through three months of waves. It was a formula change too. I decided to go back to water titrating my tablet again, because it’s more accurate than compounding formulas. Anyway, this time I did a crossover, and it was smooth sailing.

Wishing you all the best in your healing journey 💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:51 PM, Altostrata said:

Please don't use hot water to dissolve a tablet, it could destroy the drug. Use room temperature water at most.

As you're taking 10.5mg (??) now, I would take 1/2 20mg tablet plus the rest (0.5mg) in liquid. When you mix up the liquid, you can keep it in a tinted, capped container in the refrigerator for 4 days or so.

FYI Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Yes I am on the 10.5 now for  two days.  Near constant trouble in the head, all over pressure and worst pain above the ears. Gets very intense in the evening.  Dont know if to keep on this and see if it calms, or go back down. 

• Administrator

When did these symptoms start?

It will take at least 4 days for a dosage increase to take full effect. Please keep daily notes on paper with times of day for when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

When did these symptoms start?

It will take at least 4 days for a dosage increase to take full effect. Please keep daily notes on paper with times of day for when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

The constant head trauma started when I increased the dose. Was four days ago now.  I'm now extra increased noise sensitivity.  I take the drug at 9.30am.  I seem to get a even  more intense head around early evening and lasts for about four hours, then eases off.  There it still remains but not so strong 

• Administrator

That's not a good sign for increasing the dose. I would go back to 10mg. Very often, more is not better.

Please keep daily notes on paper with times of day for when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

• Moderator Emeritus
43 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes on paper with times of day for when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 4:56 AM, Altostrata said:

That's not a good sign for increasing the dose. I would go back to 10mg. Very often, more is not better.

Please keep daily notes on paper with times of day for when you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

Hi. I thank you again for your help. Sorry I haven't been here a while. I'm afraid its been chaotic symptoms and life changing structurally. I will try my best to start  a daily log. 

44 minutes ago, Softcell said:

Hi. I thank you again for your help. Sorry I haven't been here a while. I'm afraid its been chaotic symptoms and life changing structurally. I will try my best to start  a daily log. 

4 hours sleep

2am.    Woke up.

2am to 6am.   broken sleep. Laboured breathing.    Head ache. Body pain

6am to 9.30am.   Head ache,  waves of limb/body pain, nausea,

7.30am   bowl cereal  2 capsules fish oil

9.30am   breakfast toast 10mg seroxat

9.30am to 12.30am  head ache, waves  limb/ body pain, on off nausea. 

12.30pm  lunch

12.30pm to 6pm.   Head ache, waves of limb/body pain nausea,  flu like

6pm. Dinner.  250mg  magnesium glycinate capsule. 

6pm to 10pm. Head ache. Waves of limb/ body pains nausea. 

10pm .  Sleep.  

Some form of head trauma is all day.  Limb/body pains, sharp stabs, aches, burning, on off all day. 

flu like, weak limbs, nausea seems to come in waves through the day.

Inner restlessness  usually in mornings.

Some cases of slight anxiety on social visits. 

• Administrator

How much Seroxat are you taking now, at what time of day? Did you go back to 10mg? When was that? Are you taking any other drugs?

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How much Seroxat are you taking now, at what time of day? Did you go back to 10mg? When was that? Are you taking any other drugs?

I tried an updose for two days on feb 27/28 but felt worse. Went back down to 10mg and have been there since now for 17 days. I take the seroxat religiously at 9.30am with food.  I take no other prescription medications at all.  I have 2 capsules of fish oil in the mornings and I have a 250mg capsule of magnesium Glycinate at 6pm with food. I sometimes take a Gaviscon supplement for reflux  in the evenings.

March 17

5 hours sleep

3am.   woke up

3am to 7am.  feeling inner shakes,  usual head trauma.  limb weakness/ bone/pains, muscle twitches. Funny penis feelings

7am. Cereal with fish oil capsules

9.30am. Breakfast with 10mg seroxat

9.30 to 12pm.  Head trauma, limb weakness/bone pains twitches 

12pm.  Symptoms got more intense

1pm.  Lunch

1pm to 6pm.  Usual symptoms but all eased off 

6pm. Dinner with 250mg magnesium capsule

6pm to 10pm  symptoms eased off still particularly the head with only sporadic spasms. 

Usual daily symptoms with a few body jerks. Funny genital area feelings that lasted the morning.  Lots of sharpe sporadic pains in lower arms hands and above ankles. A couple of episodes of lump in throat and tight throat when talking to people. 

• Administrator

Please add the updose attempt to your signature.

You might take more fish oil and magnesium in the evening. See

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You have withdrawal syndrome. Seroxat is very difficult to go off.

Do you feel better in the afternoons? That might be the Seroxat taking effect.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, Softcell said:

Unfortunately my taper up or down is rather crude. I only have the 20mg pills and shaving off using scales. So my method is not so precise.  I am going to try and source the liquid seroxat.  But what then. I haven't much clue in using that either.  Any links on how to use that properly and measure the correct dose 

Hi Softcell,

I started liquid seroxat a few years ago (Netherlands). I use two seperate syringes to measure. One upto 5 ml and the other (small 1ml one) for accurate small measurements such as 0.58 ml.

The fluid tastes like sweet orange. I personaly don't combine pills and fluid (would however be possible). Sight problems and (noise) or other CNS related sensitivity are typical WD symptoms. For me also diarea/stomache ache, feeling sick and restless and being more noisy and clumsy myself (dropping things more often etc.).

Sight issues---> I've bought glasses and then suddenly my normal sight was back again ;). This and other frequently reoccurring symptoms help me to figure out when i'm in WD.

Bye Seb

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).

Mornings seen to be worse,  Yes I do feel better around lunch times and through the afternoons, but it is not always the case.  I am getting magnesium oil instead of capsules.  

Should I continue with my daily log of symptoms here also?  

13 hours ago, Softcell said:

I tried an updose for two days on feb 27/28 but felt worse. Went back down to 10mg and have been there since now for 17 days. I take the seroxat religiously at 9.30am with food.  I take no other prescription medications at all.  I have 2 capsules of fish oil in the mornings and I have a 250mg capsule of magnesium Glycinate at 6pm with food. I sometimes take a Gaviscon supplement for reflux  in the evenings.

March 17

5 hours sleep

3am.   woke up

3am to 7am.  feeling inner shakes,  usual head trauma.  limb weakness/ bone/pains, muscle twitches. Funny penis feelings

7am. Cereal with fish oil capsules

9.30am. Breakfast with 10mg seroxat

9.30 to 12pm.  Head trauma, limb weakness/bone pains twitches 

12pm.  Symptoms got more intense

1pm.  Lunch

1pm to 6pm.  Usual symptoms but all eased off 

6pm. Dinner with 250mg magnesium capsule

6pm to 10pm  symptoms eased off still particularly the head with only sporadic spasms. 

Usual daily symptoms with a few body jerks. Funny genital area feelings that lasted the morning.  Lots of sharpe sporadic pains in lower arms hands and above ankles. A couple of episodes of lump in throat and tight throat when talking to people. 

Updosing takes at least 4 days before positive effects take place. The things you noticed first two days were (added) side effects of seroxat in general.

I would advice following altostrata's advice, start with a small updose such as 10,5 mg in total, then wait out for say one week. The goal of small updose is to create a little releave. It seems your body and mind are still intensly coping with big cut from 20 to 10 mg. This took me approximately 1-2 years (5-10% method) if i remember well.

Further please investigate or ask around what type magnesium is best. I personally use magnesium citrate (might be the dutch terminology). My gf also sells this to animals who experience stress. Other types have less effect on nerve system.

Bye Sebas

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).

Thanks for your advice. In the two days I updosed I did wonder if I just had a coincidence wave of withdrawal symptoms. So only two days updose wouldn't of had this effect.  I would  say my head symptoms have  calmed a lot since I updosed, but body symptoms have worsened since ive been back at 10mg.  So it it still tempting to have another go at updosing.  But very scary to do so due to the head trauma at that time.   I have been on the 10mg since july 2018, isnt it a long long time to reinstate, or does it help a little that I am actually still on the drug itself, rather than off it completely.

It was only only a two weeks ago I updosed only for two days.  Would this small amount and time  cause such fast adverse effects. Or was it withdrawal wave timings.  Its thrown in the mix again to attempt updose to ease symptoms, or carry on at 10mg still and suffer.  My mind control is good for now. No mental symptoms  so far. Only physical.    I had set on staying on 10mg. But updosing has raised its head again. 

Yes I'm back again. Reading all the reinstatement info I can find here. I cannot sleep,  reinstatement is  in my mind again.   Just some thoughts though.  I done good on seroxat  I functioned pretty normally apart from no libido. I take no other drugs and have always been on the same seroxat drug and dose of 20mg.  I reduced to 10mg eight months ago now. Was it too long ago . Have physical symptoms  set in too deep now at 5 months for reinstatement.  I read 10mg is below therapeutic dose.  Is this true? But I see some people have reinstated with small amounts and benefits found after being totally off the drug for sometime.  My head symptoms are still there but have reduced in severity for now anyway. I am pretty fine mentally with concentrating and thoughts. Emotions are pretty stable.  Only body physical symptoms have become worse. In last two weeks.   I know updosing slightly can be hit or miss.  I only done two days updose before. Did it really register in my body. Did I have adverse effects? Was I in a symptom wave already during the two day updose.  Its a case of sticking with withdrawal that could last for an age, or a increase that could ease my symptoms. Could I stick extra symptoms related to withdrawal of reinstatement.  As I'm alone all day now after I cant work in this condition. My wife is now out to work to support us.  Should I even be thinking about this again.  

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Softcell said:

I read 10mg is below therapeutic dose.  Is this true?

Therapeutic dose is an arbitrary term used by the pharmaceutical companies.  SA prefers the term the lowest effective dose.

1 hour ago, Softcell said:

Yes I'm back again. Reading all the reinstatement info I can find here. I cannot sleep,  reinstatement is  in my mind again.   Just some thoughts though.  I done good on seroxat  I functioned pretty normally apart from no libido. I take no other drugs and have always been on the same seroxat drug and dose of 20mg.  I reduced to 10mg eight months ago now. Was it too long ago . Have physical symptoms  set in too deep now at 5 months for reinstatement.  I read 10mg is below therapeutic dose.  Is this true? But I see some people have reinstated with small amounts and benefits found after being totally off the drug for sometime.  My head symptoms are still there but have reduced in severity for now anyway. I am pretty fine mentally with concentrating and thoughts. Emotions are pretty stable.  Only body physical symptoms have become worse. In last two weeks.   I know updosing slightly can be hit or miss.  I only done two days updose before. Did it really register in my body. Did I have adverse effects? Was I in a symptom wave already during the two day updose.  Its a case of sticking with withdrawal that could last for an age, or a increase that could ease my symptoms. Could I stick extra symptoms related to withdrawal of reinstatement.  As I'm alone all day now after I cant work in this condition. My wife is now out to work to support us.  Should I even be thinking about this again.  Also as I am feeling a little better in the  afternoons after my morning 10mg seroxat, is my brain crying out for more. Shall I try and give it some again